GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Cost of CPO Warranty for GL coming off lease

Old 08-19-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL450
Cost of CPO Warranty for GL coming off lease

Hey Again - my 2015 GL450 is coming off lease in Jan 2018 and I have already decided that I'm going to purchase the car. The new 2018s are pretty much the same car and there's not other luxury 3-seater of this size on the market currently.

The dealer is already calling to have me buy it out early given that August is "CPO month".

He's quoting me $2,700 for the 1 year CPO warranty and then an additional absurd $4,500 for the extra 2 year extended warranty.

I know there are many dealers that will negotiate and offer lower pricing on the extended two year warranty, but I wanted to know if dealers will negotiate the CPO 1 year warranty?

Second question, my car will need new brakes and tires soon. If I have MB CPO the car before the "replace brake light" comes on, will they be forced to replace the brakes and possibly tires "free of cost" when they CPO the car?

I'm trying to see if I can get a better price on the CPO warranty and have them replace the brake pads and rotors (since they'll be under the CPO limit) for "free".

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
That dealer ain't doin you any favors, over 7k for CPO and warranty. You should just ask for a extended warranty. MY 2014 with a 3yr/36k extended warranty was 2700. I bought it when the car was new but it should cost you under $3600 now, while you ML is is under factory warranty. Look up ext warranties in this forum, there are some good MB dealerships that will sell you one, you don't have to buy local
Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I might add that the if you insist on buying your GL, add the payoff and all the CPO costs, how does that compare to a new one that is 3 yrs newer
Old 08-19-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
I purchased the 1/75 ELW for $1928. See my reply on your other post.
Do your due diligence. Your job is to get the most for the least cost.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:11 AM

2015 GL450
Thanks for all the help. Just a couple of questions to clarify:

1. CPO 1 yr Warranty: Is this definitely negotiable down fro the $2,700?
2. CPO Certification: If I have the dealer CPO the car before my brakes go, the will be obligated to replace pads and rotors free of charge...correct?
3. Extended Long Term Warranty: I know understand that this is negotiable and I Can purchase from any dealer across the country.

Thanks again for the help.

Anthony
Old 08-20-2017, 08:58 AM

1). Yes. I purchased CPO on a Porsche for $1695 several years ago. Dealer said it was his cost.
2). CPO requires dealer to meet specific requirements in order to certify the car. Tires and brakes must meet certain specs before the vehicle is certified. Do some research on the web. You can find a copy of the CPO checklist to see what maintenance/repairs they must do to certify the car. Ask for a copy of the CPO warranty to see what's covered and what's not covered. Bakes? Read the warranty.
3). You can purchase ELW and/or CPO from any Benz dealer in the USA.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:36 PM

2015 GL450
Thanks for the help. Going to start calling some other dealers tomorrow and figure this out.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... a couple of things

If you are planning to purchase - then you need to understand how that might work for you:

1. You can purchase from MB Financial at residual lease cost - you can speak with them directly to verify that cost

2. The dealer can purchase the car from Mercedes Financial - their dealer cost will be less than the residual - then they will inspect and service the rig to get it to acceptable CPO requirements (which can include new tires and/or/both brakes) - and issue CPO warranty - and then dealer will sell to it you MB Certified.

3. There is no "early out" if you are going to purchase the GL - "early out" applies moving forward to another new Mercedes -

There is no free lunch - keep the beat !
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
call Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors MB. Tell him that you want to buy out your leased car. You would qualify for extended limited warranty, not just cpo. In the end, he'll probably be able to help you with all aspects of this transaction for a much better cost than your dealership offers. You have to weigh that against the cost you'll face for the brakes and tires, none of which need to be done at a Mercedes dealership. Seems odd that your dealer would be willing to include the brakes and tires in that first $2,700 amount, but then all that depends on what the base cost begins with. As Fab points out, there are two different kinds of pricing structures for purchasing a car that comes off lease, the one you face for your residual value and the one the dealer actually pays which is lower.

Though a CPO car supposedly meet certain standards, some dealers are not so scrupulous. They may not be very careful about reconditioning your car and selling it back to you. You're asking if they'll be forced to do certain repairs, and the answer is the only do what they have to do or what you make them do for the money you're going to pay.

Last edited by mustbebenz; 08-22-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by mustbebenz
call Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors MB. Tell him that you want to buy out your leased car. You would qualify for extended limited warranty, not just cpo. In the end, he'll probably be able to help you with all aspects of this transaction for a much better cost than your dealership offers. You have to weigh that against the cost you'll face for the brakes and tires, none of which need to be done at a Mercedes dealership. Seems odd that your dealer would be willing to include the brakes and tires in that first $2,700 amount, but then all that depends on what the base cost begins with. As Fab points out, there are two different kinds of pricing structures for purchasing a car that comes off lease, the one you face for your residual value and the one the dealer actually pays which is lower.

Though a CPO car supposedly meet certain standards, some dealers are not so scrupulous. They may not be very careful about reconditioning your car and selling it back to you. You're asking if they'll be forced to do certain repairs, and the answer is the only do what they have to do or what you make them do for the money you're going to pay.
+++1
Old 08-28-2017, 04:49 PM

2015 GL450
Hey All - just to close the loop. I spoke with Jeff a Tafel Motors. He was extremely helpful.

I need to do the initial CPO certification at a dealer close to me, because they need to physically "certify" the car. The $2,700 MB Manhattan wants to charge me does not include the CPO "Refresh" that is needed - brakes, etc. I will most likely get all that updated at an indy MB shop before buying the car back.

Once the car is CPO'd and I get the 1 year extra warranty, then I can call Jeff or any other dealer in the country to by the Extended Long Term Warranty. I will most likely price out the CPO with some other dealers close by and look to beat the current price.

Lastly, seems as though I can't buy out the lease until 120 days before it expires.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:38 PM

Here's a curious question. Given that you are bearing the expense of maintenance items (tires and brakes) why not just purchase the extended limited warranty, either 1/75 or 2/100. Seems that purchasing the CPO is duplicative?? Can this be done?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
I'm interested to see how this works out for OP. I bought a GL450 in May from a non MB dealer. The truck had 14k miles on it. I also thought about getting it certified but what I found was
I would have to sell the truck to a MB dealer as it has to be in MB dealer inventory for it to be considered certified
I would have to pay the cost of CPO plus all parts and labor required for re conditioning
I would have to buy it back from the dealer as a CPO and pay taxes and dealer fees

In the end, I just went with a 2 year 100k ELW from Tafell motors
Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by MBQureshi
I'm interested to see how this works out for OP. I bought a GL450 in May from a non MB dealer. The truck had 14k miles on it. I also thought about getting it certified but what I found was
I would have to sell the truck to a MB dealer as it has to be in MB dealer inventory for it to be considered certified
I would have to pay the cost of CPO plus all parts and labor required for re conditioning
I would have to buy it back from the dealer as a CPO and pay taxes and dealer fees

In the end, I just went with a 2 year 100k ELW from Tafell motors
Yes! Given that you would bear the expense of these items why not just opt for the ELW? And to the OP.......I'm pretty sure your residual with MB financial is more than the dealer would pay to acquire it from MB financial. They then CPO the car and sell it @ a profit.