GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Noise in coolant after turning off GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking between GL350 and 450
Noise in coolant after turning off GL450

I have a '14 GL450. I noticed today that the car was making a funny noise after shutting off the car. I've attached a video with the pump and gurgling noise. Appreciate anyone whoc can tell me what's goin on and if/how to treat. NOTE: Sorry video is rotated! Went to recapture and noise wasn't as severe.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5185.MOV (3.81 MB, 1249 views)
Old 11-28-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
From the looks of it, your coolant reservoir is empty.. There are auxiliary pumps that also move coolant in the system, even with the car off. I'd top up your coolant reservoir and check for leaks. There is a good chance the little plastic connection on the front of the engine on the drivers side is cracked/leaking or soon to fail if it hasnt already.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:25 PM
kvn

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 GL450
Originally Posted by djkoell
I have a '14 GL450. I noticed today that the car was making a funny noise after shutting off the car. I've attached a video with the pump and gurgling noise. Appreciate anyone whoc can tell me what's goin on and if/how to treat. NOTE: Sorry video is rotated! Went to recapture and noise wasn't as severe.
I just purchased a pre-owned 2016 GL450, and having a similar noise like in your video. Have you find out what the issue was? And how to fix it?
Old 03-02-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GL 550
Originally Posted by kvn

I just purchased a pre-owned 2016 GL450, and having a similar noise like in your video. Have you find out what the issue was? And how to fix it?
As mentioned above, low coolant. Fill it up with the proper Mercedes-compatible type of coolant until the "white tab" you see inside the coolant reservoir is just covered. The gurgling is caused by a low-coolant condition and the coolant pump sucking air.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:55 PM
kvn

2016 GL450
Originally Posted by jcob2
As mentioned above, low coolant. Fill it up with the proper Mercedes-compatible type of coolant until the "white tab" you see inside the coolant reservoir is just covered. The gurgling is caused by a low-coolant condition and the coolant pump sucking air.
My coolant tank is full. The only difference is that mine does not have the gurling sound, just the buzzing/whizzing sound like you can hear in the video. I can feel the sound running thru the hoses connneting between the coolant reservoir and the engine. The weird is that if I start the engine again and immediately turn off, the noise is gone.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GL 550
KVN - What you are describing is normal operation. The coolant pump continues to run after the engine is shut down to continue circulating coolant for a set period of time or until coolant temps drop below a certain temp. What you are hearing is the whine that the circulation pump makes.
The following users liked this post:
pjw1967 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM
kvn

2016 GL450
Originally Posted by jcob2
KVN - What you are describing is normal operation. The coolant pump continues to run after the engine is shut down to continue circulating coolant for a set period of time or until coolant temps drop below a certain temp. What you are hearing is the whine that the circulation pump makes.
Jcob2, thank you for clearing up my concern. I found the forum is helpful as it provides a place for members sharing the knowledge.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Same Issue

Originally Posted by Racin_fool
From the looks of it, your coolant reservoir is empty.. There are auxiliary pumps that also move coolant in the system, even with the car off. I'd top up your coolant reservoir and check for leaks. There is a good chance the little plastic connection on the front of the engine on the drivers side is cracked/leaking or soon to fail if it hasnt already.
I believe I'm having the exact same issue as the OP. What little plastic connection were you referring to in your response? Thanks in advance.