GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Should i go with BMC Filters and ditch the k&n ones?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL450
Question Should i go with BMC Filters and ditch the k&n ones?

So i really would like everyone’s opinion on this and if it makes sense and will perform better than the k&n one am running currently? And am going to be doing my downpipes very soon and maybe will swap for the bmc so I can see the most gains and if the difference is noticeable thanks enjoy the New Year
Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Your "gains" from air filters are "subjective" - meaning in your mind - rather than "objective" meaning measurable/useable added power.... since life is subjective - so whatever feels good to you.. you have the right to convince yourself it makes a difference.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL450
Hmm so is there a difference between the two or not and is just a placebo effect??
Old 01-01-2018, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 247 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
Go Green.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:11 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
What are the dyno, "whp", numbers on the intakes pick which ever averages the highest whp wins. My guess is both probably max at 7-10whp which is noticeable on a 1/4 mile run.

Originally Posted by 450Boss
So i really would like everyone’s opinion on this and if it makes sense and will perform better than the k&n one am running currently? And am going to be doing my downpipes very soon and maybe will swap for the bmc so I can see the most gains and if the difference is noticeable thanks enjoy the New Year
The following users liked this post:
450Boss (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Absolutely ridiculous that you pick up any reasonable gains - "subjectively" owners convince themselves with a minor change in intake sound - that they "feel" more power..
Old 01-01-2018, 06:46 PM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I disagree, based on my past experiences leading a local car club for a decade.

I've hosted several Dyno events and have seen, on many occasions, conical intakes on an NA engine produce up to 5-7whp then when that same vehicle goes head to head verses a stock version the extra 5-7whp leaves the stock vehicle a half a car length behind. We did monthly test and tune nights at the local 1/4 track back then.

With force induction engines conical intakes make even more power and once he adds the downpipes even more will be had. FI loves to breathe.

But, If I had a gasser GL and wanted more HP, I'd opt for an ecu or piggyback to boost pressure and advance timing verses making my GL louder with an intake screaming and down pipe resonance. But I suppose after 20 years of bolt on's and ecu's I just want some peace an quiet.. Go ECU upgrade.

But if Boss 450 is talking about "panel" filters K&N vs BMC then I'd have to say I've only seen a panel K&N return 1whp on an NA vehicle and agree those are a waste of time unless you believe they filter better and last longer.

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Absolutely ridiculous that you pick up any reasonable gains - "subjectively" owners convince themselves with a minor change in intake sound - that they "feel" more power..

Last edited by DC-BENZ; 01-01-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Now this is funny - 5-7whp - from conical intake -across a 6K lb 4x4 - oh yeah - sure - a real zoom/zoom difference - a real seat blaster ..
Old 01-01-2018, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
Now this is funny - 5-7whp - from conical intake -across a 6K lb 4x4 - oh yeah - sure - a real zoom/zoom difference - a real seat blaster ..
I agree. Despite the ridiculous HP claims by the manufacturers, after-market drop in air filters will yield you exactly zero HP gain over the standard filters.

Back when I had my SRT-8, we did events at different tuner shops and tested a whole bunch of stuff, from cold air intakes to exhaust to tuning. When it came to the CAI and drop in filters, only 2 CAI made any kind of power whatsoever and those had huge conical filters in a semi open box with an engine heat shield....along with redirecting air to that area to produce colder air. Those 2 items only produced around 2-3 HP and were nothing like stock. And when it came to closed units and drop in filters from K&N and other companies claiming to make 15-30 HP just from their filters, they actually lost 3-5 HP over the stock paper filters. If you're going to buy into the hype of HP gains from air filters, you might as well go out and buy some of those turbine turbo intakes that claim to improve power and increase gas mileage. There are always plenty of snake oil vendors where you can waste your money.

Bottom line....don't waste your money on after-market drop in filters unless you plan on keeping the car a long time and cleaning them every 20k miles or so.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 AM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I'm not sure what Boss' end game is but 5-7 whp here, 5-7 whp there (down pipes), exhaust 5whp more adds up pretty quickly. It may not equal seat of the pants power but it is more power than stock. But like I said, if this whole thing is about panel filters he's wasting his time. Go ECU upgrade for the boost control aspect.

Each vehicle brand is different, some have more restrictive exhausts and others more restrictive downpipes, Plenums, and or intake systems. I would assume an SRT has a freer flowing emissions system than say a non SRT V6. So CAI/HAI intake gains on a less restricted SRT will have little gains, basically like a 911 RS 4.0, which comes with a conical CAI box, and me deciding whether to switch the stock cone filters to a BMC version.