GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

wooshing air sound from engine after major job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 GL350
wooshing air sound from engine after major job

New owner of a 2013 GL350 with 72k miles. the oil cooler was leaking and the previous owner didn't want to take on the mess. so i took it to the local indie shop and had it done, along with some other problems found once the engine was opened up....

now, 4 thousand bucks later, no more leaks. but there's a swooshing sound from the engine when I accelerate... especially when I'm on the freeway....

took the GL back to the shop this morning, and went on a test drive with the manager. he says that's probably the turbo spooling, nothing is wrong.... I'm having some doubts, but I took the GL back and will keep driving it for a few days to see if the swooshing sound goes away. with all the new gaskets installed maybe it needs time to "settle in"....

anyone else experienced this issue?

thanks....
Old 01-23-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Wow, can you tell me what other issues I have to look forward to with my GL350?

Originally Posted by ningster
New owner of a 2013 GL350 with 72k miles. the oil cooler was leaking and the previous owner didn't want to take on the mess. so i took it to the local indie shop and had it done, along with some other problems found once the engine was opened up....

now, 4 thousand bucks later, no more leaks. but there's a swooshing sound from the engine when I accelerate... especially when I'm on the freeway....

took the GL back to the shop this morning, and went on a test drive with the manager. he says that's probably the turbo spooling, nothing is wrong.... I'm having some doubts, but I took the GL back and will keep driving it for a few days to see if the swooshing sound goes away. with all the new gaskets installed maybe it needs time to "settle in"....

thanks....
Old 01-23-2018, 05:03 PM

2013 GL350
Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
Wow, can you tell me what other issues I have to look forward to with my GL350?
mine is a special case... the shop manager told me that with 72k miles, it had the dirtiest intake manifold they had ever seen... other GLs with more than 150k miles were cleaner than mine... the previous owner must've done a lot of stop 'n go short trips and didn't pay much attention to oil.... (even though all services were done at the dealer)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by ningster

thanks....
Yes, had the same thing... Your exhaust is clogged with ash/soot and the turbo leaks air as it has nowhere to go.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by steaua1986
Yes, had the same thing... Your exhaust is clogged with ash/soot and the turbo leaks air as it has nowhere to go.
Mercedes has had this issue with all of their diesel motors for many years. I've heard of intake & exhaust manifolds, ports, and cats loaded with soot. Some folks have to have those parts replaced every 30k miles due to clogging. Mercedes diesel motors attempt to recirculate the soot back through the motor to try and get a cleaner burn for lower emissions, which instead clogs up the ports over time. I can't believe that MB still hasn't found an effective solution yet to this problem.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:38 AM

2013 GL350
thanks for sharing... my next question is: how did you unclog the exhaust? Hopefully it didn’t cost an arm and a leg....
Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
For the whooshing noises, there are a bunch of things that could cause this. Torn O-rings or hoses in the charge air portion of the intake, loose connections in the charge air piping and even exhaust leaks from where they didn't properly realign the exhaust components when reinstalling everything. If its a new noise to you and you don't think it was there before, the dealership needs to go drive it again, or they should be able to drive another (similar year/model) vehicle and it should also not make that noise. The dealerships and their diagnosis are very rarely correct anymore.
The following users liked this post:
ningster (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 01:11 PM

2013 GL350
isn't that what the diesel particulate filter is for? to block out the ash/soot from the exhaust system?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM

2013 GL350
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
For the whooshing noises, there are a bunch of things that could cause this. Torn O-rings or hoses in the charge air portion of the intake, loose connections in the charge air piping and even exhaust leaks from where they didn't properly realign the exhaust components when reinstalling everything. If its a new noise to you and you don't think it was there before, the dealership needs to go drive it again, or they should be able to drive another (similar year/model) vehicle and it should also not make that noise. The dealerships and their diagnosis are very rarely correct anymore.
this was from an indie shop... they worked on my GL for a week and probably got tired of it..... now the MPG is noticeably worse than before.... from 25 to 20 mpg on a 10 mile smooth commute with no traffic.....