GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Can the gl450 look more aggressive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL450
Lightbulb Can the gl450 look more aggressive

Without doing the bumper conversion because issues with the drl leds flickering, can theses trucks look more more sporty/ meaner stance.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
Why would the DRL's flicker on swapping out the front & rear facia?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 PM

2013 GL450
I read that somewhere on here due to the harness something with the wiring
Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by 450Boss
I read that somewhere on here due to the harness something with the wiring
I bet it's plug and play.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450 X166 2013
I think they can...I just ordered a bunch of stuff for mine. First off, fender extensions and lowering make a big difference. I'm a noob MBZ driver, but I don't see how bumper mods lead to a meaner stance? Sure, it will make it look newer/updated, but it's a poser at that point.

I think you pick a bit more aggressive tire/wheel combo. Less ET...get those tire out close to the edge of the fender. Fender extensions and lower it 2"...within reason of "rake angle". Too much rear rake looks "SUV-ish". Also, making the trim around the windows and the roof rack a darker color will help too. My 450 reminds me of a funeral car with that bright trim work around the windows! I'll be changing that on mine. Note the difference in the 2nd picture.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by WRKMBZ
I think they can...I just ordered a bunch of stuff for mine. First off, fender extensions and lowering make a big difference. I'm a noob MBZ driver, but I don't see how bumper mods lead to a meaner stance? Sure, it will make it look newer/updated, but it's a poser at that point.

I think you pick a bit more aggressive tire/wheel combo. Less ET...get those tire out close to the edge of the fender. Fender extensions and lower it 2"...within reason of "rake angle". Too much rear rake looks "SUV-ish". Also, making the trim around the windows and the roof rack a darker color will help too. My 450 reminds me of a funeral car with that bright trim work around the windows! I'll be changing that on mine. Note the difference in the 2nd picture.
The front and rear GL550/63 fascia definitely look a lot more aggressive. But I don't think the 450 would be a poser if the fascias were swapped since they've been around since 2013. The 2013 & 2014 450 have the exact same motor as the 550, albeit detuned. Tune that motor and you can make it quicker than the 63. The front & rear fascia on the 450's look weak and generic IMO.

Fender extensions would make it look stupid....like it's trying to be a Ford Raptor poser. The wheels could be pushed out a wee bit toward the edges with spacers and longer lug bolts, but not much. Lowering it will put pressure on the airbags which will eventually all blow out and need replacement....especially if trying to go 2 inches. It would also degrade the ride quality greatly.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 AM

GL450 X166 2013
Originally Posted by DaveW68
The front and rear GL550/63 fascia definitely look a lot more aggressive. But I don't think the 450 would be a poser if the fascias were swapped since they've been around since 2013. The 2013 & 2014 450 have the exact same motor as the 550, albeit detuned. Tune that motor and you can make it quicker than the 63. The front & rear fascia on the 450's look weak and generic IMO.

Fender extensions would make it look stupid....like it's trying to be a Ford Raptor poser. The wheels could be pushed out a wee bit toward the edges with spacers and longer lug bolts, but not much. Lowering it will put pressure on the airbags which will eventually all blow out and need replacement....especially if trying to go 2 inches. It would also degrade the ride quality greatly.
Fender extensions come on the newer units? How's that stupid? I'm not talking fender flares like those on Raptors!! Geez. I don't know about wear and tear on lowering this beast in regards to the air bags. I know there is a company that makes an electronic mod to do so? Haven't read anything negative on it....yet. Lowering cars doesn't degrade ride quality...unless you're not doing it right. I mean look at the newer Benz's....all lowered. Do they ride terrible? Do it the right way, it's fine. Stiffer, but fine. Do it the wrong way, disaster.

Putting different front/rear bumpers on the this vehicle still leave it with a problem that's bigger than the bumpers....stance. It needs to be lower and the wheel/tires wider and a bit out towards the fender lips. I'd start there and if that didn't satisfy, do the bumpers last. As far as the ECU mods go, well, that's another debate.

I think you took my suggestions to extremes.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Fender extensions come on the newer units? How's that stupid? I'm not talking fender flares like those on Raptors!! Geez. I don't know about wear and tear on lowering this beast in regards to the air bags. I know there is a company that makes an electronic mod to do so? Haven't read anything negative on it....yet. Lowering cars doesn't degrade ride quality...unless you're not doing it right. I mean look at the newer Benz's....all lowered. Do they ride terrible? Do it the right way, it's fine. Stiffer, but fine. Do it the wrong way, disaster.

Putting different front/rear bumpers on the this vehicle still leave it with a problem that's bigger than the bumpers....stance. It needs to be lower and the wheel/tires wider and a bit out towards the fender lips. I'd start there and if that didn't satisfy, do the bumpers last. As far as the ECU mods go, well, that's another debate.

I think you took my suggestions to extremes.
If you're referring to the small fender flares on the GL550/63, then that should look nice. I wouldn't try to go any bigger than that. The 550/63 fascia should bolt right up and look great. Bold and aggressive. The stock GL450/350 fascias look weak and generic. So swapping out the fascia's should make the biggest improvement of all. Based on the pictures of the OP's truck, it looks like he's already running 63 wheels, which are way more than enough since they are already huge 21's and run 295 series tires all around. Some small spacers and longer lug bolts to push them out slightly would give a pretty aggressive look.

Compressing the stock air springs will definitely make the truck ride harsh, especially if trying to go 2". Those bags won't last long by doing that. He'd have to get something after-market with a shorter air spring or swap in 63 bags/springs.....which would get very pricey and require new modules and controller.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 PM

GL450 X166 2013
Yup...the small fender flares. I guess what I'm describing as my target is that picture.

If I get my wheels/tires/rake/gap-between-fender-tire to look like the above picture and fix that bright-work around the windows, I'm good. I'm researching tuning...although it is the least of my worries at this point.

OP...thoughts on your renntech tuning?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM

2013 GL450

what spacers can I run that will be safe enough to run at beast mode?

i don’t think they are completely different engines so I’ve been told by AMS Performance.

the lowering module from RennTech looks sick and very tempting, but at this time not going to do it..

Yup...the small fender flares. I guess what I'm describing as my target is that picture.

If I get my wheels/tires/rake/gap-between-fender-tire to look like the above picture and fix that bright-work around the windows, I'm good. I'm researching tuning...although it is the least of my worries at this point. the bright work around the windows can be vinyled or plasti dip or if your going to keep it can paint it permanently.

OP...thoughts on your renntech tuning?
Its insane ithe truck is a different animal the power is right there. As soon as you press the pedal it just throws you back in your seat. One thing to note brakes can be improved. Which are going to get done as soon as the weather breaks. I bought pads and lines which unfortunately they only make for the front brakes.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM

2013 GL450
Thanks to everyone for sharing their input... look forward to seeing more GL pics
Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 AM

GL450 X166 2013
Any spacer made of aluminum that is hub centric will be fine. The important thing is making sure the lugs/studs have the same amount of threads/insertion depth as stock AND they are the right "seat" type...so they will need to be longer by the amount of the spacer thickness. Do MB's have conical seats? Dunno.

I'm a MB noob, so I don't know that platform well enough yet. If it was a BMW I could tell you specifics.

I'll be doing a small "build" thread for mine as soon as my junk arrives. I have the above coming and I will be playing with the suspension to make it lower. I'm thinking 2" lower and heavier sway bars.

Thanks for the reply on RennTech. Pretty much on-par with what I read. I'm not looking to make the vehicle a drag-car or a road racer. But it's nice to have the power on hand.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Any spacer made of aluminum that is hub centric will be fine. The important thing is making sure the lugs/studs have the same amount of threads/insertion depth as stock AND they are the right "seat" type...so they will need to be longer by the amount of the spacer thickness. Do MB's have conical seats? Dunno.

I'm a MB noob, so I don't know that platform well enough yet. If it was a BMW I could tell you specifics.

I'll be doing a small "build" thread for mine as soon as my junk arrives. I have the above coming and I will be playing with the suspension to make it lower. I'm thinking 2" lower and heavier sway bars.

Thanks for the reply on RennTech. Pretty much on-par with what I read. I'm not looking to make the vehicle a drag-car or a road racer. But it's nice to have the power on hand.
You can save yourself a ton of money on a tune by going with OE Tuning or Eurocharged. They pretty much net the same results as RennTech for A LOT less money.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveW68:
srfrboy (02-22-2018), WRKMBZ (02-23-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 PM

GL450 X166 2013
You can save yourself a ton of money on a tune by going with OE Tuning or Eurocharged. They pretty much net the same results as RennTech for A LOT less money.
I talked to OE..well kinda. Euro is next. OE has some negative feedback but hey, that happens. I sent OE a PM with 6 questions and they answered 2!! It looked like a canned reply. I would think a possible new customer might be worth the 12 seconds to answer specific questions. Like, "do you recommend any supporting mods"?. But I guess everyone's busy! I'm certainly not ruling them out...I would call before ordering anyway and get answers.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 PM

2013 GL450
IMHO RennTech is the way to go I believe Is warranted by MB also ? Yea cheaper isn’t always the best those brands you don’t know how reliable and the longevity is on them... I am positive I can squeeze some more power out with doing a custom intake piping and Upd spacer kit. Then downpipe and retune if I can make close to 550 with all mods I mentioned that’ll be enough for me.

Last edited by 450Boss; 02-21-2018 at 06:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WRKMBZ (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GL550 4Matic
Both of those tuners make a solid tune. Eurocharged also warranties your engine should anything happen due to their tune. I have the Eurocharged tune on my GL550, and it is insane. Had it for over a year with no issues so far. Any updates that come out for my tune, I get an email notification from Eurocharged and if I want to send it in for the update, I can. My tune is a semi custom Stage 2 without downpipes or aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by srfrboy; 02-22-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450
Great thread. I feel the same way since i have a 450. I upgraded to the AMG 21's and it gave it a much better stance

Question, how do you guys black out the window trim and cargo rack? is this Plasti-dip or taken to a shop to have a wrap done?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2018, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Wheels make the car and the right offset does everything - to bring them more flush. I changed the wheels quite a few times to get the right fit, then did a Satin Pearl wrap:

Old 02-23-2018, 05:14 PM

2013 GL450
Looks good but this is for X166 GL’S..thank you though.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 PM

GL450 X166 2013
Originally Posted by andiego
Great thread. I feel the same way since i have a 450. I upgraded to the AMG 21's and it gave it a much better stance

Question, how do you guys black out the window trim and cargo rack? is this Plasti-dip or taken to a shop to have a wrap done?

Thanks!
Great question. I think painting is best. I'm not much of a wrap guy. I have a shop that does my sprint car and those guys do some amazing work. I'd have wrinkles and tears everywhere if I did it. When the time comes maybe I'll ask them to do the Benz. I think the roof rack would be a PITA. The window trim would be doable...by anyone but me.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 PM

GL450 X166 2013
Originally Posted by Jason B
Wheels make the car and the right offset does everything - to bring them more flush. I changed the wheels quite a few times to get the right fit, then did a Satin Pearl wrap:
Nice! Is that a 30 or 35 sidewall? I like the wheel ET and size.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Nice! Is that a 30 or 35 sidewall? I like the wheel ET and size.
Thanks, 35. Rides like silk.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:13 AM

2013 GL450
Can we get some more GL pictures posted here thanks