GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL550 CPO engine issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL550
GL550 CPO engine issues

I recently purchased a 2015 GL550 CPO, and the factory warrenty extension, so I have almost 3 years of coverage ahead of me. Now here is the problem. Shortly after purchase the check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealership and they told me the computer code said something about a misfire. I figured swap out a coil and we are back on the road. Well it wasn’t that simple. They pulled the engine, rebalanced it, and rebuilt one of the heads. It took three weeks. A week later the check engine light came back on, and the car died in the middle of the road. The screen said “do not operate”. So far it has been in the shop for another week and all they can tell me is they are still trying to diagnose the problem. The car has been in the shop for 4-6 weeks that I have owned this car. I feel like it is time to punt. Has anyone had success returning a car like this to an MB dealer? I know these things are high maintenance, but this is rediculous. Honestly, I love the car! I just can’t justify the lack of reliability.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by GL550603
I recently purchased a 2015 GL550 CPO, and the factory warrenty extension, so I have almost 3 years of coverage ahead of me. Now here is the problem. Shortly after purchase the check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealership and they told me the computer code said something about a misfire. I figured swap out a coil and we are back on the road. Well it wasn’t that simple. They pulled the engine, rebalanced it, and rebuilt one of the heads. It took three weeks. A week later the check engine light came back on, and the car died in the middle of the road. The screen said “do not operate”. So far it has been in the shop for another week and all they can tell me is they are still trying to diagnose the problem. The car has been in the shop for 4-6 weeks that I have owned this car. I feel like it is time to punt. Has anyone had success returning a car like this to an MB dealer? I know these things are high maintenance, but this is rediculous. Honestly, I love the car! I just can’t justify the lack of reliability.

Open a case with Mercedes. And worst case dont settle until they put in new engine, because they royally screwed up.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML550 / 1994 E420
I bought my ML550 CPO. My CEL came on 200mi into my drive back home which resulted in a new ECU, injectors, wiring harness, and a fuel sensor. Took about 30 days plus a few more weeks to sort out a suspension issue and a tailgate lock issue.

In my case, MBUSA offered to make a payment for the month and ensured I was happy in a loaner. It was an inconvenience, but eventually everything was repaired and it’s been drama free for the rest of the time.

I don’t believe lemon law can apply since it is used (CPO) and the only reason I could see MBUSA making a buy back or buy out offer is if the dealership cost to repair exceeds the value of the car.

I’d call MBUSA and share your experience with CPO and ask how they can help. I’d also just let them sort out the car assuming you are in a loaner vehicle. I’ve been really happy with mine and I just hit 140k miles.

The dealer who sold the CPO car may have skipped some inspection items. Pretty sure mine did.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by OldMerc94
I bought my ML550 CPO. My CEL came on 200mi into my drive back home which resulted in a new ECU, injectors, wiring harness, and a fuel sensor. Took about 30 days plus a few more weeks to sort out a suspension issue and a tailgate lock issue.

In my case, MBUSA offered to make a payment for the month and ensured I was happy in a loaner. It was an inconvenience, but eventually everything was repaired and it’s been drama free for the rest of the time.

I don’t believe lemon law can apply since it is used (CPO) and the only reason I could see MBUSA making a buy back or buy out offer is if the dealership cost to repair exceeds the value of the car.

I’d call MBUSA and share your experience with CPO and ask how they can help. I’d also just let them sort out the car assuming you are in a loaner vehicle. I’ve been really happy with mine and I just hit 140k miles.

The dealer who sold the CPO car may have skipped some inspection items. Pretty sure mine did.
That is a good idea, I will call MBUSA.

As far as the Lemon Law applies to used vehicles, it has to be under the original factory warranty, which it is. Also has to have had the same issue three times or have been in the shop for the same repair for more than 30 days.
In order to qualify for arbitration, a consumer must ordinarily show either:

https://www.doj.nh.gov/consumer/sour.../lemon-law.htm
  • The manufacturer or its representative has made at least three unsuccessful attempts to fix the motor vehicle; or
  • The motor vehicle has been out of service for 30 or more business days (cumulative) due to defects or nonconformities covered by the warranty.

Last edited by GL550603; 07-19-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:02 PM

GL550

That is a good idea, I will call MBUSA.

As far as the Lemon Law applies to used vehicles, it has to be under the original factory warranty, which it is. Also has to have had the same issue three times or have been in the shop for the same repair for more than 30 days.
In order to qualify for arbitration, a consumer must ordinarily show either:

https://www.doj.nh.gov/consumer/sour.../lemon-law.htm
  • The manufacturer or its representative has made at least three unsuccessful attempts to fix the motor vehicle; or
  • The motor vehicle has been out of service for 30 or more business days (cumulative) due to defects or nonconformities covered by the warranty.

It turns out the problem is a MAP sensor, which was incorrectly identified causing the motor to be pulled. Imagine that a cheap sensor causing $1000s in engine work.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 E550, 2011 GL550, 2013 GL550
Do you know the part number of the MAP sensor? Is it the MAF or MAP?

I have a same problem and my 2013 GL550 M278 engine is giving a misfire code for cylinder 5, and it disappears and reappears. I wonder if it is the injectors issue due to later GL550s having an updated injector.

Thanks

It turns out the problem is a MAP sensor, which was incorrectly identified causing the motor to be pulled. Imagine that a cheap sensor causing $1000s in engine work.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:40 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by Tek.To
Do you know the part number of the MAP sensor? Is it the MAF or MAP?

I have a same problem and my 2013 GL550 M278 engine is giving a misfire code for cylinder 5, and it disappears and reappears. I wonder if it is the injectors issue due to later GL550s having an updated injector.

Thanks

Now that you mention it I think he did say it was cyclinder 5. And it did come and go initially. I am still waiting to get the car back, so I will know more hopefully soon. It is definitely the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor that they are focusing on. He also mentioned something about a fuel flow abnormality, and believes it is somehow tied to that sensor.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:29 PM
d0c

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
16 Ram 2500 / 17 GLS550 (wife's)

Now that you mention it I think he did say it was cyclinder 5. And it did come and go initially. I am still waiting to get the car back, so I will know more hopefully soon. It is definitely the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor that they are focusing on. He also mentioned something about a fuel flow abnormality, and believes it is somehow tied to that sensor.
fugggggg me! same problem here (among other issues with lock actuators and keyless go).

2015 GL550 CPO. took delivery Aug 2018. extended the CPO for the extra 2 years. check engine light came on about 2 weeks ago when wife was driving kids to school. it was gone on restart. it came on again the other day and I told her to take a picture of it (mainly because the service guy @ local dealership assumed i didn't know how to use a keyfob when I 1st brought it in for service - then gave me misinformation regarding the lock actuators). she said that she looked out at the road when the light check engine light came on. She told me that the car shook so much that she thought she drove over some road construction (or a body) and didn't see it. sadly, there was nothing there. it was the car. light was gone again on next start up. i had an upcoming appointment to re-fix door lock problems that had already been "taken care of", so i figured i would just tell them about the light when i dropped it off for service.

got a different service guy this time. he updated me the afternoon I dropped it off, saying that the check engine light was related to the 5th cylinder. he mentioned changing a spark plug and some other stuff, but he said "misfiring" for sure. he said that the foreman and another tech were taking the heads off/apart and he would call when it was all set. i didn't hear back anything later that night. i didn't hear anything back the next day.

i called him today to check. i was told that they are still working on it and waiting for parts. he said that it's doubtful that it will be ready this week. he will update me when there is anything major to report back.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:04 PM

GL550
d0c, sorry you are having this problem. In my case, the dealership ultimately fixed the problem by replacing the above mentioned sensor. Prior to that, they completely rebuilt one of the heads, and had the vehicle for more than a month. It seems to be a common problem, considering the comments here. However MB claims to have no knowledge of any defect. On the bright side my wife and I made a joke of it calling it the Mercedes of the week club, we sampled several different loaner cars from the lot! Our favorit loaner was the S550, and we took a long road trip in a brand new GL450. I am glad we didn’t buy a 450, as the 550 is so much better to drive. But with that being said, I also wish I would have spent a little extra and bought the GL63 AMG, but we are happy with the 550. We have had no additional problems with the car, so despite the early frustrations, we are very happy with it.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 PM
d0c

d0c, sorry you are having this problem. In my case, the dealership ultimately fixed the problem by replacing the above mentioned sensor. Prior to that, they completely rebuilt one of the heads, and had the vehicle for more than a month. It seems to be a common problem, considering the comments here. However MB claims to have no knowledge of any defect. On the bright side my wife and I made a joke of it calling it the Mercedes of the week club, we sampled several different loaner cars from the lot! Our favorit loaner was the S550, and we took a long road trip in a brand new GL450. I am glad we didn’t buy a 450, as the 550 is so much better to drive. But with that being said, I also wish I would have spent a little extra and bought the GL63 AMG, but we are happy with the 550. We have had no additional problems with the car, so despite the early frustrations, we are very happy with it.
thanks. i'll see what they come up with and post back when i have an update.

they have us in a gle350, which appears to be the equivalent of an acura mdx insofar as that it doesn't fit 3 hockey bags into the back very well. local dealership only has one gls450 loaner. i tried to book it and they said it's booked out well in advance. i agree on the gl63. if i were the main driver, i would have probably gone that way. wife doesn't seem to care about cars though.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:15 PM

So we finally got this issue resolved. Luckily we had aftermarket warranty on the 2013 GL550. After taking it to the dealer, they swapped coils and that did not fix the problem initially. However, after a further diagnosis, they deemed it to be fuel injector on Cylinder #5. They replaced the injectors with updated ones and check engine light was gone. Without the warranty, the fix would have been $1200.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Tek.To
So we finally got this issue resolved. Luckily we had aftermarket warranty on the 2013 GL550. After taking it to the dealer, they swapped coils and that did not fix the problem initially. However, after a further diagnosis, they deemed it to be fuel injector on Cylinder #5. They replaced the injectors with updated ones and check engine light was gone. Without the warranty, the fix would have been $1200.
I am curious, who do you have for aftermarket warranty?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:42 PM

We have endurance.
Originally Posted by cchintx
I am curious, who do you have for aftermarket warranty?
Old 09-28-2018, 02:29 PM
d0c

so, i got an update from the service advisor - i called him, not vice versa. he told me that it was not our injectors or spark plugs. he said that they are replacing a "head". i have no idea what that is, but he said that they were waiting for a part to come in. He could not give me a timeline on the parts arrival or vehicle pickup, but did say that the engine has been essentially taken apart at this point. he made it seem like it was a big deal.

in his attempt to placate me - and just because i am a total moron in his mind, he actually said that the tech is even coming in of Saturday, his day off, to work on it. he did say that they have not worked on the other issues (lock actuators and keyless go) yet. ummmm, if the part's not here, and we don't know when it's coming, what's the tech going to be working on? maybe he's going to buff it out with a fine chamois for that 6-punch?

time in shop: 11 days

at this point, i have not questioned what specific "parts" they are waiting for, despite that i was told that they were waiting for parts 7 days ago too. i have started dictating my notes to keep better track of whom i spoke with, when and what they told me. i guess i'll give it another week and then find out exactly what parts were ordered, when they were ordered, from where, are they back-ordered, how many days they have worked on the car vs waited for parts, etc. sadly i've been through this before with a 2014 ram 2500 CPO that was lemon.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 PM
d0c

Engine - fixed now???

Originally Posted by d0c
so, i got an update from the service advisor - i called him, not vice versa. he told me that it was not our injectors or spark plugs. he said that they are replacing a "head". i have no idea what that is, but he said that they were waiting for a part to come in. He could not give me a timeline on the parts arrival or vehicle pickup, but did say that the engine has been essentially taken apart at this point. he made it seem like it was a big deal.

in his attempt to placate me - and just because i am a total moron in his mind, he actually said that the tech is even coming in of Saturday, his day off, to work on it. he did say that they have not worked on the other issues (lock actuators and keyless go) yet. ummmm, if the part's not here, and we don't know when it's coming, what's the tech going to be working on? maybe he's going to buff it out with a fine chamois for that 6-punch?

time in shop: 11 days

at this point, i have not questioned what specific "parts" they are waiting for, despite that i was told that they were waiting for parts 7 days ago too. i have started dictating my notes to keep better track of whom i spoke with, when and what they told me. i guess i'll give it another week and then find out exactly what parts were ordered, when they were ordered, from where, are they back-ordered, how many days they have worked on the car vs waited for parts, etc. sadly i've been through this before with a 2014 ram 2500 CPO that was lemon.
ok, here are the sheets that the dealer gave me on pick-up. i have NO IDEA what any of this stuff is. should i be concerned about what was done/wasn't done in your opinions??

as an aside, the door locks still don't work, but the keyless go seems ok - i did pick this up maybe 2 hours ago though. https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post7568332
Attached Files
Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 PM

Just picked up the GL550 after a week of door actuator issues and check engine light coincidentally coming back on at the same time. They said the check engine light was due to Cylinder 5 misfire. After 4 days of diagnosis, the dealer claimed they found the injector "They installed last time"(Which was only 2 weeks ago), to be "faulty". Thus they replaced the Cylinder #5 injector AGAIN. Everything was no charge. Car is now home with no lights on.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GL450
I picked up a 2014 GL550 this past summer, recently the CEL light came on twice and it went into limp mode. Dealer replaced a faulty ignition coil and no issues so far.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Originally Posted by d0c
ok, here are the sheets that the dealer gave me on pick-up. i have NO IDEA what any of this stuff is. should i be concerned about what was done/wasn't done in your opinions??

as an aside, the door locks still don't work, but the keyless go seems ok - i did pick this up maybe 2 hours ago though. https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post7568332
man that’s a lot of stuff to look over but looks like they tore the motor down and found the problem and it wasn’t too major. All the other items normal wear and tear. Assume key just needed to by synced back up. The seats really suck on “cool” certainly not Range Rover levels of cooling. Wish Benz would get better seats. Maybe newer cars are better?!?

The doors don’t lock themselves when you walk away you have to swipe on the handle to lock it. Why I have no idea as my Chevy Volt can just walk away and it locks. Why a 1 year newer $100k can’t do the same blows my mind.

Anyway hope GL is doing better now.

Last edited by black06c230; 10-09-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Drove around today with the GL. Check engine light is back on. Scanned it with my scanner and again, "Misfire on Cylinder 5". Back to the dealer......
Old 01-03-2019, 02:56 PM

Update, still at the dealer. In my case, I would not recommend changing the fuel injectors as mine were changed 3 times at the dealer, 1 of which the dealer apparently "forgot to update the software" and check engine came back. After 3 times of changing fuel injectors, Misfire is still here. Another user described changing both MAP sensors but those didn't solve the engine misfire either. Full engine tear down to the "heads" is currently happening at the dealer.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
My god, what nightmare. Just got through reading the horror stories. Crazy man, just crazy.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GL 550
Similar issues

I’m just curious of what eventually came of your repairs. I own a 2014 GL 550 and am having misfires on Cylinder 5. After having my car for a week, the dealership told me they needed to pull the engine ($5720) to determine if it needed a new head, which if that is the case will total about an $11,000 repair cost. What?! It has 72,000 miles on it. I don’t have an extended warranty. Why would I? It’s a MB and should go way past 100,000 miles before major repairs. I also had to replace the engine mounts at 52,000 miles! I’ll never own another MB again. Love the way it looks and drives but I had way better luck with my Yukon and Grand Cherokee.
The following users liked this post:
mskimd (12-08-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
Originally Posted by Mrsjames3
Why would I? It’s a MB and should go way past 100,000 miles before major repairs
being a mb (and especially this expensive v8) is exactly the reason i would want to have some kind of warranty on the car -- at any mileage
SaniDel (03-04-2019)
Old 02-09-2020, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
I have a GL550 where the dealership determined it is a faulty engine - same misfiring on cylinder 5 and airflow and other stuff. What did you end up doing? Mine is no longer driveable, and the engine needs to be replaced.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:30 PM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
GL 450

Same issue on a 450, replaced the engine. There are some tsbs on it.
dalhommer (02-11-2020)