GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Exploding Air Suspension on GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350
Exploding Air Suspension on GL

I had my GL parked with the air suspension in the raised position. It had been sitting for about three hours, temp was around 75 degrees F. Then I started hearing a pinging like sound, almost like small hail hitting the car. I started moving towards the car to see what was going on but before I got there there was a loud explosion from the right front of the car and the right front dropped completely. I could see almost no room between the tire and the top of the fender well. I looked under the car and could see the top of the suspension strut and saw that the air suspension "bag" had totally blown out. I have seen no service warnings or tech notices on these things other than to inspect them. Looking at the other one, I see no indication or way to tell if it is going to blow too. Anyone know it there is a recommended replacement schedule or recall on these? (I hate to think what would have happened at 70 mph if it had blown.)
Old 07-25-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
Thanks for this important post, Dave in Nevada!

I use the height adjustment daily when I back into our garage as those few extra inches allow better visibility. I lower the suspension after I've parked, but often shut down before lowering is complete. I've found that lowering will continue by opening and closing doors, which often happens as we unload cargo acquired during the day. We hear clicking and hissing as lowering completes and the vehicle settles.

Please let us know the diagnosis and repairs as this affects all GL owners with air suspension!
Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
They tend to fail around 100k miles or after enough years, there's no real schedule, it's a rubber part that's under considerable pressure constantly and exposed to the elements. Always replace in pairs, if you've never done the rear bags, consider doing all 4, they have seen just as much time as the fronts.
The following users liked this post:
SaniDel (07-25-2018)