GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rear brake replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 gl450
Rear brake replacement

I replaced the rear brakes pads on our 2014 gl 450. I didnt know I had to reset the computer on the console. Once I did try and reset on the console the emergency brake light is lit. Any idea on what my next step should be? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL350
Prior to changing them, there was also an ebrake sequence you needed to perform. If you didn’t, perhaps this is the issue? Maybe try doing the sequence now and see if it corrects?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 PM

2014 gl450
I will give that a try thanks.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
You need to put the electronic parking brake in service mode via the workshop menu (same place you reset the service reminders) before pushing the calipers back in. If you didn't, you probably damaged the E brake actuators.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:27 PM
srh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 S550, 2016 GL350
Just Curious!

Originally Posted by Payne
I replaced the rear brakes pads on our 2014 gl 450. I didn't know I had to reset the computer on the console. Once I did try and reset on the console the emergency brake light is lit. Any idea on what my next step should be? Thanks.
Did you fix your problem? If so, would you kindly post and let us know how? Thanks and have a great day!
Old 11-19-2018, 02:37 PM

2014 gl450
I was able to get the emergency brake light to reset but the brake indicator light is still on. We called the dealer and they said to bring it in to reset the light. Everything seams to be working fine. I am hoping to take it to the dealer tomorrow. I will follow up tomorrow hopefully with good news.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:40 PM
srh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 S550, 2016 GL350
Thanks

I was able to get the emergency brake light to reset but the brake indicator light is still on. We called the dealer and they said to bring it in to reset the light. Everything seams to be working fine. I am hoping to take it to the dealer tomorrow. I will follow up tomorrow hopefully with good news.
Glad to know it is being resolved! Thanks for the update. All the best!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
na
How often are brake pads supposed to be replaced? I just did the 4 year B service and was advised that they were getting low. They said it cost A$470 (US$340) and 2 hours.... when the genuine pads are available for around 80 euros.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by pussgalore
How often are brake pads supposed to be replaced? I just did the 4 year B service and was advised that they were getting low. They said it cost A$470 (US$340) and 2 hours.... when the genuine pads are available for around 80 euros.
That may include the cost of cutting the rotors, which I believe can be done to the solid rear discs if they are still within spec. It probably also includes hardware, new slide pins, caliper bolts, rotor screws, and a new sensor. Don't let them just do a pad slap (not cutting the rotors) as you'll likely get a lot of squealing very soon after the brake job. Retail on the brake pads alone is likely at least $180 US. Your quoted cost does sound pretty high for just a pad slap....if that's what they are actually doing.
The following users liked this post:
pussgalore (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 07:10 PM

na
Originally Posted by DaveW68
That may include the cost of cutting the rotors, which I believe can be done to the solid rear discs if they are still within spec. It probably also includes hardware, new slide pins, caliper bolts, rotor screws, and a new sensor. Don't let them just do a pad slap (not cutting the rotors) as you'll likely get a lot of squealing very soon after the brake job. Retail on the brake pads alone is likely at least $180 US. Your quoted cost does sound pretty high for just a pad slap....if that's what they are actually doing.
That's a great point! I should ask them about this. Thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 07:16 PM

2014 gl450
That’s what the dealer quoted my wife $450 for pads!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Sounds more like a lube job.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:32 PM

na
Looks like I was also quoted for only pads.
I got quotes for parts (A$):
Rear brake pads 177
4 Pivot Pins 196
4 Screws 13
2 Screw-rotor 16
Sensor 21
Parts total 460+
Old 11-22-2018, 06:37 PM

2014 gl450
I just bought the sensor from auto zone for $7 and pads for $60.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Looks like I was also quoted for only pads.
I got quotes for parts (A$):
Rear brake pads 177
4 Pivot Pins 196
4 Screws 13
2 Screw-rotor 16
Sensor 21
Parts total 460+
Egads! They're sticking it to you for sure.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:21 AM

na
Egads! They're sticking it to you for sure.
I won't be using genuine pads because I hear they are no good, but do pivot pins need to be replaced as well?
Also if I get aftermarket pads, the other genuine parts may not be compatible.
I will ask the dealer if they cut the rotors but doubt they do....
Old 11-23-2018, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
I won't be using genuine pads because I hear they are no good, but do pivot pins need to be replaced as well?
Also if I get aftermarket pads, the other genuine parts may not be compatible.
I will ask the dealer if they cut the rotors but doubt they do....
Your rotors will at least need to be cut (if they are still within spec), but new rotors are recommended with the pads. A pad slap is a bad idea as your rotors no longer have a completely flat surface and likely have a lip built up on the outer edge. This would lead to squealing, possible vibration, and reduced braking effectiveness due to the new pads not having a flat surface to grab.The OEM pads are very good, albeit a bit dusty. Any low dust pad you get will not provide the same kind of bite as the OEM pads, especially when it is cold outside or when roads are wet or snowy. But they will still work perfectly fine on a new OEM rotor. Pad and rotor brand names do not need to match up. But you should have the same brand of pads at all 4 corners as you don't want pads with a big bite at the front and less of a bite at the back.

The parts quote you were given is insane. You would be better off purchasing OEM parts online and taking them to your favorite indy for install. You should be able to get everything, including brand new rotors for much less than what the dealer is quoting you for those parts. I'm still trying to figure out what "pivot pins" are in relation to brake pads. Perhaps they are referring to a caliper hardware kits that includes slide pins and screws (probably not needed as the originals are likely perfectly fine). But you can pick those up on Rockauto for about $6. (you only need 2 of them). Have the dealer that gave you the parts quote give you the parts numbers for everything so that you can match them up online.

Here is a great source I found for getting OEM parts. They are a Benz dealer that sells OEM parts at a huge discount online. https://www.germanautopartssource.com/
Old 11-24-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
I have replaced pads many times without turning(cutting) rotors but this was on my daughters cars when they were in college. They were so hard on brakes, I just figured changing the pads every year would be easier than having to pay to have pads and rotors turned in an emergency. Pads are really easy to replace.

Most mechanics recommend turning rotors , just to decrease the chances of them squeeling? Rotors can usually be turned/milled/cut one time before they need to be replace. All my experience has been on older, non Mercedes cars so it may not be applicable anymore.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:11 PM

na
The OEM pads are very good, albeit a bit dusty. Any low dust pad you get will not provide the same kind of bite as the OEM pads, especially when it is cold outside or when roads are wet or snowy.
Here is a great source I found for getting OEM parts. They are a Benz dealer that sells OEM parts at a huge discount online. https://www.germanautopartssource.com/
I didn't know the OEM pads were good! If so, I shouldn't waste my time looking for performance pads then if they last more than 3 years. My car is 4 years old and none of the brake pads has been replaced so far.
The quote I received show all the parts numbers so I will be able to find them online for cheaper. That's actually what I did with the transmission service and B service. I bought genuine parts on eBay for much less and took them to the dealer along with Mobil 1 engine oil. If the dealer says that they don't cut/turn the rotors, I will also buy the rotors...
For replacing the rear brake pads, I was quoted 470$ which includes parts (pads $177), so the labor cost is roughly $300.... for two hours. Not sure if that's reasonable. My bf thinks it's cheap. (he should pay for it then!)

Oh and that website is great!! Thanks

Last edited by pussgalore; 11-24-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
I didn't know the OEM pads were good! If so, I shouldn't waste my time looking for performance pads then if they last more than 3 years. My car is 4 years old and none of the brake pads has been replaced so far.
The quote I received show all the parts numbers so I will be able to find them online for cheaper. That's actually what I did with the transmission service and B service. I bought genuine parts on eBay for much less and took them to the dealer along with Mobil 1 engine oil. If the dealer says that they don't cut/turn the rotors, I will also buy the rotors...
For replacing the rear brake pads, I was quoted 470$ which includes parts (pads $177), so the labor cost is roughly $300.... for two hours. Not sure if that's reasonable. My bf thinks it's cheap. (he should pay for it then!)

Oh and that website is great!! Thanks
Please post all of the parts numbers that they are talking about. I'm interested in seeing what a pivot pin is and why it's $49 each. The OEM pads are good as they have a lot of bite. The biggest complaint people have is the amount of brake dust that gets on the wheels. Honestly, that's never really been an issue for me on my GL550. It might be possible to cut the rear rotors if they are within spec, but at roughly $100 for each new rear rotor, it probably wouldn't be worth it to cut them as the dealer might charge you $30-40 for each rotor to cut. Or the dealer may just flat out refuse to cut the rotors as modern German cars usually have softer metal on their rotors and they wear down faster than say domestic or Asian cars. If you have drilled and/or slotted rotors on the front, those can never be cut. For my truck, I just purchased new front OEM brakes (rotors, pads, sensor, hardware kit, and slide pins). Total cost of the parts was around $450, and my indy will be doing the labor for $190 next week. Front brakes are definitely more expensive than rears, so that's why I'm so shocked at the cost they are quoting you with not even including new rotors.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:27 PM

na
Please post all of the parts numbers that they are talking about. I'm interested in seeing what a pivot pin is and why it's $49 each. The OEM pads are good as they have a lot of bite. The biggest complaint people have is the amount of brake dust that gets on the wheels. Honestly, that's never really been an issue for me on my GL550. It might be possible to cut the rear rotors if they are within spec, but at roughly $100 for each new rear rotor, it probably wouldn't be worth it to cut them as the dealer might charge you $30-40 for each rotor to cut. Or the dealer may just flat out refuse to cut the rotors as modern German cars usually have softer metal on their rotors and they wear down faster than say domestic or Asian cars. If you have drilled and/or slotted rotors on the front, those can never be cut. For my truck, I just purchased new front OEM brakes (rotors, pads, sensor, hardware kit, and slide pins). Total cost of the parts was around $450, and my indy will be doing the labor for $190 next week. Front brakes are definitely more expensive than rears, so that's why I'm so shocked at the cost they are quoting you with not even including new rotors.
Sure, I can post all the parts numbers but I drive C-Class W205. I'm on here asking questions because couldn't find a relevant topic in the W205 forum!
FYI - Pivot pin's part number is A0004210818 $48.89 each. They quoted $470 including the rear brake pads that cost $177, so the labor is approx. $300. Mind you it's all in AUD.
Do indies know how to change rear brakes on Mercedes? From what I learned on here, you have to navigate the dashboard and select brake pads replacement service? Or do you take your car to an indy who's specialized in MB? If anyone can properly do the job, I would find an indy if they were cheaper.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Sure, I can post all the parts numbers but I drive C-Class W205. I'm on here asking questions because couldn't find a relevant topic in the W205 forum!
FYI - Pivot pin's part number is A0004210818 $48.89 each. They quoted $470 including the rear brake pads that cost $177, so the labor is approx. $300. Mind you it's all in AUD.
Do indies know how to change rear brakes on Mercedes? From what I learned on here, you have to navigate the dashboard and select brake pads replacement service? Or do you take your car to an indy who's specialized in MB? If anyone can properly do the job, I would find an indy if they were cheaper.
It would have been helpful to know that you weren't referring to a GL from the get go. You can still look up costs of each part on the website that I provided earlier as they will likely be significantly cheaper than the dealer quotes you received. Then you can take the parts to your indy to do the brake job. You can call your local indy and confirm that they have what they need to do a brake job on your car. Any shop that does a decent number of brake jobs can likely do yours. Mercedes brakes really aren't difficult to do.

The pivot pin usually is part of the parking brake. Perhaps they are repairing that too?
Old 12-01-2018, 05:48 PM

na
I bet the quote is for only the pad slap...
I took pics of my pads but can't really tell if they are worn out to the point where I need to take my car to the dealership urgently, although I haven't seen the warning light yet.