GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rear Seat Entertainment Video with no Sound Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Unhappy Rear Seat Entertainment Video with no Sound Problem

2014 GL550 with factory 2nd row rear seat entertainment, factory remotes, factory wireless headsets, both with new batteries. The Comand system has been reset twice from standard method and once from within engineering menu. Remotes and headsets have been appropriately assigned to either right/left per Comand manual instructions, rotary volume on both headsets is at full blast and remotes have had the volume turned up all the way with the "+" button, and of course, the mute has been turned to the unmuted section. Video is great, remotes function and all menus appears to do what they are supposed to do per the manual. I have tried multiple DVDs and, no, they are not burned discs, original movies from the jewel cases from the retail store purchased at (yes, all from here in the USA). So, all obvious, normal, functional options have been tried.

That being said, no sound. Any ideas folks? Is there a menu setting in the Comand system or Engineering menu that might account for this? I'm willing to try and/all ideas to get this to work. Road trips with a 10 year old that likes to start all his sentences with, "You remember that time..." which usually ends up being something from last week or the day prior. I need help folks, help a brother out!

John
Lakewood, WA
Old 12-16-2018, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Have you checked all of your fuses?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Have you checked all of your fuses?
does sound work when you play the dvd through the car speakers?
The following users liked this post:
frogger42 (03-03-2023)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 GL550,2020 GLS580
Originally Posted by ejbenson
2014 GL550 with factory 2nd row rear seat entertainment, factory remotes, factory wireless headsets, both with new batteries. The Comand system has been reset twice from standard method and once from within engineering menu. Remotes and headsets have been appropriately assigned to either right/left per Comand manual instructions, rotary volume on both headsets is at full blast and remotes have had the volume turned up all the way with the "+" button, and of course, the mute has been turned to the unmuted section. Video is great, remotes function and all menus appears to do what they are supposed to do per the manual. I have tried multiple DVDs and, no, they are not burned discs, original movies from the jewel cases from the retail store purchased at (yes, all from here in the USA). So, all obvious, normal, functional options have been tried.

That being said, no sound. Any ideas folks? Is there a menu setting in the Comand system or Engineering menu that might account for this? I'm willing to try and/all ideas to get this to work. Road trips with a 10 year old that likes to start all his sentences with, "You remember that time..." which usually ends up being something from last week or the day prior. I need help folks, help a brother out!

John
Lakewood, WA

Sounds like your headphones are not programmed correctly.Were they recently replaced?When you turn them on does green light stay lit solid of turns off after 5-10 sec.?
When one of my headphones stopped working ,dealer replaced it under warranty and never programmed it .I had to go back and have them program it because there was no sound coming out too.

Viha22
Bothell,WA
Old 12-17-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL550
Do standard headphones work when plugged into phone jack?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:57 AM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
21 G63, 21 GLS580, 16 GTS Ed. 1
Originally Posted by Viha22

Sounds like your headphones are not programmed correctly.Were they recently replaced?When you turn them on does green light stay lit solid of turns off after 5-10 sec.?
When one of my headphones stopped working ,dealer replaced it under warranty and never programmed it .I had to go back and have them program it because there was no sound coming out too.

Viha22
Bothell,WA
Does it have to be programmed by dealer? no other way?
Old 12-19-2018, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by Venom-AMG
Does it have to be programmed by dealer? no other way?
If it is a car that needs programmefd headphones, then yes you need to get it done by the dealer.

X164 models used a simpler system using ir and required no programming.

Sometimes mercedes changes stuff just for the sake of change 🙄

Last edited by kombifan; 12-19-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 mercedes e350
For anyone dealing with this issue. Problem fixed! - There is a secret Dealer menu on COMAND where you just add the UID numbers of the accessories you want to pair to the car. Access the menu by highlighting "SYSTEM SETTINGS" and holding the Command control knob to the left for about 10 seconds. Follow the photos to take you to the pairing menu. Took about 2/3 minutes after several hours of internet searching! UID number should be on a sticker inside the headphones where the batteries are.

https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/i...phones.192412/
The following users liked this post:
cadetdrivr (03-02-2023)