GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL350 Tires & Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Talking GL350 Tires & Brakes

Hi All,

I recently bought a second hand 2014 GL350 and hands-down probably the best SUV that I have ever driven.

However, it came with the swing away tow hitch, and the other day when I tried to deploy it, it would not open, after checking under the car it was caught in the back bumper, and it seemed there was no way to deploy it with out cutting a chunk out of the mat black, back bumper plastic that is below the color coded bumpers. Has anyone else had this issue, or is there a secret to getting it to deploy?

Also, my brake sensor light came on the other day and after a lot of research, I have bought the EBC Yellow Stuff pads that I am going to fit tomorrow, has anyone else had any experience with these pads. I settled on those pads because of what I thought was excessive dust with the OEM's.

I have also just changed my tires to Delinte DS8's (275/50R20) and would like to add they feel better than the factory Dunlops that were on before and very quiet. I have read plenty threads asking about tires and thought to add my 2 cents.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Adam Fraser
However, it came with the swing away tow hitch, and the other day when I tried to deploy it, it would not open, after checking under the car it was caught in the back bumper, and it seemed there was no way to deploy it with out cutting a chunk out of the mat black, back bumper plastic that is below the color coded bumpers. Has anyone else had this issue, or is there a secret to getting it to deploy?
FWIW, that sounds like an aftermarket part. I don't recall MB selling GL's with factory swing-away hitches.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:35 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
FWIW, that sounds like an aftermarket part. I don't recall MB selling GL's with factory swing-away hitches.
I think it is an European model spec. I can't find it on the US models. Sorry forgot to mention that I live in Brazil and bought the car here.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
I think it is an European model spec. I can't find it on the US models. Sorry forgot to mention that I live in Brazil and bought the car here.
return the ebc pads if you can. If you got ebc sport rotors they're great.

I tried the ebc yellows tuff pads. They were so frreeking annoying. So much dust. So much squealing! Embarrassing and infuriating.

I ended up getting akebono pads and staying with the ebc rotors. Thats a good setup

It's a swinga way hitch with the ball? Sounds like it is not dropping. Lube some of the mebhanism. See if it helps.

Delinte? Must be local. I have never heard of those here.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:14 AM

GL350
Thanks for your feedback, I narrowed my search down to the Akebono's or the EBC's and went with the EBC's because of the reviews I found on-line. I have now painted my rims to mat black because I hated the dust so much from the OEM's so I won't notice the dust. I am not a big fan of black wheels, but on a silver GL they really do look good. I will keep you all updated on my experiences with the EBC's.

Will lube up the mechanism with WD-40 this afternoon and try fiddle with it a bit, I hope it works, but it looks like it is caught behind the plastic bumper and that is what is stopping it deploying. It would need to pull out about 5 inches to clear the bumper. Maybe I can get some pics too.

The Delinte tires were recommended by my local dealer. They were half the price of Michelin or Pirelli's.I know you should skimp on tires, but these feel really good. Will wait and see what the tread life is. I didn't think I needed a ultra high performance tire, it's a family diesel !! From what I found they are sold worldwide, got reviews from the US on-line.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:28 PM

GL350
Thanks for your feedback, I narrowed my search down to the Akebono's or the EBC's and went with the EBC's because of the reviews I found on-line. I have now painted my rims to mat black because I hated the dust so much from the OEM's so I won't notice the dust. I am not a big fan of black wheels, but on a silver GL they really do look good. I will keep you all updated on my experiences with the EBC's.

Will lube up the mechanism with WD-40 this afternoon and try fiddle with it a bit, I hope it works, but it looks like it is caught behind the plastic bumper and that is what is stopping it deploying. It would need to pull out about 5 inches to clear the bumper. Maybe I can get some pics too.

The Delinte tires were recommended by my local dealer. They were half the price of Michelin or Pirelli's.I know you should skimp on tires, but these feel really good. Will wait and see what the tread life is. I didn't think I needed a ultra high performance tire, it's a family diesel !! From what I found they are sold worldwide, got reviews from the US on-line.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!

check the return policy for your brakes. I’m not saying you will have the same issue. But I had extreme squealing at all speeds, it sounded like a freight train.

Im not a huge fan of black wheels, with dust or paint.
The ebc yellow stuff made it worse...and since switching to ceramic pads (Akebono) I’ve been very happy.

The ebc rotors are are awesome though.

Any chance on getting pics of your ball situation? It’s a factory ball setup for sure. It should drop by pushing the button.

Did is some research on delinte. You’re right they do sell them here, usually through Walmart or simple tire it seems. At the price they are selling them....I’m a bit confused why someone wouldn’t choose the factory Dunlop’s though.

Last edited by kombifan; 01-26-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by kombifan

check the return policy for your brakes. I’m not saying you will have the same issue. But I had extreme squealing at all speeds, it sounded like a freight train.

Im not a huge fan of black wheels, with dust or paint.
The ebc yellow stuff made it worse...and since switching to ceramic pads (Akebono) I’ve been very happy.

The ebc rotors are are awesome though.

Any chance on getting pics of your ball situation? It’s a factory ball setup for sure. It should drop by pushing the button.

Did is some research on delinte. You’re right they do sell them here, usually through Walmart or simple tire it seems. At the price they are selling them....I’m a bit confused why someone wouldn’t choose the factory Dunlop’s though.

Wow, you are guys are spoilt in the USA. Just to give you an idea, the Delinte tires here were US$240 / tire !! The Dunlop's here were US$506.

I didn't have to change rotors yet, I will probably have to change mine in the next year. What rotors did you buy? I heard that the drilled rotors crack, and the slotted rotors chew the pads.

I had the pads installed on Tuesday, no squealing so far, but haven't bedded them completely yet, this afternoon I will probably do the 6 hard stops. I bought the pads in the USA, so no way of returning them. I will see how they go and will Akebono's if I don't like them.

I haven't had time to take a picture of the ball yet, been too lazy to get on my knees or back under there, I will try tonight, but I am not promising.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
You can get the Delinte off brand type tires for around $100 delivered in the US if you shop.

Last edited by BlownV8; 01-31-2019 at 08:58 AM.