Notices
GL Class (X166) 2013-Present

Certified GLS550 buy or pass?

 
Old 05-14-2019, 07:58 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figuring that out
Certified GLS550 buy or pass?

Hello everyone

My wife and I are very new to the Mercedes-Benz brand and we are currently looking at a certified preowned 2017 550
It has 51,000 miles on it and they are asking $57,000 for it
Some AMG appearance stuff which feels odd considering itís not an amg.
I like the V8 option and I like the extra space that we are now in need of.
My questions are 1) does this seem like a good idea? Financially itís not a big deal but with the age of the vehicle how many miles were put on it so quickly and the costs associated with Mercedes-Benz I have concerns.
2) in order to mitigate some of these concerns there is a three-year unlimited mileage warranty for $4000 That we can purchase. Is that money well spent?

so with that being said and us being new to Mercedes is this a recipe for higher cost of ownership or is this a vehicle that we realistically could spend the next 5 to 8 years in with very little if any trouble ?
NordicNevs is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,145
Received 112 Likes on 106 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Shop around. You might find one more competitively prices. Extended cpo warranty is a must.

Tafel motors with jeff Jackson is the go to guy in this forum.
For that time frame get the newest cpo you can find or get a Carmax car and maxcare warranty for 6 years
kombifan is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NordicNevs (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:05 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my garage
Posts: 5,944
Received 195 Likes on 180 Posts
E55, SL600, GL450, GL63
I got a better deal than what Jeff was offering on my extended CPO from Cassandra Castro 414-543-3000 ext 115.
BlownV8 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NordicNevs (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 11:02 PM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figuring that out
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
Shop around. You might find one more competitively prices. Extended cpo warranty is a must.

Tafel motors with jeff Jackson is the go to guy in this forum.
For that time frame get the newest cpo you can find or get a Carmax car and maxcare warranty for 6 years

Forgive me but is Tafel the place where we should look to buy a warranty or a go to for sales?
NordicNevs is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 PM
  #5  
Member
 
SaniDel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Greenville Delaware
Posts: 120
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL 550
The extended warranty is essential ... especially for such a high mileage vehicle. Be sure you qualify before you buy ... IIRC you must purchase before the 4 year/48,000 mile expiry of the original warranty.

The price of the extended warranty is highly negotiable. I was quoted well over $3 thousand by our dealer so I showed them Tafel Motors quote. They didn’t match it, but we settled at $2,700. You could do better if you try harder.

AMG ‘stuff’ on a non-AMG vehicle is to be expected, e.g., the 21” wheels. Get rid of non-Michelin tries ASAP ... preferably part of the sale.

You could get great service for many years from this vehicle, but there’s no way to know without trying. Obviously, any abuse or excessive use will work against that, hence the extended warranty. Our 2015 GL550 is our best vehicle ever, but we drive it less than 7,000 miles per year, service it obsessively and drive it gently ... most of the time, but it is hard to “drive slow” as it wants to run ... those twin turbochargers spool just backing into our garage!
SaniDel is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NordicNevs (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 11:43 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figuring that out
Originally Posted by SaniDel View Post
The extended warranty is essential ... especially for such a high mileage vehicle. Be sure you qualify before you buy ... IIRC you must purchase before the 4 year/48,000 mile expiry of the original warranty.

The price of the extended warranty is highly negotiable. I was quoted well over $3 thousand by our dealer so I showed them Tafel Motors quote. They didnít match it, but we settled at $2,700. You could do better if you try harder.

AMG Ďstuffí on a non-AMG vehicle is to be expected, e.g., the 21Ē wheels. Get rid of non-Michelin tries ASAP ... preferably part of the sale.

You could get great service for many years from this vehicle, but thereís no way to know without trying. Obviously, any abuse or excessive use will work against that, hence the extended warranty. Our 2015 GL550 is our best vehicle ever, but we drive it less than 7,000 miles per year, service it obsessively and drive it gently ... most of the time, but it is hard to ďdrive slowĒ as it wants to run ... those twin turbochargers spool just backing into our garage!
thanks for the insight and I appreciate the reply.
NordicNevs is offline  
The following users liked this post:
SaniDel (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:28 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,145
Received 112 Likes on 106 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
Forgive me but is Tafel the place where we should look to buy a warranty or a go to for sales?

Jeff Jackson and Cassandra are the two best places to get a quote for the cpo elw warranty.

I did did a search for cpo 550. It seems your gls is the silver one in San Diego? It is the lowest priced one nationwide right now.
kombifan is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by kombifan:
NordicNevs (05-15-2019), SaniDel (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figuring that out
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
Jeff Jackson and Cassandra are the two best places to get a quote for the cpo elw warranty.

I did did a search for cpo 550. It seems your gls is the silver one in San Diego? It is the lowest priced one nationwide right now.
Thank you. Iíll check it out.
NordicNevs is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:03 AM
  #9  
Member
 
SaniDel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Greenville Delaware
Posts: 120
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL 550
Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
Hello everyone

My wife and I are very new to the Mercedes-Benz brand and we are currently looking at a certified preowned 2017 550
It has 51,000 miles on it and they are asking $57,000 for it
Some AMG appearance stuff which feels odd considering itís not an amg.
I like the V8 option and I like the extra space that we are now in need of.
My questions are 1) does this seem like a good idea? Financially itís not a big deal but with the age of the vehicle how many miles were put on it so quickly and the costs associated with Mercedes-Benz I have concerns.
2) in order to mitigate some of these concerns there is a three-year unlimited mileage warranty for $4000 That we can purchase. Is that money well spent?

so with that being said and us being new to Mercedes is this a recipe for higher cost of ownership or is this a vehicle that we realistically could spend the next 5 to 8 years in with very little if any trouble ?
My wife and I are in our GL 550 as I speak discussing your inquiry. My wife reminded me to tell you that with a high mileage vehicle like you are considering its previous service is critical. As you are buying from a dealer they should be able to prove that the necessary service was performed, when and by whom.

Mercedes vehicles are reliable by design although they are highly complicated and sophisticated. As an example ... the engine in the vehicle you are considering has an enormous reserve of oil, which is good. Unfortunately, the twin turbo chargers consume oil, which is bad! We are used to topping up our oil at least once a year between major service intervals, which our dealer performs for free on demand.

Last edited by SaniDel; 05-15-2019 at 12:20 PM.
SaniDel is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NordicNevs (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:19 PM
  #10  
Member
 
SaniDel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Greenville Delaware
Posts: 120
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL 550
I'm not claiming the vehicle you are considering is a match for this GL ... especially as model identification has been removed from the lift gate. It is presumably a "full AMG" GL63.


Nonetheless ... you are considering a serious vehicle with impressive bonafides ... drive carefully and not like this video!
SaniDel is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:23 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Land of Political Criminals and Urban Shootings
Posts: 3,137
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by SaniDel View Post
I'm not claiming the vehicle you are considering is a match for this GL ... especially as model identification has been removed from the lift gate. It is presumably a "full AMG" GL63.


Nonetheless ... you are considering a serious vehicle with impressive bonafides ... drive carefully and not like this video!
That is an older W204 C-class wagon, not a GL. But it is likely heavily modified.
DaveW68 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 PM
  #12  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figuring that out
Well we took the local 2017 for a drive and once over this evening
brakes felt very soft, has a bad vibration likely due to unbalanced tires, has cracked wood paneling and the AWD felt almost as if it was binding

the positives were the immense power of which I havenít experienced for some time, exterior styling was excellent, the engine and exhaust note was smooth as silk and the ride (vibration aside) was fantastic

I donít think we will be going with that specific 550
NordicNevs is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:24 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Seattle,Wa
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
Well we took the local 2017 for a drive and once over this evening
brakes felt very soft, has a bad vibration likely due to unbalanced tires, has cracked wood paneling and the AWD felt almost as if it was binding

the positives were the immense power of which I havenít experienced for some time, exterior styling was excellent, the engine and exhaust note was smooth as silk and the ride (vibration aside) was fantastic

I donít think we will be going with that specific 550

I think all you have to do is change tires to new michelins and vibration should be gone.Thats what we did when we had vibration at highway speeds.Balancing current tires wont help .Unless you are talking about vibration when you hit brakes thats most likely due to warped rotors.
Viha22 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Land of Political Criminals and Urban Shootings
Posts: 3,137
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
Well we took the local 2017 for a drive and once over this evening
brakes felt very soft, has a bad vibration likely due to unbalanced tires, has cracked wood paneling and the AWD felt almost as if it was binding

the positives were the immense power of which I haven’t experienced for some time, exterior styling was excellent, the engine and exhaust note was smooth as silk and the ride (vibration aside) was fantastic

I don’t think we will be going with that specific 550
You can get into a 2015 or 2016 with a lot less miles for a lot less money. You definitely have to pay a premium for the facelift that doesn't get you any better performance. And then you'll watch the value drop like a rock when the all new GLS comes out this fall. IMO, it's not worth it. Get a lower mileage 15 or 16 that is still within the original factory warranty so you can add Benz warranty coverage for 3 more years.
DaveW68 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:49 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 520 Likes on 413 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1. A dealer's selling price is best checked against a authentic 3rd party value guide - I normally suggest Edmunds..

2. Cracked front door wood trim is not uncommon for 2017 - BUT - please understand cracked wood trim MB will NOT cover under CPO warranty - although under new car warranty normally it can be replaced.

3. Vibration problems with new replacement MB approved tires are quite COMMON - and can be the result of defective/out-of-round replacement tires from the manufacturer. Unfortunately "most" MB techs do not road test CPO vehicles after tire replacement - the OK news is that the tech's can do the proper checking - and replacements-for-the-replacements are done at the tire manufacturer's expense
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
tmurphy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 26
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl550
Hi,
before you buy, have them agree to fix the following.
Airstruts (5k)
sensor network (2k)
door sensors (1250$ per side).

I have a 2011 Gl550. I love it, bought it for $48.5 w/ 26k miles in 2014. I have 95k miles now an it runs great.
Buy the service package from them, it covered an issue with the transmission pan.
Terry
tmurphy25 is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:47 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 111
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
slightly off topic ... but as much as I love love love my 2013 GL450 (bought in 2017) ... holding off for the newer technology in the newer cars (larger display screens, refinements, electronics, conveniences, etc.) ... I'd probably sacrifice the power for these "newer" features ... alternatively, save money and sacrifice conveniences for a used 2014/2015 and drive for a couple of years, then look into a used 2019 ... hope to replace my 2013 in a couple of years for a used X7, possibly Audi Q7 ... hehe, blasphemy I know ... lol

https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...ls-oh-boy.html
vivaitalia is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Certified GLS550 buy or pass?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: