GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Need advice on how to handle dealership properly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350
Need advice on how to handle dealership properly

So to make a long story short we have a 13 GL350 and heard a sound that we suspected to be the timing chain and knowing this is a common issue for these vehicles we brought it into our local Mercedes dealership in January before it caused any issues to the car and knowing it was covered under our warranty. So the dealership off the bat sent a massive list of parts to the warranty company with a good amount of them not having anything to do with the timing chain repair. We immediately questioned the integrity of the dealership but allowed the warranty company to go back and fourth with them. At this point we had to go through hoops to arrange 3rd party inspections and the vehicle was already torn down so even though we wanted to just take it somewhere else, we decided against it since that would have added even more time on the job we thought. We then find out that once the warranty company had given the green light on the repair mercedes supposed master techs started the job and apparently blew the engine. Someone didn't set the timing right and tried to start it so the dealership had the vehicle for 3 months and had to replace the entire top half of the engine with brand new parts. Then i believe in April we picked up the car after they say its good as new. Well i right away could tell a difference in the power, could smell diesel fuel and there was a constant squeal. Informed their manager in the service department and they took the car back after a week of driving it and found that some throttle sensor or something under the head was needing replacement after going back and forth with their techs since they tried to tell us the diesels always smell and sound like this (which obviously isn't true) So they give it back and the power is back and the smell is gone but this squeal isn't going away so we've driven it for a couple months without and issues other than this sound that we have no idea what it is and i decided to contact MB Corporate and they got involved but let me know I have to go back to the same dealership since it was their work so here we are again. Took the car into them last monday and they've replaced the engine chain tensioner and the sound is still there so they're saying they have no clue so they're going to remove the engine and basically start tearing it apart. I am so fed up with them having my car, giving me a little 5 seater loaner that isn't big enough for our whole family and who knows what they're going to damage this time. I feel like the vehicle could be majorly compromised at this point and don't know if my next step should be to allow them to have it for however long it takes them to get to the bottom of it or contact my lawyer? What would you all do at this point?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,097 Likes on 884 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Sounds like they are taking ownership of the problem. Not sure what else you can do that you haven't already done other than not buying the car.
The following users liked this post:
SaniDel (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Sounds like they are taking ownership of the problem. Not sure what else you can do that you haven't already done other than not buying the car.
Yeah I guess I just have to wait and hope they don’t blow the engine again as they are now tearing apart the entire engine to find the issue. Guess I’m At their mercy once again. Will never go to that dealership ever again! Thank you for your response.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
Did the dealership provide you with a loaner for the entire time this will take? If so, there isn't more you can expect as @BlownV8 said. Hold on to the loaner until you are satisfied and don't involve a lawyer unless all else fails. I've been there twice and got replacement vehicles twice. YMMV
Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
Another way of looking at this is to ask what more they could do? It sounds like they will have to tear the engine apart as that is more cost effective than replacing the engine. They have to keep the vehicle in their shop for this, obviously. They are only obligated to provide a loaner vehicle ... not a specific model loaner vehicle although our dealership once provided a GLS as a loaner. So, it seems you are getting all you can expect.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Jmorris22
So to make a long story short...
Was that really making a long story short? Didn't seem like it.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 500 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Was that really making a long story short? Didn't seem like it.
lol sometimes people just need to vent
Old 08-05-2019, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
lol sometimes people just need to vent
Then you start off with "I need to vent:", and then follow with your long story that was supposedly short.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 500 Posts
2007 GL450
I'm sure the poor guy meant to keep it short but just got angrier and angrier then was so sick of it he just hit send.

We've all been there. I'm still kicking myself for paying $1,600 to replace the tumble flap. Er that is the whole manifold.

You have your truck at the dealership, they've got your nuts in a vise, or at least they make you feel like they do.

It's funny though. Once you get past the pain period, damn if that isn't a pretty fun truck.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
I'm sure the poor guy meant to keep it short but just got angrier and angrier then was so sick of it he just hit send.

We've all been there. I'm still kicking myself for paying $1,600 to replace the tumble flap. Er that is the whole manifold.

You have your truck at the dealership, they've got your nuts in a vise, or at least they make you feel like they do.

It's funny though. Once you get past the pain period, damn if that isn't a pretty fun truck.
Yeah....coming up on 2 years with mine in Dec and I still love it. Although I sure do miss my S600. If it wasn't going in for service every other month, I'd still have it.