GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Towing Enclosed Trailers - Your Experiences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 X5 | '97 M3 Racecar
Towing Enclosed Trailers - Your Experiences?

I am currently going through a buyback process with Ford and my 2018 F-150, and find myself in need of a new tow vehicle. I pull an aluminum 20' enclosed racecar trailer, with a total length of 27' (nose to tail, including tongue) and overall weight of about 6500 lbs.

Although I am considering another half-ton pickup truck, the X166 GL is also on my list. The 122" wheelbase indicates it'd tow pretty well, and I know there are various systems that work together to help handle trailers as designed by Mercedes (Airmatic, ESP, etc).

My forum searching has shown some photos of others towing large enclosed car trailers and campers, but the posts are all fairly old. Was curious if anyone could check in and share their more recent experiences. I am looking at 2013-2014 GL450s in particular, though I'm open to most any year/engine choice.

For reference, here's the trailer:

Towing Enclosed Trailers - Your Experiences?-avjlxc1.jpg
Old 08-01-2019, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
I pulled my 5k lb 24' boat, 30' dual axle trailer weighs 1200lbs... with a '12 ml63.

so i think this is shorter axle length, plenty of power and braking...

75 on the highway with no worries....

then i slowed to 65 simply because 75 scared the crap out of me thinking if i had to stop quick
The following users liked this post:
MaxCadillac (05-19-2020)
Old 08-03-2019, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You need to focus on Factory Installed hitch - not aftermarket hitch - Factory Installed Hitch the wiring is integrated into the safety systems like ESP and Crosswind Assist (later models)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 AM
xML

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML500
Originally Posted by Brake_L8
I am currently going through a buyback process with Ford and my 2018 F-150, and find myself in need of a new tow vehicle. I pull an aluminum 20' enclosed racecar trailer, with a total length of 27' (nose to tail, including tongue) and overall weight of about 6500 lbs.

Although I am considering another half-ton pickup truck, the X166 GL is also on my list. The 122" wheelbase indicates it'd tow pretty well, and I know there are various systems that work together to help handle trailers as designed by Mercedes (Airmatic, ESP, etc).

My forum searching has shown some photos of others towing large enclosed car trailers and campers, but the posts are all fairly old. Was curious if anyone could check in and share their more recent experiences. I am looking at 2013-2014 GL450s in particular, though I'm open to most any year/engine choice.

For reference, here's the trailer:
I tow a 20 enclosed trailer with a W166 ML350 Blutec. No problem except it's a little squat in the rear, with non-active suspension. Bought and returned a gas Touareg within two month and replaced it with the ML. Touareg couldn't get up to speed or hold highway speeds well. Aluminum frame trailer is 2700lbs, car is only 1350lb tho. Plus the usual tools, camping gear, 100l of extra fuel, extra wheels. ML has the factory hitch. Added an Prodigy wireless brake controller that's been trouble free.

%g
Old 08-16-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
GL 350

I have been pulling a 26 ft aluminium vintage camper that weighs about 6000 lbs, with 600 lbs tongue weight, with our GL 350 for 4 years now. It does a great job.
The problem with race car trailers is the VERY high tongue weight (I weighed the tongue weight of my friend's 27' race car trailer and it was 1400 lbs!)
GL is a great tow vehicle. Its very stable, pulls fine, stops great, and the diesel variant is very efficient (can go 400 miles before re-feulling).
The limitation of GL is that its a unibody vehicle. You cannot attach a class IV hitch to a unibody vehicle and use weight distribution hitches. unibody vehicles are not designed for that.
GL's hitch limit is 600 lbs and it seems new GL's do not recommend using weight distribution hitches (This was not the case on older GLs).
I would think a pickup would be a better choice. Its much cheaper to purchase, maintain, and repair. You can tow/haul more with a pickup and having a frame means manufacturers can affix a stout class IV hitch to it and you can do serious weight distribution with a weight distribution hitch. Also, trucks have much better cooling systems, and if properly spec'ed, come with integrated tow mirrors and brake controllers. They also have a tow haul button that changes the transmission shift points.
I am thinking of getting a pickup when our GL retires from towing duties. I am sure no truck is as comfortable as a GL (its the most comfy vehicle I have ever driven and is wonderful for long trips). For heavy towing, I think a pickup a better vehicle though.
P.S. Here is a photo of our trailer with our GL 350
Good luck!

Last edited by RostamDastan; 08-16-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Richard Nummi (11-27-2020)
Old 08-17-2019, 04:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
GL 350
There are other practical considerations too. We are thinking of a cross country trip and while our GL has been relatively reliable, I keep thinking what would happen if we have an issue in South Dakota? If you have a domestic truck, you can find a mechanic anywhere in this county, whereas the nearest Mercedes dealership could 500 miles away when you are in South Dakota. You could also get a Tundra and not worry about anything breaking. Another issue is spare tire. Our GL is 2012 and has runflats and newer GL's have a donut spare which is no good for towing. Pickups come with a full size spare. Also a pickup bed is a better place to put firewood, grill, etc than GL's trunk (this may not be applicable to towing a racecar trailer)

Also Mercedes has stopped making the diesel variants of GL. I have had the gas 3.0 V6 bi-turbo GL 450's as loaners and I am not sure I would want to tow with them. And GL 550's with V8s have MSRP of around $100k. With that money, you can buy a well appointed Tundra ($40k) for towing and a nice E class ($60k) as daily driver.

Mercedes obviously does not market GL as tow vehicles, even though they are very capable (I believe its the most capable unibody vehicle in the market. It punches way above its weight class). IF (and thats a big IF) GL came with integrated tow mirrors, integrated brake controllers, and diesel exhaust brake, it would be a MUCH better tow vehicle, but thats not going to happen as only a small fraction of owners tow with it.I really despise the clip on tow mirrors. I have learned how to affix them so they don't vibrate, but nothing is as easy as just extending an integrated tow mirror.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW M5, Subie outback, Cruze td, GL550, LPE 630 C6 Z06
Sioux Falls has an MB dealership and Rapid City has an MB friendly indy. So, you can't really get 500 miles from help in S. Dakota. However, No. Dakota, Montana or Wyo. might be a different story. As a Jackrabbit alum, I had to represent!!
RostamDastan (08-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by RostamDastan
h.
P.S. Here is a photo of our trailer with our GL 350
Good luck!
350!!!!

Whoa... Impressive.