GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

how risky is it to buy higher mileage GL 550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
how risky is it to buy higher mileage GL 550?

I've been reading individual forums re complaints and issues. Overall, how dumb an idea is it to buy a 100k+ mile GL 550? What particularly confuses and scares me is the air suspension. I'm definitely a capable DIYer, but are the parts reasonably attainable (cost wise) for the Adaptive Damping System (ADS) (comfort/sport selectible) suspension?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,029 Likes on 3,166 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
High mileage German vehicles are expensive to maintain. If this concerns you, another choice of vehicle may be a better option for you.

A few people on this site are satisfied with high mileage V8 M-B SUVs. The suspension items you mention are expensive to replace, and air suspensions specifically are known to need repair.

Google Arnott air struts and you will get a feel for price. Search this site for your questions, these items are frequently discussed.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:51 PM

E550C
Found the airbags for it, Arnott model A-2596/ Approx $150 each. Not bad. I thought perhaps the entire shock would need replacement. I have a high mileage MB, a 2010 E550 and it has been solid and a joy to drive. Only thermostat and starter needed replacement. I'm not afraid of it just due to the mileage, MB uses the highest quality parts available.The parts are just made to last.

That said, are there any other problem areas that are high dollar repairs? Door locks etc dont seem to be that big a deal cost wise. What's this regarding engine problems in these vehicles requiring the engine be dropped? Just trying to get a taste of how this vehicle has fared in comparison to my bulletproof E Coupe that has served me so well.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 550
If you DIY, which doesn't seem to be a big job according to what I researched before buying my GL550, the air suspension repair is not very expensive if the air pump hasn't been damaged. The air pump can go bad if the leaky suspension is allowed to go on for a while.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:15 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2015 GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by zzz4
If you DIY, which doesn't seem to be a big job according to what I researched before buying my GL550, the air suspension repair is not very expensive if the air pump hasn't been damaged. The air pump can go bad if the leaky suspension is allowed to go on for a while.
Actually the air pump is not very difficult to rebuild. There are rebuild kits available and pretty cheap. I just renewed mine although it doesn't have any problem. Blowed out a lot of brush powder and cleaned everything, as well as replaced the piston ring and gaskets. Also replaced the dessicator with new beads, and a new air filter. There are instructions video available on youtube.

Last edited by geniushanbiao; 04-11-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:21 PM

While the air suspension parts are quite expensive to me, they are pretty easy to replace as long as you have access to a cloned Star/Xentry system (I got mine from China for about $500) so it can release the pressure in the strut (not the pressure in the air spring).

The M278 engine is generally not problematic if maintained well, but there's an unpredictable issue within its silitec cylinder sleeve. Some of them experience premature failure that will lead to engine replacement. Rebuilding is even difficult due to that there's no way a rebuild shop can fit silitec sleeve into it. You will just replace the silitec cylinders with iron ones. Another folk posted the details when he's rebuilding his 550 engine and he explained clearly how the engineering fails.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:56 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by geniushanbiao
While the air suspension parts are quite expensive to me, they are pretty easy to replace as long as you have access to a cloned Star/Xentry system (I got mine from China for about $500) so it can release the pressure in the strut (not the pressure in the air spring).

The M278 engine is generally not problematic if maintained well, but there's an unpredictable issue within its silitec cylinder sleeve. Some of them experience premature failure that will lead to engine replacement. Rebuilding is even difficult due to that there's no way a rebuild shop can fit silitec sleeve into it. You will just replace the silitec cylinders with iron ones. Another folk posted the details when he's rebuilding his 550 engine and he explained clearly how the engineering fails.
This is the high mileage issue that scares me. I have been a big fan of the M112/112K/113/113K motor line, they were so rock solid. We finally sent the wife's SLK to pasture with close to 400K miles, other than routine maint, and a water pump at 325K miles the thing was a champ. She now has a E350 cab with a M276. I have a E55 with M113K with close to 200K miles and (knock on wood) it has been rock solid, it has a few mods, but nothing major. Need more room than the W211 so I am looking at the GL550 or GL63, but I also like to drive my MB's for 400K miles. I have no issue with needing to do routine mait. or replacing wear items like suspension components. I just don't want to buy a truck with 60K miles and then after 40K have to shell out $10K+ on a replacement engine.

Used to drive Diesels back when Diesels were indestructible.

The following users liked this post:
nauticalx (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:00 PM

E550C
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniushanbiao View Post

This is the high mileage issue that scares me. I have been a big fan of the M112/112K/113/113K motor line, they were so rock solid. We finally sent the wife's SLK to pasture with close to 400K miles, other than routine maint, and a water pump at 325K miles the thing was a champ. She now has a E350 cab with a M276. I have a E55 with M113K with close to 200K miles and (knock on wood) it has been rock solid, it has a few mods, but nothing major. Need more room than the W211 so I am looking at the GL550 or GL63, but I also like to drive my MB's for 400K miles. I have no issue with needing to do routine mait. or replacing wear items like suspension components. I just don't want to buy a truck with 60K miles and then after 40K have to shell out $10K+ on a replacement engine.

Used to drive Diesels back when Diesels were indestructible

-- Right.
Exactly! That problem is absolutely terrifying to think of. What year was this silitec sleeve issue resolved in? Or was it?
Old 04-13-2020, 12:44 PM
mtm

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
gl450
I think it's worth noting, that at least on this forum, only one member had the issue with Silitec coating (there is no sleeve in m278) wearing out. This member's opinion was that the Silitec coating on cylinder walls was a bad idea and that it will eventually wear out. He has rebuilt his engine using iron sleeves instead.

As far as I know there is no widespread problem with Silitec coatings wearing out - and there are many X166 GLs now approaching or passing 100K miles mark. There are also many SLs and others with the same m278 engine that are even older. And Silitec lining is not new or unique to m278. Previous engines like m273 and m113 use Silitec as well.

A known issue with m278 in GL450 and GL550, and now it appears with m157 in GL63 as well, is a valve guide in cylinder 5 due to a faulty press being used during installation. It appears that only cars from late 2013 through some period of 2014 are affected. Cars with this issue would experience misfire in cyl 5 and would require engine removal and head(s) replacement/rebuild. This would usually happen earlier in the engine life, before or around 50K miles.

Last edited by mtm; 04-13-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by nauticalx
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniushanbiao View Post

Used to drive Diesels back when Diesels were indestructible

-- Right.
Exactly! That problem is absolutely terrifying to think of. What year was this silitec sleeve issue resolved in? Or was it?
No need to be scared frankly. The chance this happens is pretty low TBH. Just so you know that and be prepared, if it happens you know what you will be looking at so it won't get you shocked. Modern MBs are not factory designed to go over 300k miles I be frank on that. Not due to mechanical limit but at some point the repair cost will exceed the value of the vehicle. Neither M276 nor M113 is problem free it's just you are lucky not to encounter them yet. The M278 has a building quality better than the M113 actually.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:25 AM

E550C
Originally Posted by mtm
I think it's worth noting, that at least on this forum, only one member had the issue with Silitec coating (there is no sleeve in m278) wearing out. This member's opinion was that the Silitec coating on cylinder walls was a bad idea and that it will eventually wear out. He has rebuilt his engine using iron sleeves instead.

As far as I know there is no widespread problem with Silitec coatings wearing out - and there are many X166 GLs now approaching or passing 100K miles mark. There are also many SLs and others with the same m278 engine that are even older. And Silitec lining is not new or unique to m278. Previous engines like m273 and m113 use Silitec as well.

A known issue with m278 in GL450 and GL550, and now it appears with m157 in GL63 as well, is a valve guide in cylinder 5 due to a faulty press being used during installation. It appears that only cars from late 2013 through some period of 2014 are affected. Cars with this issue would experience misfire in cyl 5 and would require engine removal and head(s) replacement/rebuild. This would usually happen earlier in the engine life, before or around 50K miles.
that's interesting, i have a m273 550, naturally aspirated, it's been bulletproof as expected. not yet 100k miles but everything ive read is that this engine is a beast and workhorse. i wonder if , in the 4.7, the turbo and perhaps higher compression causes issues with the silitec? CAFA definitely caused manufacturers to develop new drivetrains quickly, and perhaps too quickly. remember those turbocharged 250 engines? what a garbage engine!
i dont get much gas mileage with the 550 but man i love that engine and everything about it! it a 2010 with the comfort sport button and its amazing how in comfort it almost feels like a v6 but when you press sport, the thing turns into a voracious animal!

Last edited by nauticalx; 04-14-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:32 AM

E550C
easy readin'
https://www.european-aluminium.eu/me...er-linings.pdf
Old 04-14-2020, 10:45 AM

E550C
Originally Posted by geniushanbiao
No need to be scared frankly. The chance this happens is pretty low TBH. Just so you know that and be prepared, if it happens you know what you will be looking at so it won't get you shocked. Modern MBs are not factory designed to go over 300k miles I be frank on that. Not due to mechanical limit but at some point the repair cost will exceed the value of the vehicle. Neither M276 nor M113 is problem free it's just you are lucky not to encounter them yet. The M278 has a building quality better than the M113 actually.
my doctor had full engine out diagnosis, and ultimate replacement in his gl63. pretty low mileage and its a 2014 i believe. took the dealer the better part of a month to figure out the issue and extended warranty to pay for it. pretty afraid of this occurrence to say the least. may be a coincidence, but with the fuel economy being so low, tires cost, other potential issues, I'm starting to lean away from a gl550. as much as i love the design and hate the look of the steering wheel, im not sure what to do other than sit tight because it's not an urgent need. maybe the car prices will crash and ill get one too good to pass up.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:46 AM

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
2014 GL450, 1992 W140 300SD, 1993 W140 300SE, 1987 E30 Convertible
In two words - all high miles MB are risky business. Buying GL550 even riskier - you don't know how much of maintenance and abuse being done by previous owners.
Overall - everything is rebuildable. The only question - do you really want to deal with it timewise and financially.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:38 AM

E550C
Originally Posted by arsupisemnet
In two words - all high miles MB are risky business. Buying GL550 even riskier - you don't know how much of maintenance and abuse being done by previous owners.
Overall - everything is rebuildable. The only question - do you really want to deal with it timewise and financially.
agree to an extent but id buy a higher mileage m273 e550 in a heartbeat, including many others in that age-range. bulletproof drivetrain and reliability. everything post cafa seems to be less reliable. drivetrain and electronics.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:46 AM

I would not buy e550. Basic psychology. How many people you see flying around in GL's and how many you see in E's.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:49 AM

E550C
A nice well maintained E550 is light years more reliable than a Gl550. so many more parts to maintain and go bad in a gl. just a bigger vehicle. the reliability rate isnt even close.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:57 AM

Back to the subject of M278 engine and any other Silitec engine. You can last it for a quite a while - as long as you don't give a siht about it. I rebuilded it just because i didn't like deep scratching in cylinder walls and wear on pistons. But that is just me - a guy who know how to do that. Now some people have an argument - some of the Silitec engine lasts - sure they are. Till one day your piston skirt brakes of and your crankcase shatters into pieces.
Main problem here is that any engine should not have these kind of wear at 100k miles. At least cast iron's never had.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:03 PM

E550C
Originally Posted by arsupisemnet
Back to the subject of M278 engine and any other Silitec engine. You can last it for a quite a while - as long as you don't give a siht about it. I rebuilded it just because i didn't like deep scratching in cylinder walls and wear on pistons. But that is just me - a guy who know how to do that. Now some people have an argument - some of the Silitec engine lasts - sure they are. Till one day your piston skirt brakes of and your crankcase shatters into pieces.
Main problem here is that any engine should not have these kind of wear at 100k miles. At least cast iron's never had.
Agree 100%. should last much longer without such wear.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:03 PM

that's interesting, i have a m273 550, naturally aspirated, it's been bulletproof as expected. not yet 100k miles but everything ive read is that this engine is a beast and workhorse. i wonder if , in the 4.7, the turbo and perhaps higher compression causes issues with the silitec? CAFA definitely caused manufacturers to develop new drivetrains quickly, and perhaps too quickly. remember those turbocharged 250 engines? what a garbage engine!
i dont get much gas mileage with the 550 but man i love that engine and everything about it! it a 2010 with the comfort sport button and its amazing how in comfort it almost feels like a v6 but when you press sport, the thing turns into a voracious animal!
Like I mentioned the main issue with the M272/M273 family is the balance shaft material issue and it was actually solved around 2009 so if you have a 2010 MY it should have the updated balance shaft then it's bullet proof. Just avoid early model M272/M273 with the non-replaced balance shaft. I had a 2007 M272 and I did the balance shaft work. As a matter of fact the M272/273 were still using port injection so they run cleaner than the later M276/278 series that use DI.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:00 PM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2009 GL450 SOLD / 2011 GL550 SOLD / 2013 GL450 current daily
My current 2013 GL450 has 150K miles and runs amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country. The only think I am planning to replace are the rear shocks. I will do that work myself.

About three years ago I purchase a 2011 GL550 (black with black interior & factory DVD system) with a bit over 200,000 miles on it. Paid bout $7000 with the interior and exterior in amazing condition.

I replaced these following parts within days of buying it and after that I put about 30K miles on it before selling it for $8000. The Benz ran amazing and never gave me any issues after doing that initial maintenance.

- Rear shocks (went with Arnott) - paid about $400 for them and installed myself in less that two hours
- cam plugs - $30 and 5 minutes to replace myself
- spark plugs - $60 and replaced myself in about 30 minutes
- Fluids - rear diff, front diff & transaxle - $40 and replaced myself in about 30 minutes
- Transmission fluid & filter - $180 for the kit and paid an indy shop to do the work for $130.

So my point is, if the price is low enough and you are somewhat mechanically inclined, go for it.

Last edited by mrathell; 04-14-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Scott2016 (06-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,097 Likes on 884 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
A nice well maintained E550 is light years more reliable than a Gl550. so many more parts to maintain and go bad in a gl. just a bigger vehicle. the reliability rate isnt even close.
Not sure where this data is from or where it is published but the GL's I've owned have been every bit and slightly more reliable than the E's I've owned. I'll go as far to say the GL is the most reliable MB I've ever owned. I have logged over 300k miles on my GL's and similar miles on my E's.
mrathell (04-14-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLS 550
not really that much different. other than weight on the suspension. Both essentially use the same drivetrain, as long as you don't get the 2 speed transfer case in the GL, (yeah I know they don't have the same exact transferc ase, but still both have one and they are similar in design) both sit on airbags. I guess GL could have the hydraulic antisway control,