GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Oil Migration/ Expensive Repairs in 2014 GL 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gl 500
Angry Oil Migration/ Expensive Repairs in 2014 GL 500

Hi MB Experts!

Single Mom hoping for some help-- I have a 2014 GL 550 (about 90,000 miles) and a few months ago the engine light would not go off. I had 2 sensors replaced hoping that would be the fix but no luck. Finally the dealer told me it was oil that was getting into the harness and that this issue would continue to damage the "electronic brain" of the car. Repair is around $7k. While the manager of the Oakland dealership called MB corporate to find out if this repair could be covered as an engine flaw, the water pump went out (I was getting a "check coolant" error code but took it to the dealer for quick check of the fluid and it was fine) this second repair is $4,400.
Note: I feel strongly that the waterpump issue would have been diagnosed and repaired for less $ if the engine light from the oil migration issue had not been happening. I've also had the Mercedes Repair guy and another independent mechanic say this oil migration issue is an engine flaw.
The Mercedes service manager said if my car didn't have so many miles on it, maybe they would have covered the repair-- huh?? A flaw is a flaw right? Also, during a 2019 service at the dealer, "oil in the engine" was noted but no follow up or repair was recommended. at that time it probably had about 70,000 miles on it.
I tried calling MB advocate group directly as my family has spent a ton of $$ with Mercedes in the last 10 yrs, but after jerking me around for 2 weeks they said they will not cover the cost of repairs.

So, this they want me to spend $11,400 to repair something that may not fix the actual cause of the problem (oil leaking to places it should not be getting into...) All I hear is that they can give me a credit to trade it in (which I don't want) Side note-- a sales guy called me and said I should trade it in asap because it was only worth $1,000 (seriously??!!)

Please help!
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by amykeo
Hi MB Experts!

Single Mom hoping for some help-- I have a 2014 GL 550 (about 90,000 miles) and a few months ago the engine light would not go off. I had 2 sensors replaced hoping that would be the fix but no luck. Finally the dealer told me it was oil that was getting into the harness and that this issue would continue to damage the "electronic brain" of the car. Repair is around $7k. While the manager of the Oakland dealership called MB corporate to find out if this repair could be covered as an engine flaw, the water pump went out (I was getting a "check coolant" error code but took it to the dealer for quick check of the fluid and it was fine) this second repair is $4,400.
Note: I feel strongly that the waterpump issue would have been diagnosed and repaired for less $ if the engine light from the oil migration issue had not been happening. I've also had the Mercedes Repair guy and another independent mechanic say this oil migration issue is an engine flaw.
The Mercedes service manager said if my car didn't have so many miles on it, maybe they would have covered the repair-- huh?? A flaw is a flaw right? Also, during a 2019 service at the dealer, "oil in the engine" was noted but no follow up or repair was recommended. at that time it probably had about 70,000 miles on it.
I tried calling MB advocate group directly as my family has spent a ton of $$ with Mercedes in the last 10 yrs, but after jerking me around for 2 weeks they said they will not cover the cost of repairs.

So, this they want me to spend $11,400 to repair something that may not fix the actual cause of the problem (oil leaking to places it should not be getting into...) All I hear is that they can give me a credit to trade it in (which I don't want) Side note-- a sales guy called me and said I should trade it in asap because it was only worth $1,000 (seriously??!!)

Please help!
@amykeo Sorry to hear about your experience. It's a normal part of Mercedes ownership, unfortunately. Consumers agree that oil wicking into the engine harness is a flaw. Mercedes doesn't agree, and they have the power in this situation. I flagged oil leaks to my dealer three times, and they repaired one out of three leaks after my badgering. Mercedes product support and dealer support are generally terrible, on average.

Your options are to do the repairs yourself, pay an independent repair shop, pay a Mercedes dealer, or live with the situation until the car is undriveable. Water leak repairs aren't too bad if you are experienced at car repair. The oil wicking situation can be corrected if caught early enough.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:12 PM
mtm

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
gl450
Without knowing the exact issue it's hard to offer any advice, but from what you said it sounds like a common issue with this car - camshaft position sensors leaking oil into the wiring harness. If that is the case, most likely you'll be able to just replace the sensors and clean the harness contacts with a degreaser. Any independent mechanic should be able to do this for a few hundred dollars of not less.

Dealer is probably quoting the whole piece of harness replacement, which is expensive, but probably not necessary.

Take a look at this thread - it has some info and pictures of the location of the sensors:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...e-harness.html

Last edited by mtm; 12-04-2020 at 08:14 PM.
chassis (12-04-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:38 PM

Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts
2014 GL450, 1992 W140 300SD, 1993 W140 300SE, 1987 E30 Convertible
I would ignore "oil in harness" bs. Find some non-dealership mercedes service shop (not dealers) who can provide you with detailed Xentry (diagnostic) scan and post it here. Check engine might be something else. That is common rip off dealership procedure.
Water pump can be changed for much cheaper if you look around. Also you can buy aftermarket part from eBay if you can't afford original MB part.
The following 2 users liked this post by arsupisemnet:
chassis (12-06-2020), OnlyGerman (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Is there even anyone who experienced a failed wiring harness due to these leaks? Seems like they like pitching this first as it is more $$$ for them.
chassis (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
Is there even anyone who experienced a failed wiring harness due to these leaks? Seems like they like pitching this first as it is more $$$ for them.
People on this site have reported CEL and misfire related to oil insulating the ECU from the various sensor signals.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:23 PM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
I had the oil in the engine wiring harness issue on my 2015 GL63 AMG. Repaired at independent mechanic with Zurich extended warranty for a little over $4k. The car was undrivable once the issue presented itself in my situation. Prior to then, it was completely trouble free.
The following 2 users liked this post by SndsoftheSbrbs:
chassis (12-09-2020), steh-fan (01-13-2022)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:38 AM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by SndsoftheSbrbs
I had the oil in the engine wiring harness issue on my 2015 GL63 AMG. Repaired at independent mechanic with Zurich extended warranty for a little over $4k. The car was undrivable once the issue presented itself in my situation. Prior to then, it was completely trouble free.
@SndsoftheSbrbs Mind posting your repair order/receipt? Or at least what they repaired? I think it'll be good to have them in one place. Here is mine:

SndsoftheSbrbs (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:39 AM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
@amykeo Sorry to hear this, I'm dealing with this to on a 2014 GL63. Can you maybe get them to print you up an estimate and then post to this forum to see what exactly they are fixing? I just posted what they fixed on mine, but I still have the issue.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:43 AM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Originally Posted by Chedman13
@SndsoftheSbrbs Mind posting your repair order/receipt? Or at least what they repaired? I think it'll be good to have them in one place. Here is mine:
Receipt for my 2015 GL63: