GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

“Cameras not calibrated”

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 12:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS350, R350, 240GL, 996 C4 cab, 930 Turbo, 944, 924, P38 Range Rover, Land Rover Discovery, 3 Minis
“Cameras not calibrated”

I wonder if anyone knows how to enter the active “self learning” mode for the 360 degree camera system on a 2017 GLS.

I have been having intermittent noise problems in my front camera view for around a month and once or twice there has been no image, just a black blank where the front camera image should be stitched in. So I decided to buy a new one and replace the old intermittent camera.

Before I did this I had taken the old camera off, dismantled it, cleaned it, had contact cleaner in everything to get it as clean as I could, but the intermittent fault did not get resolved, sometimes it was perfect, sometimes scratchy and sometimes blank.

I understand that there are two calibration modes, one is static, using a set of specially marked mats which have to be placed around the car.

The second is to use an active self learning mode, in which the car is driven around for perhaps 15 minutes and the car teaches itself what it is seeing.

Today, the new camera arrived. So I took the old one off, fitted the new and expected to see a newly perfect image when I tried it. Instead I got the calibration error. Tried putting the old camera back on, until I work out how to enter the active self learning calibration mode (without static mats). Murphy’s Law of course… now I get the same message with the old camera too!

Can anyone please explain how to put the car into active self learning mode? I don’t have the mats!

Kind regards, Paul
Old 05-20-2022, 10:24 AM

Received 263 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 GL450, 1992 W140 300SD, 1993 W140 300SE, 1987 E30 Convertible
Kind of out of logic approaching. First you calibrate with mats... It is first step... Technically only step...
Old 05-20-2022, 12:16 PM

GLS350, R350, 240GL, 996 C4 cab, 930 Turbo, 944, 924, P38 Range Rover, Land Rover Discovery, 3 Minis
Originally Posted by arsupisemnet
Kind of out of logic approaching. First you calibrate with mats... It is first step... Technically only step...
Thanks for reading my question, but I am not sure I understand your response, it doesn't answer any of my question.

There are two ways to calibrate the cameras, one way is static, with mats. The other is a dynamic mode, where the computer "learns" how to stick things together during drive, taking into account speed and steering angles.

Are you able to help by explaining what needs to be done to put the car into calibration mode? Do I need Xentry, a Mercedes STAR system? Is there a way to do it without access to a Mercedes diagnostic computer? With the very greatest respect, and I genuinely don't mean to be impolite, if you don't know the answer, I can't see how your response helps at all. I don't really need spurious comments, what I am really looking for is help. It could well be that no-one on this forum knows the answer... in which case I will go and get sorted at the dealership. I was just hoping to save some money.

Thanks and kindest regards, Paul
Old 05-20-2022, 03:27 PM

Received 263 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 GL450, 1992 W140 300SD, 1993 W140 300SE, 1987 E30 Convertible
The mat calibration is alignment of the cameras in between and vision of depth calibration - at least used to be like that. Unless it is done - as a first step, your systems won't function properly. Normally all the work done by using Xentry now on.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Get WIS and XENTRY or take it to a repair shop that has those systems.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by chassis
Get WIS and XENTRY or take it to a repair shop that has those systems.
I know, obviously.

My car is serviced at the dealer where I bought it new, it is due in for a “complementary health check” in a couple of weeks time. They will be able to sort the cameras out when it goes in, I already know that.

They will charge me Mercedes Main Dealer rates for doing it. I’m “happy” (not really) to do this when I have to, but I would not be paying them to replace my brake pads and sensors, or renew my tyres or change to winter wheels or other tasks (like replacing the chrome bumper trim) which don’t require $40k of specialized diagnostic equipment.

My question is how to enter the self learning mode. If nobody knows how to do it then I will be paying Mercedes through the nose to do it and take solace in the fact that I paid less for the grille camera part itself than they would have charged me.

Telling me to go to the dealer is not helpful at all, I already know that and will be doing it if no-one has the knowledge on how to do-it-yourself. I certainly don’t unless someone teaches me!

The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 02:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Please provide your opinion about procuring for yourself WIS and XENTRY.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 250D 2017
Originally Posted by seneschal
I wonder if anyone knows how to enter the active “self learning” mode for the 360 degree camera system on a 2017 GLS.

I have been having intermittent noise problems in my front camera view for around a month and once or twice there has been no image, just a black blank where the front camera image should be stitched in. So I decided to buy a new one and replace the old intermittent camera.

Before I did this I had taken the old camera off, dismantled it, cleaned it, had contact cleaner in everything to get it as clean as I could, but the intermittent fault did not get resolved, sometimes it was perfect, sometimes scratchy and sometimes blank.

I understand that there are two calibration modes, one is static, using a set of specially marked mats which have to be placed around the car.

The second is to use an active self learning mode, in which the car is driven around for perhaps 15 minutes and the car teaches itself what it is seeing.

Today, the new camera arrived. So I took the old one off, fitted the new and expected to see a newly perfect image when I tried it. Instead I got the calibration error. Tried putting the old camera back on, until I work out how to enter the active self learning calibration mode (without static mats). Murphy’s Law of course… now I get the same message with the old camera too!

Can anyone please explain how to put the car into active self learning mode? I don’t have the mats!

Kind regards, Paul

Hi mate

How did you sort this out in the end? Having Same issue after fitting after market fromt camera
Old 07-19-2024, 10:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS550
Originally Posted by amz100
Hi mate

How did you sort this out in the end? Having Same issue after fitting after market fromt camera
lol was searching for N148 360 Camera issue that started happening on my 2019 GLS550 since yesterday and reached here. Huge shoutout to BenzNinja @BenzNinja by the way, they jumped on to assist me even after hours.

———

Not sure if this helps anyone, i do have an appointment with the dealer on Monday as XENRTY was showing Blind Spot error, Dynamic Cruise Control Error etc on Dash.

Connected to XENTRY via OBD and quick test showed calibration errors on all. So put the cameras in learning mode via XENTRY , drove around on the freeway and streets to calibrate. Lesson learned that calibration speeds vary and have to keep an eye on staying green on the command or the test stops.

Was able to calibrate all but one front facing camera. For all three cameras, i get a green check saying its completed but the front keeps looping and exits out.

To answer the above question, calibration is done via XENTRY software that connects via the OBD port of the car.

Last edited by Groundhog101; 07-19-2024 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (07-20-2024)