GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

New GLA250 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
New GLA250 Check Engine Light

Picked up my GLA250 on Saturday morning. Sunday morning check engine light comes on and the engine sounds like a spark plug is missfiring. Restart the car and back to normal. This morning, check engine light is on, otherwise the car is fine. Tried restarting, light still on.

Taking it to the dealer Wednesday.

Last edited by kozak79; 12-24-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes GLA 250
Post up what the issue was when they repair it. Hopefully something simple.
I had a brand new Jeep years ago that did exactly what your GLA is doing. It turned out to be a defective chip. The problem was it took them a week to get the replacement chip.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
Picked up the car from the dealer. Here is their report:

So basically they don't know why it happened. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 E500
THANK you for posting a pic of the tech's actual troubleshooting summary. It's rare to see the actual service info on the board and I find it very useful.

BTW - Not sure if all dealers do this but mine will take the original service report back...which happens to be the detailed version and gives me a summary report to take home. Taking a queue from this thread, I'll start taking pictures of the original before handing it back to the dealer.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 AM

Mercedes GLA250
New GLA250 check engine light

900 miles and notice the check engine light goes on. Seems fine otherwise except maybe rough downshifting when slowing down. Taking it in Friday but not happy about this.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:30 PM

2009 E350, 2015 GLK350 4Matic
My wife's CEL randomly came on a few months ago then went off on its own and today the gas pedal stopped working while driving. Take the car in to get it looked at if something comes up. Don't take a chance.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:19 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
I had an extremely similar issue on my BMW 335i at 68k miles. Engine light with rough start, P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire. In my case, this was due to the direct injector on cylinder one was leaking fuel whenever there was leftover fuel pressure, but otherwise functioning properly.

I am not an expert, but my brother in law said the misfire had something to do with fuel vapor in the cylinder being at the wrong compression or something like that (I could be misquoting him from memory). Most of the time it was just rough start/idle for 10 seconds, then fine. Only happened after car sat for a long time. The unpleasant part of this is that the injectors are usually replaced in pairs or threes (6 cyl) because they have sync'd timings. Those injectors are usually 300$ish a pop. Hopefully that isn't the issue you are having here.

Regarding your engine light staying on, it will stay on until the misfiring stops happening for some period of time. Some of those engine light-ups have to do with counting occurrences over a period of time and when the ratio starts to show more good data then bad data, the light will go out on its own. In my case usually 2 days from the incident it would go out on its own.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
P0301

Originally Posted by HumblePie
THANK you for posting a pic of the tech's actual troubleshooting summary. It's rare to see the actual service info on the board and I find it very useful.

BTW - Not sure if all dealers do this but mine will take the original service report back...which happens to be the detailed version and gives me a summary report to take home. Taking a queue from this thread, I'll start taking pictures of the original before handing it back to the dealer.

Thanks for sharing!

FYI, you can also take your car to Autozone or similar before taking to the dealership. They can hook a device to your OBD port and tell you the code before ever visiting the dealer. You can then compare what the information dealer volunteers to what the code said to see if they are being totally honest. Usually Autozone doesn't charge for this at all. You can also buy your own gadget to read these codes as well. I have attached a picture of that code readout below.