GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

New GLA has clicking noise when turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLA250 4Matic
New GLA has clicking noise when turning

We just took delivery of our 2015 GLA250 4 Matic (had to wait for the Keyless Go). We have noticed that when making a sharp right turn at slow speed (less than 5 mph) we hear a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the left front of the vehicle. This being our first Mercedes, we're not sure if this is normal or not. Any ideas?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
its not normal. if you can reproduce it, rake it to the dealer
Old 12-31-2014, 10:06 AM

2015 Mercedes GLA 250
No clicking from our new GLA 250. We have about 1,000 miles so far.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:35 AM

2002 C240, 2008 R350, 2015 GLA250 4 Matic
Yeah sounds like the CV joint, definitely not a sound a new car should be making.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:22 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
Thanks for the replies! I made an appointment with my dealer yesterday. It only does it on a slow, hard, hairpin like right turn going up a little incline. I'll probably record it on my iPhone to show the service department when I take it in. I'll post the results when they check it out. Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
15 GLA 45, 09 C63, 06 WRX STi
Originally Posted by captainmatt
Thanks for the replies! I made an appointment with my dealer yesterday. It only does it on a slow, hard, hairpin like right turn going up a little incline. I'll probably record it on my iPhone to show the service department when I take it in. I'll post the results when they check it out. Thanks again!
Is yours a 4-matic version? My GLA 45 was doing that as well when i first got it...dealer couldn't reproduce the noise (it only happens when its cold)...and it just stopped doing it altogether so figured it was just some part wearing in.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:36 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
I took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the condition. I do have a video of it in which you can clearly hear the noise. The technician advised to keep an ear out and if it becomes more prevalent, bring it back in. He took the time to watch the video and couldn't come up with any reason to be concerned and thinks that maybe it is due to the power transfer process with the 4matic system. I'm good with it for now. At least it is documented in case something serious comes up in the future. If anything additional happens, I'll update the post.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 PM

2021 GLE 53 AMG Sedan
We just took delivery of our 2015 GLA250 4 Matic (had to wait for the Keyless Go). We have noticed that when making a sharp right turn at slow speed (less than 5 mph) we hear a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the left front of the vehicle. This being our first Mercedes, we're not sure if this is normal or not. Any ideas?
I think I heard the same clicking noise when turning. One time when I was doing U-turn on a hill, I heard this clicking noise when turning sharply as described.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:23 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
Originally Posted by iarti
I think I heard the same clicking noise when turning. One time when I was doing U-turn on a hill, I heard this clicking noise when turning sharply as described.
Were you turning sharply to the right or to the left? Ours only does it on a sharp right turn going up a bit of an incline at slow speed (less than 10 mph).
Old 03-22-2015, 06:28 PM

GLA 250
Were you turning sharply to the right or to the left? Ours only does it on a sharp right turn going up a bit of an incline at slow speed (less than 10 mph).
My car does exactly what you're describing. Depending if I'm turning right or left on a start going up an incline I think the clicking sound will switch sides. It really sounds like a CV joint to me. I'm thinking about contacting the dealer on and have them check it out but my guess is that unless I actually take a test drive with the tech and try to make it happen, they'll 'can not duplicate' it.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 ML 350
probably you can post the video so the rest can hear what it sounds like.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:01 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
Originally Posted by ml350
probably you can post the video so the rest can hear what it sounds like.
Ok, I haven't had much luck posting the video, I've trimmed it down to 9 seconds and it still won't take the upload. Any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
I took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the condition. I do have a video of it in which you can clearly hear the noise. The technician advised to keep an ear out and if it becomes more prevalent, bring it back in. He took the time to watch the video and couldn't come up with any reason to be concerned and thinks that maybe it is due to the power transfer process with the 4matic system. I'm good with it for now. At least it is documented in case something serious comes up in the future. If anything additional happens, I'll update the post.
Had some other items for the dealer so when I took it in last week, I asked them to check this clicking noise. They gave me a GLA 4 matic loaner, and surprisingly, the loaner makes the same noise as my car. Everyone at the dealer agrees there's an issue, but no one knows what it is. They took my video and and elevating to Merc engineering.

I think the next time I take it in, I'll try to get a non GLA 4matic and see if it does it as well. To recap, it happens when making a sharp right turn (almost 180 degrees) going up a slight incline at slow speeds. I can understand their problem trying to duplicate it, but one of the turns out of my subdivision reminds me every day.

Will post updates as they occur.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:31 AM

gla 200
GLA200 same sound

Hey guys I just got my GLA 200 a couple of months ago and it has the exact same sound you are describing. They are checking it in two weeks from now, I hope they find out what's going wrong with it... So far they only told me it is not normal.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
I had my GLA in a few weeks ago and was told by the service manager that it is now a known issue at Mercedes and the engineers are working on a fix.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC

This is a long shot, but there a lot of reports of direct injection engines making a clicking sound during normal operation. My GLA sales guy said this is the one complaint they get consistently on new direct injection cars. This usually isn't audible to the driver unless you are driving next to a wall/tunnel where the sound is bouncing back at you. If this could be the clicking you are hearing, perhaps turning to the right is simply rotating the wheel in a way where the engine noise is bouncing back at you more?

You could try running your car in a tight garage and see if you hear the clicking sound all the time instead of just while the wheel is turned. If not, then probably not the issue, but it is an easy check.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:38 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
Originally Posted by dwlovell
This is a long shot, but there a lot of reports of direct injection engines making a clicking sound during normal operation. My GLA sales guy said this is the one complaint they get consistently on new direct injection cars. This usually isn't audible to the driver unless you are driving next to a wall/tunnel where the sound is bouncing back at you. If this could be the clicking you are hearing, perhaps turning to the right is simply rotating the wheel in a way where the engine noise is bouncing back at you more?

You could try running your car in a tight garage and see if you hear the clicking sound all the time instead of just while the wheel is turned. If not, then probably not the issue, but it is an easy check.
Nope, it's open road, going slow, hard right turn on an incline. That's the only time it happens.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
Here's another update. I had my GLA in to the dealer again today. One of the loaners they gave me was a GLA and it makes the exact noise. Then a ml350 loaner taken through the same area does not make the noise. This confirms my service manager's statement that it is a known issue with the GLA. What is not known is what the problem is and when the fix will be in. I suspect that Mercedes is counting on the fact that the vast majority of GLA owners are not putting their cars thru these conditions and thus not hearing the noise. This of course takes the pressure off MB to find a fix. I am pretty sure if you have a GLA you have this problem and you should be barking at your dealer. Every GLA that has come out of my dealer has this problem. I'm getting ready to notify my dealer that i am going to begin proceeding within the guidelines of the Missouri Lemon Law. It has been nearly a year and they have done nothing to correct the issue. In Missouri, the 4th times the charm for them to have to take the car back and give a full refund. I just took it in for the 3rd time. They keep telling me that it is safe to drive; however, if they don't know what's wrong, how can they say it's safe to drive? Sounds like they're piling on the liability. I will keep you all posted.

Another persistent issue has been the driver's side floor mat keepers. The right rear keeper broke the day we brought the new car home. I had it into the dealer twice to fix it. The first time they didn't have the part and the second time, a new keeper was put on but was very loose. It broke before I even got home from the dealer. I took it back to them today and they couldn't fix it again because they don't have spare parts. Now I have to take it back again when the part comes in. That will be the third time for that problem and that is definitely a safety issue. You would think they wouldn't want to risk a floor mat fiasco like Toyota had, but I guess they have such deep pockets they don't care. Maybe I'm working on a double lemon here. Updates to come as I get them.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
I've seen something like this before and it was to do with a power steering pump at the extremes of its range. Was deemed to be "normal" operation.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:59 AM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Fastbuck
I've seen something like this before and it was to do with a power steering pump at the extremes of its range. Was deemed to be "normal" operation.
We're not turning the wheel to the extreme, maybe 80%.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:51 AM

2021 GLE 53 AMG Sedan
Cool Resolution Now Available!

First of all, I must apologize for not keeping you posted since Janurary 2015.

I finally had a chance to take my car in for service three times in July 2015 and just last week my car was repaired.

The first time I brought my car in for service, they could not replicate the issue and was promptly returned the next day.

Second time, chief mechanic rode with me for about 20 minutes but could not replicate the problem. The car was, nevertheless, taken in for service again to see if cold start or different time of day would make a difference. The problem could not be replicated and was returned without repairing.

Third time, I came to the dealer prepared with several video clips showing the same clicking noise. The copy of video clips were then sent to the Mercedes-Benz Headquarter from the dealer and got a response in a few days (while my car was in for service) saying that they were aware of the issue and were in a process of finding a fix. The case was opened with Mercedes-Benz Headquarter and I was given a unique case number.

In September I checked in with the dealer and I was told that the resolution had recently become available but the dealer was still waiting for delivery of the parts.

Finally all necessary parts had arrived last week and was repaired within a day.

I have tested my car several times at hills where the problem persisted and, I can confirm that the clicking noise is now gone.

F.Y.I. Parts they replaced are TWO HALF-SHAFTS. I have been driving my GLA 250 4MATIC since December 2014.

Wish you all luck!

Last edited by iarti; 10-25-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:07 PM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
I was advised by my dealer that the "axles" (as they called it) have arrived from Germany and have made an appointment to take it in this week for repair/replacement. They also advised that MB is not rolling this out to all GLA's; rather, only to the owners who complain about it. Looking forward to putting this issue in the rear view mirror. Incidentally, my dealer's Service Manager, Herb Williams, has been awesome through this entire process. it was obviously something completely out of his control.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:43 AM

2015 GLA250 4Matic
OK, the dealer took care of the problem by replacing the 2 front axles (half shafts). The Mercedes Bulletin for this issue is: LI33.30-P-061504. Subsequent road testing going through the areas that the noise used to occur has indicated that the problem is solved - no clicking, ticking, whatever - just quiet like it should be. Thank you Plaza West Motors in O'Fallon, MO for sticking with it and getting it fixed!