GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

2021 GLB250 - Distronic Pro retrofit - manufacturers warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLB250
Question 2021 GLB250 - Distronic Pro retrofit - manufacturers warranty?

Hey guys,

My car didn't come with adaptive cruise control when i got the vehicle, and i found this website in the UK (rjautomotive.net/products/distronic-pro-mercedes-adaptive-cruise-control-retrofit) i'm from Canada btw.
The shop owner (Raj) is a great person, sent me the required buttons that need to be changed on the steering wheel and did the coding remotely.
I also added some other codes while he was doing it:
- AMG Cluster Activation/Super Sport Display
- perimeter alarm/parking damage detection
- energizing comfort enable in MBUX
- automatic high beams
- enable heated seat balance
- start/stop remember last setting

Everything works as expected, but the question i have is does doing any of this void the manufacturers warranty at all? All parts replaced are genuine Mercedes parts (all came in original boxes)
Old 08-23-2021, 05:40 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by vtek
Hey guys,

My car didn't come with adaptive cruise control when i got the vehicle, and i found this website in the UK (rjautomotive.net/products/distronic-pro-mercedes-adaptive-cruise-control-retrofit) i'm from Canada btw.
The shop owner (Raj) is a great person, sent me the required buttons that need to be changed on the steering wheel and did the coding remotely.
- automatic high beams

Everything works as expected, but the question i have is does doing any of this void the manufacturers warranty at all? All parts replaced are genuine Mercedes parts (all came in original boxes)
Great find! I always wanted this on my C63s, I would have got it done if I'd seen this. I'll see if he can fit amg drive unit to my 35.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLB200d
Hey guys,

- automatic high beams

No they dont. RJ Automotive is a Genuine Mercedes authorized centre and thats the reason they are able to source those genuine switches so fast. I have got Distronic Installed by Raj with couple of other options like Automatic High Beams, Car Wash Mode etc etc. Although i didnt had too many options to work on since my MBUX is a very basic version but to answer your question, your warranty will not get effected.
By the way..do you get a grinding sound and feel when car brakes and halts itself while in the close proximity of the car in front?
Old 08-24-2021, 12:44 PM

2021 GLB250
Originally Posted by rohanshivi1
No they dont. RJ Automotive is a Genuine Mercedes authorized centre and thats the reason they are able to source those genuine switches so fast. I have got Distronic Installed by Raj with couple of other options like Automatic High Beams, Car Wash Mode etc etc. Although i didnt had too many options to work on since my MBUX is a very basic version but to answer your question, your warranty will not get effected.
By the way..do you get a grinding sound and feel when car brakes and halts itself while in the close proximity of the car in front?
thank you for letting me know about the warranty. The car being brand new I was a little worried about the 4 year warranty being affected.

and to answer your question, yes my car does the exact same thing when it comes to a complete stop by itself. And I also read on another forum someone had the same issue as we do. But no remedy unfortunately.

if you figure something out let me know!
The following users liked this post:
rohanshivi1 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 AMG EQE
Originally Posted by SimMB
Great find! I always wanted this on my C63s, I would have got it done if I'd seen this. I'll see if he can fit amg drive unit to my 35.
I just spoke with Raj today and ordered the Distronic Plus retrofit as well as the AMG Drive unit for my GLB 35. I'll let you know how it goes.
rohanshivi1 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 04:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLB 250
Following...
Old 09-10-2021, 09:57 PM

2023 AMG EQE
I received my parts today to retrofit Distronic Pro and the AMG drive unit on my GLB 35. Everything installed smoothly in about an hour and a half, I’ll follow with more info after my coding appointment tomorrow morning.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLB 250
Originally Posted by Boardwalk35
I received my parts today to retrofit Distronic Pro and the AMG drive unit on my GLB 35. Everything installed smoothly in about an hour and a half, I’ll follow with more info after my coding appointment tomorrow morning.

Waiting for the second part ✌️
Old 09-11-2021, 01:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLB 35
Hey guys,

- automatic high beams

That's great to know! Do you know what enable heated seat balance really does?

Also, if you are in Toronto, it seems like we can rent the OBD from you in theory to offset the cost of it, can't it?

Last edited by Puma111; 09-11-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:36 PM

2023 AMG EQE
Originally Posted by Donoban Vasquez
Waiting for the second part ✌️
I am up and running, super pumped with the adds. RJautomotive was great to work with, I plan on doing some adds on my wife’s CLA35 as well. Distronic Pro is worth every dime.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:41 PM

2021 GLB250
Originally Posted by Puma111
That's great to know! Do you know what enable heated seat balance really does?

Also, if you are in Toronto, it seems like we can rent the OBD from you in theory to offset the cost of it, can't it?
the heated seat balance allows you to change where the seat is heated. You can set more heat on the back and less on the bottom or vice versa

im in Wasaga, so it would probably be better for you to split with someone around your area.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glb250
I’m in Australia and just realised I don’t have this either. Can they do this for any country? How much does it cost?
Old 11-18-2021, 06:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLB200d
Originally Posted by champagne4lulu
I’m in Australia and just realised I don’t have this either. Can they do this for any country? How much does it cost?
Here you go..

https://rjautomotive.net/products/di...ntrol-retrofit
champagne4lulu (11-19-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 11:37 PM

C63S
AMG drive unit is available from MB House for a lot less. They can code and do everything else. I also got HUD and 360 cam. I'm from UK too.
champagne4lulu (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 06:46 AM

C63S
MB House is CAD, so $1495 = £880. I wasn't being unfair when I said I paid a lot less, because I did actually pay, a lot less.

They supplied all genuine parts, including the trim with the cut outs, but I had to return my old trim. Not sure why exactly, but they paid postage on it.

I didnt pay customs charges, but I accept I could have and I have in the past, so luck of the draw I guess. But even with duty, it was way less than £1200.

All parts are genuine, took them a while to get some too, but they did it. 360 cam was difficult due to the chip shortage.

I'm not playing anyone against raj. I'm sure he does a great job and a good service. But we all have a choice, I'm just providing my own xp from an alternative vendor and they did a great job too.

I was actually gong to go with Raj initially but he couldn't get the 360 cam and didn't quote the HUD. MB house just happened to supply all of it. So why use 2 suppliers when you can use one!? Please don't take offence Raj, I would still be happy to buy from you. If it was just the AMG drive unit, I could swallow the extra cost in favour of a local supplier, but the 360 cam was my priority retrofit. The wife needs it!

Last edited by SimMB; 11-19-2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:22 AM

Glb250
Thanks for this!

im not sure exactly what I need - but definitely want the distronic (have cruise control, not sure if that’s standard). I have the innovation package but missed out on the augmented reality, however apparently mine is able to be retrofitted and Mercedes (Australia) are trying to sort that. I also have heads up display.

Mine is a 250glb, with the following
DEX Exclusive Package
DIP Innovation Package
DNP Night Package
DVP Vision Package

what other features can you install? All parts in stock?

thanks heaps!

Originally Posted by rjautomotive
Yes we ship to australia and we can supply you with the adaptive cruise control retrofit.

Currently our price is £500 for this

See here: https://rjautomotive.net/products/di...ntrol-retrofit
Old 11-19-2021, 07:56 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by champagne4lulu
Thanks for this!

im not sure exactly what I need - but definitely want the distronic (have cruise control, not sure if that’s standard). I have the innovation package but missed out on the augmented reality, however apparently mine is able to be retrofitted and Mercedes (Australia) are trying to sort that. I also have heads up display.

Mine is a 250glb, with the following
DEX Exclusive Package
DIP Innovation Package
DNP Night Package
DVP Vision Package

what other features can you install? All parts in stock?

thanks heaps!
Go to the US configurator, they have loads more options. I've got a GLB 35 premium plus, with driving assistance. It's the highest spec they do in the UK. But there are still loads of stuff we can't get. My 63 had HUD and 360 cam and AMG drive unit, so I definitely want those.

Raj, can you get homelink mirror? That's the next thing I'll get along with MBUX assistant.

in the UK we also don't get climate seats, red seat belts, 21" wheels carbon stuff, projector puddle lights, dynamica steering wheel and various trim colours.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:00 AM

C63S
Email sent to me:

Regarding AMG Drive unit.
Attached to this email, you will find a picture of the steering wheel trim. This trim has a different part number for cars that came with AMG Drive Units because it has to small cuts on the left and a right side to allow some space for the wiring of the drive units. We have included the right piece for you in the package and in return we ask you to ship back the one you have installed right now. Once we have your shipping address, we will send you a return label.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

P.S.: Another solution would be to make those cuts using a grinder or a saw but we decided to avoid this method.

Thank you,
MB House Online Store Team

On that basis, no haven't been supplied a cut part.

I'll check on the cams when I get home (I'm still offshore working), however my order was delayed because they were struggling to get the cams from their supplier due to the chip shortage, that was the update I got before they were ready to ship. I don't know why second hand parts would be affected by the chip shortage. Maybe the cams needed new chips... or maybe they were just new cams.

I don't know, but maybe UK parts costs aren't relevant in Canada? Plus I already had the reversing cam and the housing in the front grill, so this was an upgrade kit, as per my VIN.

I don't think it's fair to assume anything.

Last edited by SimMB; 11-19-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:25 PM

C63S
When I get back I'll happily report back what I've received, I had an aftermarket cam on my wife's old M135i, and that worked great, so I'm not averse to them so long as they work.

I know the amg drive unit is mercedes, because they advertise it as such. I don't know why they want my old trim, but they can have it!

I'll email you regarding homelink in NY, like I said. I'm happy to use you guys, business is business, I know you have loads of happy customers. I don't want to take anything away from MB House either, so far they've been great; between the both of you, as customers, we can all manage to get what we want, what you might not currently have, MB House might, so that can only be a good thing.

Those other chaps from comandonline are ok too, but he wouldn't quote for HUD because he prefers to supply the dash. Now I'm all in favour of doing things properly, but some risks are worth taking as far as budget is concerned and there's always the problem of having a spare dash!
rjautomotive (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 02:05 PM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
Just putting my 2 cents here. There might be a ton of reasons for part price difference. It could be related to taxes and tariffs for import items. I saw a post on this forum from a Malaysian guy who was paying $150K US for GLB35, due to that country import taxes.
I believe most of GLB parts are made in Mexico, and US, Mexico and Canada have a trade agreement, and therefore our parts could be cheaper than those in UK and EU. I saw a bunch of new sets of dynamic cruise control multi switches on Ebay for $120 US vs. £600. Most likely not going to get warranty but the price difference is big.
Unfortunately, US has least amount of options when it comes to accessories, upgrades and independent MB shops capable of coding to MBUX, since we are few years behind on these models from other countries. Hopefully it will improve shortly, and may be US will finally have a "Mercedes Store" like in UK, where you can purchase MBUX upgrades.

Last edited by Vladimir Livson; 11-19-2021 at 04:49 PM.
SimMB (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 07:25 PM

Received 158 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
From my GLB 35 invoice:
US/Canadian Parts: 5%
Major sources of foreign parts:
Germany: 44%
Mexico: 40%
Final assembly done in Mexico
Engine: Germany
Transmission: Germany
Port of Entry: Baltimore, MD

Last edited by Serhan; 11-19-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:45 AM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
Just curious. For those who pulled the trigger and activated AMG instrument cluster with Sport+ option on Non AMG models, does Sport+ code activation actually change driving dynamics?
Old Today, 05:43 AM

EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Originally Posted by rohanshivi1
No they dont. RJ Automotive is a Genuine Mercedes authorized centre and thats the reason they are able to source those genuine switches so fast.
Just some clarification here. He is not a Genuine Mercedes authorized centre. On Monday 1st July 2024 I spent an hour with him having Distronic fitted to my 2022 EQB 300 4MATIC Line Premium, and advised him that this statement had been posted. He advises he is not. He is an independant.