GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

Door rattling from base sound system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 GLB 250, 1998 SL500
Thumbs down Door rattling from base sound system

I have a base standard sound system on my 2022 GLB250 and even with the bass at 0, the rear driver door, and front passenger door rattle. When I hold the door grab handle, the rattling fades, but I can still here vibrations from the windows. I would expect noise from an aftermarket sound system but this is a standard sound system and it sounds like loose screws are in the cup holders.
I've removed the door trim and noticed the wire connectors were creating some noise, so I wedged some foam in every single connection, which helped a little but still the rattling persists from within the window solenoid, the window glass, the side mirrors, and the entire grab handle door trim.

We took it to MB and they said it was probably a speaker so they tried replacing it but gave the car back saying it's just the way the car was built...
Really frustrating listening to music when the bass sounds like a soda can of quarters.

Anybody have any ideas what I can do?
Old 03-03-2023, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
“… it's just the way the car was built...“
That’s clearly not true. My base model with standard sound system does not rattle the doors.
Find another dealer, maybe?
The following users liked this post:
Jedy (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 07:51 AM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
Doors in mine do not rattle, as well. Although I keep bass very low (as a preference). Check your door pockets to see if anything laying in there (water bottle, etc.). Sometimes I find myself adjusting hand sanitizer bottle I have in the cupholder that would start rattling. Lower your bass all the way down and see if the rattle goes away, just to make sure it is a speaker issue.

My only complaint with creaks and rattles on this car is with center console. When I rest my knee on it, it creaks.
The following users liked this post:
Jedy (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 05:26 PM

2022 GLB 250, 1998 SL500
Originally Posted by Vladimir Livson
My only complaint with creaks and rattles on this car is with center console. When I rest my knee on it, it creaks.
YES! THIS TOO! Constant squeaking on a long road trip, I can't even get into a comfortable position.

I did remove everything out of the door pockets, even added some padding in the pockets too.
I'm hesistant to try another dealership because the loaner GLB we were given, my wife states, also had rattly doors. We don't want to get rid of the car, but this just isn't up to the MB standards we've been accustomed to with our (now sold) 2015 GLK350
Old 03-20-2023, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLB 250
Angry

Originally Posted by Jedy
YES! THIS TOO! Constant squeaking on a long road trip, I can't even get into a comfortable position.

I did remove everything out of the door pockets, even added some padding in the pockets too.
I'm hesitant to try another dealership because the loaner GLB we were given, my wife states, also had rattly doors. We don't want to get rid of the car, but this just isn't up to the MB standards we've been accustomed to with our (now sold) 2015 GLK350
I have the similar issue with both front doors kind of buzzing at the top corners at freeway speeds.
Very disappointed!!.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:43 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by Vladimir Livson
Doors in mine do not rattle, as well. Although I keep bass very low (as a preference). Check your door pockets to see if anything laying in there (water bottle, etc.). Sometimes I find myself adjusting hand sanitizer bottle I have in the cupholder that would start rattling. Lower your bass all the way down and see if the rattle goes away, just to make sure it is a speaker issue.

No issue on my 2023 GLB.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)

I'm hesistant to try another dealership because the loaner GLB we were given, my wife states, also had rattly doors. We don't want to get rid of the car, but this just isn't up to the MB standards we've been accustomed to with our (now sold) 2015 GLK350
Any chance downsizing tires and getting rid of run-flats helped?
Old 05-03-2023, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLB250W4 X247
How to remove door panel?

[QUOTE=Jedy;8731775]I've removed the door trim and noticed the wire connectors were creating some noise, so I wedged some foam in every single connection, which helped a little but still the rattling persists from within the window solenoid, the window glass, the side mirrors, and the entire grab handle door trim.

Is there a video or tutorial you watched to remove the door trim? I know there are two screws that can be removed but I'm having issues finding the areas where the clips are.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:36 AM

GLB 250
Dashboard Rattling

I don't have any issues with door rattle, however, whether I have the radio on or not, since I've purchased the 2021 GLB 250 I have experienced dashboard rattles. 2 dealers later and nothing resolved. First told it was a loose windshield wiper mechanism and just this week, another dealer stated it was from a flashlight in the glove compartment. Getting frustrated. The noise comes and goes and varies with speed, road conditions, etc. Not always present which makes it difficult. Took a recording of the sound and still no one is able to identify the problem. Anyone else experience the same in the GLB? I saw others post about this with the E class.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 392 Likes on 268 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
It's definitely the way the way the car was built, with very poor quality control. The rattle threads here span all classes of vehicles, from CLA to GLS to G wagon, made both in Alabama and Germany. If you get one that doesn't rattle inside you've hit the lotto. The "energizing comfort" option almost seems like a bad joke. Rattle in my ear is more like the "irritating annoyance" program.

This one issue has ruined the brand for me. Like I'm always saying though, it's a pity because it drives GREAT. It's truly a "magic carpet ride" as one reviewer put it. I just can't keep buying Mercedes until I get lucky and get one built right.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:01 AM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
I do not have any dashboard rattle issues, but I understand how frustrating it could be. Just a suggestion, remove everything from glove box and center console cup holder area, and see if rattle comes back, just to rule out external source. You will be surprised how much rattle could be generated from half empty bottle of water, keys, ID card, unplugged usb cables, etc., sitting in cup holder or a glove box.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLB 250 4 MATIC 2022
I have a base standard sound system on my 2022 GLB250 and even with the bass at 0, the rear driver door, and front passenger door rattle. When I hold the door grab handle, the rattling fades, but I can still here vibrations from the windows. I would expect noise from an aftermarket sound system but this is a standard sound system and it sounds like loose screws are in the cup holders.
I've removed the door trim and noticed the wire connectors were creating some noise, so I wedged some foam in every single connection, which helped a little but still the rattling persists from within the window solenoid, the window glass, the side mirrors, and the entire grab handle door trim.

We took it to MB and they said it was probably a speaker so they tried replacing it but gave the car back saying it's just the way the car was built...
Really frustrating listening to music when the bass sounds like a soda can of quarters.

​​​​​​I Had the same issue with my 2022 GLB and base sound system. Took it back and they replaced the rear speaker..it reduced the rear rattle by 20% but the problem still persists. I think it's the aluminum handle inside the door that's causing that rattle to any sound frequency. I have my base high but the solution MB has is to set base to zero! I laughed and asked them to change my advisor. The new guy replaced the other front speaker as well. But problem still there... Definitely the way car is built!!! GLB is unfortunately a great car but built cheap...

Old 08-10-2023, 12:20 PM

GLB 250
From the first week I took my GLB 250 home, I've had an annoying rattle coming from the dash. I, too, love my car. It rides and handles well. I find the appointments interior to be significant and high-end looking, however, it's 3 years now that I've owned the car, and everyday I consider selling it. I've taken it in to 2 different dealers about this rattle. It's getting to the point of being highly insulting at the response I get from service. The first dealer was happy to report they fixed the rattle - it was the windshield wiper mechanism that was loose. I take it home and the rattle once again reared it's ugly, annoying head. I understand it's very hard to diagnose when the sound is not always present, so this time, I recorded the sound and went to a second dealer. I shared the recording/video, however, said nothing about the former attempt to rectify the rattle just so I would have a comparison when I received this dealer's assessment. We problem solved together, I answered all expected questions. Are you sure nothing is rattling in the glove compartment? Where do you keep your Easy Pass? Despite telling them I removed ALL loose items from car including EVERYTHING in the glove compartment, after having my car for over 2 hours while I waited, they excitedly called me in to let me know they solved my problem. As I sat down, they plopped the flashlight that came with the car on the service desk and said, "here's your issue". I almost died. Am I an idiot? Did they see nothing but a single female that they presumed knows nothing about cars? Did they not hear me tell them, I removed EVERY loose item as a way to diagnose the issue initially? So, I drove off and sure enough the rattle returned. When I received the follow-up text from service asking how the car was running, I was only too happy to share that I was sitting in my car with the sounds of...loose parts giggling across my dash. I was impressed that a senior manager reached out to me after that. I shared that it was sad that I've had to bring my car to 2 separate dealers and by far the most insulting diagnosis was a "flashlight in the glove compartment" and knowing there was no way anyone opened the dash of my car. I joined this forum when I did an internet search of any complaints of the GLB. I came across a post here that did a great job of describing the same issue I was having. The gentleman even included photos of the areas his service dealer found to be the issue. I took snapshots of it all and now only have to make a 3rd appointment and arrange for a loaner to have a 3rd dealer look at it or return to the first where I purchased my car. Either way, a big inconvenience. If I end up selling this car, it will be only because from the sale of it to this ongoing issue, I just don't want anything to do with the MB company.

Last edited by Deniecy; 08-10-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2024, 06:44 PM

GLB 250 4matic
Temporary Solution!

After having the hearing from MB “how the car is built” I found a solution the really reduces the rattle.

First step : Check your door panel screw on each door. Look for the one that is closest to the front of the door (should be under the window control button).

Second step: Press on the door screw with your finger, if this reduces the rattle sound, you are in business.

Third step: Run out and grab some cheap foam earplugs. What you want to do is simulate the pressure you had with your finger and push 2-3 earplugs around the screw. This should dramatically help the rattle sound. Just make sure you can pull them out with tweezers if you ever need to get access to the inside of your door panel.

Hope this works! Good luck!