GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

How reliable are Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Honda CR-V
How reliable are Mercedes?

I know this is a controversial topic and there must be many of those threads exist out there but I will still go ahead and ask.

We have placed our order for GLC and it's at the dealer right now! this is our first european car we are getting. We have been driving Japanese cars for the last 10 years. I have heard many things about mechanical problems with European cars so that's the only thing we are concerned; other than that, GLC looks stunning and we like it.

In general, what kind of problems do you guys have with your Mercedes cars? Are they big issues (e.g., engine problem)?

That brings me to another question, are extended warranty worth it? Does it work like if I'm keeping up all my maintenance then they will cover any problem with the car?

Thank you for any feedback!
Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
I believe they placed second behind Lexus in the JD Power owner satisfaction survey in 2014.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by paktree
I know this is a controversial topic and there must be many of those threads exist out there but I will still go ahead and ask.

We have placed our order for GLC and it's at the dealer right now! this is our first european car we are getting. We have been driving Japanese cars for the last 10 years. I have heard many things about mechanical problems with European cars so that's the only thing we are concerned; other than that, GLC looks stunning and we like it.

In general, what kind of problems do you guys have with your Mercedes cars? Are they big issues (e.g., engine problem)?

That brings me to another question, are extended warranty worth it? Does it work like if I'm keeping up all my maintenance then they will cover any problem with the car?

My Mercedes have always been very reliable. The extended warranty is good, if you plan to keep the car longer than the standard new car warranty.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:06 PM

Here's the consumer reports reliability ratings chart for 2015:
Attached Thumbnails How reliable are Mercedes?-reliability.jpg  
Old 12-23-2015, 03:34 PM

Just for fun (because I'm stuck on a long boring conference call) I started looking a little deeper. Notice that the above ranking only covers certain models (not named). The Mercedes CLA apparently had a lot of reported quality issues and that is likely a model included in the metrics above because it's a top seller for MB and therefore could skew the results.
Besides being model dependent, it can be very model year dependent and recalls heavily influence these ratings. New model years are always the most prone to quality issues.

I don't expect it to be (nor is any car) perfect...it's how the dealer/company responds to the problems that's important to me.

Lexus consistently ranks high in quality but the one Lexus I owned (first year the IS250 was offered) had all kinds of issues including 2 recalls for serious defects. In addition, the power steering went out on the interstate, the entire infotainment system quit working and the GPS was often out of sync. This all in the first three years. However, Lexus and the dealer were always excellent in handling it and as such I would happily buy another one. I would expect no different from MB.

And there's this for 2015:
http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study...by-Make/626ENG
Old 12-23-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)

I am currently on my second MB, a C300 4Matic. The first one had no issues whatsoever. The current one had a mysterious issue with the check engine light and some codes that the shop had troubles with, but they fixed it and all was under warranty - no charge at all to me. I am about to get my third MB, a GLC which I should see for the first time later today or tomorrow and I am BEYOND excited. GLC is a new model so I anticipate there may be some issues but I also expect MB service to take care of anything that comes up. I have only had a MB for three years, so far in my life always wanting the latest and greatest, so I have not considered an extended warranty. If I were buying to keep longer term, I would look into it, but I have never been anything but very satisified with the cars, the dealers, and the service teams.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
My 2 cents FWIW. I've owned M-B since 1967 and found/find them to be extremely reliable. For example, from 2004 to date I've ordered 3 new Benzes -- 2004 C240 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C300, and now GLC -- and I've had ZERO reliability issues during these 11 years. Previous to 2004 I can count the problems on one hand; all but one issue (1998 C-Class premature ball joint wear) were corrected by M-B at no cost, even when out of warranty. The ball joints were replaced by M-B out of warranty at 50% parts cost and free labor.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E63 AMG S SEDAN, 2010 E550 SEDAN
I like them. Except any C class
Old 12-25-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
My impression of Japanese luxury sedans/SUV's - over the past few years - especially with the "new generation" - they are not what they used to be.

Extending the MB new car warranty can be done at time of purchase - or at any time up to the last-day/last-mile of the 4yr/50K new car warranty - and if you sell or trade before the new car warranty expires - that extended warranty is 100% refundable from Mercedes.

So you are aware - "Dealer Cost" for the extended warranty goes up 5% after 30-days from your new Mercedes purchase - so usually most affordable for you to add at time of purchase - and if financing with Mercedes Financial there is a 0% finance program add-on for that warranty portion if the Finance Guy knows his stuff - although most F&I Guys normally present it by adding the extended warranty to your total financed amount.

The new GLC - with the right options/equip you value - is one heck of a great rig !

Keep the beat !
Old 01-01-2016, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC250, X3 30i
Haven't been here for years. Consider me a new user!
I have 2010 since new E Class 2010, has 63000km . Previously I had 2001 C Class 180, 2005 B class 200.
I also have an old 2001 bought old with 245000km on it.
I just traded in my beloved Volvo XC60 D5 which i bought 2009 since new. Done 174000km on the volvo, I was not very happy with a recall issue out of many recalls they made, but my recent problem was a tensioner for the auxiliary belt. Although changed 2 times after 2 breakage, the problem is is still existing with noises typical of impending belt rupture. Volvo dealer tried their best to fix the issue, i am convinced they are unable to find a solution for it.

Sooooo,, I traded in my XC60 for GLC 250 CDI vision pack silver yesterday
as for my mercs: amazing machines. almost nil problems for all the cars I owned.
Mentioning that, I did have a camry from new, and a used verada, had few repair issues with both. Nothing is bullet proof these days, but Mercedes Benz are reliable durable vehicles in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop

The Mercedes Benz is not what it used to be as far as reliability. More problems with the Mercedes than with any other vehicle I have purchased in 50 years. Had I know all the cheap s--t they installed in the 2014 model I bought I would have gone to a different car. Biggest gripe is the Garmen navigation system they started using in 2014 models. The 2nd gripe is the crapy transmission they have in some of the models (mine included) that give you a jerky ride when it shifts into different gears. With only a couple of thousand miles on car the left front suspension had to be replaced due to faulty bearings. On the positive side is the fantastic gas mileage. Very comfortable ride also. The extended warranty is well worth it since they put crap in and you get crap out. The best or nothing?????? And by the way when I received my survey on reliability of the car it was within a month or so. At that time there were only a few minor faults. If they gave me the same survey now the Mercedes Benz would not have been rated the same. It takes about 6 months or more to get to all the flaws the car has. Do not put much reliability in consumer reports on the car. Ask people that own them for a while then you will get an ear full

Last edited by dbldpr; 01-01-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dbldpr
The Mercedes Benz is not what it used to be as far as reliability. More problems with the Mercedes than with any other vehicle I have purchased in 50 years. Had I know all the cheap s--t they installed in the 2014 model I bought I would have gone to a different car. Biggest gripe is the Garmen navigation system they started using in 2014 models. The 2nd gripe is the crapy transmission they have in some of the models (mine included) that give you a jerky ride when it shifts into different gears. With only a couple of thousand miles on car the left front suspension had to be replaced due to faulty bearings. On the positive side is the fantastic gas mileage. Very comfortable ride also. The extended warranty is well worth it since they put crap in and you get crap out. The best or nothing?????? And by the way when I received my survey on reliability of the car it was within a month or so. At that time there were only a few minor faults. If they gave me the same survey now the Mercedes Benz would not have been rated the same. It takes about 6 months or more to get to all the flaws the car has. Do not put much reliability in consumer reports on the car. Ask people that own them for a while then you will get an ear full
It's unfortunate you had a less than excellent experience with your 2014. But I don't think you're experience is representative of Mercedes as a whole. I've never had a bad experience with any Mercedes I've owned. And I've owned a lot of them. Our two 2012 E350 Coupe's we just traded for a C300 Sport and GLC300 never had any issues. None. In the 4 years we drove them, they had their once a year service and that was all they every needed.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
It's unfortunate you had a less than excellent experience with your 2014. But I don't think you're experience is representative of Mercedes as a whole. I've never had a bad experience with any Mercedes I've owned. And I've owned a lot of them. Our two 2012 E350 Coupe's we just traded for a C300 Sport and GLC300 never had any issues. None. In the 4 years we drove them, they had their once a year service and that was all they every needed.
If you had the 2014 you may not have been so lucky. You had cars 2 years before mine and then 2 years after mine. The 2012 and 2013 have no problems with the navigation. They started Garmen in 2014 . I can put my address in the 2012 and 2013 and it works. But not in the 2014. After 2014 year they made improvements in the Garmen. It was the luck of the draw. There are a lot of 2014 owners out there with the same problem I have. It was just a bad year for MB. I just happened to pick the wrong year to buy one. They put cheap s--t in the 2014 year and there is nothing I can do about it. Don't get me wrong. I love the car it just has a lot of problems and MB does not know how to fix them. An example is why does my Navigation stop working correctly one week before daylight savings time and once you set the new time the navigation works fine. This happens each and every spring and in the fall. No one knows how to fix it. Also MB is aware of the transmission problem on some of the cars but has not come up with a solution to fix it. I just happened to get one with the problems. Once warranty is up I do not think I will keep the car. I have driven several 2014 loaners and none of them has the transmission problem.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you had the 2014 you may not have been so lucky. You had cars 2 years before mine and then 2 years after mine. The 2012 and 2013 have no problems with the navigation. They started Garmen in 2014 . I can put my address in the 2012 and 2013 and it works. But not in the 2014. After 2014 year they made improvements in the Garmen. It was the luck of the draw. There are a lot of 2014 owners out there with the same problem I have. It was just a bad year for MB. I just happened to pick the wrong year to buy one. They put cheap s--t in the 2014 year and there is nothing I can do about it. Don't get me wrong. I love the car it just has a lot of problems and MB does not know how to fix them. An example is why does my Navigation stop working correctly one week before daylight savings time and once you set the new time the navigation works fine. This happens each and every spring and in the fall. No one knows how to fix it. Also MB is aware of the transmission problem on some of the cars but has not come up with a solution to fix it. I just happened to get one with the problems. Once warranty is up I do not think I will keep the car. I have driven several 2014 loaners and none of them has the transmission problem.
I have plenty of friends who purchased 2014's and have had great experiences. It seems you may have not gotten a great one, but that doesn't mean everyone else didn't.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have plenty of friends who purchased 2014's and have had great experiences. It seems you may have not gotten a great one, but that doesn't mean everyone else didn't.
I never said all the 2014 were bad I said I happened to get a bad one. People should know that in 2014 MB went to putting cheap things into the cars to save a few pennys. AS far as the navigation system There is not a 2014 navigation system on any of the 2014 models that will take my address. On the 2012 and 2013 models it will take my address but because they switched over to garmen (Cheat S--t.) in 2014 it says I live 20 miles away from where I actually live. The subdivision where I live was built in 1940. So it is not a new subdivision that would not show up. I have contacted MB in January 2014 and at that time they said they were aware of the problem on some of the cars and they are working on a solution to both the navigation and trans problems. They said they would contact me when they have a solution. That was 2 years ago. I have talked to a lot of members on this forum that have the same problem so I am not an isolated incident. I am just a bad luck buyer for MB.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never said all the 2014 were bad I said I happened to get a bad one. People should know that in 2014 MB went to putting cheap things into the cars to save a few pennys. AS far as the navigation system There is not a 2014 navigation system on any of the 2014 models that will take my address. On the 2012 and 2013 models it will take my address but because they switched over to garmen (Cheat S--t.) in 2014 it says I live 20 miles away from where I actually live. The subdivision where I live was built in 1940. So it is not a new subdivision that would not show up. I have contacted MB in January 2014 and at that time they said they were aware of the problem on some of the cars and they are working on a solution to both the navigation and trans problems. They said they would contact me when they have a solution. That was 2 years ago. I have talked to a lot of members on this forum that have the same problem so I am not an isolated incident. I am just a bad luck buyer for MB.
I'm sorry.........Did the Multi-Media package include Garmin, or did you get the Map Pocket with Garmin? I still haven't read where anyone particularly likes the Map Pocket option.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Premium package 1 Command system with navigation. I do not think the map pocket was offered in 2014 models. From what I was told all of the navigation systems in 2014 are garmen. AT first MB denied they switched but after contacting Garmen and they said they are in all the 2014 models I confronted MB and they finally admitted that was true and that that are trying to resolve the issues. I can get my address in the $30 hand held navigation system but not on my $60,000 vehicle. Garbage in garbage out.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350

My wife and I have both had late generation W204s (2014 C250s). After two years and 20k miles each we haven't had any issues. Most reliable and fun to drive car I've ever owned. Looking forward to making the step up to E.

Also previously owned a CLK and had no major issues. My advice: never own a Mercedes outside of warranty unless it's a garage queen. Keep up with recommended service and do research on this forum for your specific model. You'll be alright.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
My wife and I have both had late generation W204s (2014 C250s). After two years and 20k miles each we haven't had any issues. Most reliable and fun to drive car I've ever owned. Looking forward to making the step up to E.

Also previously owned a CLK and had no major issues. My advice: never own a Mercedes outside of warranty unless it's a garage queen. Keep up with recommended service and do research on this forum for your specific model. You'll be alright.
I'm confused. If it is a garage queen you're advising to keep it after warranty?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
So, we're in a bit of predicament. We are in love with the glc and want to get one. This will be our first benz. I've been researching the brand and different models over the past few months and I have scared myself crazy (similar to when you're not feeling well, you google your symptoms and Webmd tells you you're dying so you go to the emergency room and the doctors and nurses tell you you're not dying). Because we've even looked into a sand beige metallic 2009 c300 4matic luxury for $19,991 with 30,828 miles on the odometer. Couldn't find any problems on car complaints, car problem zoo or any negative reviews on car.com, edmunds or kbb. But the forums seems that the c300 2009 model is somewhat plagued with esl/eis problem, tail lamp recall, airbag recall, command knob problem, screen with smoke coming out. And now I come to find out there's transmission failure on the 4matic and it seams as if not the only 4matic with tranny problems. And then I found a nice 07 c230 and evidently those have a balance shaft issue. So I'm wondering, is there a higher rate of premature wear and defects on a lot of models? Are there any models you recommend? Are there any I should avoid? I'm already seeing issues of the new c class with the 2.0 4 cyl engine requiring replacement. The glc has the same engine. Should I expect to see this same issues should we choose to get a glc? I will not got a lexus or an acura or an infiniti. IMO germany makes a real luxury product and I'd like to experience it. If anyone can give me some insight, I'd really appreciate it!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TSchuettinger
So, we're in a bit of predicament. We are in love with the glc and want to get one. This will be our first benz. I've been researching the brand and different models over the past few months and I have scared myself crazy (similar to when you're not feeling well, you google your symptoms and Webmd tells you you're dying so you go to the emergency room and the doctors and nurses tell you you're not dying). Because we've even looked into a sand beige metallic 2009 c300 4matic luxury for $19,991 with 30,828 miles on the odometer. Couldn't find any problems on car complaints, car problem zoo or any negative reviews on car.com, edmunds or kbb. But the forums seems that the c300 2009 model is somewhat plagued with esl/eis problem, tail lamp recall, airbag recall, command knob problem, screen with smoke coming out. And now I come to find out there's transmission failure on the 4matic and it seams as if not the only 4matic with tranny problems. And then I found a nice 07 c230 and evidently those have a balance shaft issue. So I'm wondering, is there a higher rate of premature wear and defects on a lot of models? Are there any models you recommend? Are there any I should avoid? I'm already seeing issues of the new c class with the 2.0 4 cyl engine requiring replacement. The glc has the same engine. Should I expect to see this same issues should we choose to get a glc? I will not got a lexus or an acura or an infiniti. IMO germany makes a real luxury product and I'd like to experience it. If anyone can give me some insight, I'd really appreciate it!
When you visit a car forum, most of the posters have an issue. The vast majority of owners however, are out driving their cars without issue. Coming here is like going to a hospital and then believing everyone on the planet is sick.

I don't know where you've gotten the idea most C300 4 cyl engines are being replaced? That's not true at all. There were some made prior to April 2015 that have had an issue, but it's fixable and doesn't require the engine to be replaced.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:53 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
When you visit a car forum, most of the posters have an issue. The vast majority of owners however, are out driving their cars without issue. Coming here is like going to a hospital and then believing everyone on the planet is sick.

I don't know where you've gotten the idea most C300 4 cyl engines are being replaced? That's not true at all. There were some made prior to April 2015 that have had an issue, but it's fixable and doesn't require the engine to be replaced.
Whew thank you for the reply. I think that when we get our glc, we'll enjoy it. Everyone seems to so far.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whew thank you for the reply. I think that when we get our glc, we'll enjoy it. Everyone seems to so far.
You will love the GLC.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:36 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
You will love the GLC.
Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one in the 44-46k range. They just fly off the lot at the one mb dealer that's in my area. I'm thinking that dark blue metalic or the iridium with an all black interior with wood burl or that other brown gloss wood (I forget what they call it.)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one in the 44-46k range. They just fly off the lot at the one mb dealer that's in my area. I'm thinking that dark blue metalic or the iridium with an all black interior with wood burl or that other brown gloss wood (I forget what they call it.)
The brown gloss wood is called Linden.

You could always order one with the exact color and options you want.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How reliable are Mercedes?