GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Air Suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Air Suspension?

Has anybody driven a GLC with and without the air suspension?

I haven't seen any reviews that compare them and by most accounts the non-air suspension is pretty damn good and several "professional" reviews even flat out recommend skipping the extra expense. Not sure how they can recommend that without really trying both but I guess they are going by the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

My local dealers barely have any GLC stock much less one with the air suspension (I think I read elsewhere production of these were initially delayed) so I'm probably not going to get to compare them before my order is filled. I've never had a car with that feature before so I have nothing to draw from by experience.

My GLC order does include air suspension at the moment but it'll be weeks before it's too far into the process to change so looking for input anyone has.

BTW - this is my build...MSRP $64K with transportation charge
  • Selenite Grey Metallic
  • 19-inch AMG twin 5-spoke (Black)
  • Night Package (Includes Sport Package)
  • Lighting Package
  • Panorama roof
  • designo Platinum White/Black Exclusive Nappa leather
  • Trim: Natural Grain Black Ash Wood
  • Interior Package
  • Storage Package
  • Topstitched MB-Tex upper dash trim
  • Premium Package
  • Multimedia Package
  • Head-Up Display
  • Burmester Premium Surround Sound System
  • Advanced Parking Assist Package
  • Driver Assistance Package
  • AIR BODY CONTROL
Old 12-29-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by JEVA
Has anybody driven a GLC with and without the air suspension?

I haven't seen any reviews that compare them and by most accounts the non-air suspension is pretty damn good and several "professional" reviews even flat out recommend skipping the extra expense. Not sure how they can recommend that without really trying both but I guess they are going by the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

My local dealers barely have any GLC stock much less one with the air suspension (I think I read elsewhere production of these were initially delayed) so I'm probably not going to get to compare them before my order is filled. I've never had a car with that feature before so I have nothing to draw from by experience.

My GLC order does include air suspension at the moment but it'll be weeks before it's too far into the process to change so looking for input anyone has.

BTW - this is my build...MSRP $64K with transportation charge
  • Selenite Grey Metallic
  • 19-inch AMG twin 5-spoke (Black)
  • Night Package (Includes Sport Package)
  • Lighting Package
  • Panorama roof
  • designo Platinum White/Black Exclusive Nappa leather
  • Trim: Natural Grain Black Ash Wood
  • Interior Package
  • Storage Package
  • Topstitched MB-Tex upper dash trim
  • Premium Package
  • Multimedia Package
  • Head-Up Display
  • Burmester Premium Surround Sound System
  • Advanced Parking Assist Package
  • Driver Assistance Package
  • AIR BODY CONTROL
Looking at your build, it's easier to ask what's not included as it seems to ticked all the the boxes
Old 12-29-2015, 03:36 PM

Pretty much..skipped the air fragrance, lighted front emblem, heated rear seats, 14-way passenger seat, sun shades, chrome door handle and running boards. The latter only because the wife vetoed it. I also did not want 20" wheels.
Couldn't get the heated steering wheel or tow package because of other options that precluded them.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by JEVA
Pretty much..skipped the air fragrance, lighted front emblem, heated rear seats, 14-way passenger seat, sun shades, chrome door handle and running boards. The latter only because the wife vetoed it. I also did not want 20" wheels.
Couldn't get the heated steering wheel or tow package because of other options that precluded them.
Your GLC as optioned will be an amazing car. Well done!!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Your GLC as optioned will be an amazing car. Well done!!
I like your choices. Your vehicle will be fantastic. I would stay away from the air suspension. The ride will be great but reliability could be an issue. I had horrible luck with my GL. The warranty and extended warranty paid for itself due to the suspension. I have friends who have have had the same issues. I replaced multiple air struts more than once in 71,000 miles.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E43 AMG
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I like your choices. Your vehicle will be fantastic. I would stay away from the air suspension. The ride will be great but reliability could be an issue. I had horrible luck with my GL. The warranty and extended warranty paid for itself due to the suspension. I have friends who have have had the same issues. I replaced multiple air struts more than once in 71,000 miles.
I had the same kind of luck with my GL. Luckily I got the extended warrantee which covered two front strut changes and one rear.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:15 PM

Thanks. Are there different types of air suspension? I notice the GLC lists it as active body control whereas most other models call it Airmatic suspension.

*edit* it seems there is a difference and it sounds like the Airmatic has been problematic and the ABC is less so but potentially more pricey to repair. I'll be leasing 3 years so I should always be covered by warranty and the dealer is a few miles from my house so having warranty work done is not too much of a hassle for me.
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-airmatic.html

Last edited by JEVA; 12-29-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4MATIC (previously 2004 CLK CAB)
I ordered air suspension for my GLC which arrives next month. I did drive a car without the air suspension and it was okay but I think the ride will be better with the air suspension.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well - you missed the heated washer system which not only for winter - but heated washer fluid really/really helps cleaning summer bug/goo.

I also and suggest you re-review and get the passenger power front seat - with Designo, heated/ventilate fronts - not to have power on the passenger side - your salesman should be shot - unless you are building this GLC at home like playing with Legos.

Please note for the GLC Air-Balance has nothing to do with fragrance - in the GLC it adds a 2nd charcoal cabin air filter between the standard cabin filter and the cabin - and then adds a ionizer between filter #2 and the cabin - for those with allergies/sensitivity - or sensitive urban smog - or for those who have a partner that has chronic intestinal gas - a nice thing to have - no fragrance bottle in the glove box like S-Class - shoot the salesman a 2nd time.

"Airmatic" on the GLC links into the Dynamic Select - meaning as you change "profiles" - so in addition to tranny/steering-ratio/engine management "changing" - your suspension handling/feel will change in profile as well - so pretty trick really - if your dealer has a GLE450 coupe - or C450 with Airmatic - you can get a "feel" for it - although the GLC is a different animal - would give you a feel - shoot the salesman a 3rd time - then bury him.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 BMW 230ix convertible, 2018 GLC300
Just add all weather mats and carpeted cargo mat and you are set. Best of luck with your new ride.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:45 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
We also ordered the Air Suspension and the GLC should arrive in the next two weeks. That is one reason we chose the GLC, as we really like the Air Suspension.

We are on our third GL350 and have never had a problem with the Air Suspensions. Maybe we were lucky?

Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Old 12-30-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well - you missed the heated washer system which not only for winter - but heated washer fluid really/really helps cleaning summer bug/goo.

I also and suggest you re-review and get the passenger power front seat - with Designo, heated/ventilate fronts - not to have power on the passenger side - your salesman should be shot - unless you are building this GLC at home like playing with Legos.

Please note for the GLC Air-Balance has nothing to do with fragrance - in the GLC it adds a 2nd charcoal cabin air filter between the standard cabin filter and the cabin - and then adds a ionizer between filter #2 and the cabin - for those with allergies/sensitivity - or sensitive urban smog - or for those who have a partner that has chronic intestinal gas - a nice thing to have - no fragrance bottle in the glove box like S-Class - shoot the salesman a 2nd time.

"Airmatic" on the GLC links into the Dynamic Select - meaning as you change "profiles" - so in addition to tranny/steering-ratio/engine management "changing" - your suspension handling/feel will change in profile as well - so pretty trick really - if your dealer has a GLE450 coupe - or C450 with Airmatic - you can get a "feel" for it - although the GLC is a different animal - would give you a feel - shoot the salesman a 3rd time - then bury him.
I don't see a heated washer system option for the GLC?

I don't carry passengers very often - is the passenger seat an old school manual adjust by default or power adjust with less adjustability (my assumption)? If the former, I see your point and will add it. If the latter..meh. 90% of the time the passenger will be my wife and would care about having the uber adjustable seat. It's a lease so maximizing resale is not high on my priority list.

I know about the filter part but that option does come with a fragrance component according to the configuration tool on the website so you either have better information or you need to be shot . Neither my wife nor I have allergies so don't have a need for it. I specifically told the sales guy I was not interested in that feature so he's off the hook.

See my edit above...again according to the website the GLC does not have "airmatic" but Active Body Control so driving an airmatic equipped car won't help me much as they work differently. I didn't ask the salesman about it so no reason to shoot him for that, nor for the other things for that matter.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
In the US, the GLC comes with an electrically adjustable front passenger seat. The $430 option adds a couple more adjustment options and memory settings.