GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC niggles, complaints and advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by JEVA
My driver side wiper seems to drag a bit more in spots making it stutter a bit but doesn't make any noise and does a nice job wiping the water off. I'm more worried that it's stressing the wiper motor to cause eventual premature failure though I'm leasing and warranty would cover it for the entire time I will own it.
+1, I'm hoping as it is used often with all the rain here, it will soften a bit. Not bad enough to cause any concerns or to bring back to the dealer. Both our GLCs do it in the same areas.

Last edited by MB190; 05-10-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
After having the car for awhile (it's been said several times but worth repeating) - I really with the dynamic drive mode (comfort, sport, etc) would either stay in the mode you put it after restart or another default mode could be set. It's just annoying to have to change the mode every time I start the car. All are Mercedes this way?

Also, I wish there was a track list view that was persistent (I'm playing music off an SD card). The only way I can see the track listing for what is playing is to click the wheel down, choose "show current track list" (or something like that) and then it shows. Once you skip to another song it goes away.

The HUD is barely visible when wearing polarized sunglasses.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4matic
I got two more. The brake hold feature should just be always on or off. Switchable through settings. The trade off is no car creep but usually that is not need.

Not sure what goes through the designer's minds there. They want to be non intrusive and give more options but sometimes that itself make it worse.

If MB designers are reading this.. make the software update! A lot of things can be fixed with a simple software update and a couple lines of code.

Also I could understand why the dynamic mode in sport or sport+ goes back to comfort on each mode (save gas etc) but why if you have it in economy mode does it need to go back to comfort..
Old 05-11-2016, 11:19 AM

GLC 300
has anyone noticed the back end kind of loses a little bit of control/grip when the back wheels hit a bump while cornering? I've felt this multiple times while driving on the highway and although its very easy to bring the car back under control it is still slightly unsettling.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 GLC 300
You might want to check the pressure in your tires. The dealer usually overinflates them and that can cause that situation. Plus, they are run flat tires which have hard sidewalls so not much give when you hit a bump.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
After having the car for awhile (it's been said several times but worth repeating) - I really with the dynamic drive mode (comfort, sport, etc) would either stay in the mode you put it after restart or another default mode could be set. It's just annoying to have to change the mode every time I start the car. All are Mercedes this way?

Also, I wish there was a track list view that was persistent (I'm playing music off an SD card). The only way I can see the track listing for what is playing is to click the wheel down, choose "show current track list" (or something like that) and then it shows. Once you skip to another song it goes away.

The HUD is barely visible when wearing polarized sunglasses.
I agree on the 'Dynamic Drive Mode' settings. But this is not just Mercedes...I have seen this in Lexus vehicles too, and other vehicles that had drive modes where 'Eco' is an option. It always seems to default to Eco. I would love to just turn that OFF permanently!
Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 PM

On BMW's if you turn it off, it stays off...pretty sure VW as well.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Re Jasons comment re tyre control & grip. We have noticed skip with rear end on curved road and camber, travelling ok, the it seems to let go and then settle down again, usually on sweeping left bend from memory. Also turning right at a tight round a bout, in the wet we get a shudder or shimmer from left wheels, not sure if front or rear tyre. Could be 4 Matic cutting in, or ABS type correction, bit disturbing. Checked tyre pressures, all ok.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:40 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by Teckno
Re Jasons comment re tyre control & grip. We have noticed skip with rear end on curved road and camber, travelling ok, the it seems to let go and then settle down again, usually on sweeping left bend from memory. Also turning right at a tight round a bout, in the wet we get a shudder or shimmer from left wheels, not sure if front or rear tyre. Could be 4 Matic cutting in, or ABS type correction, bit disturbing. Checked tyre pressures, all ok.
Just as you said i usually notice it on the left side aswell. However it's hard to recreate this problem so I'm hesitant to bring it into the dealer.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hopefully it's not the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres ?
Some interesting negative tyre reviews in UK re this model tyre, however, they were not commenting on the MOE run flat variants, so may have different characteristics. Issues seem to relate to rubber breakdown and eco friendly design issues.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 AM

I wish the dash would show the odometer and/or trip odometer all the time rather than having to cycle to it on the display. Seems weird to not have at least the odometer showing. I tend to leave the instrument cluster set to radio/media so I can change songs/stations with the buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
I wish the dash would show the odometer and/or trip odometer all the time rather than having to cycle to it on the display. Seems weird to not have at least the odometer showing. I tend to leave the instrument cluster set to radio/media so I can change songs/stations with the buttons on the steering wheel.
+1, was just looking at the dash this morning and saying the same thing to my daughter!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+2
Old 05-12-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2011 ML350
I wish I could have navigation on the main screen and still be able to change radio stations (I know, I could have this on the gauge cluster screen, but I like having the digital speedo as the main speedo is hard to read). I miss the old COMAND where you had actual physical buttons for the radio presets.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You can get with it - 2017's start production in Germany in June for target release to the US in August...

You can hop on it now with your dealer - they have dealer order guide - and can work up your spec as custom build - or if something is already booked in pipeline already - they can grab that for you..
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by schroedinger
I wish I could have navigation on the main screen and still be able to change radio stations (I know, I could have this on the gauge cluster screen, but I like having the digital speedo as the main speedo is hard to read). I miss the old COMAND where you had actual physical buttons for the radio presets.
If you touch the center "button" on the touchpad, it temporarily overlays a window on the nav screen showing the current station, and you can swipe left or right to change stations.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgkli:
Move'n (02-21-2017), schroedinger (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re Jasons comment re tyres earlier. This link may partly explain.
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...-crabbing.html
Good luck.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM

One thing that bothers me is I have the night package so there's very little chrome/bare metal on the exterior but inside the grill by the radiator etc, there are metal pieces that I can see when looking at the car from the front and it always looks out of place like it's a leaf that got in there or something. They really should darken those pieces as well. Maybe I'll take a black marker to them so I don't have to see them anymore Sorry, i don't have a pic off-hand to show.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
One thing that bothers me is I have the night package so there's very little chrome/bare metal on the exterior but inside the grill by the radiator etc, there are metal pieces that I can see when looking at the car from the front and it always looks out of place like it's a leaf that got in there or something. They really should darken those pieces as well. Maybe I'll take a black marker to them so I don't have to see them anymore Sorry, i don't have a pic off-hand to show.
I know exactly what you mean... even without the night package they stick out like a sore thumb!!
Old 06-16-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 220d Sport
How do I switch the radio off?

Apologies if the answer has been posted before but I only sped-read through the previous 12 pages of our First World problems.

So as a Mercedes virgin, I picked up 'Red Ken' on Monday and, during an extensive orientation, the sales guy demonstrated the radio. Four days later I still haven't figured out how to switch the darn thing off! Both the printed and online manuals are great for instructing you how to switch the radio on but not off.

So far I have had to resort to just turning the volume down or muting it via either the centre console or steering wheel and the only sure-fire way to silence the thing is to put the whole COMAND system into Standby. I realise there is independent volume control for each of the modes but surely I can choose to simply just switch the radio, and only the radio, off altogether.

Given that nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool, could somebody please just tell me how I switch the radio off because I have now convinced myself it can't be done!
Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
[QUOTE=Toobad;6834481]Apologies if the answer has been posted before but I only sped-read through the previous 12 pages of our First World problems.

So as a Mercedes virgin, I picked up 'Red Ken' on Monday and, during an extensive orientation, the sales guy demonstrated the radio. Four days later I still haven't figured out how to switch the darn thing off! Both the printed and online manuals are great for instructing you how to switch the radio on but not off......

So, it is a bit counter intuitive. But, yes. Pressing the mute button on the steering wheel effectively turns off the radio/media player/CD/etc... Or you can turn off the entire LCD and it's operations by pressing the on/off button on the center shift console.

The steering wheel button is the proper method. It will also, BTW, pause your media player/CD player until you activate the system again.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 220d Sport
Thank you for the fast response, cyber3d. Now I know Mute means Off and Pause, I can stop looking for something that isn't there.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Toobad
Apologies if the answer has been posted before but I only sped-read through the previous 12 pages of our First World problems.

So as a Mercedes virgin, I picked up 'Red Ken' on Monday and, during an extensive orientation, the sales guy demonstrated the radio. Four days later I still haven't figured out how to switch the darn thing off! Both the printed and online manuals are great for instructing you how to switch the radio on but not off.

So far I have had to resort to just turning the volume down or muting it via either the centre console or steering wheel and the only sure-fire way to silence the thing is to put the whole COMAND system into Standby. I realise there is independent volume control for each of the modes but surely I can choose to simply just switch the radio, and only the radio, off altogether.

Given that nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool, could somebody please just tell me how I switch the radio off because I have now convinced myself it can't be done!
Here is the button to switch the radio off/on

GLC niggles, complaints and advice-photo805.jpg

Last edited by tron786; 06-19-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:17 AM

VW's are similar in that if you shut off the radio, you shut off the whole infotainment system including nav which is a horrible design. They don't (at least as of a few model years ago) have a mute/pause button either which makes it worse.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2011 ML350
Used to be shutting off the radio also disabled the backup camera. Don't know if that's still the case or not. When I'm talking to someone in the car, I just mute it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC niggles, complaints and advice