GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC niggles, complaints and advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Set the Command to Media to either SD card or one of the USB that is empty, this allows you to use NAVI without the radio on.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 220d Sport
Excellent solution! Now that's what I call thinking outside the box. Thank you.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL450, 2016 GLC300, 2016 SL550
Cannot get the trunk to close via the remote. Any help? Thanks
Old 06-30-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Mac4
Cannot get the trunk to close via the remote. Any help? Thanks
Had the same problem.
I think it only works if you have the keyless go package. Do you?
I'm hoping it's a secret setting I'm unaware of
Old 06-30-2016, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Shorter range on tailgate using remote - a Federal thing - about 10'
Old 07-03-2016, 10:04 AM

2014 GL450, 2016 GLC300, 2016 SL550
I do have keyless go.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 PM

GLC300
I've had my GLC for three months now. Here are my niggles and complaints:
• The navigation system has sent me on wild goose chases. It also shows gas stations were there are none and never have been and it doesn't show some that have been around a long time... major brands.
•The gas inlet or the shape of the pipe causes gas pumps that have vapor capture systems, by law in California, to shut off. I can't fill up the tank. When the pump shuts off I don't know if the tank is full or not.
•A tiny glove box for big vehicle. Fairly useless really.
•No good place to keep change.
•There should be a notch in the center storage compartment for a charging cord so you can charge your phone and still have it out. I use the navigation on my phone instead my GLC (see above). The phone nav uses a lot of power so I keep it plugged in while using it.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Move'n
•No good place to keep change.
•There should be a notch in the center storage compartment for a charging cord so you can charge your phone and still have it out. I use the navigation on my phone instead my GLC (see above). The phone nav uses a lot of power so I keep it plugged in while using it.
The ashtray can be removed, which may give you a little bit more space.

My charging cable can just travel through a small hole at the end of gap of the center storage compartment cap. It isn't ideal though and I have to close the compartment carefully.

Btw, LOL on the wild goose chases

Last edited by ay55; 02-22-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
My biggest complaint is when it's time to fill up the gas tank. Takes me 10 minutes clicking always off and I have no idea when it's full until it starts spilling out. Horrible, ridiculous design. I've tried other gas stations in So Cal same thing. I like to stick with Chevron but this is annoying and sometimes I don't want to drive the car because of this issue and just drive my Toyota FJ. My parents E350 have no problem.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
The thread relating to the storage container for center armrest may help those looking for more space and ability to charge phones conveniently.
Great bit of kit.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
Regarding wiper park position for extreme cold weather, to prevent the blades from freezing to the windshield, this is from the owner's manual:

Adjusting the wiper blades so that they
are vertical

On vehicles without KEYLESS-GO or KEYLESS‑GO
start function:
X Turn the SmartKey to position 1 or 2 in the
ignition lock (Y page 132).
X Set the windshield wipers to the°position
on the combination switch.
X When the wiper arms are vertical to the hood,
turn the SmartKey to position u in the ignition
lock and remove SmartKey.
X Fold the wiper arm away from the windshield.

On vehicles with KEYLESS-GO or KEYLESS‑GO
start function:
X Switch off the engine.
X Remove your foot from the brake pedal.
X Set the windshield wiper to the°position
X Press the Start/Stop button repeatedly until
the windshield wiper starts.
press the Start/Stop button.
X Fold the wiper arm away from the windshield
Old 02-24-2017, 05:31 PM

MB GLC 300 4Matic
Question

Originally Posted by internizzi
On #3 (door ajar warning), I just experienced it this morning when driving off from my driveway. The GLC (in the Multifunction display screen) actually shows which door is not completely shut. In my case it was the left rear door because my daughter didn't slam it hard enough.

Do you have MultiMedia package? Not sure if this was the cause.

I do not get any audible or visual display that door is ajar. Car remains in Park and there is some innocuous message in the display. Likely silly question, but how do I know if I have MultiMedia pkg? I have Premium Package, but not sure of the MM pkg. Not really a safety issue as the car remains in Park, but certainly an annoyance. Any fix?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
We in Oz have Command Pack. No warnings re door, except for binning sound and car not moving, no indication of which door, very frustrating.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by BobbyT
Regarding wiper park position for extreme cold weather, to prevent the blades from freezing to the windshield, this is from the owner's manual:

Adjusting the wiper blades so that they
are vertical

On vehicles without KEYLESS-GO or KEYLESS‑GO
start function:
X Turn the SmartKey to position 1 or 2 in the
ignition lock (Y page 132).
X Set the windshield wipers to the°position
turn the SmartKey to position u in the ignition
lock and remove SmartKey.
X Fold the wiper arm away from the windshield.

On vehicles with KEYLESS-GO or KEYLESS‑GO
start function:
X Switch off the engine.
X Remove your foot from the brake pedal.
X Set the windshield wiper to the°position
X Press the Start/Stop button repeatedly until
the windshield wiper starts.
press the Start/Stop button.
X Fold the wiper arm away from the windshield
Mine has a heated windscreen strip where the blades rest, no need to do things like that. They defrost well before the windscreen.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 250d
Originally Posted by Teckno
We in Oz have Command Pack. No warnings re door, except for binning sound and car not moving, no indication of which door, very frustrating.
It does show on the 360 degree cam.
The following users liked this post:
Teckno (02-26-2017)
Old 04-05-2018, 11:38 AM

2018 GLC 300 W / 2011 E350W, Luxury, P01, leather steering wheel
Originally Posted by Mickfx
Hello everyone! First post. I have a GLC on order.

Regarding excessive wind noise at highway speed, I see that the "C" is having this problem. There's a thread in the C forum discussing this. Apparently MB is aware of the problem and has asked dealers to go through a checklist culminating, if necessary, in replacing the driver window with acoustic glass. Results seem to be mixed. It doesn't appear to be every vehicle but I have to admit I'm concerned that the GLC is having the same issue. One of the main reasons I'm buying the GLC is for quiet at highway speeds when my wife and I travel. Rbrylaw, since you own both the C and GLC, could you comment on your experience with this issue?
I own 2011 E350 and just got 2018 GLC300W few days ago. On the way home after pick up brand new car with 55 miles on it, I noticed that there was excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window....AT first I thought the window wasn't closed shut. But it wasn't...Next day, I let my wife drive the vehicle and checked passenger side wind noise and confirmed there was too...
I called MBUSA after reading many threads about wind noise complains and asked them whether they recognized it or not and of course they denied to know that issue. I bet MB knows this issue but not 100% of their GLCs so they are pretending know nothing regarding. If you have any issues, you need to notify to MBUSA then dealership so the manufacture(MB) record those complains and then fix the issues before they deliver the cars to dealers to void their headache. Very disappointed design or craftsmanship whatever but I will take my car to the dealer today. Can I claim this as Lenom law violation in California if they can not fix this issue with 3 attempts?

Last edited by will4iron; 04-05-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Originally Posted by GLCer
When I brought it up with the dealership, our service manager informed that the door ajar warning comes on only after 5mph. I tested it out on our GLC and can confirm that this is the case. When you pass 5mph, a red warning displays which door is open.

The other thing is that the inside door handle on the GLC is very "light" and can be easily nudged open. At the rear, if you have child seats or boosters, children can easily reach the handle. I asked if they could increase the spring tension but was told there is no fix at the moment. Normally my experience on other cars is that handles are put higher up in the door, or at least have higher initial resistance to avoid accidental opening. This looks like a design / safety oversight with MB. I have already reported this to MB corporate customer service and may raise it up with NHTSA to get MB to provide a fix.
+1
feels so wimpy.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
I've owned Lexus, Infinii and Acura. My dad told me to stick to Japanese -- quality, no hassle. This time I went against his advice and special-ordered my 2017 GLC. She's a beaut, named her Sheba; I love her. Having owned her for about 10 months, my niggles are:

--Hate the infotainment system. Small things which can easily be programmed. One example, phone speed-dial. Yes, you can program them into the 10 spots, but it would be nice when you scroll through each number the system displays the name of that speed dial. It's easy to remember who #0, #1, #2 are, but the rest you have to press it and hope you remembered correctly or hang-up quickly (imagine having two common drivers and two phones, so you both have to remember correctly as there is only one set of speed dials). Simple fix: Display who's phone number is saved in each digit! Another thing, sometimes it will not let me adjust the volume, I have to reset everything. Really wish I could have Apple CarPlay (experienced this on ford/chevy rental cars, and wow ... what a way to make life easier!!)

--Noises. Random noises. Wind noise, clicking noises, break squeals, rattling. Some stay, some go. My car is empty, no cargo, there's literally nothing in it; it's the car. Whistling from the sunroof started last weekend. That will have to be looked at if it continues. Never in my prior cars have I had such a collection of noises -- I must admit Japanese lux vehicles have much better fit and finish, silence it seems.

--Remote start app is worthless. I've commented on this before, but why not integrate seat heating activation, defrost activation, temperature adjustment into the app? Or blast the AC! That would be luxury -- the BEST or NOTHING! And why does the car have to turn off when you unlock it with your own key?? (then it says, "Car turned off because a door was opened!" -- yeah I need to get in and drive off, didn't you recognize your own key?) Seems half-*** designed.

--One thing I really hate: On a hot day, my Lexus/Acura, I could roll down the windows from quite a distance ... the same distance you can unlock/lock your doors. So if you're inside your house, or work, you could easily ventilate the car ahead of time. With the MB, I can unlock/lock from a decent distance, however I have to be within a few feet for the window remote function to work -- which negates the point of cooling it off well ahead of time. Has anyone else observed this?

--sorry if this is TMI, but one day I was a little sick. I'm a dude... i had to hock a loogie,.. maybe you've been there. At a red light, I was near stopped, opened the door to spit, BAM, the car threw itself into Park, freaked me out. Another time I was parking, and I wanted to park super close to the curb to protect Sheba from a door ding, I cracked the door open, checking my distance from the curb -- again (going super super slow), the car jerked itself in park. Don't nanny me. I'm a gown man; I don't need you to throw the car in park for me.

--I hate the auto-start/stop function. When I program my individual settings, I have it turned off. A) why can I not set the car to always be be in I* mode? Or Why can't I manually turn off the auto-stop on comfort mode? I hate having to manually turn it off every time I get in. Again, don't nanny me. I can make my own decisions of how I want to drive my car.

--Minor, but again annoying -- I purchased the official OEM roof rails. No one told me, but you cannot open the sunroof if the roof rack is installed (even with nothing on the rack)! WHY? Now I have to return them and buy Thule roof-rails (which you can open with on).

--Minor again: The center console is beautiful with the cup-holder door closed. But other than the cup older section, there is no good place to store phone, wallet, smart key. Easy design change: I don't need three cup holders in the door, plus two in the center console, so why not make one small section in the door area dedicated for phone/wallet/key (and it would make it super accessible).

I love a lot of things things about the car vs. what annoys me, but I'm just surprised the items which do annoy me seem to be such easy fixes....

This is my first Benz ... I love it. I'm happy with it, no regrets. BUT I must admit for my next car I think I'll definitely try out BMW or Volvo; this car has not turned me into a "for life" MB customer.

Cheers!

Last edited by CasemLuke; 04-05-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
I've noticed and commented on the issue of the car slamming on the park brake when the doors are opened (I got caught when a passenger opened the door before I came to a complete stop).

Recently I've noticed that this no longer happens.

I did nothing to change it so I assume the dealer has updated /changed something! !
Old 04-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by will4iron
I own 2011 E350 and just got 2018 GLC300W few days ago. On the way home after pick up brand new car with 55 miles on it, I noticed that there was excessive wind noise coming from driver's side window....AT first I thought the window wasn't closed shut. But it wasn't...Next day, I let my wife drive the vehicle and checked passenger side wind noise and confirmed there was too...
I called MBUSA after reading many threads about wind noise complains and asked them whether they recognized it or not and of course they denied to know that issue. I bet MB knows this issue but not 100% of their GLCs so they are pretending know nothing regarding. If you have any issues, you need to notify to MBUSA then dealership so the manufacture(MB) record those complains and then fix the issues before they deliver the cars to dealers to void their headache. Very disappointed design or craftsmanship whatever but I will take my car to the dealer today. Can I claim this as Lenom law violation in California if they can not fix this issue with 3 attempts?
There's a bulletin somewhere on the board here regarding this and if you take it to your dealer, they might swap out the front two windows with Acoustic glass...like the windshield. Do a search to find, have with you on next dealer visit, and complain about the side window road noise. Good luck and post back if it works out for you.
The following users liked this post:
will4iron (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 PM

2018 GLC 300 W / 2011 E350W, Luxury, P01, leather steering wheel
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
There's a bulletin somewhere on the board here regarding this and if you take it to your dealer, they might swap out the front two windows with Acoustic glass...like the windshield. Do a search to find, have with you on next dealer visit, and complain about the side window road noise. Good luck and post back if it works out for you.
I pointed out this issue to the dealer and they are willing to swap front windows to Acoustic glass free of charge. I am not sure whether this swap eliminates wind noise or not. literally I can return this vehicle to dealer and cancel the purchase order since I owned this vehicle for only 3 days.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by CasemLuke
I've owned Lexus, Infinii and Acura. My dad told me to stick to Japanese -- quality, no hassle. This time I went against his advice and special-ordered my 2017 GLC. She's a beaut, named her Sheba; I love her. Having owned her for about 10 months, my niggles are:

--Hate the infotainment system. Small things which can easily be programmed. One example, phone speed-dial. Yes, you can program them into the 10 spots, but it would be nice when you scroll through each number the system displays the name of that speed dial. It's easy to remember who #0, #1, #2 are, but the rest you have to press it and hope you remembered correctly or hang-up quickly (imagine having two common drivers and two phones, so you both have to remember correctly as there is only one set of speed dials). Simple fix: Display who's phone number is saved in each digit! Another thing, sometimes it will not let me adjust the volume, I have to reset everything. Really wish I could have Apple CarPlay (experienced this on ford/chevy rental cars, and wow ... what a way to make life easier!!)

--Noises. Random noises. Wind noise, clicking noises, break squeals, rattling. Some stay, some go. My car is empty, no cargo, there's literally nothing in it; it's the car. Whistling from the sunroof started last weekend. That will have to be looked at if it continues. Never in my prior cars have I had such a collection of noises -- I must admit Japanese lux vehicles have much better fit and finish, silence it seems.

--Remote start app is worthless. I've commented on this before, but why not integrate seat heating activation, defrost activation, temperature adjustment into the app? Or blast the AC! That would be luxury -- the BEST or NOTHING! And why does the car have to turn off when you unlock it with your own key?? (then it says, "Car turned off because a door was opened!" -- yeah I need to get in and drive off, didn't you recognize your own key?) Seems half-*** designed.

--One thing I really hate: On a hot day, my Lexus/Acura, I could roll down the windows from quite a distance ... the same distance you can unlock/lock your doors. So if you're inside your house, or work, you could easily ventilate the car ahead of time. With the MB, I can unlock/lock from a decent distance, however I have to be within a few feet for the window remote function to work -- which negates the point of cooling it off well ahead of time. Has anyone else observed this?

--sorry if this is TMI, but one day I was a little sick. I'm a dude... i had to hock a loogie,.. maybe you've been there. At a red light, I was near stopped, opened the door to spit, BAM, the car threw itself into Park, freaked me out. Another time I was parking, and I wanted to park super close to the curb to protect Sheba from a door ding, I cracked the door open, checking my distance from the curb -- again (going super super slow), the car jerked itself in park. Don't nanny me. I'm a gown man; I don't need you to throw the car in park for me.

--I hate the auto-start/stop function. When I program my individual settings, I have it turned off. A) why can I not set the car to always be be in I* mode? Or Why can't I manually turn off the auto-stop on comfort mode? I hate having to manually turn it off every time I get in. Again, don't nanny me. I can make my own decisions of how I want to drive my car.

--Minor, but again annoying -- I purchased the official OEM roof rails. No one told me, but you cannot open the sunroof if the roof rack is installed (even with nothing on the rack)! WHY? Now I have to return them and buy Thule roof-rails (which you can open with on).

--Minor again: The center console is beautiful with the cup-holder door closed. But other than the cup older section, there is no good place to store phone, wallet, smart key. Easy design change: I don't need three cup holders in the door, plus two in the center console, so why not make one small section in the door area dedicated for phone/wallet/key (and it would make it super accessible).

I love a lot of things things about the car vs. what annoys me, but I'm just surprised the items which do annoy me seem to be such easy fixes....

This is my first Benz ... I love it. I'm happy with it, no regrets. BUT I must admit for my next car I think I'll definitely try out BMW or Volvo; this car has not turned me into a "for life" MB customer.

Cheers!

The auto start/stop has to be on every time by default or the EPA would let it be used in the fuel economy testing. The putting into Park is because auto makers are now really afraid of someone getting out of the car, forgetting to put it in park, and it runs over a child -- they think they'd be sued.

When I had my GLC300 in in Feb for its 2 year service, they did recalls and updated software; that has cured some minor things that didn't work right. They also seem to have cured the brake squeal, but last time it came back, so I'll see. It was a warm day, so they couldn't duplicate the clanking noise in the dash which only happens when it's cold (and which I suspect is an air duct door).

Some little annoyances -- my ML had two sun visors, so you could swivel one to the side and still have one in front; my GLC does not. I wish it wouldn't remind me EVERY time I get in or out to remember to take my key. I do miss the big outside mirrors my ML had. I wish I could display the speed AND radio info at the same time in the display screen between the tach and speedo. It's also annoying some options are accessed with the steering wheel buttons and the instrument display, but others with the center buttons and the infotainment screen. I can never remember which one to use.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
It may be an slight inconvenience to put the car back into drive, but it may save someone some day. That's how I look at it, we deal with similar situation a million ways for the sake of a better society. If we stress over such little things we would all go nuts. Just my 0.02. The fact that this is a "complaint" is a testament of how good modern cars are today. I bet you someone somewhere wanted such feature 30 years ago.

Why do I need a decocker or safety on a pistol? I can operate it under pressure and eyes closed, but having that layer of safety makes sense.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I have had my 2018 GLC43 since late November 2017 and really cannot come up with much in by way of "complaints" - my previous vehicles were E63S wagon and GLK so I have been familiar with the infotainment system. It is a huge improvement over the GLK. I have not experienced any of the wiper, brake or tire issues reported by others.
The GLC infotainment system is certainly an improvement over previous MB systems but, not having owned non MB vehicles with integrated infotainment systems for comparison, I am very happy with the system. Is it perfect- certainly not but I make use of voice control for phone, radio, other media and navigation as much as possible and in my experience it works very well.
I am amazed at how integrated and smooth the start/stop feature is and it works seamlessly so I never have the desire to turn it off - why is it such a problem? I can still take off from a stop very quickly without any hesitation (particularly in sport mode). My E63S had the same feature and it worked the same way -flawlessly.
I have never needed to open my door when the vehicle is in drive (why would I?) - I make use of the 360 cameras to understand where I am when I am parking. This type of technology can be your friend. From a safety perspective, I can see why the feature is part of this vehicle.
I have never had a remote start and personally do not see the advantage having a remote start since I just get in and go - why waste the gas? Yes on winter mornings the vehicle is cold but I have never been uncomfortable...just turn on the seat heaters and if you need to clean off snow you will likely start the car and then clean off snow - no remote start needed.
My key and phone are always in my pocket so I really do not have an issue with the storage for these items. If I need to have my phone out, I use one of the cupholder locations to hold the phone - works great even with the phone plugged in.
I will be purchasing roof rails and learning the experience regarding clearance to the sunroof is very helpful. I will certainly look into this when I decide which system to purchase.
On the whole, I am very pleased with my GLC and do not regret the purchase.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Good report Tylbran, think it's just a personal thing with the stop/start, I always turn it off as soon as the car has started, no big deal pressing the button.

Regarding the infotainment, I seem to be on my own here but have owned BMW'S with the pro system and in my opinion the command system is better and more logical to use, no complaints from me and the next system now being fitted to the C class looks to be even better.

I haven't kept a car for over 2 years for the last 15 years but plan to keep the 43 for 3 years as there is nothing out there that I would rather have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC niggles, complaints and advice