GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC niggles, complaints and advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 250D
GLC niggles, complaints and advice

I thought I'd start a thread for current owners to discuss niggles and queries that are not in the owners manual.
This is better than starting a new thread on each queries

Here's mine.

1. Wiper judder.
I've never had this on a brand new car before. Is there a adjustment required or is it a dealer visit.

2. Selective unlocking. Is there an option to set that on unlock only drivers door opens unless a second press unlocks all doors?

3. Wind noise. Discussed on another thread.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Owners Manuals are good things:

I have none of the niggles you have listed.

If you read your manual you would find this:

Changing the settings of the locking
system
You can change the settings of the locking
system.Thismeansthatonlythedriver'sdoor
and the fuel filler flap are unlocked when the
vehicle is unlocked. This is useful if you fre-
quently travel on your own.
X
Tochangethesetting:
press and hold the
%
and
&
buttons simultaneously for
approximately six seconds until the battery
indicator lamp flashes twice (
Y
page 86).
If the setting of the locking system is changed
within the signal range of the vehicle, press-
ing the
&
or
%
button:
R
locks or
R
unlocks the vehicle
The SmartKey now functions as follows:
X
To unlock:
press the
%
button once.
X
To unlock centrally:
press the
%
but-
ton twice.
X
To lock:
press the
&
button
Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
You mentioned wipers. I find it odd that the GLC wipers cannot be flipped out 90 degrees to the windshield because they hit the back edge of the hood. This is the first Mercedes of mine to have this anomaly. Not necessarily that inconvenient, but sometimes helpful when washing and drying the car. Walk through any parking lot in a European ski resort and probably 70% of the cars have the wipers flipped out to prevent freezing to the windshield. So, is this a design flaw? If not, maybe Mercedes should've designed in deicers (heating element in glass) under the wipers like Subaru, for example.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:54 PM

GLC 250D
Wow @rbrylaw. You are a walking Mercedopedia!
Thanks!!

I was looking for the settings on the on board computer and didn't think it was done on the key!
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by guido3
You mentioned wipers. I find it odd that the GLC wipers cannot be flipped out 90 degrees to the windshield because they hit the back edge of the hood. This is the first Mercedes of mine to have this anomaly. Not necessarily that inconvenient, but sometimes helpful when washing and drying the car. Walk through any parking lot in a European ski resort and probably 70% of the cars have the wipers flipped out to prevent freezing to the windshield. So, is this a design flaw? If not, maybe Mercedes should've designed in deicers (heating element in glass) under the wipers like Subaru, for example.
One of my cars a few years ago had the ability to stop the wipers midway on the screen so that it could be folded out during washing.
It requires a flick of the wiper stalk with the car switches off but ignition on acc.
Not sure if it's the same here.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tron786
Wow @rbrylaw. You are a walking Mercedopedia!
Thanks!!

I was looking for the settings on the on board computer and didn't think it was done on the key!
Go out to MBUSA.com. Click on owners. Download the GLC300 owners manual (and Comand manual if you have Multi-Media). That way, when you're sitting at your laptop and you wonder if your car has a feature, you can open the manual on your computer anytime you want!
The following users liked this post:
Jezzy (03-25-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Current: 2024 GLE350W4, 2016 Audi A8L Previous: 2019 C43W4
Originally Posted by tron786
One of my cars a few years ago had the ability to stop the wipers midway on the screen so that it could be folded out during washing.
It requires a flick of the wiper stalk with the car switches off but ignition on acc.
Not sure if it's the same here.
Don't mind my lurking in the GLC forums, but on my W205 you just need to manually glide the passenger side wiper arm to the desired position and the driver side wiper will move as well. This will allow you to raise the wiper blades.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Grant Hummel
Don't mind my lurking in the GLC forums, but on my W205 you just need to manually glide the passenger side wiper arm to the desired position and the driver side wiper will move as well. This will allow you to raise the wiper blades.
The comments on wipers prompted me to do a quick search, and I soon learned that my auto vocabulary did not include the term wiper "service position" as described in the link below. Now, a review of the GLC OM is is order to find instructions for wiper service position.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-windshield-wiper-service-position-explained/
Old 01-11-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300 4matic
Forum newbie here. We collected our GLC300 last week. Already have a few niggles.

1. Wind noise and lack of sound isolation on drivers door side seems excessive. On highway speeds at 75-80pmh, there is a noticeable wind/buffeting noise on the driver window or side mirror, pretty annoying, even with audio turned on. We had been Lexus RX owners many years and still own a recent RX350, wind noise is present on our RX350 but even our 15 year old RX300 has less wind noise than on the GLC300 on the drivers side. I don't expect a compact Merc SUV to have better noise isolation than a Lexus, but this stood out. When parked, I can also hear outside noise from the drivers side, voice chatter, cars starting or passing by as if the door was quite transparent.

2. Loose (sloppy workmanship?) on plastic door moulding panels. Tried to push to snap back but it wont stay. Proceeded to check other doors and found a possible misaligned panel on passenger door side. Am I nitpicking or should I expect better from a Bremen, Germany car?

3. Lack of door ajar warning before driving off? I searched the manuals and did not find any information on how to set dash display to show which doors are open. I drove off from the parking lot with our 6 year old son in the rear. I closed all doors, drove off, and as we left the lot, the interior lights went on. I panicked, stopped the car and did not know what was happening. Walked to the back and found one of the doors unhinged. I did not see any door warning on dash or hear any alarm. Only interior lights went on. We normally don't use child proof locks for our six year old and he has never opened doors on a moving vehicle. I made sure doors were shut properly. Is this normal for a Mercedes to not have door ajar indicators or do they only come on when you exceed certain mph?

4. Lack of sound isolation on panaroma roof sunshade. It was raining cats and dogs yesterday, and the sunshades did not provide any sound isolation like in our Lexuses. Felt like I was in a Toyota or Honda rather than in a luxury compact SUV.

Overall seems like a very nice compact SUV, much better than the Lexus NX we test drove. Very quiet around town at low speeds, very "Lexus like" noise isolation (other than the problems mentioned) and drives more like a car than a SUV but yes, not entirely happy with the panels falling apart and lack of door ajar warning on dash so far.

Joe

Last edited by GLCer; 01-11-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 PM

GLC 250D
Seems like the wind noise is more than a coincidence. Any other owners with this experience?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLC300
Originally Posted by GLCer
Forum newbie here. We collected our GLC300 last week. Already have a few niggles.

1. Wind noise and lack of sound isolation on drivers door side seems excessive. On highway speeds at 75-80pmh, there is a noticeable wind/buffeting noise on the driver window or side mirror, pretty annoying, even with audio turned on. We had been Lexus RX owners many years and still own a recent RX350, wind noise is present on our RX350 but even our 15 year old RX300 has less wind noise than on the GLC300 on the drivers side. I don't expect a compact Merc SUV to have better noise isolation than a Lexus, but this stood out. When parked, I can also hear outside noise from the drivers side, voice chatter, cars starting or passing by as if the door was quite transparent.

2. Loose (sloppy workmanship?) on plastic door moulding panels. Tried to push to snap back but it wont stay. Proceeded to check other doors and found a possible misaligned panel on passenger door side. Am I nitpicking or should I expect better from a Bremen, Germany car?

3. Lack of door ajar warning before driving off? I searched the manuals and did not find any information on how to set dash display to show which doors are open. I drove off from the parking lot with our 6 year old son in the rear. I closed all doors, drove off, and as we left the lot, the interior lights went on. I panicked, stopped the car and did not know what was happening. Walked to the back and found one of the doors unhinged. I did not see any door warning on dash or hear any alarm. Only interior lights went on. We normally don't use child proof locks for our six year old and he has never opened doors on a moving vehicle. I made sure doors were shut properly. Is this normal for a Mercedes to not have door ajar indicators or do they only come on when you exceed certain mph?

4. Lack of sound isolation on panaroma roof sunshade. It was raining cats and dogs yesterday, and the sunshades did not provide any sound isolation like in our Lexuses. Felt like I was in a Toyota or Honda rather than in a luxury compact SUV.

Overall seems like a very nice compact SUV, much better than the Lexus NX we test drove. Very quiet around town at low speeds, very "Lexus like" noise isolation (other than the problems mentioned) and drives more like a car than a SUV but yes, not entirely happy with the panels falling apart and lack of door ajar warning on dash so far.

Joe

On #3 (door ajar warning), I just experienced it this morning when driving off from my driveway. The GLC (in the Multifunction display screen) actually shows which door is not completely shut. In my case it was the left rear door because my daughter didn't slam it hard enough.

Do you have MultiMedia package? Not sure if this was the cause.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 PM

GLC300 4matic
Originally Posted by internizzi
Do you have MultiMedia package? Not sure if this was the cause.
No I don't have the multimedia package. There were not many options available when we shopped and we would have to pickup the AMG kit plus some other options we didn't want. We tend to use Waze most of the time.

But good to know that there is a door ajar warning. Thanks for the info.

I tried to simulate the problem by leaving a rear door open, got into my seat, closed doors, engaged drive and let the car creep slowly, warning did not show up. Maybe it needs to be at a higher speed to trigger.

My dealer is going to pick up our vehicle today to get it checked.

Joe
Old 01-11-2016, 03:15 PM

GLC300 4matic
Originally Posted by internizzi
On #3 (door ajar warning), I just experienced it this morning when driving off from my driveway. The GLC (in the Multifunction display screen) actually shows which door is not completely shut. In my case it was the left rear door because my daughter didn't slam it hard enough.
Was there an audible alarm?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4, 2014 Nissan Leaf
Hello everyone! First post. I have a GLC on order.

Regarding excessive wind noise at highway speed, I see that the "C" is having this problem. There's a thread in the C forum discussing this. Apparently MB is aware of the problem and has asked dealers to go through a checklist culminating, if necessary, in replacing the driver window with acoustic glass. Results seem to be mixed. It doesn't appear to be every vehicle but I have to admit I'm concerned that the GLC is having the same issue. One of the main reasons I'm buying the GLC is for quiet at highway speeds when my wife and I travel. Rbrylaw, since you own both the C and GLC, could you comment on your experience with this issue?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mickfx
Hello everyone! First post. I have a GLC on order.

Regarding excessive wind noise at highway speed, I see that the "C" is having this problem. There's a thread in the C forum discussing this. Apparently MB is aware of the problem and has asked dealers to go through a checklist culminating, if necessary, in replacing the driver window with acoustic glass. Results seem to be mixed. It doesn't appear to be every vehicle but I have to admit I'm concerned that the GLC is having the same issue. One of the main reasons I'm buying the GLC is for quiet at highway speeds when my wife and I travel. Rbrylaw, since you own both the C and GLC, could you comment on your experience with this issue?
No issues whatsoever with either the GLC300 or C300 Sport. That doesn't mean it's pin quiet at 80mph, but then our E350 Coupes weren't pin quiet at that speed either. To me, at least it's very pleasant at those speeds.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4, 2014 Nissan Leaf
Thanks rbrylaw. Glad to hear!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
e350
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
No issues whatsoever with either the GLC300 or C300 Sport. That doesn't mean it's pin quiet at 80mph, but then our E350 Coupes weren't pin quiet at that speed either. To me, at least it's very pleasant at those speeds.
My 2014 e350 was quieter. Its not the wind noise, though that is a bit louder, but I believe the glass in the drivers door glass was thicker or something in the e350. In the GLC i can hear cars passing by. Not annoying but i noticed it right away. That acoustic glass mentioned would make a huge difference.

I agree, it is still pleasant at 80-85, but gets louder. 75 and less and it's a very nice place to be.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:57 PM

GLC300 4matic
Originally Posted by JSandro
In the GLC i can hear cars passing by. Not annoying but i noticed it right away.
This is what I felt when I first drove ours. As if the door was quite transparent.

I sent it back to the dealer to have a look. They test drove it and compared to another GLC in the dealership and said there is nothing wrong. The dealership also had a a device where they could pressurize the cabin and check for leaks. They tested and said all normal and no leaks. So I suspect we have too high expectations on noise intrusion
Old 01-13-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Am I dreaming or didn't I read on here that there was an issues with some of the early models where the wrong glass or something was used, causing an increase in noise? I can't seem to find where that was posted.

*EDIT* - found it in this very thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ml#post6672811
Maybe the problem in the C-Class is also found in the GLC? Not sure how you tell acoustic glass from the other glass.

Here's the C-Class thread if anyone cares to read it: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-bulletin.html

Last edited by JEVA; 01-13-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: found it!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:50 AM

GLC 250D
Is there an official English bulletin for the c -class that we can show the dealer as most dealers will deny any problem.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
I am loving my GLC 300; on road or wind noise, it is far quieter than the 2013 C300 that I turned in. It seems that some GLC300 owners are inferring that their GLCs don't have acoustic glass - that's strange, mine does. It's easy to spot...the windows say "acoustic glass." I figured it was standard??? Or maybe my GLC, having been built in late November, has some different features than earlier builds???

The sloppy workmanship that GLCer shared is disgraceful; should never have made it to the dealer in that shape. I would insist it gets corrected.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Thanks for the info, as that as good know. Our GLC just came in and when I take delivery, going to make sure our says that.

Originally Posted by GSOTXL
I am loving my GLC 300; on road or wind noise, it is far quieter than the 2013 C300 that I turned in. It seems that some GLC300 owners are inferring that their GLCs don't have acoustic glass - that's strange, mine does. It's easy to spot...the windows say "acoustic glass." I figured it was standard??? Or maybe my GLC, having been built in late November, has some different features than earlier builds???

The sloppy workmanship that GLCer shared is disgraceful; should never have made it to the dealer in that shape. I would insist it gets corrected.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GLCer
This is what I felt when I first drove ours. As if the door was quite transparent.

I sent it back to the dealer to have a look. They test drove it and compared to another GLC in the dealership and said there is nothing wrong. The dealership also had a a device where they could pressurize the cabin and check for leaks. They tested and said all normal and no leaks. So I suspect we have too high expectations on noise intrusion
This. I think people have such high expectations that maybe they're listening for noise. I can honestly say that the two 2012 E350 Coupes we traded for both the C300 Sport and GLC300 was no quieter. In fact, I'd venture a guess that the C and GLC may be quieter at highway speeds. But that doesn't mean there is no wind noise coming into the cabin. I'm not sure it's possible to isolate the cabin to the pin-quiet level people seem to think they should get.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Run flat tires transmit quite a bit of noise...I know these aren't exactly run flats but they are probably noisier than normal tires.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JEVA
Run flat tires transmit quite a bit of noise...I know these aren't exactly run flats but they are probably noisier than normal tires.
The MB MOE RFT has come a long way. My 2005 BMW 335i had RFT's. Those things were noisy and jarring to say the least. I don't find tire noise to be an issue at all in either C300 or GLC300.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC niggles, complaints and advice