GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Windshield Distortion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
350 sd
Windshield Distortion

Our vehicle has a line of distortion running thru the windshield. It can be annoying at times and amazes me these guys can't produce constant quality glass. The GLC has a fairly simple windshield design...no harsh corners etc. Anyone else familiar with this flaw? At times it be like looking thru funny glass. I know material is laminated between glass for safety and if the process is not done properly is can cause waviness.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
I think I may have something similar.....except my windscreen seems to cause eye strain but I cannot detect any obvious distortion in the glass. I noticed it when I first drove the car and my Wife also noticed it while driving(I hadn't told her about my experience).
Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 AM

350 sd
Originally Posted by decorily
I think I may have something similar.....except my windscreen seems to cause eye strain but I cannot detect any obvious distortion in the glass. I noticed it when I first drove the car and my Wife also noticed it while driving(I hadn't told her about my experience).
From the inside of your car look back and forth at your glass on an angle...from the driver position look towards the passenger and vice versa. Also when driving look from the windshield to the side window. The door glass has no lamination and is clear, plus flat. The eye strain is caused by the magnification, for a better word, of the lamination. Years ago this was not an issue. I don't know what has changed. I've seen some cars when I pull up to a light that look like the entire windshield is full of distortion. Google it... lots of discussion. we looked at the Denali years back...first time we ever saw it. when we questioned the sales guy he know nothing, but when we asked the service manager he said there was a TSB out on it..but only to offer replacement glass if the customer complained. I know Chinese glass is a problem.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Yes...I have tried looking back and forth etc. When I look out the side window I feel immediate 'relief', but as I said I cannot find any visible distortion or flaw. Am hoping it will become less of an issue as I, hopefully, become used to it!!

I don't really fancy some 'butcher' getting at my new car to replace the windscreen and find out that the replacement causes the same minor strain!

Did you report your issue to Mercedes?
Old 04-14-2016, 06:32 PM

350 sd
Yes...I have tried looking back and forth etc. When I look out the side window I feel immediate 'relief', but as I said I cannot find any visible distortion or flaw. Am hoping it will become less of an issue as I, hopefully, become used to it!!

I don't really fancy some 'butcher' getting at my new car to replace the windscreen and find out that the replacement causes the same minor strain!

Did you report your issue to Mercedes?
We are going to live with ours. The sales manager said they'd replace it, but I too don't know what the next one would be and I would insist if we did it was Mercedes with the proper ID on it. Will just wait until a rock causes a change. We had a 1990 S350 for almost 20 years...aside from sand blasting thru the years the glass was perfect...never did a rock crack it or chip it. I will tell Mercedes via their survey.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - if the dealer offered to replace your windshield - at no charge - and with a loaner - I would take advantage of that.

For the GKC - at this moment there is no "afterm-market" glass made yet - anyway a MB dealer would use genuine Mercedes glass anyway.

The dealer is sincerely working to make you happy - and once you take them up on their offer - they will order the OE/factory glass - and once it gets in the windshield replacement generally is a full 2-day process - due to the cure time on the factory adhesive used for the replacement.

Keep the beat !
Old 04-15-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Fab is right, take the windscreen replacement. Don't worry - it's a fairly straight forward job and they won't butcher your car. They'll send the car to a glass shop anyway. Here in SF, they use the best shop in town and they do outstanding work. Ask who the shop is and do a little research on Yelp or something beforehand if you're worried.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Fab is right, take the windscreen replacement. Don't worry - it's a fairly straight forward job and they won't butcher your car. They'll send the car to a glass shop anyway. Here in SF, they use the best shop in town and they do outstanding work. Ask who the shop is and do a little research on Yelp or something beforehand if you're worried.

The above advice is right on. Take the replacement.

Looking through defective glass every day will get very very old.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+1
Old 04-15-2016, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Thanks for the advice....will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300 4W
My wife and I just picked up our car last week and we also have the distortion. I agree it feels like eye strain.

I will ask them to replace my windscreen as well.

Can someone that also had this problem confirm that the replacements don't have this issue?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-05-2016, 08:21 PM

350 sd
Took our car to service and showed them the problem. As we were there another GLC pulled in with a cracked windshield. I pointed out to the service manager the distortion in that one as well...which was worst than ours. He saw it in both cars and said he would contact Mercedes. The other day we dropped back in and spoke to him again. He said he called the Mercedes rep and of course this was the first time they had any distortion complaints. The manager told them he had two of them in at the same time! He told my wife that he ordered us a new glass but I am a bit hesitant to replace until i see one that has been done and if the glass is any better. The distortion is way more visible when driving in overcast situations and has become nauseating. Suppose to do a 1000 mile drive next week so I'll see how long I can tolerate it.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:22 PM

350 sd
Thanks for the advice....will let you know how it goes.
Did you replace your glass?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 AM

GLC 300 4W
jmbaker3,

My wife and I will take our new GLC next week to have the windscreen replaced. I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed the new one doesn't have the same issue.

Tony
Old 05-06-2016, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by jmbaker3
Did you replace your glass?

NO...my wife drives it and does very low mileage so she is willing to put up with it for moment.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:53 PM

350 sd
NO...my wife drives it and does very low mileage so she is willing to put up with it for moment.
So does mine. You should report it though. Need to get this on their books...though I guarantee you they are aware. I saw 6 2017 GLS on my dealers storage lot and they too all had it.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
I don't have the distortion problem but while at the dealer we talked about it.

The lead service writer told me that when they have a windscreen replacement they order an M-B glass.

The actual replacement is done by a mom & pop glass shop the dealer has been doing business for 20+ years. My understanding is their work is impeccable.

Am puzzled as to how such an obvious defect is missed by M-B quality assurance.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 PM

GLC300 Polar White/Beige
So glad I came across this thread! I noticed the distortion about two days ago, but since it's been raining and I've had the defrost A/C on warm (instead of cold) I thought it might just be distortion from the hot air. When it finally stops raining, I'm going to examine it more and take it to the dealership if in fact the windshield is distorted. Thanks for sharing! I'll update everyone if I do need to get it replaced.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:49 PM

350 sd
Originally Posted by CJNico
So glad I came across this thread! I noticed the distortion about two days ago, but since it's been raining and I've had the defrost A/C on warm (instead of cold) I thought it might just be distortion from the hot air. When it finally stops raining, I'm going to examine it more and take it to the dealership if in fact the windshield is distorted. Thanks for sharing! I'll update everyone if I do need to get it replaced.
It's best seen on overcast days. It's worst if you wear progressive glasses like me. My eyes are adjusting every half second. It becomes nauseating at times.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 PM

GLC300 Polar White/Beige
Originally Posted by jmbaker3
It's best seen on overcast days. It's worst if you wear progressive glasses like me. My eyes are adjusting every half second. It becomes nauseating at times.
Sorry to hear that it's so bad it makes you nauseated! I'm with you on being hesitant to replace it, I am definitely going to be following this thread for awhile. We leased a C300 back in 2010 and had no issues at all. I guess I just gave MB the benefit of the doubt, but from this thread it seems to be more than an isolated defect. Hope you can get through the nausea soon, @jmbaker3!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 PM

350 sd
Originally Posted by CJNico
Sorry to hear that it's so bad it makes you nauseated! I'm with you on being hesitant to replace it, I am definitely going to be following this thread for awhile. We leased a C300 back in 2010 and had no issues at all. I guess I just gave MB the benefit of the doubt, but from this thread it seems to be more than an isolated defect. Hope you can get through the nausea soon, @jmbaker3!
Maybe I am being a bit too strong, but it can make you feel like you've been playing pin the tail on the donkey. lol
Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I have not noticed it on mine. I wonder if it is dependent on the windshield your car is equipped with. my vehicle has park assist and driver assist and appears to have sensor for wipers as well as 2 cameras.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:52 AM

350 sd
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I have not noticed it on mine. I wonder if it is dependent on the windshield your car is equipped with. my vehicle has park assist and driver assist and appears to have sensor for wipers as well as 2 cameras.
I have those features as well.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 GLC 300
What about HUD?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:21 PM

350 sd
Originally Posted by MITCH1975
What about HUD?
Don't have HUD

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield Distortion