GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Wheel Vibration when hitting small bumps in road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
Well you said you were hearing a noise... now you're saying vibration. Regardless, the issue discussed in this thread is known by MB and I posted the bulletin info. It is a software issue in the steering wheel for deflection at high speeds. There is a bulletin for noise behind the instrument panel going over bumps coming from the front strut bump stops, which to me sounds exactly what you're discussing. Perhaps you should try a different dealership or technician because they/he clearly didn't search bulletins before releasing your car to you. Either that or the noise you are hearing may be normal
The following 3 users liked this post by ec_nova:
GreyGLC2016 (09-26-2016), jeffzou (09-18-2016), kinleysma (10-11-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG GLC43
Finally got the car into MB Laguna Niguel today for its first Service A and for the dealerships first attempt to "fix" the suspension issue.

I'll post what they tell me....FYI - I provided them with a full print out of this message thread.
The following users liked this post:
GreyGLC2016 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 04:42 PM

E300, C63
there still is no fix for the issue, so don't be disappointed if they don't do anything. But PTSS may want some data from your vehicle to help with the update that is forthcoming.
The following 2 users liked this post by ec_nova:
GreyGLC2016 (09-26-2016), jeffzou (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 04:52 PM

2017 AMG GLC43
PTSS?

Excuse my ignorance, what is PTSS?

Thanks

Jeff

Originally Posted by ec_nova
there still is no fix for the issue, so don't be disappointed if they don't do anything. But PTSS may want some data from your vehicle to help with the update that is forthcoming.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 PM

E300, C63
PTSS is a group of engineers whom technicians contact to receive/provide information on vehicles. Currently when we receive vehicles with this issue, we are to perform a certain list of steps, collate the data, and send it to PTSS. They will then instruct us to either replace parts, perform repairs, collect more data, etc. They are used as a "last resort" when the higher-ups in the shop are unable to diagnose a vehicle as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by ec_nova:
GreyGLC2016 (09-26-2016), jeffzou (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 05:45 PM

2017 AMG GLC43
Aha...I hear EVERYTHING you are telling me within your answer! Thank you very much!

PTSS is a group of engineers whom technicians contact to receive/provide information on vehicles. Currently when we receive vehicles with this issue, we are to perform a certain list of steps, collate the data, and send it to PTSS. They will then instruct us to either replace parts, perform repairs, collect more data, etc. They are used as a "last resort" when the higher-ups in the shop are unable to diagnose a vehicle as well.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 AM

2017 AMG GLC43
I got my GLC back from MB Laguna Niguel. They held onto it for two days to complete its first A Service and to investigate the suspension vibration issue.

Here is their finding: Working as designed, our staff can find no issues.

Let the documentation begin...

UGH
GreyGLC2016 (10-14-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:52 PM

E300, C63
that's frustrating indeed. Are they not aware of the bulletin about the issue? Or did they simply say that your vehicle is not exhibiting the symptoms of the bulletin?
jeffzou (09-28-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 PM

2017 AMG GLC43
They indicated that in their test drives they could not replicate the issue. Even told me they took out an in stock GLC and they drive the same...

It's gonna be a real hassle. I've only owned one other MB besides this one and turned that prior car in as a lemon. Gee wiz I hope I don't have to go down that road with this car too...

that's frustrating indeed. Are they not aware of the bulletin about the issue? Or did they simply say that your vehicle is not exhibiting the symptoms of the bulletin?
GreyGLC2016 (10-14-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 cayman s - 2017 Macan S--
I been away for a few months and sorry to come back to see that MB has not found a solution to the problem as of yet.
Jeffzou I fell your pain.
I also had the same problem with the same run a round.They also said cannot replicate the issue.So I wrote a letter to corporate with no responce.
Because of the lack of Sensitivity from MB after 6 months of ownership I traded in my car for 17 Macan S.
And been driving with a smile everyday.
Good Luck To All And hope MB put this problem on the front burner and find a fix.
The following 2 users liked this post by RRrocco:
GreyGLC2016 (10-16-2016), jeffzou (09-28-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 530
Any news about the software update for the steering wheel vibration/reverberation issue?
jeffzou (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW 2011 535i + MB 2016 GLC300 + 2020 BMW 330i
Originally Posted by jeffzou
They indicated that in their test drives they could not replicate the issue. Even told me they took out an in stock GLC and they drive the same...

It's gonna be a real hassle. I've only owned one other MB besides this one and turned that prior car in as a lemon. Gee wiz I hope I don't have to go down that road with this car too...
That's their official answer,they must said so and decline all the claims at first to avoid flood by the claims. If too many claims filed or caused some safety issue already and they will start to take action. Unfortunately, most drivers are not sensitive enough to file a claim to this issue.

Here is what I found.

1st. It happens only in the base model without sport package, the suspension has different setup with base model. I went back dealer to test drove GLC300 with sport suspension to hit pothole or metal cover on the road and nothing happened. I tested base model and it happen again.

2nd. My GLC300 is already 4 months old, the wheel vibration is getting less and less when hit pothole or metal cover. The vibration is still there but not as bad as when it was new. Obviously, the suspension is getting softer and the vibration less.

MB will change the suspension setup under the table to the new production and will never us know.
GreyGLC2016 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 03:18 PM

I had the sport package and had the wheel vibration.
GreyGLC2016 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4 matic
On 8/25/16 a PTSS case # was opened on my vehicle for this issue and it indicates "UPDATED ES software & road test again & issue is still present. PER PTSS THIS ISSUE IS CURRENTLY UNDER INVESTIGATION & THE VEHICLE IS SAFE TO DRIVE". They acknowledged an issue and said there will be a fix coming soon. I have checked back with the dealership 3 times since and they have NO ANSWERS. or UPDATES. I also wrote a letter to MB Corporate and NO RESPONSE. I have owned MB since 2002 and never had any situations like this occur. The vibration isn't going away or getting less noticeable, it feels worse.

How long does it take for PTSS to come up with a fix? Or is it that there aren't enough complaints for them to take this seriously??
Old 10-14-2016, 07:49 PM

E300, C63
Originally Posted by GreyGLC2016
On 8/25/16 a PTSS case # was opened on my vehicle for this issue and it indicates "UPDATED ES software & road test again & issue is still present. PER PTSS THIS ISSUE IS CURRENTLY UNDER INVESTIGATION & THE VEHICLE IS SAFE TO DRIVE". They acknowledged an issue and said there will be a fix coming soon. I have checked back with the dealership 3 times since and they have NO ANSWERS. or UPDATES. I also wrote a letter to MB Corporate and NO RESPONSE. I have owned MB since 2002 and never had any situations like this occur. The vibration isn't going away or getting less noticeable, it feels worse.

How long does it take for PTSS to come up with a fix? Or is it that there aren't enough complaints for them to take this seriously??
it takes quite a while. They have to compile data from multiple vehicles/markets, then figure out the remedy. Then, write the software and test it on vehicles. They have to also make sure other systems aren't affected, as well as other issues possibly resulting from the changes. Then it has to get approved. Please know, when they say it is safe to drive, they mean it. The condition FEELS like the rear of the vehicle may be skipping/vibrating, but in fact it is coming from the electric steering. The stability of the vehicle is not compromised, just the perceived stability(hopefully the way I worded that makes sense.)
GreyGLC2016 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 10:27 AM

2017 AMG GLC43
My GLC has Sport Package and the vibration is very evident.

FYI

Jeff

Originally Posted by BmwGLC300
That's their official answer,they must said so and decline all the claims at first to avoid flood by the claims. If too many claims filed or caused some safety issue already and they will start to take action. Unfortunately, most drivers are not sensitive enough to file a claim to this issue.

Here is what I found.

1st. It happens only in the base model without sport package, the suspension has different setup with base model. I went back dealer to test drove GLC300 with sport suspension to hit pothole or metal cover on the road and nothing happened. I tested base model and it happen again.

2nd. My GLC300 is already 4 months old, the wheel vibration is getting less and less when hit pothole or metal cover. The vibration is still there but not as bad as when it was new. Obviously, the suspension is getting softer and the vibration less.

MB will change the suspension setup under the table to the new production and will never us know.
GreyGLC2016 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
My GLC is 8 months old. I do not have the problem. I do not have the sport suspension nor do I have the air suspension. Car has 19 inch wheels. Drives great.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:04 PM

GLC300 4 matic
it takes quite a while. They have to compile data from multiple vehicles/markets, then figure out the remedy. Then, write the software and test it on vehicles. They have to also make sure other systems aren't affected, as well as other issues possibly resulting from the changes. Then it has to get approved. Please know, when they say it is safe to drive, they mean it. The condition FEELS like the rear of the vehicle may be skipping/vibrating, but in fact it is coming from the electric steering. The stability of the vehicle is not compromised, just the perceived stability(hopefully the way I worded that makes sense.)

Thanks for the detail, it does help shed some light. I hear what you're saying. I'm a very reasonable person. I understand, new model, new vehicle, I kind of expected an issue or two. I'm not annoyed that there is a problem with the car. The more frustrating part is the lack of response and acknowledgement from MB. Its hard for me to reason with MB indicating the vehicle is safe when they cant really say what the issue is, what is causing it nor how to fix it. My vehicle is sometimes taking me out of the lane after hitting a small bump or sewer grate, at highway speeds. Is that Safe?? It is not an enjoyable ride to have to drive holding the wheel for dear life hoping to make it wherever you're going safely, and to not be able to drive at highway speeds on the highway because of fear of hitting a bump that may cause some unknown damage. The vibrating sound is loud and annoying and constant over every bump. How long am I expected wait? Maybe I would feel a little better if MB acknowledged the situation IN EVERY DEALERSHIP, and kept in contact with the owners who have reported the issue to keep us updated on any sort of progress or expected "fix" time frame. But instead some dealerships seem unaware of this issue, or they say it feels normal. Two dealerships I visited after the case # on my car was filed, indicated nothing was wrong with the car or that what I felt was normal drive. Its just not a good look for MB. Sorry for the rant
The following 3 users liked this post by GreyGLC2016:
dsliwi (11-15-2016), Jblue (10-21-2016), RRrocco (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 530
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
My GLC is 8 months old. I do not have the problem. I do not have the sport suspension nor do I have the air suspension. Car has 19 inch wheels. Drives great.
Does your car fit standard tires or runflat?
Old 10-15-2016, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Pirelli Scorpion runflats.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:58 PM

GreyGlc2016 I second that. And That is why i had to go to the extreme and get rid of the car. Did not fell safe driving it.
GreyGLC2016 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2007 SL550
Originally Posted by RRrocco
GreyGlc2016 I second that. And That is why i had to go to the extreme and get rid of the car. Did not fell safe driving it.
Sounds like a logical solution if you do not feel safe. Life is too short.
GreyGLC2016 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 06:44 PM

GLC300 4 matic
Originally Posted by RRrocco

I thought I would wait for the time frame indicated in the bulletin - late Sept mid Oct - but really it seems like people at MB aren't on the same page. So yea, getting rid of the car is going to be the only option left for me, unfortunately.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2007 SL550
But if, as stated by you -

"My vehicle is sometimes taking me out of the lane after hitting a small bump or sewer grate, at highway speeds. Is that Safe?? It is not an enjoyable ride to have to drive holding the wheel for dear life hoping to make it wherever you're going safely, and to not be able to drive at highway speeds on the highway because of fear of hitting a bump that may cause some unknown damage. The vibrating sound is loud and annoying and constant over every bump. "

then for my own piece of mind I would sell it tomorrow. Sounds like your situation as described in this forum is a very dangerous situation that not all owners are experiencing. No matter if MB says it is SAFE you do not think so. Why wait for a lane jumping accident or suffer through something that is not enjoyable? Once again life is too short.
GreyGLC2016 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 07:49 PM

GLC300 4 matic
Originally Posted by FirstBenz@62
But if, as stated by you -

"My vehicle is sometimes taking me out of the lane after hitting a small bump or sewer grate, at highway speeds. Is that Safe?? It is not an enjoyable ride to have to drive holding the wheel for dear life hoping to make it wherever you're going safely, and to not be able to drive at highway speeds on the highway because of fear of hitting a bump that may cause some unknown damage. The vibrating sound is loud and annoying and constant over every bump. "

then for my own piece of mind I would sell it tomorrow. Sounds like your situation as described in this forum is a very dangerous situation that not all owners are experiencing. No matter if MB says it is SAFE you do not think so. Why wait for a lane jumping accident or suffer through something that is not enjoyable? Once again life is too short.

I agree getting rid of it is the best thing do at this point. Its a lease though, so I cant sell it. And that's another reason I have been waiting all this time on MB. When I first inquired about getting rid of the car MB said I would be breaking the lease and be subject to penalties -even though there is an issue under investigation - because they deem the care safe to drive. The only other option they offered was to get into a different MB car, which is exactly why I got into this car in the first place (got rid of the C300 for the GLC). I'm also hearing that this issue isn't only on this model its on other 2016 new releases - so I don't want to get into another MB. I like the GLC, if they could fix it I'd be happy with it. But yes I remain concerned that while waiting for a fix, something not so enjoyable may occur.

I also inquired with lemon law and was told my car doesn't qualify because mechanics report shows safe to drive.

Forgive my ignorance but I've had no experience like this ever with any other vehicle. So from what I've been told by MB, I feel like I'm stuck with the car or I pay penalties to break. Are there any other options I may not be aware of for my situation?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Vibration when hitting small bumps in road