GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC Prepaid Maintenance and Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by CaptainJack
Did they charge you extra for the brake fluid replacement?
No charge for brake fluid change
Old 10-19-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Just talked to a friend who owns a service station that does repairs(pretty rare today)
about the brake fluid changing schedule and he said any good dealership or repair shop would have a digital refractometer to check for the presence and level of moisture in the brake fluid. It does not need to be changed unless the reading gets above a certain level(as a percentage).
Mercedes is REALLY playing it safe by doing this, as the only reason I can imagine is
lawsuits after an accident.
Interesting that this is not a "thing" out in the real world with almost all other car
manufacturers not including brake fluid changes in the maintenance schedules.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
My Vette specifies a brake fluid change interval.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 AM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
The more enlightened models and makes do. When I looked at the brake
fluid efficiency chart based on moisture content, I was amazed at how
quickly the fluids temperature based performance degrades.
I'm really suprised this isn't a trial lawyers issue, who knows how many
accidents and deaths happen because of degraded braking.
As an old military motor pool mechanic, this aspect of the maintenance
schedule is on my radar. But I will be having it checked whenever I go in
for an oil change, not changed every two years.
Larry, I'm curious if your GMC lists it and how often the Vette calls for the
change?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
VLK/AUD/TOY manuals have it in several places - to change a brake fluid every 2 years.

Last week at the dealership I watched this process - it took around 15 minutes on ML450. The technician did it on three wheels at once with their power bleeder. To me it was a bit longer with my Motive Power Brake Bleeder (using Pentosin Brake Fluid) - pretty simple task.

Do not worth a big discussion.

Last edited by Alex Bel; 10-19-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Alex Bel
VLK/AUD/TOY manuals have it in several places - to change a brake fluid every 2 years.
Sounds like the foreign manufacturers are on top of this issue.
And to think, all these years(coming up on fifty for me)of driving, never
once has this been raised. Like I said, I'm surprised this isn't an issue.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 BMW 435i Coupe
Word of advice for everyone. If you buy the extended warranty, make sure you are 100% sure and do not cancel. The cancellation process is very tedious. You have to contact the finance manager at the dealership where you originally purchased the warranty. As you can see, there is an incentive for this person to "drag" his/her feet since they are losing out on commission. I am still waiting for the refund to hit (been waiting for 4 weeks now). Finance person is very slow to return my calls or emails
The following users liked this post:
MaMaChup (03-01-2017)
Old 10-29-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford C max , C300 4-matic
I dont drive that much and will never hit 40K miles in 4 years. I doubt I will even hit 24K miles . So does it make sense for me to get the 4 year prepaid service?
Old 10-29-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
Originally Posted by sportflyer10
I dont drive that much and will never hit 40K miles in 4 years. I doubt I will even hit 24K miles . So does it make sense for me to get the 4 year prepaid service?
the services are based on time OR mileage, whichever comes first. There is a huge misconception that because a vehicle has low miles, it doesn't need serviced. Even if you put 100 miles a year on your car, you should still do any/all the services required each year. Time can and will do just as much "damage" as mileage.
dejongj (10-30-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM

The day prior to delivering my GLC for its first A check I purchased the A, B, A, B Pre Paid Maintenance Plan. Cost $1,225.

The following day the dealer accomplished my GLCs first A check. In reality, I consider this nothing more than a glorified oil change.

Total cost, $24.95...rotate tires.

They also repaired an inoperative radio/Bluetooth by replacing a sound amplifier. Surprisingly this amp. is located in the tailgate.

All in all a good experience. Am a happy camper. Anytime one gets their M-B back from dealer service for a measly $25. they should be happy, very happy.
RedwinGV (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
The day prior to delivering my GLC for its first A check I purchased the A, B, A, B Pre Paid Maintenance Plan. Cost $1,225.

The following day the dealer accomplished my GLCs first A check. In reality, I consider this nothing more than a glorified oil change.

They also repaired an inoperative radio/Bluetooth by replacing a sound amplifier. Surprisingly this amp. is located in the tailgate.

All in all a good experience. Am a happy camper. Anytime one gets their M-B back from dealer service for a measly $25. they should be happy, very happy.
That's one way to look at it, but one has to shell out over $1200 to get that feeling.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Good point.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford C max , C300 4-matic
The cost of Schedule A and B maintenance costs from an independent MB service and repair shop near my home is : Schedule A $120 and schedule B between $200 and $300 depending on what needs to be changed. So for 4 year approx $740 on the average

Obviously for warranty repairs one has to go to the dealer .
Old 11-03-2016, 06:50 PM

E300, C63
Originally Posted by sportflyer10
The cost of Schedule A and B maintenance costs from an independent MB service and repair shop near my home is : Schedule A $120 and schedule B between $200 and $300 depending on what needs to be changed. So for 4 year approx $740 on the average

Obviously for warranty repairs one has to go to the dealer .
well you know what they say... you get what you pay for! There is a reason independent shops cost half
Old 11-03-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Excuse me but what is the reason?
I kind of like saving a little money and Ive had good service with independent Mercedes mechanics. Most I know have worked for Mercedes dealers for years and decided to open there own stores and do quite well. 100 dollars oil change with oem filters and check everything is the same with dealer service A who charge $250. They don't do anything else except offer you waterdown Starbucks coffee from a machine.
And saving your receipt warranty during your first 4 years will cover anything wrong.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:12 PM

E300, C63
'most' indy shops are filled with people who were fired from dealerships because they either couldn't fix cars, or continuously broke cars. The M274 engine in the GLC came out in 2015. You will be hard pressed to find somebody at an indy shop that has any clue that engine even exists. So now they will be servicing it with aftermarket filters, "o.e. equivalent" oil, and guessing at a quantity. They won't have factory training or resources to inspect/repair/service your vehicle. If that's a chance you're willing to take to save a few bucks, then more power to you.

I truly cannot understand why one would by a best-of-the-best, top of the line luxury vehicle then take it to some independent shop to get serviced. If you wanted to save money, why did you buy a Mercedes-Benz?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Your right how can my mechanic figure out how to change a 2015 car oil change and what oil filter it needs. Last time I'm buying a top of the line car.
I like to support local mom and pop businesses. That's why I buy Mercedes to help the poor uneducated mechanics who have been fired from Mercedes.
Your lucky you get a free cup of Turkish coffee at the dealer. I get a handshake and sometimes a cold beer from my mechanic/service guy.
More power to you for getting service at the dealer. We need more customers like you to keep the coffeee fresh.
RedwinGV (11-04-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC

The amplifier should have been warranty item, right?
So the $25 was for the tire rotation (was that not included in the A service)?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by clarst
The amplifier should have been warranty item, right?
So the $25 was for the tire rotation (was that not included in the A service)?
Amp. replaced under warranty.

As stated in the maintenance handbook tire rotation not covered as part of pre-paid maintenance.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC
Amp. replaced under warranty.

As stated in the maintenance handbook tire rotation not covered as part of pre-paid maintenance.
Thanks. We're picking up the car in a couple of weeks, so I'll need to read what's covered and what's not, but I'm leaning toward getting the pre-paid maintenance.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Kindof "interesting" thread... on the brake fluid deal - 2yr fluid change is recommended by the FLUID MANUF - just to set that record straight...

Prepaid maintenance - please understand 90% of ppd maintenance fee goes upstream to Mercedes - and per Mercedes prepaid maintenance is (1) not refundable in the case you sell/trade earlier (2) if you are unfortunate to total your car in collision - remember to submit lost maintenance cost to insurance co (3) not transferable to another carand (4) YES - must be done by time - or mileage - whichever comes 1st - usually time is based on a no-more-than 13 mo calendar and by miles by a no-more-than-12,500 mile schedule - whichever comes 1st

Note - (5) ppd maintenance does give you a hedge against future/higher dealer service costs - and/or higher dealer service costs in other areas of the country

Also - before buying ppd maintenance out to 40K - best to check cost for A service - since for some models can be cheaper to buy 3-pack after you pay 1st A out-of-pocket - depends on cost of 3-pack vrs 4-pack and your dealers charge for out-of-pocket A.

On the Extended Warranty Refund Guy - from the time the correct Mileage statement is submitted to Mercedes for warranty cancellation - I would say "normal" processing time to receive refund is 6 weeks - most of that is Mercedes time to refund to the dealer - dealer cuts a check to you if warranty was paid in full - cuts check to lender if warranty was financed with the car - and that there is a blance outstanding with the lender for the car..
clarst (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
We tend to do pre-paid service, did it on the GL as well, and most definitely will do it on the AMG GLC43. These are complicated cars that require correct procedures especially with airmatic suspension, intelligent light system etc. I also want to be absolutely certain I have optimum quality parts. Over here it also includes unlimited car washes, liquids top up including adblue, loan cars (I had an SLS for the day when they spotted they booked me an C class for my GL). Sure you pay a little extra compared to an independent but come on one has just dropped a lot of cash on a new car. I want the best for it whilst I have it.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
On this topic, is there a difference between the AMG and non-AMG pre-paid plans?
I have seen posts elsewhere that there might be -in both US and UK.
I am a little suspicious that the whole MB aim of widening the "AMG" brand is to increase margins. I'd be very happy with a GLC 450 rather than the "43 AMG".
Old 11-04-2016, 08:22 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a dealer by me that will let you buy the prepaid maintenance after the first Service A. Not sure, why my dealers in my area act like you can't do that. Sounds like a good plan though.

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Kindof "interesting" thread... on the brake fluid deal - 2yr fluid change is recommended by the FLUID MANUF - just to set that record straight...

Prepaid maintenance - please understand 90% of ppd maintenance fee goes upstream to Mercedes - and per Mercedes prepaid maintenance is (1) not refundable in the case you sell/trade earlier (2) if you are unfortunate to total your car in collision - remember to submit lost maintenance cost to insurance co (3) not transferable to another carand (4) YES - must be done by time - or mileage - whichever comes 1st - usually time is based on a no-more-than 13 mo calendar and by miles by a no-more-than-12,500 mile schedule - whichever comes 1st

Note - (5) ppd maintenance does give you a hedge against future/higher dealer service costs - and/or higher dealer service costs in other areas of the country

Also - before buying ppd maintenance out to 40K - best to check cost for A service - since for some models can be cheaper to buy 3-pack after you pay 1st A out-of-pocket - depends on cost of 3-pack vrs 4-pack and your dealers charge for out-of-pocket A.

On the Extended Warranty Refund Guy - from the time the correct Mileage statement is submitted to Mercedes for warranty cancellation - I would say "normal" processing time to receive refund is 6 weeks - most of that is Mercedes time to refund to the dealer - dealer cuts a check to you if warranty was paid in full - cuts check to lender if warranty was financed with the car - and that there is a blance outstanding with the lender for the car..
speedeye (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
John Deeres, but wife has GLC43
AMG prepaid vs. non-AMG

Originally Posted by gobiman
On this topic, is there a difference between the AMG and non-AMG pre-paid plans?
I have seen posts elsewhere that there might be -in both US and UK.
I am a little suspicious that the whole MB aim of widening the "AMG" brand is to increase margins. I'd be very happy with a GLC 450 rather than the "43 AMG".
Without provoking a riot over what constitutes a "real" AMG, I'll just say there is a difference among models. Prices are in the MBUSA configurators under "Service & Care". I purchased 4/40 prepaid maintenance when I took delivery of my GLC43. Dealer finance guy initially quoted me something like $2375. I said: whoa, that's not what the USA website lists. He checked his book again (and apologized) and told me $1475, the same price as the website.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC Prepaid Maintenance and Extended Warranty