GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Beware-run flats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 250d
Originally Posted by Ian of Sydney
MO are not RFT. They are simply Mercedes approved tyres which can be ordered from most if not all major tyre retailers. Brought mine from Bob Jane Tmart. Rims were purchased from Mercedes Benz Aust.
Hi Ian,

Which tyres did you get?

cheers,
Anthony
Old 05-22-2018, 05:20 PM

GLC, Q7
Originally Posted by redrover22
Hi Ian,

Which tyres did you get?

cheers,
Anthony
Pirelli Scorpin Verde MO 235/55 R19.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
Originally Posted by Ian of Sydney
Suggest you re-read the note from Jax Tyres. They are referring to MOE tyres ( which are a type of RFT) and not MO tyres ( which are not RFT). Yes you would be right, very confusing and a common misunderstanding on this forum. If you need further convincing, just go to a major tyre retailer.
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the correction.

yep I fell down that rabbit hole...doh!

MO labelled tyres are built to MB specifications
MOE labelled tyres are MB specified tyres with Run on Flat technology.
MO1 labelled tyres are built to AMG specifications.

Simples !! ..No reason why the average punter should get confused.

So, I have assumed the following:
All GLC 220, 250 wagons are supplied with MOE tyres. Same around the world ??

Where it gets confusing is for Coupes and 43 models
Do Coupes get MO specified ??? (they are not Run Flat) ..as those vehicles were supplied with a "slime" inflation kit, at least in Aus.
The same for the rest of the world ???
What are '43 models supplied with ??

cheers
Phil.

Last edited by Citizen613; 05-23-2018 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 AM

GLC 250d
Hi All,

Ditched the Bridgestone runflats and went with Hankook K120 255 45 R20 tyres.

So far super happy. Comfortable, quiet, but more importantly I really feel like throwing the car around some corners. Tried this with the Bridgestone originally but it understeered to the point it wasn't that enjoyable, even though I could still push it pretty hard when required. As a bonus they are not crabbing around corners (yet), even in car parks. The Bridgestones at the end of their life were shocking in his respect.

The best way to describe it now is that the tyres finally feel like they are a part of the suspension, not working against it. This is why I call out this whole MOE or MO as BS based on this and previous experiences.

Looking into the Insurance issues I have found nothing that would suggest this isn't OK. From what I can see, you are only required to have a road legal tyre for your car, so long as you satisfy load and size requirements you are OK. This is what is stated in the Mercedes Agility brochure for handing back the car at the end of the lease.

Have a few lawyers at work which I can always chat to but here we are also protected under Australia consumer law.

cheers.

Last edited by redrover22; 06-01-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by redrover22
....but more importantly I really feel like throwing the car around some corners. ... The best way to describe it now is that the tyres finally feel like they are a part of the suspension, not working against it.
A common experience. People switch to non-RFT because of either the harsh ride (me) or tyre wear, but the big surprise is the greatly improved driveability. There are people here who express complete satisfaction with their RFT, but I wonder what they'd say if they could borrow a set of non-RFT for a few days. When I first got mine, I finally felt that I finally had a luxury car.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Originally Posted by bips
A common experience. People switch to non-RFT because of either the harsh ride (me) or tyre wear, but the big surprise is the greatly improved driveability. There are people here who express complete satisfaction with their RFT, but I wonder what they'd say if they could borrow a set of non-RFT for a few days. When I first got mine, I finally felt that I finally had a luxury car.
+1, I'm in the US and replaced my Pirelli Scorpion Verdes with non-RFT Goodyears the other day. The ride is much improved and the handling is still tight. No more jitters/hopping/vibration over potholes, expansion joints, manhole covers, railroad tracks and the like. Seems silly to replace such expensive tires on a car that's just 10 months old with less than 4500 miles, but I'm very glad I did.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mtberman
+1, I'm in the US and replaced my Pirelli Scorpion Verdes with non-RFT Goodyears the other day. The ride is much improved and the handling is still tight. No more jitters/hopping/vibration over potholes, expansion joints, manhole covers, railroad tracks and the like. Seems silly to replace such expensive tires on a car that's just 10 months old with less than 4500 miles, but I'm very glad I did.
Glad to hear you’re happy with your new non-RFT’s! Would you mind sharing which Goodyears you put on your GLC and the rim size? Also, without rehashing the pro and cons of RFT’s vs conventional tires, I was wondering what you threw in your trunk.....a can of goo, 12v air compressor? Like you, I only have 6,000 miles on my Pirellis but I haven’t ruled out replacing them before they wear out. While I’m mostly satisfied with the ride, particularly on the highway, let’s face it, the RFT’s can be pretty harsh around town.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
I have a 2018 with the optional 19" wheels and 235-55-19 tires. I chose Goodyear Assurance WeatherReadys. I decided on these versus a more performance-oriented tire because they're quieter, have a decent treadlife rating, and are a true all season design with a V speed rating. Like most people I picked up a bottle of sealant and a compressor for the trunk. I'll probably get a jack and spare later if I decide to keep it past the warranty.

Let's face it, replacing a nice set of Pirellis on a new car doesn't make sense. However, IMO the ride was basically ruined by the tires. A year from now I will have enjoyed a year of happy driving and the cost of doing this now will be long forgotten. It helps that I got a bit of a deal at $219 per tire with free installation.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:58 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mtberman
Let's face it, replacing a nice set of Pirellis on a new car doesn't make sense. However, IMO the ride was basically ruined by the tires. A year from now I will have enjoyed a year of happy driving and the cost of doing this now will be long forgotten. .
+1 Thanks for the info on your new tires. I completely understand and agree with your thought process. I have 18” wheels on my ‘18 GLC so, according to some things I’ve read, my ride MAY not be quite as harsh as 19” or 20” wheels. Maybe that will allow me to tough these Pirellis out until they wear out.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Vaboy

+1 Thanks for the info on your new tires. I completely understand and agree with your thought process. I have 18” wheels on my ‘18 GLC so, according to some things I’ve read, my ride MAY not be quite as harsh as 19” or 20” wheels. Maybe that will allow me to tough these Pirellis out until they wear out.
i have the pirelli18's as well. overall they are not bad, i definitely think non RFT which i am leaning towards replacing these with when time will be better, these are a bit harsh but overall vehicle feel is pretty good, espcially after i lost the 40+ psi pressur ethat the dealer left me with
hoping i get decent mileage out of them at least