GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

MBTEX Seat Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4MATIC
MBTEX Seat Wear

I've had my GLC since Jan 2016. I had to have my bottom driver seat cushion replaced because the material was pealing off. The dealership tried to tell me I poked a hole which I did not. I might have waited too long to take it in. They hesitated but replaced the seat cover for free. Two months later I am starting to see the same wearing occur. It is on the left side where I put pressure sliding in and out. I am short so I do put pressure on the seat getting in and out but this didn't happen to my Q5 at all.
I am going to take to dealer next week so they can see what is happening again. Not sure what they can do. At this rate I will be replacing the seat cover twice a year. That is ridiculous. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Christine

Old 09-24-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
warranty does not cover wear and tear. they were generous to replace your seat cover once for that issue in my opinion. If MB was to request the dealer to send that seat cover back for inspection, they would 100% charge the dealer for it, so they were certainly doing you a favor. If you are rubbing against that bolster every time you get in and out, it will show wear. It doesn't matter if it's MBTex, leather, or any material.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:36 PM

2016 GLC 300 4MATIC
I understand wear and tear if the car was several years old but a seat cushion should not show wear at 4 month intervals. It is not even a year old. Something has to be wrong. I had my Q5 5 years and had no wear issues. Got in and out in the exact same fashion. Very disappointed.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:24 PM

E300, C63
Cool go buy another vw then?
Old 09-25-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
If it is in the same spot again I'd investigate what you are wearing in the vehicle. It is highly unlikely that two covers have the same defect in the same place. But it could be.

I agree with you though, to me such damage in such a short time does not look like normal wear and tear.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250 4matic 2017 Iridium silver, with beige/brown interior.
Totally agree with you, Christine.
That kind of wear, in less than one year?!?!!
Gets me a bit concearned, since my -17 will have
the same Artico, but in silk beige colour. Especially since
I'm only 177 cm of height myself, with kind of wiener dog legs.

Naturally, this is NOT acceptable, in a Mercedes Benz, only a few months old!
Please keep us posted on the subject, as many will have the same upholstery.

Last edited by Bernadôtte; 09-25-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-25-2016, 01:55 PM

E300, C63
the last brand I worked for hired people to go on forums and make bogus complaints for competitor vehicles, but they were considerably more organic and believable than you two.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250 4matic 2017 Iridium silver, with beige/brown interior.
"You two"?

What's that's supposed to mean?
Old 09-25-2016, 02:13 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by ec_nova
the last brand I worked for hired people to go on forums and make bogus complaints for competitor vehicles, but they were considerably more organic and believable than you two.
Considering you state you work for the brand I think you are doing a pretty damn good job of that yourself

Why is every post met wit such aggression from you? What angers you so much working for Mercedes benz to have a go like you are at customers? I sincerely hope you don't behave like this at dealership you work, I know what would happen if I was met by you like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by dejongj:
Bernadôtte (09-25-2016), clarst (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 02:34 PM

E300, C63
Please explain what was aggressive? It's very clear they are trying to slander the name with bogus complaints. There are countless threads just in this section of the forum with it. Sorry I can see through BS and you can't.

It's ironic that you would call me "aggressive" then proceed to make a threat shortly after.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:28 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by ec_nova
Please explain what was aggressive? It's very clear they are trying to slander the name with bogus complaints. There are countless threads just in this section of the forum with it. Sorry I can see through BS and you can't.

It's ironic that you would call me "aggressive" then proceed to make a threat shortly after.
What threat? To take my business elsewhere? Jeez fella tone it down a few notches.
Bernadôtte (09-25-2016), clarst (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 04:25 PM

E300, C63
Tone what down? I'm sorry if you don't have basic reading and comprehension skills, but as I've said before, I haven't been "aggressive" or "toned up" so I'm not sure why you're trying to act like I'm escalating something.

"I know what I would do if I was met by you like that" and now you're pretending you were simply implying that you would take business elsewhere? Give me a break. Go troll somewhere else
Old 09-25-2016, 05:12 PM

right to be forgotten
Lol so now I'm a troll who has no basic reading and comprehension skills. Wow ec_nova your really are something.

I really hope you are not front of house at that dealership you work at. You really know how to treat people nicely. Perhaps try and see the good in people, and in the mean time read up what a passive aggressive is.
Bernadôtte (09-26-2016), Mr. J (03-26-2017)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 AMG sl43
Hey guys, doesn't an isolated incident happening TWICE in such a short time at least sound a little fishy? Quite frankly I am amazed at some posts on this forum as totally fishy. Methinks there are some truth to the fact dealership reps post negative things on here. Whether or not this one is true is highly debatable to say the least. I, for one, see negative posts from "newbies" as greatly debatable with some being hard to believe, i.e. "afraid to drive my car". So calm down and lets debate and inform on some better "stuff".
Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by FirstBenz@62
Hey guys, doesn't an isolated incident happening TWICE in such a short time at least sound a little fishy? Quite frankly I am amazed at some posts on this forum as totally fishy. Methinks there are some truth to the fact dealership reps post negative things on here. Whether or not this one is true is highly debatable to say the least. I, for one, see negative posts from "newbies" as greatly debatable with some being hard to believe, i.e. "afraid to drive my car". So calm down and lets debate and inform on some better "stuff".
I don't think this sounds fishy at all. I think Christine had a problem and started looking online for answers.
I don't see conspiracy theories here. There just isn't enough in it for "dealership reps" to post negative things. Seriously, what would they get out of it? Doesn't make sense to me.
I consider each thread on its own merits. This isn't "afraid to drive my car".

Last edited by clarst; 09-26-2016 at 12:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by clarst:
Bernadôtte (09-26-2016), dejongj (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus RX
I am wondering if you wear a lot of studded back pocketed jeans or pants? Some are even hyper decorative. That's kinda what this reminds me of because it would be highly unlikely that defective material or what have you would be defective in the exact same spot.

This said, it would be unacceptable to me for sure regardless of the reason.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:40 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by clarst
I don't think this sounds fishy at all. I think Christine had a problem and started looking online for answers.
I don't see conspiracy theories here. There just isn't enough in it for "dealership reps" to post negative things. Seriously, what would they get out of it? Doesn't make sense to me.
I consider each thread on its own merits. This isn't "afraid to drive my car".
Exactly my thoughts! Not everyone are online people that participate in forums. Most only start to look online when they have an issue to see whether others have that as well. And only then start to post and likely never post again. The OP only has two posts on the same topic, the first ended with have you got a picture. If someone isn't familiar with how these things work then sometimes finding your old post can be hard and difficult. Nothing fishy about it, and definitely doesn't warrant the reception as provided by ec_nova.

Originally Posted by Modadunn
I am wondering if you wear a lot of studded back pocketed jeans or pants? Some are even hyper decorative. That's kinda what this reminds me of because it would be highly unlikely that defective material or what have you would be defective in the exact same spot.

This said, it would be unacceptable to me for sure regardless of the reason.
I agree, something I questioned in my original response. Once can happen, but twice in the same place I would suggest to review clothing, belts or whatever as well.
The following users liked this post:
Bernadôtte (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 05:15 AM

2023 AMG sl43
I agree, something I questioned in my original response. Once can happen, but twice in the same place I would suggest to review clothing, belts or whatever as well.

I agree that this is probably the cause but the OP seemed to be blaming MB as suggesting something wrong with seat quality/durability and NOT caused by something she was wearing - that sounded fishy.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:21 AM

right to be forgotten
I wouldn't go straight to fishy, sometimes it is just human behaviour to forget the obvious answers. I remember once with seats in a Nissan Patrol getting darker and darker, it wasn't until I noticed the same was happening to my underwear that I realised it was the dye in my trousers.

Always good to approach with the best intentions until there is actually evidence of the contrary.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:30 AM

2023 AMG sl43
Sad but true, I also had the same experience with blue jeans on a light grey Corvette leather interior. Hate when that happens. Hope Christine finds a cause other than mysterious seat deterioration or else we are all doomed. LOL
Old 09-26-2016, 05:54 AM

right to be forgotten
Indeed

All though I might have other problems as I have the AMG seats

BTW on the Murano they had to replace the seat three times. So it a not unheard off. No fuss by the dealer either.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM

GLK250
MBTex - very disappointing

03-24-2017rcbaker (tried to post – kept getting activation errors - Mbworld.com forum reviewsposting is not very user friendly)
Verydisappointed in MBTex in my 2016 GLK250! Had it in my last Mercedes ML, which Iowned for 10 years, and it looked great when I traded it in. Something has changed!!!The outer side of my GLK driver’s seat has a worn spot that is now wearing intoa hole. I am a small female and do not cause any pressure on the seat as Islide in and out and I do not wear anything on my backside that would causethis problem. Mercedes said they didn't know what caused the problem sowouldn't replace under warranty. This is the first time I have been disappointedin Mercedes service and we have been long time owners of the brand. Others haveindicated they have had the same problem. Mercedes seems to have amanufacturing problem and should graciously fix it for their valued customers.Hate to see Mercedes get these negative reviews for a seat cover!!!!! Are other MB customers still having this problem with MBTex upolstery?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S

I agree that this is probably the cause but the OP seemed to be blaming MB as suggesting something wrong with seat quality/durability and NOT caused by something she was wearing - that sounded fishy.
My experience with MBTex over 40+ years of MB ownership is that it is bullet proof as far as normal wear is concerned. I have driven several MB's over 150000 miles with the seats looking new. I would also suspect something that the OP is doing inadvertently and causing damage unless MB has changed something.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well.... if you look at the MAGNIFIED SIZE of the "MB Tex issue" .. and of course it's back-pocket-abrasion of some kind on metal jean-rivets/applique's - whatever...
Old 03-26-2017, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by dejongj
I wouldn't go straight to fishy, sometimes it is just human behaviour to forget the obvious answers. I remember once with seats in a Nissan Patrol getting darker and darker, it wasn't until I noticed the same was happening to my underwear that I realised it was the dye in my trousers.

Always good to approach with the best intentions until there is actually evidence of the contrary.
Or to frame it more sarcastically, there is HL Mencken's famous quote, "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". I've had my fair share of derp moments throughout the years so I always try to keep this advice in mind.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBTEX Seat Wear