GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

snow tire for GLC300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300 4matic 2017
snow tire for GLC300

Any other options except MB dealer? The discount price is around CAD 3000 at dealer. What will happen if I put on non "run flat" tires? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Mup

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLC300
Tire rack has excellent choices. Good prices too. I just ordered a set of winter tires with wheels.

Patrick.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
I normally put winter tyres on a different set of rims. Haven't looked into that for my GLC43 yet...
Old 11-20-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
2021 GLE450
Dealers are typically way overpriced. We're going with conventional tires/non-runflats and a Slime Safety Spare repair kit. I prefer a dedicated package so I can control when to swap them. The Nokians we used on our Q5 for five winters have been stellar, so I already have 19" Hakka R2 SUV's mounted and ready to bolt on as soon as the GLC arrives.

Last edited by HotRodW; 11-20-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:20 PM

GLC 300 4matic 2017
Originally Posted by Mup
Tire rack has excellent choices. Good prices too. I just ordered a set of winter tires with wheels.

Patrick.
Thanks guys. Another question, is it ok to put 235/60/r18 tires on if the originals are 235/55/r19? Cause I usually buy tires and rims all from Costco here. But they don't have 19" rim for Mercedes.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:40 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by vibration
Thanks guys. Another question, is it ok to put 235/60/r18 tires on if the originals are 235/55/r19? Cause I usually buy tires and rims all from Costco here. But they don't have 19" rim for Mercedes.
Yes, that is the correct minus-size conversion. It appears 17" wheels will clear the calipers the base model, so you could go with 235/65/17 if you can live with the smaller wheels.

Last edited by HotRodW; 11-20-2016 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vibration (11-20-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300 SQ%5
If your buying winter tires from the dealer, go right ahead since you are already aksing to be taken for a ride. Run flats are not required. Build a set and order form tirerack and be done with it.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
My dealer will match price.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:49 PM

GLC300 SQ%5
I should have clarified, get the whole set from TR, pick a cheap alloy and have them mounted and balanced by TR. Go with altimax arctics and you can get the whole set shipped for around $1,200. Sure the dealer can match tire prices but, you will be gouged on the wheels.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I can't seem to find the snow tires for the GLC43 on TireRack.

On the GLC43, the rear tires are wider than the front ones.

Anyone knows if I can use all 4 wheels with the same size tires ?
And what is the smallest wheel that will fit the GLC43 ?
Old 11-21-2016, 03:22 PM

GLC300 SQ%5
The key is to have the diameters of all four tires equal. You can use four wheels of the same size. Typically you will go a little narrower for winter tires which in the case of the GLC43 you can get four tires that match the front tires specs.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by sszyma
The key is to have the diameters of all four tires equal. You can use four wheels of the same size. Typically you will go a little narrower for winter tires which in the case of the GLC43 you can get four tires that match the front tires specs.
I'd be careful with that personally. The GLC43 is setup for 30/70 with special AMG software for the gearbox.

I would not go to four tyres that match the front tyre specs. I'd keep it exactly the same as the setup the person that asked has got. Depending on what size wheels that could be a bit of a challenge, I know the 21" versions in the UK don't offer much choice. But for winters, I'd drop down to the equivalent of the 19" anyway, no point being on low profiles.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:36 PM

GLC300 SQ%5
Originally Posted by dejongj
I'd be careful with that personally. The GLC43 is setup for 30/70 with special AMG software for the gearbox.

I would not go to four tyres that match the front tyre specs. I'd keep it exactly the same as the setup the person that asked has got. Depending on what size wheels that could be a bit of a challenge, I know the 21" versions in the UK don't offer much choice. But for winters, I'd drop down to the equivalent of the 19" anyway, no point being on low profiles.

Torque split has nothing to do with it. Again the key is keeping the diameters the same ~29". You don't want a staggered winter setup (the rears are way to wide for proper winter traction), you also gain the ability to rotate.

This will help, tire sizing is not that difficult. Why they decided the GLC43 needs a staggered setup (other than for looks) is beyond me.
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Stock:
Front: 255/45R20
Rear: 285/40R20

Winter
Front: 255/45R20
Rear: 255/45R20

Winter 2
Front: 255/55R19
Rear: 255/55R19

Last edited by sszyma; 11-21-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
The manufacturer advice is not to go staggered with winters.
Similarly, I had an X5 with wider rears and the winter advice was to go square.
I have spent some time researching this. For the GLC 43, the recommended set up (in 19s at least) is 235/55 R19 all round. Found this on a German dealers' site and also the MB for our Canadian cousins -

http://app.tirelocator.ca/national/m.../71/model/1550

I have that size with the Pirelli Scorpion MOE tyres but not that wheel - which I don't like (and haven't seen available).
Old 11-21-2016, 04:14 PM

GLC300 SQ%5
Originally Posted by gobiman
The manufacturer advice is not to go staggered with winters.
Similarly, I had an X5 with wider rears and the winter advice was to go square.
I have spent some time researching this. For the GLC 43, the recommended set up (in 19s at least) is 235/55 R19 all round. Found this on a German dealers' site and also the MB for our Canadian cousins -

http://app.tirelocator.ca/national/m.../71/model/1550

I have that size with the Pirelli Scorpion MOE tyres but not that wheel - which I don't like (and haven't seen available).
235's even better, Scorpion Winters are Pretty good I run them on the SQ5.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:11 PM

Very very slow
Thanks guys.
Looks like 235/55/R19 is a good compromise tire size.
I personally like the Micheline X-ice tires.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:22 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by ble2716
I can't seem to find the snow tires for the GLC43 on TireRack.

On the GLC43, the rear tires are wider than the front ones.

Anyone knows if I can use all 4 wheels with the same size tires ?
And what is the smallest wheel that will fit the GLC43 ?
Tire Rack won't list the GLC43 until they can get one in and do a test fitment. Once that happens, they'll likely offer both square and staggered winter fitments. In the meantime, don't hesitate to give them a call. Just don't be surprised if they decline to sell you anything until they get their hands on a U.S. spec sample to verify all the clearances.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:23 AM
Mup

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLC300
ASA rims and Scorpion Winter tires from Tire Rack. $2,000 mounted and balanced and delivered.

I have 20" summer tires but in Chicago with the pot holes I wanted 18" winters.
Have sport package but the fit over the calipers..barely..
Attached Thumbnails snow tire for GLC300-img_0561.jpg   snow tire for GLC300-img_0562.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 10:43 AM

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Any updates on finding Winter Tires for GLC300?

In about a week my wife’s new GLC300 4MATIC should arrive, she is very excited!. As it is already below freezing here in NH, I am working hard to find a winter tire solution for her new car but it is not so simple. In the past we simply got a nice set of Nokian Hakkapiilittas and we were all set, then, with the first new car we have purchased in 8 years, I found that things have become much more complex.

When we went to buy the car, as always,I took a close look at the tire size as I want to make sure it will not cost a fortune each time they are changed and that there are lots of good options (including Snow tires) with great treadlife. The 235/60R18 seemed perfect for this and we went forward with the car in this tire size, purposely shunning the nicer looking 19” wheels, as the tires seemed more expensive and less common. Then surprise #1, cars today often don’t come with spares. So the GLC only comes with run-flats, at first I was very unhappy, but then realizing it was my wife’s car, who will call AAA rather than change a tire, I made my peace with it. However, then I find that there are very few tire options in run-flats, even at this tire size. At the time, Tire Rack actually has a Pirelli Scorpion Winter Run Flat tire in 235/60R18 that has mysteriously now disappeared. So I contacted Pirelli and they insist they are available on special order. They noted the particulars as: Pirelli part number 2729400 235/60R18 103H Scorpion Winter. They also however stated that they do not carry the MOE Mercedes designation for Mercedes certified Run Flat tires and Pirelli insisted, that though this was the case, that these tires were a proper match, they were mostly overly cautioning me that these were H-Speed rated rather than V-Speed rated and to be careful, given that this is 130MPH, my wife will never do this, the car is speed limited to 130MPH and the stock tires, likely Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasoms are also H rated, this was a non issue. This brings me to Surprise #2, the Mercedes manual also insists that you use MOE designated tires, or they are not liable for issues caused! Now not only must I get the right size in RunFlats but I also must look for this MOE designation.

So now for where I hope to get some advice on what I should do, as there seems to literally not be a Mercedes Authorised Winter tire solution for this high volume Mercedes-Benz GLC300 with the 18 inch wheels.

Option 1: Our SA insists that the stock all seasons will be fine with the 4MATIC, and we don’t need winter tires. First I will note that we have been very happy with our SA and the MB dealer in general. I did research the Snow and Ice performance on the stock tires and they do seem to do quite well, and everyone heralds the recent advances in All Season tires, allowing them to perform better in winter. This said, we have a relatively steep driveway, and in the past I feel that our Nokian Hakkas have really helped us on the driveway and elsewhere. So, what do you think about just keeping the stock tires? As they will be brand new, with lots of tread, I have even considered to wait a year and see if there are more options then.

Option 2: Mercedes now seems to offer a cold weather wheel and tire package for 18” or 19”. Does anyone know what tires come on these? It would be nice if the 18” are the Scorpion winters and MB will stand behind them even without the MOE designator, this package is $2,400 and I would consider this. For 19” I think there is actually a fully authorized solution, Continental makes a WinterContact TS850P 235/55R19 101H SSR with the MOE designator, but that wheel and tire package is $4,700 (and I don’t even know what tire it would come with), and I like having more rubber, especially on an SUV in winter.

Option 3: I could just order the 18” Pirelli Scorpion Winter and have my tire shop swap them on the rims. I have always done this in the past for our cars. Do you have any advice on doing this vs. having winter wheels (with TMPS sensors)?

Overall this is frustrating, in parts of Canada, and many parts of Europe winter tires are mandated. This is the 3rd model year of a pretty popular SUV that is going to be used in winter conditions. How can Mercedes-Benz not have a certified winter tire option for all the wheel sizes, especially the most common base model? Pirelli seems to have Scorpion Winter Run-Flats for the GLC 18”, 19”, and 20” wheels, but none with the MOE designation.

Advice from this forum on Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons, Continental CrossContact LX Sport SSR, Pirelli Scorpion Winter, or Continental WinterContact TS850P, on snow and ice would be greatly appreciated. It would also be good to hear about non-winter performance on these. I have already prepared myself for disappointment on treadlife.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 PM

2018 GLC 300 4matic
Hi NH-Bryan,

I’m no expert, but I read somewhere here on MBWorld not sure where exactly but it said having the All Season Tires doesn’t do so well winter time. Personally I like to have winter tires, so much safer in any car. Not sure if NH get very bad winter but with the weather these days you never know. I’m also not sure if your wife is the same as me, but I feel much safer having winter tires when it’s winter. Also, Maybe by the time you have to change your winter tires there would be more options on where to get them.

But I personally would pick Option 3 and I personally bought the winter wheel run flats pkg from dealer for $2899 Cdn. I thought it’s a pretty good deal.

Good luck.

NH-Bryan (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 02:35 PM

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Thank You Merciditas,

it would be great if if you could confirm that the wheel & tire package you are getting, which sounds like the same $2,400 one we see here in the US, has the Pirelli Scorpion Winter Run-Flats, or perhaps there is another option that I am unaware of.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:02 PM

2018 GLC 300 4matic
Right now all I know is that it is Pirelli Run Flats. I could find out more tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:07 PM

Very very slow

Old 11-13-2017, 11:28 PM

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Looks like the only Mercedes approved GLC Winter tire is in 19”

Thank You all for these posts.

You are correct, the only MOE Winter tires are in 19”. I am very unhappy about this, as if I would have known in advance we would have ordered the car with 19” wheels for only $500 more. I am guessing they won’t entertain this upgrade upon the cars arrival.

The Canadian winter tire and wheel packages differ from the US versions, the Canadian version is a 19” set, as has been posted. . Here we have an 18” Cold weather Tire and Wheel Package for $2,400USD but I have no clue what tire is in it. Does anyone know? I have always worried about high profile run-flats, and with the softer winter rubber compound maybe this is problematic? There is also a 19” set but it is AMG wheels for $4,700USD.

I can buy buy a set of 19” wheels for $1,960. Then I will likely need TPMS sensors and the tires. Or maybe I can get the Canadian Package? We are only a 5.5 hour drive from Montreal. I just can’t believe we are looking to up-Size for a winter tire.

Last option that I am now seriously considering is a 3rd party wheel (my wife really wants black wheels anyway, which don’t seem to be a Mercedes-Benz option). I am a little paranoid now however as the manual strongly advises against non-MOE tires, is there reason to fear a non Mercedes-Benz wheel? Any advice on this, as I do not seem to be able to match the wheel offset, I am concerned about the vehicle dynamics systems.

Thanks again, I think we are converging on a solution. Advice is again greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by NH-Bryan
Thank You all for these posts.

You are correct, the only MOE Winter tires are in 19”. I am very unhappy about this, as if I would have known in advance we would have ordered the car with 19” wheels for only $500 more. I am guessing they won’t entertain this upgrade upon the cars arrival.

The Canadian winter tire and wheel packages differ from the US versions, the Canadian version is a 19” set, as has been posted. . Here we have an 18” Cold weather Tire and Wheel Package for $2,400USD but I have no clue what tire is in it. Does anyone know? I have always worried about high profile run-flats, and with the softer winter rubber compound maybe this is problematic? There is also a 19” set but it is AMG wheels for $4,700USD.

I can buy buy a set of 19” wheels for $1,960. Then I will likely need TPMS sensors and the tires. Or maybe I can get the Canadian Package? We are only a 5.5 hour drive from Montreal. I just can’t believe we are looking to up-Size for a winter tire.

Last option that I am now seriously considering is a 3rd party wheel (my wife really wants black wheels anyway, which don’t seem to be a Mercedes-Benz option). I am a little paranoid now however as the manual strongly advises against non-MOE tires, is there reason to fear a non Mercedes-Benz wheel? Any advice on this, as I do not seem to be able to match the wheel offset, I am concerned about the vehicle dynamics systems.

Thanks again, I think we are converging on a solution. Advice is again greatly appreciated.
Me, for my GLC 300, I buy 3rd party wheel and non run flat tire for 1700$ cdn tax included on 18". The wheels is the RTX Multi satin black ( 18X7.5, 5x112, 66.6, offset 40) Tbuy from the web site pmctire,com. The tire is the Continental Winter Contact SI buy on special at Canadian Tire.
NH-Bryan (11-14-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: snow tire for GLC300