GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220d
Guys. Just got my tires replaced to Verdestein on the car purchased in June by the dealer in the UK. Did the dealer supply tirefit kit as well with those since they are not run flats ? Previously I didn't get it cause Pirelli were run flat. Thanks for reply.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ramzez
Guys. Just got my tires replaced to Verdestein on the car purchased in June by the dealer in the UK. Did the dealer supply tirefit kit as well with those since they are not run flats ? Previously I didn't get it cause Pirelli were run flat. Thanks for reply.
what does the tirefit kit consist of and how much is it from MB? is there an alternative aftermarket (i'm assuming the MB one wil be $$$)
Old 08-14-2017, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
what does the tirefit kit consist of and how much is it from MB? is there an alternative aftermarket (i'm assuming the MB one wil be $$$)
Its a 12 volt air compressor, powered via cigarette plug to inflate a tyre, The goo bottle, of sticky stuff, is connected to the air compressor and the goo is pumped into the tyre via the valve stem. It should seek out the air leak and seal the small hole. Enough for you to drive and get help, still supposedly 80Km ?
BMW, Mazda sell similar kits, with the goo bottle, so do Auto stores, "Slime" is one brand here. Goo bottles have a shelf life, Use By Date stamped on them. After market compressor and goo bottle here is around Au$80 I think.
Tyre shops hate them as goo is very hard to remove, kills the tyre, cannot be repaired with a plug; and unless tyre shop is really good, they do not clean away the goo from the alloy rim, causing rim to suffer corrosion over a period of time.
So it usually works, but with limitations and drawbacks; but like runflats.
I personally would look at buying a DynaPlug, or an off road 4x4 tyre repair/plug kit. You would still need to buy a 12V air compressor to re-inflate the plug repaired tyre.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
This is a tyre crabbing thread, rather than a tyrefit one, but even so I have a question. Teckno - you have a tyrefit kit on one of your GLCs, do you not? The coupe must have one.

I ask because I got a price from my dealer for the tyrefit kit and was quoted $AUD175 (I think this was GST inclusive). But they told me that this was just for the bottle of sealant, and the compressor was around $AUD600 (didn't get an exact price). That's quite a lot of money. They also said that you connect the tyrefit bottle to the tyre and squeeze it in, and them pump in air using a compressor to spread it around and seal the leak. If that's the case, then any compressor would do, but it's still a lot of money for a bottle of latex sealant. If you have one, what do the instructions say? Does the compressor have a fitting for the bottle? Could you attach the bottle to the tyre valve?

I'm still tempted by one of these kits because it would be a whole lot simpler in the dark or rain or beside a busy road than even the Dynaplug kit. But not if it means buying the MB compressor.

Re repairs, the general consensus (MB dealer, local tyre shop) is that a leak repaired via a slime kit can't be repaired, but a leak repaired via a tyrefit kit may be able to be, as the latex can usually be peeled off.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by bips
This is a tyre crabbing thread, rather than a tyrefit one, but even so I have a question. Teckno - you have a tyrefit kit on one of your GLCs, do you not? The coupe must have one.

I ask because I got a price from my dealer for the tyrefit kit and was quoted $AUD175 (I think this was GST inclusive). But they told me that this was just for the bottle of sealant, and the compressor was around $AUD600 (didn't get an exact price). That's quite a lot of money. They also said that you connect the tyrefit bottle to the tyre and squeeze it in, and them pump in air using a compressor to spread it around and seal the leak. If that's the case, then any compressor would do, but it's still a lot of money for a bottle of latex sealant. If you have one, what do the instructions say? Does the compressor have a fitting for the bottle? Could you attach the bottle to the tyre valve?

I'm still tempted by one of these kits because it would be a whole lot simpler in the dark or rain or beside a busy road than even the Dynaplug kit. But not if it means buying the MB compressor.

Re repairs, the general consensus (MB dealer, local tyre shop) is that a leak repaired via a slime kit can't be repaired, but a leak repaired via a tyrefit kit may be able to be, as the latex can usually be peeled off.
Hi,
I have not priced these with MB, but a very similar one is offered for Mazda cars (by Mazda) and Repco, AutoBarn sell a "slime" brand that includes the compressor and a goo bottle. Goo bottles from Repco are around $35 for a replacement from memory, Kit with all is around $90 I think.
I will check out the Coupe unit to see what the instructions are, I still think the compressor plays a part in pumping the goo through the valve hole. Its a lot of stuff to squeeze via the valve, so maybe remove valve, pump goo in then re fit valve ? guessing now. I will investigate and report back.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Photos attached for MB tirefit kit.
Goo bottle is too hard to squeeze. Photo story looks like you connect cable hose to tyre and other end to goo bottle, then slip goo bottle into receiver stock of compressor, held in by two lugs, plug compressor into 12v power and away you go pumping on goo..
I will check with car manual to see if any different.
Hope the photos help.
Attached Thumbnails Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175400_resized.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175414_resized.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175628_resized.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175651_resized.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175504_resized.jpg  

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175506_resized.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175521_resized.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175537_resized.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175548_resized.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-20170815_175606_resized.jpg  

Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM

GLC 250D
I have now read the e-manual (which I should have done previously), and you're absolutely right. I don't know what the new spare parts guy at my local dealer was smoking (old guy wasn't bad). Or the service guys either, as the spare parts guy went off to double check with one of them when I queried this.

I know that MB isn't cheap, but $AUD180 for a bottle of sealant and $AUD600 for the compressor is insane. At those prices, I'd be better off with a $100 slime kit and be prepared to trash and replace the tyre, esp as I'd have to buy a new bottle after each flat tyre anyway. Assuming that the spare parts guy is right, which is by no means certain.

Can I ask one more favour. I can see the MB parts number on the compressor. Is there a separate number on the bottle, and if so what is it?

p.s. A little research suggests that the
compressor is A000 583 8200 Q003 and the sealant is A000 583 29 12 Q001 - is that right?

Last edited by bips; 08-15-2017 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi,
A quick check on E Bay suggests there are 4 x different types of goo canisters, so possibly 3 or 4 different compressors too, due to different attachment nozzles. Price for goo is around $175 on line. Guess there will be a use by date on goo. Not sure what happens if you try and use a goo bottle that is long past its date ?
I'll look tomorrow at my part numbers and let you know. Hate to think of cost now of compressor.....
Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 PM

GLC 250D
Thanks, that would be helpful. Yes, I spent some time last night doing a search as well. There's also a lot of variation in online price. Someone in Germany seems to have the complete kit at a reasonable price, but it's far from clear that they'd ship to Oz.

The relevance of this discussion to tyre crabbing is that switching to higher profile non-RFT seems to have pretty much eliminated the little I had, but in order to do this I needed to have a way of dealing with a flat tyre. Around town that is, as I'll always carry a complete fifth wheel out of town, but I'd rather not around town. There's a question of convenience vs cost. A tirefit kit would probably be the least hassle way of getting going if the puncture is not catastrophic, but buying the kit from scratch ain't cheap, compared to a slime kit (+ new tyre), a plug kit, or a second hand ML emergency spare. So I continue to carry the fifth wheel while I cogitate.

Last edited by bips; 08-15-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: (+ new tyre)
Old 08-16-2017, 06:18 AM

Mercedes GLC 220d
Thanks, that would be helpful. Yes, I spent some time last night doing a search as well. There's also a lot of variation in online price. Someone in Germany seems to have the complete kit at a reasonable price, but it's far from clear that they'd ship to Oz.

The relevance of this discussion to tyre crabbing is that switching to higher profile non-RFT seems to have pretty much eliminated the little I had, but in order to do this I needed to have a way of dealing with a flat tyre. Around town that is, as I'll always carry a complete fifth wheel out of town, but I'd rather not around town. There's a question of convenience vs cost. A tirefit kit would probably be the least hassle way of getting going if the puncture is not catastrophic, but buying the kit from scratch ain't cheap, compared to a slime kit (+ new tyre), a plug kit, or a second hand ML emergency spare. So I continue to carry the fifth wheel while I cogitate.
that's the reason I replaced the tires not to even experience the lock issue. As per standard equipment here in UK tirefit should come as standard equipment. However I was told since I have run flat they don't include it. I raised the question with dealer who says those tires are run flat however the Verdestein emailed me saying they are not. I asked MB customer support to verify and let me know if I should get one or not. The kit is not expensive like 50 pounds here from 3rd party but I still want Mercedes to provide one since it's a brand new car
Old 08-16-2017, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that's the reason I replaced the tires not to even experience the lock issue. As per standard equipment here in UK tirefit should come as standard equipment. However I was told since I have run flat they don't include it. I raised the question with dealer who says those tires are run flat however the Verdestein emailed me saying they are not. I asked MB customer support to verify and let me know if I should get one or not. The kit is not expensive like 50 pounds here from 3rd party but I still want Mercedes to provide one since it's a brand new car
Dropped into Dealer, the goo in a Coupe on the floor was made ?? 2016 maybe and has an expiry date March 2021. Spares needed VIN to select correct package of compressor and goo. Seems MB have different sized units to fit into tight spaces in various boot designs, go figure !!
Price quoted for kit was AU$766 for compressor and goo. Not sure of goo cost, guess up to $200. Ouch.
I think I have a similar kit in the garage but made for Mazda, will look at it on the weekend.
No one at MB could say if date was best by, or use by. No idea if you could use it say 12-24 months after date. Hopefully a member here knows more re the goo and its use, characteristics, etc.
Part no of compressor is A000 583 8200 Q001, was also in boot of Coupe.
Part no of goo is A 000 583 29 12 Q001, was in Coupe too, so matched to compressor fittings

Last edited by Teckno; 08-16-2017 at 07:59 AM. Reason: forgot part
Old 08-16-2017, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Link to other Tirefit comments on this site. Interesting options.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...placement.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...nal-tires.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...inch-rims.html

Looks like some recommending can of tyre inflator with goo inside like large fly spray can.

Hopefully someone will comment on how they got on using Tirefit product.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM

GLC 250D
As per standard equipment here in UK tirefit should come as standard equipment. .... The kit is not expensive like 50 pounds here from 3rd party but I still want Mercedes to provide one since it's a brand new car
Lots of luck getting them to supply you with one for free!!! Which 3rd party kit can you buy for 50 quid? A slime kit is a lesser alternative, as you can't patch a tyre that has been slimed. Continental seem to make a latex-based tirefit kit, but it is lower capacity and the GLC tyres are just a little too big for it.

Originally Posted by Teckno
Price quoted for kit was AU$766 for compressor and goo. Not sure of goo cost, guess up to $200. Ouch.
I think I have a similar kit in the garage but made for Mazda, will look at it on the weekend.
No one at MB could say if date was best by, or use by. No idea if you could use it say 12-24 months after date.
Thanks for making those enquiries Teckno, I wasn't asking you to go to all that trouble. Those numbers gel with the $AUD600 + $AUD176 that I was quoted. I could get three of my non-RFT from Tempe Tyres for that kit price! A $100 slime kit and a new tyre twice and I'd still be slightly ahead.

Here's another question for you: the fittings on the bottle. Do they look like you could use another compressor with it? After all, my understanding is that you can use the compressor just as a compressor if you need to, so that suggests that it has a standard Schrader valve outlet which suggests that the sealant bottle would have one as the inlet connnection. If it's not straining the friendship too much, are in a position to confirm or refute this?

[This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but it's a bit hard to move it now, unless a moderator is reading this.]
Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re compressor, please have a look at earlier photos. goo bottle had yellow nozzle with 2 x o rings; that fits in side of compressor and is locked in by side fingers. The black hose in base of compressor comes out and the yellow male end with 2 x o rings fits into top of goo bottle, with the other end, brass fiting, screws onto tyre valve.
If you just need to use compressor the yellow male end clips into compressor and other end on tyre.
Michelin make two very good 12v compressors, the larger one has a higher pressure rating and running time before resting.

So the issue of tyre crabbing continues, with trying to fix that by fitting all weather tyres or fitting normal tyres and looking at 4x4 tyre repair kit, Dyna plug, Tirefit or Slime alternatives.
Your info about Continental alternative is good, maybe other tyre manuf have options too.
Just pity under floor area cannot accommodate a spare tyre, either full size or skinny mini !!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 AM

GLC 250D
Thanks. I get the idea now. In theory any compressor would work, but the fittings in and out of the bottle are non-standard. Therefore also the hose fitting to the compressor. I suspect also that they're one-way, so that the sealant doesn't leak back into the compressor.

This is the Conti kit I found, but note the maximum tyre profiles, which are slightly less than GLC specs. Pity:
https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...um=CCKV2&ID=38
Old 08-16-2017, 07:33 PM

Mercedes GLC 220d
Lots of luck getting them to supply you with one for free!!! Which 3rd party kit can you buy for 50 quid? A slime kit is a lesser alternative, as you can't patch a tyre that has been slimed. Continental seem to make a latex-based tirefit kit, but it is lower capacity and the GLC tyres are just a little too big for it.

Well, we will see. I saw this one on amazon Slime 1800330 10914 Tyre Repair Set for Automobile Tyres with Dispensor
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-16-2017, 08:10 PM

GLC 250D
Well, we will see. I saw this one on amazon Slime 1800330 10914 Tyre Repair Set for Automobile Tyres with Dispensor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003QHY0..._hynLzbZ2B20ZP
Yes, those slime kits are inexpensive, but if the tyre is repairable before using one, it won't be afterwards. Or so I'm told my my local tyre shop.

The latex-based kits like the MB Tirefit kit and the Continental kit are supposed to leave a repairable tyre still repairable. But in the case of the MB kit, the price of buying the complete kit is so outrageously expensive, that it may be cheaper to buy the slime kit and be prepared to replace the tyre. Perhaps not for a more expensive RFT, but would be the case for my non-RFT if purchased from the right tyre shop.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Mercedes GLC 220d
Yes, those slime kits are inexpensive, but if the tyre is repairable before using one, it won't be afterwards. Or so I'm told my my local tyre shop.

The latex-based kits like the MB Tirefit kit and the Continental kit are supposed to leave a repairable tyre still repairable. But in the case of the MB kit, the price of buying the complete kit is so outrageously expensive, that it may be cheaper to buy the slime kit and be prepared to replace the tyre. Perhaps not for a more expensive RFT, but would be the case for my non-RFT if purchased from the right tyre shop.
it all depends on the puncture but one thing for sure you don't need any sealant kits for run-flat tires. That's the whole point of having them.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:01 PM

GLC 250D
it all depends on the puncture but one thing for sure you don't need any sealant kits for run-flat tires. That's the whole point of having them.
To repeat a debate that we've had before on MBW, that's only true under certain situations. Get a flat more than 80kms from help and you're stranded. And a flat RFT is not always driveable, as I and a family member can both attest.

To keep this relevant to the thread, I can report that non-RFT reduced crabbing to virtually nothing on my GLC, and as well has greatly improving the ride quality and steering. However unlike RFT, for such tyres you need a strategy for coping with any flat tyre, not just those far from help.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not the answer to run flat tech, but in a few years this might be commercialized,

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...r-from-harvard

I expect the Conti-Seal is the water based tech they speak about. I wonder if MB look at this Tech to ease crabbing that seems to be developing across a number of RHD conversions for different models.
Time will tell.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Australia MB HQ continues to 'look the other way' !
UK MB at least seems to be proactive and at a $ cost seems to support its customer base.
There is another letter from MB Oz....... to an unhappy customer........ ( not me.)

Just received this email from dealer, I was expecting some kind of fix....

Re: Tyre Skip update

A number of customers have raised concerns regarding noises and/or vibrations which may have occurred relating to the front wheels of their vehicles, when manoeuvring at low speed, with the steering at full or near full lock during cold and/or wet weather days. This occurrence is commonly known as "tyre skipping".

Tyre skipping occurs due to a number of factors, more specifically:
• the properties of the tyres (because this determines their flexibility);
• the properties of the road (because this determines the friction); and
• the actions of the car (because this generates the forces).

Please be assured that tyre skipping is a comfort issue only. This characteristic does not in any way affect the safety or overall performance of the vehicle.

The tyre skipping effect becomes more pronounced when larger diameter wheels and lower profile tyres are utilised (for example, AMG) due to the flexibility of the side wall when compared to a conventional profile tyre. When further combined with a performance orientated 4MATIC all-wheel drive system and cold and/or wet weather, the tyres may make an irregular sound on the road which can be heard both inside and outside the vehicle.
That tyre skipping does not in any way affect the safety or overall performance of the vehicle.

So more discussions here in Oz, not happy.
It is strange that some customers, mainly GLC 43, seem to have been supported with new tyres, maybe at selling Dealer expense in support of their customers ?

Time will tell, bit at the moment the PR event is being lost; Maybe, just Maybe Germany will come to our rescue, or someone in UK MB will give their Aussie counterparts a friendly phone call to explain how positive, proactive support helps the Brand, both now and in the longer term, you might say long term vision over short term financial costs.

Last edited by Teckno; 08-27-2017 at 06:04 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-27-2017, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Good luck Teckno, ridiculous that MB are letting different markets deal with the same issue differently.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Just picked up my GLC43.. Came with 21inch Conti Contact Sport 5P.. No evidence of crabbing yet.. A cold morning will be the test.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes AMG
Congrats! Any photos?
The following users liked this post:
tiger_x (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by tiger_x
A cold morning will be the test.
Cold and wet. Cold alone is unlikely to do it, unless you're really unlucky and have a particularly bad case.
The following users liked this post:
tiger_x (08-28-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock