GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43AMG
Thanks; I wasn't aware of that. The MB Canada website only has 20's and 21's for the 43 and the same goes for the two online retailers I tried.

Dave
Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Just had a call from AMG customer services and my dealer is going to supply and fit the winter tyres free of charge and also store my summer ones for me.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
Philamg,
I assume by this that they mean that they will remove the tyres from the rims,
I would be a bit wary.This is only my unscientific view but having watched tyre fitters at work a few times, I'm not convinced that it is good practice to be taking tyres on/off rims on a regular basis and I'm not sure that they are designed for it. The process seems to work like a mechanical version of bike tyre levers with a degree of force applied.
I have a separate set of winter tyres on their own 19 MB rims (picked up on ebay for around £500).
If you go that route, you can always sell them on ebay at the end.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by gobiman
Philamg,
I assume by this that they mean that they will remove the tyres from the rims,
I would be a bit wary.This is only my unscientific view but having watched tyre fitters at work a few times, I'm not convinced that it is good practice to be taking tyres on/off rims on a regular basis and I'm not sure that they are designed for it. The process seems to work like a mechanical version of bike tyre levers with a degree of force applied.
I have a separate set of winter tyres on their own 19 MB rims (picked up on ebay for around £500).
If you go that route, you can always sell them on ebay at the end.

Will check with my dealer to find out what they advise, they are very good.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:59 AM

GLC43AMG
I prefer to have a mounted winter set, but tires are swapped back and forth on rims every day; sure the more you handle them, the greater chance of marks, etc. but it certainly doesn't affect the function of the rims......hundreds of thousands of vehicles get winter tires swapped on and off every year.

Dave
Old 10-14-2017, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by DPelletier
I prefer to have a mounted winter set, but tires are swapped back and forth on rims every day; sure the more you handle them, the greater chance of marks, etc. but it certainly doesn't affect the function of the rims......hundreds of thousands of vehicles get winter tires swapped on and off every year.

Dave

Thanks Dave, a bit of a rarity it happening in the UK.
The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (10-16-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC43 AMG
Hey guys!
Haven't been on here in a while, but I've noticed my 'crabbing' issue is become more and more noticable. Having a 4mo daughter now as well, I consider it a safety issue as well.

Have you guys gotten any reasonable responses from MB yet? I also notice tire wear as well as people have posted here before.

I have 19" alloys for the winter but telling users to change wheels is unacceptable!

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Nitrogen in new Goodyear 20" All season tyres. Tyres have been behaving very well. Much better than I had hoped for. Economy has not been affected. Trialing front left tyre with nitrogen seems to offer slight improvement in temp range, meaning less range, more stable, compared to remaining 3 tyres.
This may be just my imagination.
Costco were great and refilled all tyres with nitrogen for free, as we are members.
Their 'blurb' on nitrogen states " is non combustible, non corrosive and is safe. It has a larger molecule size than oxygen and helps stabilise tyre inflation pressure (I know nitrogen is basically oxygen).
Oxygen escapes from a tyre three to four times faster than nitrogen. Costco claims it maximises veh handling, fuel efficiency and tyre life.
I am just happy that pressure seems more stable and less need to adjust pressures due to loss of 'air'.
Time will tell, still monitoring 3rd party TPMS data whilst driving, both PSI and temp on all 4 tyres.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 AM

GLC43AMG
there is just enough science in the whole "nitrogen in your tires" thing to prevent it from being called BS outright......but it makes zero measureable or noticeable difference in a passenger car tire. Clean, dry compressed air kept at the proper pressure is all you need. The claims are tenuous at best; yes "it" maximizes vehicle handling, fuel effficiency and tire life......when "it" is the proper tire pressure. .....and of course the claim is that the nitrogen stays at the proper pressure longer than regular (78% Nitrogen) air....which is techically true and mostly irrelevant.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM

GLC43AMG
some reading on the nitrogen subject for those that haven't checked it out before;

https://archiveblog.gasbuddy.com/pos...32662-482.aspx

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...with-nitrogen/
The following users liked this post:
Teckno (10-17-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Well told customer services today that I wasn't having winter tyres fitted, after talking to my dealer he informed me that they would only change the tyres for free the first time, a fact that customer services didn't mention.

Have written to MB directors who signed the mail in February, will give them a few days not to reply and will then be contacting the motoring ombudsman, the saga continues.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:26 AM

GLC43AMG
Most online tire calculators won't show a 19 for the AMG because only 20" or 21" was fitted from the factory. Despite this, the 19" wheel/tire size combo from the 300 fits fine. When we purchased the vehicle, my wife insisted on the 21's so I knew we'd be ordering a winter tire/rim setup. ......Our dealer quoted the 19's for us (235/55/19 on the 19" x 8" rims with 38mm offset) but they were $4k and I could get aftermarket wheels and a set of Nokian R2 winters in the same size for less than $2,500.00 .....they should arrive tomorrow or monday.

I realize that you are looking for a free solution from MB (and rightly so IMO) but I can't be bothered to go through all the hassle. the big difference in our situations is likely that we need winters here regardless so they were always part of the plan.

Cheers,
Dave

Edit/Update; the 19" wheels do NOT fit fine on the GLC43; Just had the shop try to fit my 19x8 38mm offset wheels and they don't clear the calipers.......back to the drawing board!

Dave
Old 10-18-2017, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Edit/Update; the 19" wheels do NOT fit fine on the GLC43; Just had the shop try to fit my 19x8 38mm offset wheels and they don't clear the calipers.......back to the drawing board!

Dave
Odd as mine are 19 inch on my GLC43!.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 PM

GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by Philamg
Odd as mine are 19 inch on my GLC43!.
Sorry, I thought I'd responded since; anyhow I just got back from the dealer and the tire shop and it appears that the MB once are fine but when it comes to aftermarket rims (even ones with the exact same size and backspacing) some fit and some don't. .....of course the ones I bought didn't! .....I've ordered another set and if they fit, I'll post the manufacturer and part number in case anyone else is looking for an alternative to the expensive stock MB 19" ers.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 10-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Sorry, I thought I'd responded since; anyhow I just got back from the dealer and the tire shop and it appears that the MB once are fine but when it comes to aftermarket rims (even ones with the exact same size and backspacing) some fit and some don't. .....of course the ones I bought didn't! .....I've ordered another set and if they fit, I'll post the manufacturer and part number in case anyone else is looking for an alternative to the expensive stock MB 19" ers.
This was an issue when I purchased aftermarket wheels. I was thrown when I realised that the tyre shop had fitted tyres with a different offset to the MB ones. I queried them on this and they said it was normal for after-market. I was sceptical until this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ml#post7130658

There are a lot of wheels that fit, with a range of different offsets.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:24 PM

GLC43AMG
yeah; thought I was safe with the same offset as the stock ones but apparently not....

Dave
Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
yeah; thought I was safe with the same offset as the stock ones but apparently not....
In the process of reassuring myself that I had been supplied with the right wheels (because there was also a 38 offset version of the 19" that I bought), I learnt a lot more about wheel geometry that I ever wanted to know.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
No response (not even an acknowledgement) from the mail I sent to MB directors, form now filled in for posting to the UK motoring ombudsman to see if they can sort something out.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by Philamg
No response (not even an acknowledgement) from the mail I sent to MB directors, form now filled in for posting to the UK motoring ombudsman to see if they can sort something out.
Good luck, was hoping you were getting some resolution to 19" tyres.

We are still waiting for MB Oz to find a solution overseas for the staggered 20" rims. They could replace fronts with Goodyear All Seasons, but they would be runflats and the wider rear 20" are only in conventional tyres (Michelin Latitude 3) and not All Season. So the 'Brains Trust" within Germany and the tyre companies are still working through this issue. Uk solution seems to be Vredestien Quatac 5 series, non run flats for some rims sizing, 20" seems to get Goodyear All Season runflats and 21" (fronts) seem to have Continental Contisport ? 5 'star -BMW altn to MO' with conti seal feature. All seem to mask or totally eradicate the tyre judder/crabbing.
So the jury is still out on some tyre dimensions MB are utilising for RHD vehicles.
Again Good luck, hope your tyre issues resolved soon for you.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Teckno
Good luck, was hoping you were getting some resolution to 19" tyres.

We are still waiting for MB Oz to find a solution overseas for the staggered 20" rims. They could replace fronts with Goodyear All Seasons, but they would be runflats and the wider rear 20" are only in conventional tyres (Michelin Latitude 3) and not All Season. So the 'Brains Trust" within Germany and the tyre companies are still working through this issue. Uk solution seems to be Vredestien Quatac 5 series, non run flats for some rims sizing, 20" seems to get Goodyear All Season runflats and 21" (fronts) seem to have Continental Contisport ? 5 'star -BMW altn to MO' with conti seal feature. All seem to mask or totally eradicate the tyre judder/crabbing.
So the jury is still out on some tyre dimensions MB are utilising for RHD vehicles.
Again Good luck, hope your tyre issues resolved soon for you.

Thanks Teckno, will inform of any developements.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
Okay, weather is getting colder here in Northern Virginia and I am noticing scrubbing much more and it is much more intense when it happens. This AM pulling out of the drive (moving forward) making a left hand turn and not even close to full lock I had pretty severe "scrubbing" enough so that I had to let out of the throttle. Road was slightly damp as it had been raining all day yesterday, but it was very windy so mostly dry. Also, temperature was 46ºF, tires were at 32 and 35 psi, front and rear respectively. Seems like a touch of wet is needed to precipitate it and obviously cold tires.

Are there not other LHD GLCs that are experiencing this? My fitment are the Conti Summer Performance Tires 21" version on an 18 GLC43.

I guess, I will get back to following this thread.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 AM

GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by VET11B
Okay, weather is getting colder here in Northern Virginia and I am noticing scrubbing much more and it is much more intense when it happens. This AM pulling out of the drive (moving forward) making a left hand turn and not even close to full lock I had pretty severe "scrubbing" enough so that I had to let out of the throttle. Road was slightly damp as it had been raining all day yesterday, but it was very windy so mostly dry. Also, temperature was 46ºF, tires were at 32 and 35 psi, front and rear respectively. Seems like a touch of wet is needed to precipitate it and obviously cold tires.

Are there not other LHD GLCs that are experiencing this? My fitment are the Conti Summer Performance Tires 21" version on an 18 GLC43.

I guess, I will get back to following this thread.

As reported earlier, our brand new GLC43 is LHD and has the 21" performance tires and it exhibits the same behavior....much worse as the temps drop and road surface is wet. So far we've made the dealership aware of it and the response has been that the behaviour is normal for this vehicle/AMG/the performance wheels/tires. We continue to have "discussions" with them on it.

Dave
Old 10-30-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
So then, it's not a RHD vs LHD just that the RHD is a little more susceptible? Or is it that in the States most MB owners live in fair-weather locations?

The dealer's response seems pretty much as expected. I bet they would respond the same way about how crappy my trans shifts until it gets over 122º. Sucks that MB can't build/program a car like BMW or even Ford, because the rest of the car is pretty damn perfect for me.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:22 PM

GLC43AMG
Correct; the group sentiment seems to be that it is worse on RHD vehicles because of some differences in geometry.....I don't know as I've never driven a RHD GLC. What I can confirm (as you can attest to) is that this problem is NOT limited to RHD GLC's.

Dave
Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Oh dear it is all starting again...Mine has been pretty good on the replacement BMW tyres, but now they are nearly worn (9K miles) it is mildly coming back again...I'll have to replace the tyres myself this time due to fair wear and tear and we'll see what happens...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock