GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC 43 Jerking when accelerating after near stop.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by ajgraham
Sorry to hear you're having the issue as well. It's interesting what they said about that bulletin as the problem seemed to recede but it's still there so they might well be right and my dealer was lying (which would not surprise me at all), I think the clutch and gearbox adaptions smoothed out some of the jerkiness I was having but the core problem is still there. In one of the earlier threads OMSE mentioned about the low voltage error which we both had and is perhaps the cause. I've not looked into that as my dealer really is terrible and after my rear suspension failed at 12k miles I decided I was done with the car.

If I was in your shoes I would email the head of servicing of the dealer and explain the issues, that it's reproducible and ask when he next has 5 minutes so you can show them. If you have other Mercedes dealers near you could try going in to speak to one of the senior managers and see if they're more cooperative. The problem I find having dealt with numerous service people is they don't care whether the issue is resolved, they're happy to get the technician to do the bare minimum and tell you it's fixed so finding the right manager to oversee the process is critical. Getting them to check fault codes for the low-voltage error seems to be the only commonality found so far.

I'm due to collect my BMW X5M in the next week but I'd be interested in hearing what happens with this and contributing where ever possible.
I thought you had the problem solved. I'm sorry to hear that wasn't truly the case.

Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure what direction I'll go. My dealer still has my car. My service advisor called me this past Friday to let me know that they're working with Mercedes technicians to troubleshoot the issue. God only knows if that's true or if they're just blowing smoke up my *** to make me think they're really working the issue.

An X5M, eh? Nice!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 GLC43
The work they did helped to improve most of the jerkiness and harsh gear changes, but there was still a fundamental issue in certain circumstances. I should have pushed more to resolve it but I really disliked my local dealer.

The nuclear option is potentially lemon lawing it, but don't know if/how this applies in different states. How bad is the issue you're seeing? Is it all gear changes in Sport+ or just the issue with lower speed coasting and then accelerating? If it's all the time then the clutch/gearbox adaptions can help a lot, but the downside is the car will feel a little slower (but smoother).
Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC43 AMG Coupe
Quick update. After back and forth with the dealer for almost two months, having my car for more than a month, changing the electronic chip and changing the entire gearbox. The problem wasn’t solved so I asked to speak to a service manager. He called me today to inform me that they have found the issue and it will be solved permanently. According to him it’s a faulty torque converter. They will replace it and I will have my car ready by Thursday.
will keep you posted.
The following 3 users liked this post by OMSE:
ajgraham (08-15-2018), FrostyZoob (08-15-2018), smirnov.tk (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by OMSE
Quick update. After back and forth with the dealer for almost two months, having my car for more than a month, changing the electronic chip and changing the entire gearbox. The problem wasn’t solved so I asked to speak to a service manager. He called me today to inform me that they have found the issue and it will be solved permanently. According to him it’s a faulty torque converter. They will replace it and I will have my car ready by Thursday.
will keep you posted.
any update on this?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC43 AMG Coupe
after replacing the torque converter the jerking stop however I’m experiencing a hard downshifting between the 3rd and 2nd gear. dealer ask me to bring my car again on Monday and it gets worst by time.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
after replacing the torque converter the jerking stop however I’m experiencing a hard downshifting between the 3rd and 2nd gear. dealer ask me to bring my car again on Monday and it gets worst by time.
GLC300W4, i got rif of the jerking by getting the updated transmission software but then after this was done if found the downshift from 3 to 2 is not ideal - its almost like you can feel the downshift / rpm increase a little bitt. i have had loaners and they feel similar unfortunately. dealer of course says its normal.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC220D, E250 W212
Originally Posted by ajgraham
Sorry to hear you're having the issue as well. It's interesting what they said about that bulletin as the problem seemed to recede but it's still there so they might well be right and my dealer was lying (which would not surprise me at all), I think the clutch and gearbox adaptions smoothed out some of the jerkiness I was having but the core problem is still there. In one of the earlier threads OMSE mentioned about the low voltage error which we both had and is perhaps the cause. I've not looked into that as my dealer really is terrible and after my rear suspension failed at 12k miles I decided I was done with the car.

If I was in your shoes I would email the head of servicing of the dealer and explain the issues, that it's reproducible and ask when he next has 5 minutes so you can show them. If you have other Mercedes dealers near you could try going in to speak to one of the senior managers and see if they're more cooperative. The problem I find having dealt with numerous service people is they don't care whether the issue is resolved, they're happy to get the technician to do the bare minimum and tell you it's fixed so finding the right manager to oversee the process is critical. Getting them to check fault codes for the low-voltage error seems to be the only commonality found so far.

I'm due to collect my BMW X5M in the next week but I'd be interested in hearing what happens with this and contributing where ever possible.
I have got a 2016 GLC 220D 4matic edition 1(means this is an import made in Germany) done 30k Km and I have reported and demonstrated 2 issues to the service dealer. Bucking issue, I was test driving the gear jerking issue and on the second turn got this issue. I instinctively pulled back my foot, so it was just enough for them to feel it.
Gear jerking issue, I am able to reproduce the issue 3 out of 5 times . Put in sport+ manual mode, accelerate till 7th gear, slow down so that the downshift occurs automatically. From 4th to 3rd there is a thud and vibration during gear change.
They have done the adaptation update, the gear changes are smoother but the issue persists. I had the brake issue, battery failure, component failures and I escalated all this. They are in process to change transmission and torque converter. A lemon is what I seem to have got. Unfortunately no lemon laws in India, but Daimler seems receptive to our concerns...
Old 03-30-2019, 01:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Transmission software update done on mine a couple of days ago. Huge improvement on the smoothness of all gear shifts. It feels like a different car.. The 9G is a learning box, so if you are manually downshifting for engine breaking, the box will remember this and automatically do this for you, thats what ive found with mine.. When i first picked up the car, it didnt automatically downshift when i slowed down to come to a stop. Its only since i have been manually downshifting it has remembered this. I expect if i clear the memory the auto downshifting wouldnt occur.. For those that dont like the jerky downshifting, maybe reset the box and start the learning process again..
Old 09-29-2019, 01:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe (2017)
Picked up our 2018 GLC 43 AMG today and had this violent jolting happen twice.

Has the issue been solved? Is it the faulty torque converter? Want to bring this into the dealer ASAP.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe (2017)

will keep you posted.
When the replaced the torque converter did this solve the issue?

As well, I see you mentioned there are now harder downshifts from 3 to 2. Is this only in sport mode and is it really bad to the point you would have rather left the faulty torque converter?

I’m wondering if it’s worth bringing mine in to have the dealer look at as well and change the torque converter.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
I'm surprised that over the years no one mentioned this. My plain jane GLC 300 does this. If in any sport mode, the transmission shifts to 1 when almost stopped causing a jerking feel. It's getting ready to haul you know what again. Watch the gear indicator in the central display. Even in D the car shows you the gear you are in - well, it did for the 2018 model anyhow. It's clearly shifting into 1 when it should be staying in 2 - but this is due to the sport shift map. In Eco or Comfort it never drops to 1, stays in 2 and starts from 2.

It's annoying enough that I only switch to sport mode when I know I'm going to have some other driver trying to cut in or have to maneuver through stuff post haste.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:58 PM

mb glc 43 coupe
crake nose

Originally Posted by MercedesRat
First of all, thank you to everyone on this forum for helping me decide to buy my glc 43 last month! I've been reading this forum everyday and I love my new car (except for this one issue ).

It doesn't happen every time but occasionally when I am slowing down for a red light and the light goes green before I stop and I try to accelerate my glc 43 starts jerking until I take my foot off the gas for a few seconds. This is more likely to happen if I have the car in sport or sport + however it has happened even in comfort (I never put it in eco!).

I never had this issue on my glk 350 and my partner doesn't have it on her GLC 300. Does anyone know what this might be? I plan to take it in to Mercedes and ask but I'd rather not go in completely ignorant. Thank you!!!
I never had any of this kind of jerk with my SLK 300, but with this GLC 43 COUPE it happened few times then they update my software it's quiet now. i had another problem which is occasionally happened; during slow turn in to parking or back off from parking, it's kind of crack noise. take it to my dealer but they can't reproduce....so just forget it. I am wondering to trade in for GLE 53 or Audi......!
Old 12-20-2020, 07:04 PM

mb glc 43 coupe
DURING my GLC 43 COUPE IN slow motion, or back off from my garage, it's crack noise, occasionally.
I never had this issue on my SLK 300 . Does anyone know what this might be? I plan to take it in to Mercedes and ask but I'd rather not go in completely ignorant. Thank you!!!
THIS noise make me wonder to make another purchase of GLE 53 COUPE....! MY acura RDX without any nose after 5 years' driving....
Old 01-17-2024, 12:22 PM

2016 SL400, 2015 S550, 2017 GLC43AMG
Can you please provide more information on the "update" the dealer did? What year is your GLC43AMG? Is the update a Mercedes L.I. topic, TSB, or what? Please post the update here, or a link to it, or a photo of the document. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2024, 12:25 PM

Can you please provide more information on the software update you told us about? Can you post a picture of the document? I looked in Alldata and don't see any kind of a software update. If you have a L.I. #, TSB #, or whatever form it came in, I'd really appreciate you posting it. OH, if you have your Mercedes dealer repair invoice, please post a photo of the part of the invoice that deals with the technicians notes. It will say what he did. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2024, 12:30 PM

Can you kindly post a photo of the part of the closed out repair invoice that shows the diagnosis and fix for this on your car. I drive the same model, and mine does the same thing. I need so ammo to go back into my Mercedes dealership. You say they are replacing the torque converter on yours.Thanks!
Old 01-17-2024, 12:36 PM

What year(s) GLC43 is that L.I. applicable to please? Can you post a photo of the L.I.?