GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Keys locked inside car. How is this possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLC 300
Angry Keys locked inside car. How is this possible?

I own a 2016 GLC 300 and locked two keys inside the car. I will spare the details of how this happened. My question (and frustration) is how this is possible? I would think the technology for a MB would be better and not allow this to happen. Can anyone explain this?
The following 2 users liked this post by KCClass2016:
Aesb (08-21-2023), glutz (01-17-2024)
Old 08-05-2019, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Well it should be difficult to lock the keys in the car but I'm guessing the rear hatch was involved!
Why not share the details as only you know instead of asking us!

Shouldn't be a problem anyway as car can be remotely unlocked.
I personally keep my spare key in the car so in the event of losing key when away from home I won't be stuck.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by KCClass2016
I own a 2016 GLC 300 and locked two keys inside the car. I will spare the details of how this happened. My question (and frustration) is how this is possible? I would think the technology for a MB would be better and not allow this to happen. Can anyone explain this?
☝️Doesn't make sense but your Mercedes Me App will unlock your doors.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Had the same thing happen on our 2015 GLK. Can't reproduce the problem, dealer finds no faults.

Had to use another car to drive home to get the spare key.

Really?
The following users liked this post:
value car sales (12-31-2023)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
I own a 2016 GLC 300 and locked two keys inside the car. I will spare the details of how this happened. My question (and frustration) is how this is possible?
Not helpful, if you do not share the sequence of events.!!
The manual states these warnings:
- if the key-fob is located in the boot (trunk ) section of the vehicle, it may not be detected
- if the key-fob is co-located with other metal objects it may not be detected.
- if the key-fob battery is depleted, it will not be detected
- if the key-fob is de-activated (double-press the lock button), it will not be detected.

Which one applies in your situation??
Old 08-06-2019, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
I did this two weeks ago. Had my keys in my backpack, threw it in the trunk hit the lock/close combo button... nothing. hit it over and over still nothing. Hit close hatch button and it closed.

Punchline is the car was locked when I opened the hatch so it resumed the lock state afterwards. Ugh.

Thankfully the Mercedes App let me back in - and thankfully I had it setup and on my phone and my phone was in my pocket not my bag.

At the end of the day, some things have to allow locking a key inside. Someone must have a need to do that when giving a manual key or spare to another person. I don't know. But watching many car auctions I see that the cars have the keys inside and some are locked. (SHRUG)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
I believe you can still call MB to unlock car too. I was able to do that years ago with BMW
Old 08-06-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 250d AMG pack
HI All,
In relation to those discussions ,is the GLC lock all doors if we walk away with keyfob in hand ,or can we program the car do it that way? I tried It did not lock . My son's Audi once you walk away ,car locked itself as you can hear locking.
Cheers
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLC 300
Originally Posted by Citizen613
Not helpful, if you do not share the sequence of events.!!
The manual states these warnings:
- if the key-fob is located in the boot (trunk ) section of the vehicle, it may not be detected
- if the key-fob is co-located with other metal objects it may not be detected.
- if the key-fob battery is depleted, it will not be detected
- if the key-fob is de-activated (double-press the lock button), it will not be detected.

Which one applies in your situation??
Thanks for your reply. Both of the key fobs were in the cabin. Neither one was close to metal. One key fob battery was just replaced and I do not know the status of the battery strength for the second key fob.

The sequence of events was as follows: I put some items in the trunk, closed it using the close button (not the lock button), then I opened the driver side passenger door, put some items on the backseat and closed the door. The entire car locked up with two key Fobs in the cabin.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
...The sequence of events was as follows: I put some items in the trunk, closed it using the close button (not the lock button), then I opened the driver side passenger door, put some items on the backseat and closed the door. The entire car locked up with two key Fobs in the cabin.
Thanks for the update.

Hmmm ..doesn't make sense. As I understand it ..or there is something missing in the facts of the scenario. Or unless there has been some change in the computer logic or some differences with North American models as opposed to Australian models. Though I have quoted details above from the US PDF version of the operating manual.

The only time that I have noted that my vehicle will 'self lock' is when I have either pressed the key-fob unlock button or touched the door handle unlock sensor BUT have not opened a door. The vehicle will wait a number of mins ...maybe 2 or 3 , and then return to the locked condition. If I DO open a door, this sequence is negated.

In your situation, the vehicle was not in a locked condition before your placed items in the luggage area, therefore the only condition that will cause a lock is a direct command from the door handle sensors or a button press from the key-fob or if ME app is operating, then from the ME app on your phone (this function is not available in Australia)

Sure you did not inadvertently brush against a door handle sensor ??? …. but this would only command a 'lock' if both key-fobs were not detected ….so not possible as stated unless key-fobs were inactive..

After you recovered the vehicle does both key-fobs work as per design ???

Answer to earlier post re: Does the GLC lock after moving away from the vehicle with the kye-fob >>>>>> No ..you must actively lock the vehicle, door sensor or key-fob.

Have you been able to replicate this scenario (with one key-fob ...have the 2nd deactivated and in your hand) ???? if replicable ……..off to Service Dept we go !!!
Old 02-12-2021, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gl
they wont be able to unlock if in garage it blocks the signal just happened to me
mikapen (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,188 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Mary Wylie
they wont be able to unlock if in garage it blocks the signal just happened to me
Sometimes it takes a long time for the app to find the car - more if it's in a steel building. It took about 5 minutes for mine to lock once in a metal building.
Did it finally "see" the car and open?
Old 02-12-2021, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300, Porsche Carrera S
Happened to me a few months ago on my 2020 GLC. Key fob and cell phone inside and when closing door I touched the sensor 👋🏻. Was surprised and mad that locking was possible with key inside! Lucky for me I was home. MB fix this!
Old 02-12-2021, 07:55 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
It doesn't do that for me... I guess a few have bugs or something?
Old 02-15-2021, 09:03 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
I remember about 6 years ago, I bought a new XC-90 , after just getting it to the house. when I got out I manually locked the door with both keys in the car. I called the dealer and he told me to call the Volvo service number. A guy came out and used the balloon device to spread the metal window frame open and then opened the door. What a Dip Sh_ _ , I felt like.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:46 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
They should get a system that ensures locking in is not possible...
Old 02-16-2021, 08:05 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by ParjAS
They should get a system that ensures locking in is not possible...
its already available, keep key in pocket.....

being the car has push button start, no need to even take key out of pocket, I can unlock the car, start the car, lock the car, and key is always in my pocket

Hasn’t failed me yet.

The following 2 users liked this post by GateKeeper:
Bayside2000 (01-15-2024), jimbobboy (02-16-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLA 200D
I had this yesterday. Put the dog on the back seat, handbag with keys in on the floor. Closed the back door went to open the front door and nothing the whole car was locked.
Phone in car so couldn’t use Mercedes Me to unlock. Called MB from another phone to see if they could remotely unlock- nope although they did say “oh that should never of happened!”
waited 45 mins for the spare key to be delivered.

And guess what can’t bloody recreate the scenario so clearly a glitch as the week before I forgot the keys were in the car and it wouldn’t let me lock it 🤦‍♀️

sort it out MB
enduro963 (09-26-2021)
Old 07-31-2023, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220
Keys locked 3 year old daughter in car with keys and phone

This has happened three times to my GLC 220. Twice with my daughter inside and once last week whilst removing a table from the boot, my keys were placed in the boot while i removed the item, suddenly the boot automatically closed itself with the keys, my phone and handbag all inside and locked me out.
I'm currntly at mercedes having it looked at as its become a real saftey issue.
both key fobs have new battery's. not placed with other metal objects (except other keys on the fob, and surely this cant effect it)
When I used another phone to call the Mercedes 24 hour urgent care line they also said 'oh this shouldn't happen' but were unable to help unlock the car. Managed to get a lift home and back with my spare key.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:28 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Melatsource
This has happened three times to my GLC 220. Twice with my daughter inside and once last week whilst removing a table from the boot, my keys were placed in the boot while i removed the item, suddenly the boot automatically closed itself with the keys, my phone and handbag all inside and locked me out.
I'm currntly at mercedes having it looked at as its become a real saftey issue.
both key fobs have new battery's. not placed with other metal objects (except other keys on the fob, and surely this cant effect it)
When I used another phone to call the Mercedes 24 hour urgent care line they also said 'oh this shouldn't happen' but were unable to help unlock the car. Managed to get a lift home and back with my spare key.
If the vehicle is locked and the boot is open, you can close the boot and the car won't look for the keys in the car since you are not actually "locking" the car. Also, "boot suddenly closed by itself" could have been the sensor underneath detecting your foot underneath. I've discovered that my dog likes to run underneath and have the boot lid close on my head at random times. He looks like he laughs and is enjoying causing that :-/....

This scenario is akin to popping the trunk of a car (any brand) while the car is locked, throwing your fob in the trunk and closing the lid - it'll let you do it I'm sure.

- Eric
mikapen (07-31-2023)
Old 01-11-2024, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2018 E400
Ugh, all the time

Bought a 2018 E400, only came with one fob, months later started my car with phone and key inside to warm up and locked. Had to call MercedesMe and took numerous attempts but finally worked. Happened again, my husband put app on his phone but since we live in a rural area with touch and go signals, again, tool numerous attempts. Mercedes wants close to 1k for extra fob. You can purchase used fobs but again, no one can program but Mercedes. So now looking at buying a blank valet or the emergency key that's inside the fob to see if any one can cut. Having one hell of a time. Love my car but absolutely hate the MercedesMe app, the customer service and the monopoly on parts, programming, etc.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2018 E400
Originally Posted by decorily
Well it should be difficult to lock the keys in the car but I'm guessing the rear hatch was involved!
Why not share the details as only you know instead of asking us!

Shouldn't be a problem anyway as car can be remotely unlocked.
I personally keep my spare key in the car so in the event of losing key when away from home I won't be stuck.
Never once did my use my truck area when this happens over and over and when I only have the one fob that came with my car, it is especially frustrating. Along with MercedesMe not always working as we are in a more romote/rural setting (another frustrating issue). I finally did a ton of research. Found that key4.com made blank, mechanical/valet keys for MB, spoke with my small town key/locksmith and thot what do I have to lose as the blanks were maybe $2. Got the keys, he cut and was so damn pleased they worked!! Didn't have to spend $90 plus bucks on one mechanical key from MB and have a background check. Hope this helps others as it has tremendously helped me.