GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Cannot Activate Collision Prevention Assist Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300

The above youTube video discusses the Collision Prevention Assist Plus. As they say in the video, the "collision prevention assist" part uses forward-looking radar to notify the driver of an imminent collision. The "plus" part is autonomous braking if the driver does not respond in time.
I believe the Brake Assist System (BAS) Plus is where it applies the correct amount of braking when the driver starts applying the brakes. In other words, it doesn't want to slam the brakes on needlessly so you get hit from behind.

Pre-Safe Predictive Occupant Protection System: When it senses accidents, it will pre-tension seatbelts, close the sunroof (yes, you read that correctly), and I believe I read somewhere that it will make a loud pulse over the speakers to somehow protect your hearing?

As far as Allan being concerned of the system not working, wouldn't you get a message on your instrument cluster if it wasn't operational?

Good thread...
Old 01-07-2021, 01:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
Thread 'bump'

Still very confusing. Even after reading all the posts. I recently hit a pedestrian (she is just fine - thank God) because of what I believe was a sensor failure. I have the 997 package (CPA+, Distronic+, BAS+ w/cross traffic assist, Attention Assist, Pre-Safe+, ABSA, ALKA). Right turn at a corner, maybe 2 mph, foot just off the brake pedal, not on acceleration pedal yet, Distronic off.

Shouldn't my car have autonomously braked?
Old 01-07-2021, 09:34 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by cyber3d
Thread 'bump'

Still very confusing. Even after reading all the posts. I recently hit a pedestrian (she is just fine - thank God) because of what I believe was a sensor failure. I have the 997 package (CPA+, Distronic+, BAS+ w/cross traffic assist, Attention Assist, Pre-Safe+, ABSA, ALKA). Right turn at a corner, maybe 2 mph, foot just off the brake pedal, not on acceleration pedal yet, Distronic off.

Shouldn't my car have autonomously braked?
First of all, glad everyone is OK. This happened to MT on their SUVOTY testing to their GLC. Dirty sensor apparently. Also, not sure, I don't think braking is on a 2 mph.
The following users liked this post:
cyber3d (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 06:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
Based on your description, I do not believe that they system would have automatically braked your vehicle. The manual needs to be read closely including all the "Warning boxes". The system activates at 4 mph or above and it uses both radar and camera (must be clean). The manual indicates the Active Brake Assist with Cross Traffic does not react when cornering. As well, it may not identify moving pedestrians.
The following users liked this post:
cyber3d (01-08-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 02:04 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by Tylbran
Based on your description, I do not believe that they system would have automatically braked your vehicle. The manual needs to be read closely including all the "Warning boxes". The system activates at 4 mph or above and it uses both radar and camera (must be clean). The manual indicates the Active Brake Assist with Cross Traffic does not react when cornering. As well, it may not identify moving pedestrians.
There's your answer cyber3d
Old 09-21-2021, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes Glb
Hi

Originally Posted by Allanf6
I have never been able to activate Collision Prevention Assist Plus (CPA+) on my 2016 4Matic GLC. CPA+ is supposed to be a standard safety/security feature but when I attempt to activate Collision Prevention Assist Plus, Collision Prevention does not appear as an option under the DriveAssist submenu. PRE-SAFE Brake, Blind Spot Assist, ATTENTION ASSIST, and Lane Keeping Assist are listed under the DriveAssist submenu but not Collision Prevention. The dealer claims this is because I have 997 Driver Assistance Package but this sounds bizarre to have me spend extra for the Driver Assistance Package and then not have CPA+. Is anyone with the Driver Assistance Package able to activate CPA+?
Thank you!
then it doesn’t have it. If it doesn’t appear it means that it doesn’t have the features.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes Glb
Previous vehicle

Originally Posted by GSOTXL
OK....this topic was very interesting, because Collision Prevention Assist Plus is a standard feature, and I also ordered my GLC with 997 Driver Assitance Package.

I have never once gotten any alert nor any emergency braking for any imminent collision, though I have tried to fake one VERY CAREFULLY different times to see if my car responds...nothing.

When I had one of my services done, I asked about this and the SA said that usually people complain that the CPAP is too sensitive and it annoys them and they haven't heard someone complain that it never activates ---they said maybe I am just a very good driver.

So after checking out Jeff's (dieseldoc) replies, I checked the GLC Owners Manual and sure enough it says it's automatically activated at ignition and gives instructions how to deactivate it and what that will look like.

So I went to my car and went to the Settings and Drivers Assitance services, and sure enough....Collision (or Collision Prevention) is not listed. I could not find any way to deactivate it (and I would not want to, anyway) but this makes me wonder if it's even actually installed in my car.

Looks like I have another reason to visit my friendly neighbourhood MB service dept to have it checked out.
My 2017 Mercedes CLA 250 has it and at time it made stops like if I was going to hit on something. Or beeps as well. I it’s annoying. I do turned off. I know that the new car has it as well but so far it has not made this scary brakes.