GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC vs GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 BMW 135i
GLC vs GLE

Hello! This is my first post on MBWORLD. I'm a BMW guy myself (drive a 135i), but I'm not here for me. My Mother is looking for an SUV to replace her 435i. So far, I've looked at the GLC, GLE, and Macan S. When building the GLC and GLE on the configurator, the first thing I noticed is no nappa leather on the GLE; I found this to be odd because it is the higher-end model. Maybe the GLC is a newer model than the GLE, making it a bit more revised? Anyway, the car doesn't need to carry a lot of people, it just needs a good trunk. MSRP can be up to 65k, and don't even think about recommending the GLE43 (she has a problem with speeding as it is)! What are key differences, when were they last updated, and when are they due for a redesign? Any comparisons to the Macan/Macan S from anyone on here? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts
2015 GLK350 & 2020 C300
GLE for north American Market is assembled here (which is both good and bad), hence why the leather option is not offered?

X253 GLC won't be revised for another few years. W116 GLE is transition to the old W166 ML, so a more drastic change will arrive soon.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
The GLE is the biggest of the three cars you mentioned and it's due for a change soon.
The Macan has smallest trunk/boot space but it drives really good.
The GLC has decent trunk space and drives well.
Since she's not carrying any/much passenger then she can always fold down the rear seats for more space.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
It all comes down to what you define as needing a good trunk. We downsized from the GLS to the GLC and are not left wanting for space inside. But your mileage may vary.

We didn't go for the GLE as effectively it is larger on the outside but I didn't find it larger on the inside. Also (and this is subjective) I think it looks really dated unless going for something like a GLE Coupe AMG

However.....
The build quality and refinement is most definitely better in the GLE. It is quieter, feels more solid, less rattles etc. In every which was it feels like it can encounter any terrain whilst the GLC just simply doesn't provide that same experience. I thought it was because I was used to our GLS, however when I had a loan GLE the other day it was clear how it is a class above in quality.

The Macan is nice, but to us the boot was too small. I wouldn't do that to my Labrador retriever. Also my children, yes a 14 year old girl, was complaining about headroom in the back. I like it, and think the interior quality is definitely up from the GLC, but space wise to us it didn't make sense. But again it may be different for you.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
GLE for north American Market is assembled here (which is both good and bad), hence why the leather option is not offered?

X253 GLC won't be revised for another few years. W116 GLE is transition to the old W166 ML, so a more drastic change will arrive soon.
Would go for the GLC. Almost as roomy as the GLE. All GLEs for the entire world market are built in the USA. Build quality is ok. Build quality better on the GLC.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Build quality is ok. Build quality better on the GLC.
Seriously?
Try and open and close a door on both, totally different experience on the GLE
Listen to the cover for the sunroof and compare the two; the GLC is decidedly flimsy
To me it is the same with the feel of the buttons/switches etc through out the car
Sound proofing is another big area, much quieter in the GLE
And so on....
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by B00STED
Hello! This is my first post on MBWORLD. I'm a BMW guy myself (drive a 135i), but I'm not here for me. My Mother is looking for an SUV to replace her 435i. So far, I've looked at the GLC, GLE, and Macan S. When building the GLC and GLE on the configurator, the first thing I noticed is no nappa leather on the GLE; I found this to be odd because it is the higher-end model. Maybe the GLC is a newer model than the GLE, making it a bit more revised? Anyway, the car doesn't need to carry a lot of people, it just needs a good trunk. MSRP can be up to 65k, and don't even think about recommending the GLE43 (she has a problem with speeding as it is)! What are key differences, when were they last updated, and when are they due for a redesign? Any comparisons to the Macan/Macan S from anyone on here? Thanks!
The Macan S is much faster and sportier than the GLE43. It is very closely matched with the GLC43. If the 43 models are too sporty then the Macan S definitely is.

Get her a GLC 300 with all the safety tech and her preferred options. It's plenty quick enough, very safe for the driver, and has good ergonomics for ingress/egress which is an important consideration for older folks. The ride will be much more compliant than a 435 but being an SUV means that there is going to be a lot more noticeable body roll in cornering vs the 435.

If your mom is the Little Old Lady from Pasadena she may not be happy with the less sporty characteristics of an SUV. The GLC 43 reduces the body roll with the clever use of airsuspension. But the GLC43 is also very sporty and may break your budget. A fully loaded GLC300 will come in well under your budget before you negotiate any discount.

Last edited by Mr. J; 04-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
I would also compare the maintenance costs between the Mercedes and the Porsche. There may be a significant difference from year 2 through year 5.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts
2015 GLK350 & 2020 C300
Would go for the GLC. Almost as roomy as the GLE. All GLEs for the entire world market are built in the USA. Build quality is ok. Build quality better on the GLC.
According to this statement from Mercedes benz India the ML was made in India. So within reason we can assume the GLE is also assembled there. Other sources say the GLE is assembled there and Indonesia, but does not provide sources.

You should also consider a Cayenne. that would be more on par with a GLE. I would personally go with a GLC because of the size and cost.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
GLE built all over place according to this:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=where+ar...edes+gle+built
Old 04-06-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
GLC
You've posted your question in the GLC forum so you may, subconsciously at least, already have your answer.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
I test drove both however the GLE felt like a truck to me unlike the GLC. Test drove the Audi Q5(but that was out of contention when i found out that a new model was coming for 2018 which the sales rep supposedly did not know). The BMW X5 was nice however, there too many of those on the road. The same for the RX 350.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Philamg
GLE built all over place according to this:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=where+ar...edes+gle+built
Cars built in India, Thailand, and Indonesia are for local markets. Same is true for Mercedes vehicles built in China. If you purchase a GLE in the EU or U.K. It came from the USA
Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 PM

2008 BMW 135i
Wow! Lots of responses already on this thread. It seems the GLE is out of the question now because of your responses. As I was configuring the GLC on the Mercedes site, I noticed something odd (maybe a glitch): when selecting nappa leather on the GLC 300, I could not select heated+vented seats, nor could I select the heated steering wheel. Maybe the nappa is not compatible with ventilation? I also couldn't select the leather seating package. I also see that some of you say the Macan S is sportier than the 43 AMG. This may be the case, but when we test drove the Macan S, it seemed sporty. The 43 AMG looks more racy to me. She says that she doesn't want the performance of her 435i in her next vehicle but her driving does not reflect that haha. Can anyone here comment on how the 43 AMG drives?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... Boosted... what was your opinion on the GLC vrs GLE for your mother when you drove each one ? Did you want to look/drive the difference between 4matic or RWD for each model - or you don't care either way about that ?

1) the "Configurator" is a web tool that allows consumers to see the range/variety of options/features that may be available

2) for the "Final Word" on availability and compatibility of options requires use of the NetStar configure tool by a MB dealer dude..

Let's get some clarity for you on each model:

3) As of today 2017 GLE350W4's - built in Vance regardless of what the Crk-Smoking-Conspiracy-Theorisst yak about - in genrally "good" supply can be built to your exact spec/choice with factory changeable build dates avail from 2nd decade May thru 1st decade June - based on available slot's your local dealer has that they can secure . After that production 2018 model year starts - with 2018 model release "maybe" end-July - more likely mid-August

4) 2017 GLC300W4's - produced in Germany - tight availability - all production slots are locked down thru May 30 - after which production will changeover to model yr 2018 - with 18"s "maybe" US release end-July/early-Aug

Dealers have Order Guides for 2018 models now - although final/final prices will not be announced until late May - assume MSRP's 2017-2018 models "approx same".

GLC = built on E-Class chassis - lot's of value (Motor Tren SUV of the year) - can be optioned out with the top MB safety systems

GLE - built on W166 chassis - as compared to Denali - a whole lot cheaper - and frankly to my customers quietest/smoothest/very-easy-driver - yes - 2019 model yr changeover to next gen

Have fun with it...
Old 04-07-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
The GLE sold in China is also imported from the US but the GLC sold in China is assembled here.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Although a little dated, some additional food (nibbles) for thought:

http://mercedesblog.com/is-the-merce...-than-the-gle/

Considering the GLC's incorporation of the E-Class chassis and other bits of E-Class technology, for those "value" buyers the GLC is the cheapest E-Class money can buy.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:45 AM

2008 BMW 135i
All good info! I plan on going to an MB dealer tomorrow but it seems like dealers don't order any GLCs with Nappa? I looked at 6 or 7 dealers and I couldn't find a single one.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All good info! I plan on going to an MB dealer tomorrow but it seems like dealers don't order any GLCs with Nappa? I looked at 6 or 7 dealers and I couldn't find a single one.
The regular leather is really nice on the GLC. I have it in Espresso Brown. Looks great. Many people get MB Tex. Holds up very well.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:03 PM

2008 BMW 135i
The regular leather is really nice on the GLC. I have it in Espresso Brown. Looks great. Many people get MB Tex. Holds up very well.
The GLC's base price allows for a bit of splurging with her budget. Reg leather or MB-Tex might end up being the choice just because of their comparative durability to nappa.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:11 PM

2008 BMW 135i
Also, why are there CPO/used vehicles for sale with single digit miles? I was looking at the used GLCs to see if any had nappa and so many of the cars have barely more than delivery miles.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I suggest you drive a GLC - after you see if it's the right fit for you/Mother - your internet research will have a direction.

To answer your latest question - a GLC will be delivered to the dealer - logged into that dealer's inventory - and if turned over to loaner service for 3-6 months - and when that GLC comes back out for CPO inventory - many dealer website systems will auto post the vehicle delivery miles - and not have the accurate miles from loaner service.

That happens not only with MB brand - but other luxury brands as well - where the web feeding dealer tool has a unintended "hole-in-the-head"...
Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 PM

2008 BMW 135i
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I suggest you drive a GLC - after you see if it's the right fit for you/Mother - your internet research will have a direction.

To answer your latest question - a GLC will be delivered to the dealer - logged into that dealer's inventory - and if turned over to loaner service for 3-6 months - and when that GLC comes back out for CPO inventory - many dealer website systems will auto post the vehicle delivery miles - and not have the accurate miles from loaner service.

That happens not only with MB brand - but other luxury brands as well - where the web feeding dealer tool has a unintended "hole-in-the-head"...
Let me ask you this before I go tomorrow: is the GLC43 so much better than the 300 that it would be a must buy after driving? I know I said it was off the table before, but she might want the faster one in the end. She won't be buying a car until her 435i is less underwater or even (a few months), so there is plenty of time to think on it.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 300 and 43 are very different vehicles. The 43 is a little hot rod. The 300 is very stayed. Depends on what she wants.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 43
Let me ask you this before I go tomorrow: is the GLC43 so much better than the 300 that it would be a must buy after driving? I know I said it was off the table before, but she might want the faster one in the end. She won't be buying a car until her 435i is less underwater or even (a few months), so there is plenty of time to think on it.
I would have gotten the 300 if there were around with all the bells and whistles I wanted but the ones available were pretty bare. To me the 300 ride is a bit smoother than the 43 even when the 43 is in comfort mode. It may have more to do with the 20" runflats compared to the 19's that were on the 300 but when I took out the 43 I couldn't get the smile off of my face. An SUV shouldn't be this quick or handle this well....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC vs GLE