GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC v GLC Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023-E350 4Matic
GLC v GLC Coupe

Hello all - New to MB World & Forums. Wife and I have had three E sedans, but considering moving to an SUV - just the two of us, as opposed to another E. Very impressed with the looks of the GLC Coupe. Any pointers? Also considering European Delivery in late-September.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 753 Likes on 734 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to X253 forum...
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by ORCoast
Hello all - New to MB World & Forums. Wife and I have had three E sedans, but considering moving to an SUV - just the two of us, as opposed to another E. Very impressed with the looks of the GLC Coupe. Any pointers? Also considering European Delivery in late-September.
The coupe has less usable cargo space due to the rear roofline, is about 130lbs heavier, and has the similar handling characteristics as the SUV. The Coupe-u-vee is also priced higher than the SUV although it is optioned a little differently.

Personally, I think the coupe-u-vees are ugly but that just my personal opinion. I'll admit that the GLC is not nearly as bloated looking as the GLE coupe. The GLE coupe is truly hideous.
The following users liked this post:
Bernadôtte (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
I'm a little biased but for me the coupe was a way to get a bit more utility than my accord coupe, adding an extra set of doors and a hatch. I don't need the full utility of an SUV and I like the look of sloping rooflines, so that's where the GLC coupe came in.

In the US there is a significant price difference, but some of that is due to more features that are standard, which I would have added anyway. The rest is due to the fact that any manufacturer that adds the coupe label is going to charge more.

Completely understand how polarizing the style is, so it's definitely a love it or hate it. As far as compared to the GLE, I think the GLC coupe looks much better due to the proportions. In that class I prefer the look of the BMW X6, but I prefer the GLC coupe compared to the X4.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
MB GLC300 4matic Coupe
Having driven SUV's and the GLC then the Coupe I preferred the Coupe for a couple reasons....found it has less body roll in the corners, the steering ratio is tighter, love the diamond grill, prefer the rear window as there is no need for a wiper and that means in bad weather conditions no dirty rear window all the time...which drives me crazy. I for one love the style...to me it just look mean...
Old 04-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
Everyone has their own opinion, and what someone says here shouldn't sway your decision. Get what YOU think is best.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by bellermb
Having driven SUV's and the GLC then the Coupe I preferred the Coupe for a couple reasons....found it has less body roll in the corners, the steering ratio is tighter, love the diamond grill, prefer the rear window as there is no need for a wiper and that means in bad weather conditions no dirty rear window all the time...which drives me crazy. I for one love the style...to me it just look mean...
This totally confuses me; it is heavier, yet has the same suspension and you find it has less body roll???? Are you honestly comparing the same vehicles?

Likewise the steering ratio is tighter? Really.....
Old 04-14-2017, 10:10 PM

MB GLC300 4matic Coupe
Originally Posted by dejongj
This totally confuses me; it is heavier, yet has the same suspension and you find it has less body roll???? Are you honestly comparing the same vehicles?

Likewise the steering ratio is tighter? Really.....
As quoted from an article:

The Coupe gets a slightly quicker steering ratio than the SUV (15.1:1 vs. 16:1.1), new bushings, and other parts to contribute to livelier handling. As you'd expect, its software calibration has also been adjusted accordingly, steering is admirably sharp and body roll is minimal.

Having driven both for a substantial time I would concur with those remarks...but this is only my opinion and if I still had a young family the SUV would be my choice as it was when I did.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:53 AM

right to be forgotten
As quoted from an article:

The Coupe gets a slightly quicker steering ratio than the SUV (15.1:1 vs. 16:1.1), new bushings, and other parts to contribute to livelier handling. As you'd expect, its software calibration has also been adjusted accordingly, steering is admirably sharp and body roll is minimal.

Having driven both for a substantial time I would concur with those remarks...but this is only my opinion and if I still had a young family the SUV would be my choice as it was when I did.
Weird how Mercedes themselves make no such distinction in any of their documentation. Who wrote that article?

With all the crabbing issues there has been a lot of focus regarding the steering and suspect. Never did any of the dealers nor Mercedes hq highlight any such differences.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
Well I hope that's not the case since I made the assumption that they were the same and was only able to test drive the coupe due to nonexistent inventory of the SUV.

Mercedes does note that the SUV has a tighter turning circle than the Coupe: 38.7 vs 39.7
Old 04-15-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by VET11B
Well I hope that's not the case since I made the assumption that they were the same and was only able to test drive the coupe due to nonexistent inventory of the SUV.

Mercedes does note that the SUV has a tighter turning circle than the Coupe: 38.7 vs 39.7
Fwiw I had a GLC Coupe loaner when my GLC300 was in for service, and I could detect no difference in ride, steering, nor handling. And I was actively looking for it. Just normal driving, of course, so I couldn't guarantee there isn't a subtle difference, but if there is, it's very subtle.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:27 PM

MB GLC300 4matic Coupe

Steering ratio has nothing to do with the turning circle...the coupe is longer thus the circle larger.

Steering ratio refers to the ratio between the turn of the steering wheel (in degrees) and the turn of the wheels (in degrees). So the smaller the ratio the quicker the vehicle responds thus the difference between the Coupe and SUV and Mercedes intention for this style of vehicle goes beyond putting different sheet metal on the same underpinnings....
Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 PM

Fwiw I had a GLC Coupe loaner when my GLC300 was in for service, and I could detect no difference in ride, steering, nor handling. And I was actively looking for it. Just normal driving, of course, so I couldn't guarantee there isn't a subtle difference, but if there is, it's very subtle.
Good to know, thanks.

Last edited by VET11B; 04-15-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:00 PM

MB GLC300 4matic Coupe
Weird how Mercedes themselves make no such distinction in any of their documentation. Who wrote that article?

With all the crabbing issues there has been a lot of focus regarding the steering and suspect. Never did any of the dealers nor Mercedes hq highlight any such differences.
Here is one of many articles commenting on the suspension on the Coupe vs SUV:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/06/2...-drive-review/

Has there been any complaints from Coupe owners about crabbing? I know I don't experience it but I have a left hand drive with the 19" AS MOExtended tires....
Old 04-15-2017, 01:01 PM

Steering ratio has nothing to do with the turning circle...the coupe is longer thus the circle larger.

Steering ratio refers to the ratio between the turn of the steering wheel (in degrees) and the turn of the wheels (in degrees). So the smaller the ratio the quicker the vehicle responds thus the difference between the Coupe and SUV and Mercedes intention for this style of vehicle goes beyond putting different sheet metal on the same underpinnings....
Yup. Just was noting it since I saw the difference when looking for the ratios, but that is interesting on the longer. I thought they were identical outside of the styling. Perhaps that is just because I never entertained the notion of buying a coupe so I never dug into it.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:05 PM

Longer? Just checked MBUSA and they're showing the same specs between cars. Also, overall length is not going to affect the turning circle, but wheelbase would. What I am seeing is that the front track is wider on the coupe, which would change lots of things like handling and turning radius.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Weird how Mercedes themselves make no such distinction in any of their documentation.

Perhaps you are of the mindset of the 43 models and not the "normal" GLCs? That's what my initial reaction was to that. Therefore, the 43s have the same underpinnings (except front track looks different), but to make the coupe sportier feeling they spruced up the "normal" coupe with something between the "normal" SUV and the 43 variants?
Old 04-15-2017, 01:13 PM

MB GLC300 4matic Coupe
Longer? Just checked MBUSA and they're showing the same specs between cars. Also, overall length is not going to affect the turning circle, but wheelbase would. What I am seeing is that the front track is wider on the coupe, which would change lots of things like handling and turning radius.

Yes thanks for the correction that is what I meant to state....I need to learn to multitask...
Old 04-15-2017, 04:28 PM

right to be forgotten
Here is one of many articles commenting on the suspension on the Coupe vs SUV:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/06/2...-drive-review/

Has there been any complaints from Coupe owners about crabbing? I know I don't experience it but I have a left hand drive with the 19" AS MOExtended tires....
Oh gosh yes - some owners have been provided refunds. The problems are exactly the same as in the SUV model. There is no distinction other than the body shape.

Perhaps you are of the mindset of the 43 models and not the "normal" GLCs? That's what my initial reaction was to that. Therefore, the 43s have the same underpinnings (except front track looks different), but to make the coupe sportier feeling they spruced up the "normal" coupe with something between the "normal" SUV and the 43 variants?
Could be possible, still there is no such evidence that I've seen from Mercedes themselves...
Old 04-15-2017, 11:23 PM

MB GLC300 4matic Coupe
Oh gosh yes - some owners have been provided refunds. The problems are exactly the same as in the SUV model. There is no distinction other than the body shape.

Could be possible, still there is no such evidence that I've seen from Mercedes themselves...
So fill me in a little...is the crabbing issue a right hand drive only problem? And if so how is it that Mercedes engineers could not duplicate the left hand design without this issue....
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 AM

right to be forgotten
So fill me in a little...is the crabbing issue a right hand drive only problem? And if so how is it that Mercedes engineers could not duplicate the left hand design without this issue....
When you look underneath your car it will become clear. But effectively due to a lack of place the steering on a RHD car, Mercedes decided to move it forwards. This has an adverse impact on the Ackerman principle. In addition the planetary gears in the transfer box were reduced from a double to a single. We suspect other RHD vs LHD changes as well but aren't sure about the impact since all cars are affected; what I mean is that more RHD vehicles have a 30-70 bias on the driveline than LHD vehicles.

Let's just say that a group of us got more intimate with these vehicles than we wanted with investigations with Mercedes HQ. But differences between the coupe and SUV never came into the equation, nor conversation. It would be interesting if there was, but I can't find any evidence from Mercedes saying that. You'd have thought they shout it off the roofs if they've 'improved' the handling of the coupe wouldn't you?
Old 04-16-2017, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 127 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Two GLc's in household, 1x Coupe, 1xWagon

Interesting read, thanks for all the comments.
We are in Australia, so RHD units, My GLC wagon travelled 29000km so far since Feb 16. We have had and still have crabbing issues with left front tyre, running runflats. Wheel rotation and alignment each 10,000km seems to assist with wear and crabbing, but it still comes back to haunt us !!
The Coupe has only done 1000km since Feb 17 and id driven primarily by wife, it has normal tyres on it, not runflats.
Crabbing to date minimal, but we are watching tyre wear. Other half states steering not as accurate of precise as wagon, when parking in work parking slot, Coupe is more 'difficult' to get in and out, not vision issue, just steering. I have not sensed this yet, but steering is a little different. That said, my wagon has steel springs and they hate speed humps, feels like shocks bang through bonnet if too much speed on crossing - Coupe has air suspension and is a delight to traverse same speed humps.
Other than that, yes Coupe is more expensive, no rear window wiper, miss that a lot. Front windscreen states Acoustic glass, Wagon does not, but same product code. No antenna wires in front windscreen in Coupe, not sure where they are relocated to ??? Car much better without side steps to get in and out. I will be removing my side steps, look nice, just not functional. Rear tyres on Coupe wider than front tyres ( fronts same size as wagon tyres). Can of goo and air compressor in Coupe, still no spare or jack. Love the look of Coupe, star grill and two tone black and red seats.
I will try and spend more time looking to identify any other differences.
Love both cars, just Coupe bit sportier looking, but will not admit it to wife... !! lol.
dejongj (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 127 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Compare 250d in Oz.

Hopefully this link to the Australian GLC 250D versions of wagon and Coupe will highlight differences over here.

http://www.carshowroom.com.au/compar...LK3,AA000GALH6

Cheers
dejongj (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:54 AM

right to be forgotten
Again no such difference as aforementioned...
Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 PM

MB GLC300 4matic Coupe
When you look underneath your car it will become clear. But effectively due to a lack of place the steering on a RHD car, Mercedes decided to move it forwards. This has an adverse impact on the Ackerman principle. In addition the planetary gears in the transfer box were reduced from a double to a single. We suspect other RHD vs LHD changes as well but aren't sure about the impact since all cars are affected; what I mean is that more RHD vehicles have a 30-70 bias on the driveline than LHD vehicles.

Let's just say that a group of us got more intimate with these vehicles than we wanted with investigations with Mercedes HQ. But differences between the coupe and SUV never came into the equation, nor conversation. It would be interesting if there was, but I can't find any evidence from Mercedes saying that. You'd have thought they shout it off the roofs if they've 'improved' the handling of the coupe wouldn't you?
Well I researched it some more and found you videos of the issues as well as the site where a lot of people are posting their displeasure...all I can say or offer is if this were happening to me Mercedes could have the car back that really is total BS to put up with....the engineers should all be fired to actually release a car this way and call it acceptable....