Partially loaded GLC vs. Fully loaded NX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC300
Partially loaded GLC vs. Fully loaded NX

Hi everyone,

I have had this dilemma for quite a while and thought I would ask on this forum. I have a budget of ~$60k CAD and am looking for a compact SUV, mostly for myself (I am a single in my 20s with no kids).
I have test driven both NX and GLC. I prioritize safety and really hope to add all the safety features. I plan to keep the car for 5-6 years.

In terms of GLC:

Pros:
- Drive: the drive was quite fun. I felt planted and the car cornered very well. It was an engaging ride. I liked the ride better than NX.
- Styling: the styling is more conservative and likely more timeless
- Safety: lots of standard safety features which are important to me.
- Interior: looks very modern and classy.
Cons:
- PRICE: Right now, the one I am looking at is $60k CAD (out the door price) and it does not have memory seats, power adjustable steering column (it's manual lol), and keyless entry. It has a keyless start button, but does not have keyless entry. It also lacks parking sensors (but has rear view camera) and heated steering wheel. In order to add all these, I would have to pay 3k extra. I could pay for it, but I feel like I am falling into the automaker's tactic and I will likely have to wait for the car for a long time.
- ?reliability: MB is not known to be very reliable.. or at least costly to maintain. Having said that, GLC was among top 10 reliable vehicles according to Consumer Report and the predecessor GLK was quite reliable. I am not sure what the long-term reliability would be for this model.

In terms of NX:
Pros:
- Price: with 2018 refresh coming in, I think I have the leverage to lower the price. I saw that some Canadians were able to get fully loaded F-sport for around $55k out-the-door
- Interior space: It's quite comfortable in the back
- Styling: the F-sport model looks quite sporty and liked the "young" feeling, especially with the red seats.
- "Perceived" reliability: People always suggest that Lexus is reliable... despite the fact that the turbo engine has not been proven in terms of long-term reliability, but it is what it is.
Cons:
- Styling: May go out of date in a while.. especially with the aggressive styling
- Relative lack of power: the engine took a while to really keep going... felt a little bit lethargic. There was a disconnect between styling and the power (the car's not as aggressive as it looks)
- Rear visibility: rear visibility was not so great when I test drove twice.
- Multimedia: navigation system is similar to what my parents' 09 RX had... lol.

All in all, while I do enjoy the ride of GLC better, I am mostly concerned about its price and lack of options. I know the above options are not "necessary" for a safe daily ride, but I just feel like a $60k car should have them...
Some people tell me that it's better to get a lowly optioned car with better re-sale value and less concern about break-down in the long-term...

Just wondering what your thoughts might be on this...

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hi from Oz, Land Down Under.
We had the same dilemma, not sure of pricing differences between continents.
Purchased GLC wagon and 12 months later a GLC Coupe. We got a loaded GLC.
The NX we drove was nice, bit too narrow in seating, not happy with erratic cruise control, gallops away on decents and under load up hills tended to hunt for a gear in auto. Top of range LED headlights in GLC kill average LED lights in NX. Found adaptive cruise control in NX shut down at 100kph in driving rain with poor visability, seems a 'safety feature', not impressed. Lexus has excellent quality, we owned an RX before buying GLC.
So far 30,000Km in my wagon, diesel, excellent drive, economy. Had one issue, dealer fixed after 2nd visit, but gave me loan car each time. Capped price servicing for first 3 years ok. We like HUD, memory seats, adaptive cruise control, etc. Auto parking works ok.
Hope this helps.
Good luck. At the end of the day both good brands and service.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:03 AM

2017 GLC300
Thanks for your reply!
It appears that only partially loaded GLC without some of the "basic" luxury features (e.g. heated steering wheel, keyless entry) is more expensive than a fully loaded NX...
I'm wondering if GLC is worth the premium even after letting go of the options. Perhaps it has to do with... better engine/chassis?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Cars are not in the same league. NX is a fancy RAV4. Would go for the Mercedes.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 GLC 300
If you want reliability and good resale value go with Lexus. Lexus is making some good improvements to the 2018 NX. Better interior finishes and re-working the suspension. Plus they are now including the safety package on all NX's. They are still using that tired 6 speed tranny from what I can tell which is why it seems to lack power. Torque steer if you don't get all wheel drive.

I like my GLC as the interior was night and day compared with the NX. Plus no upgrade to the stereo available on the NX. Reliability is not as good with Mercedes and resale value is lower. I only buy loaded cars, what's the point of compromising when you intend to keep it for several years.

I did shop both cars before purchasing the GLC. I had a hard time with the color of the interior and the cheap finishes of the NX. The GLC is forcing Lexus to up their game. The GLC was more money but I felt I was getting my money's worth. Even if I do spend more time at the Dealership for repairs.

Good Luck.

Last edited by MITCH1975; 05-17-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Ahhhhhh the ultimate question -- a Rav4 or a Mercedes GLC.... (just kidding)...

I'm curious what kind of replies you may get on the Lexus forums. My personal and extremely biased opinion? -- The GLC.

The only experience I have with Lexus is with an older 2014 IS 350 F Sport. I quickly learned the "F Sport" tag of the name is a joke. The car does look nice and aggressive, but had the same engine as everything else and the steering was, as with many Toyotas... absolute slop.

I honestly think that reliability will be on par between both vehicles. Disclaimer - this is by no means a "professional" opinion.

I love the interior of GLC and my previous Lexus doesn't even compare. It honestly felt like a Toyota not long after my purchase. Is the premium cost to the Lexus worth it? Well in my opinion yes, that's why I'm getting the GLC. But I suppose it comes down to opportunity cost and (if you rank your pros and cons list in order of importance to you) what the best fit for you is in terms of potential sacrifices.

I hope you find the answer you are seeking and make the purchase that is best suited for you.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 PM

2017 GLC300
Indeed the GLC is very nice and I really like the way it drives (compared to NX). For me, it's just that there are many options that are unavailable to me due to my budget for the GLC. These are not absolutely necessary for everyday drive (memory seats, heated steering wheel, keyless entry, heated rear seats, parking sensors, etc.). My potential build currently includes Premium package (power tailgate, COMAND with nav, panoramic sunroof, ambient lighting, rear camera) and intelligent light package.

I keep going back and forth; one day, I would say these are not necessary and I can live without them. Another day, I would torture myself thinking that these are a must on a luxury vehicle lol.

People on the Lexus forum are all recommending NX (any surprises? haha) based on reliability, but I am not sure if this has to do with "perceived" reliability vs. a real one, as Lexus parts seem to cost just as much.

Last edited by confusedd; 05-17-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by confusedd
Indeed the GLC is very nice and I really like the way it drives (compared to NX). For me, it's just that there are many options that are unavailable to me due to my budget for the GLC. These are not absolutely necessary for everyday drive (memory seats, heated steering wheel, keyless entry, heated rear seats, parking sensors, etc.). My potential build currently includes Premium package (power tailgate, COMAND with nav, panoramic sunroof, ambient lighting, rear camera) and intelligent light package.

I keep going back and forth; one day, I would say these are not necessary and I can live without them. Another day, I would torture myself thinking that these are a must on a luxury vehicle lol.

People on the Lexus forum are all recommending NX (any surprises? haha) based on reliability, but I am not sure if this has to do with "perceived" reliability vs. a real one, as Lexus parts seem to cost just as much.
I think we all are bias. Lexus makes a good car. I really like my two Mercedes and my Audi. I have owned lots of cars. Get what you like and can afford. My current Mercedes cars have been very reliable. No complaints. The GLC is fantastic.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
I think you're a bit too hung up on the options and you should focus more on what you need at minimum to be satisfied and whether you value driving experience over options.

My first car was a brand new 2008 C300 Sport (half paid for by myself), and I bought it without options because we needed a new car and were on a budget, so that was the compromise with my dad. Granted, I would have liked nav and heated seats (or a C63 instead :p), but I loved the car a LOT nonetheless and still always enjoyed driving it until I eventually switched up.

Maybe consider a fully loaded C300 4Matic instead? Should be about that price so you won't have the options dilemma.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
I leased a fully loaded NX 2 years ago...I kept it a year, and traded it for the GLC300 last year. I prefer the GLC. Will I lease another GLC...not so sure. I have had issues. I've owned Japanese vehicles over the last 30 years, and this is my first German vehicle since the 70s.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 PM

2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Both are luxury cars, and both will come at a premium, even when it comes to servicing the Lexus. My Lexus was no cheaper to service than previous German's I've owned. I even had some issues with my Lexus which pushed me to get rid of it sooner rather than later. It's an argument that is going to come down to personal preference. Like I said earlier, I don't know if reliability is going to be vastly different between the two.. especially if your time horizon for the vehicle is ~5-6 years (which I guess is an eternity to some in modern day car talk).

I guess it comes down to... better driving feel or a couple more options that you aren't sure you will use. Does the vehicle you drive now have all of these options? Can you not live without them? Oh the questions and trade-offs of car buying
Old 05-18-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
I also looked hard at NX vs GLC. What really I couldn't get past was the input device for the multimedia system, ie the trackpad. The GLC wheel is sublime vs trackpad (which I've turned off). And GLC to me seems more bank vault solid than the NX....my 2 cents.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:28 PM

2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Have you tried the Audi or Acura forums for a more unbiased opinion? LOL
Old 05-20-2017, 04:11 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
The GLC had the silky smooth 9 speed auto gearbox. I believe the Lexus NX has a CVT.

Personally I dislike CVT's they make the vehicle feel like it is powered by rubber bands.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:33 AM

2017 GLC300
Originally Posted by Penn
The GLC had the silky smooth 9 speed auto gearbox. I believe the Lexus NX has a CVT.

Personally I dislike CVT's they make the vehicle feel like it is powered by rubber bands.
I think the NX 200t has 6 speed auto gearbox while the hybrid has CVT.
I've decided on the GLC, as I can live without those options lol. Maybe I will pay a lot more if it breaks down but I like the vehicle too much lol.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Good decision Confused.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by Philamg
Good decision Confused.
Congratulations Confused.
We selected GLC over NX and very happy, but we loaded it, with goodies as it will be a keeper, at this stage !!!
Cheers from the Land Down Under.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats
Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 PM

2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Originally Posted by confusedd
I think the NX 200t has 6 speed auto gearbox while the hybrid has CVT.
I've decided on the GLC, as I can live without those options lol. Maybe I will pay a lot more if it breaks down but I like the vehicle too much lol.
Mayyyyybe. All that maintenance on my Lexus was by no means cheap. I know they say "it is practically a Toyota" -- that's only so true. Either way. Congrats on your decision. Come back with pics when you get it!!