GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Garmin Map Pilot most recent version?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
Garmin Map Pilot most recent version?

I was curious about the most recent map version for Garmin Map Pilot. The MB dealer who put in the Garmin Map Pilot claimed that they added the most recent Garmin version when I picked up my 2017 GLC 300 early this June.

I have the following info in Garmin under “Settings”:

Device Info
- Software version 28.18
- Other info n5 A V1

My Maps
- 2015/2016 (v5.0) N America

Does this indicate that I have the most recent map update?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well.. there are two different "Yes" answers here.

1) Dealer did install the most recent Garmin SD that is available to dealers

2) Owner's can upgrade their Garmin SD card online - and newest version is 8.1 - using a USB SD card read/writer to your PC/Mac - thru this website:

https://shop.mercedes-benz.com/dcp/s...map-pilot.html

3) Key tips on the online upgrade:

a) view the instructions 1st

b) hook up reader - and have SD card in it - before you run MB Download Manager

c) use the option - Backup Data - which will be offered before you download/install new version before you download/install the upgrade

d) be prepared for a 45min/1hr process on solid internet connection - do NOT pause - and do NOT stop during the process

Keep the beat !
The following users liked this post:
gusman1 (07-30-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 PM

GLC 300
fabbrisd1

Thanks for your very helpful response.

Unfortunately, when I clicked on the page to download the Mac version of the Download Manager, I received the text message “The Download Manager is not currently available for Mac OS X. Please use the Windows version instead.”

As I only have a Mac without Windows, I will try the library to see if I could use one of their PCs for the download.

Also, good to know that you need a fast connection for the download. I have an old 3G connection (hesitant to give it up because it is on an old unlimited data plan) and that is not always reliable, so the library may be the best choice.

I have an old SD to USB converter from my old camera that used SD cards, so hopefully that should work.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC300
Problems with update

Thanks fabbrisd1 for the update link. Both the dealer and M-B customer service could not give me any update info. But my attempt to update my SD card of V5.2 made it inoperable.

First, after 3% download complete, the download manger (DM) crashed. After restarting, it took 9 hrs to complete the download on wired 7.5 Mbps connection. Then it won't load the files to card. After restarting the DM, it finished 3 hrs later stating the upgrade was successful. When I insert the SD card in the SUV, it will not recognize it. The DM will not recognize the card either. The Win file manager shows files on the disk under Gramin folder.

Can someone offer any suggestions on how to resurrect the card? Thanks for your assistance.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
I am currently trying to get an update on my SD card. The update is 575mb, and I have gotten as high as 540mb, then the download manager crashes - sometimes freezing the whole computer. Here is my experience that might help:
My original sd card had 2015/2016 (v5.0) North America, Software V1.2, SW 25.18, Build 15/2400. Size was 12.65 GB.
I checked several months ago for updates and found that there was an update. To 2016 (V6.0) North America, Software V6.1, SW 33.30, 16/37.00, E66.2. Size was 13.51 GB. Before updating I saved a copy per the download manager instructions in case I needed to restore it. The download went like gusman1 describes -stopping, then restarting several times. Eventually I got it to download. It took about 2 hrs (I have 175mbps speed). When I inserted it into the car sd card slot I could not get much of anything. I discussed this on another thread. You might look for that thread. I then tried to restore the old version, but it was locked out for some reason and I thought I had bricked it. I went back into the download manager and tried to do the upgrade. This time I stayed at the computer and it did not stop during the download. I put it in the car and Eureka! it worked.
I decided I was not going to remove it ever again until 2 days ago when I turn on Navi and a message comes up that says to eject the sd card and verify it is unlocked. I did this, but I still keep getting the same message. So, back to the download manager I went and discovered that there is a new update to the software :V8.1, SW 37.15, 17/02.00, E70.2. The size was 575mb. I have been working on getting this update installed for 2 days now and I can not get anywhere because the download manager keeps crashing. MB GET THIS DAMNED THING FIXED!! There, I feel better now.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:04 PM

GLC 300
gusman1 and mtnhntr

Thanks for the warnings. I think I am going to wait and update the maps when I take my car in for the one year service. I can live with what I have until then.

Does anyone know the cost of updating the maps and software after the 60 day free-update period is over?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:59 PM

2017 GLC300
Thanks mtnhntr for your insight into the update issues. The software downloaded was V8.1 SW37,15,17/02.00, E70.2 (575 MB). Map was 2017 (V8.1) N. America (18.87 GB).

Couple of questions: I did backup the card using the download manger (DM), but how do I find it now? Since my SD card is not recognized by the DM now, it doesn't give me the restore option. Can I copy it to another SD card using Win 10? Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
gusman1, that is interesting that there is a map update also. When I put my card in to the download manager it only listed a software update. My map is V6.0.
The back up is via the dm as is the restore. If you can not get the dm to recognize your sd card, I think you might be sol. On mine, the dm recognizes my card and shows the version on the card, then states if there is an update. I just can't get the update to complete.
I called Mercedes customer care today and may have been better off to talk to the wall. The dm, under the help button, infers that you can contact MB and it shows you what you need to have (a bunch of numbers you get off the dm site), but is does'nt say who exactly to contact.
Good luck in getting it all worked out.

Blue ridge, I did my 1st update within 60 days. I am now out 5 months and still am able to get the dm to recognize and list an update for mine. I suppose that could be why it won't complete the download but I would not think so.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Not to stir the pot - but my last download 3 days ago took 28 minutes from start-to-finish updating a 5.2 to 8.1 including:

1, Downloading/installing recommended update Adobe Air which comes to attention when opening Download Manager - after download of update Adobe Air - Download Manager needs to be closed - and PC rebooted

2. Including download/installing updated Download Manager to new/updated

3. Backup of card data

4. Download/self-install of 8.1 - which showed no progress after 27% download - I let it "run" - and after 5-7 minutes it completed itself and shows "Update Complete Message"

Now - so you know - dealers are NOT equipped by Garmin to update the SD card - that's what the web portal - supported by Garmin - is designed to do..

I somewhat followed the original thread by one poster here - and that was one reason I wanted to make sure my Part's and Customer Service Team had a good outline from me.

My team has been prepped and equipped to have our Product Concierge do complimentary upgrade for our customers on their SD original/1st install to 8.1 on the fresh 5.2 cards we still receive from MB - we activate the customers SD card in their vehicle - then pull for update - and reinstall the updated card in the customer's MB.
The following 2 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
gusman1 (07-30-2017), rockojc (10-09-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:25 AM

GLC 300
fabbrisd1

Your description of your successful process is very helpful.

I did read the instructions at https://shop.mercedes-benz.com/dcp/s...map-pilot.html.

I did not see any instructions there about needing to install Adobe Air for a successful installation. How did you know that you needed Adobe Air?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
The Adobe AIR prompt comes up after you download Download manager - and later opening for install it should bring up Adobe Air prompt if you do not have on PC.

Adobe Air install requires reboot before proceeding further with Download Manager install.

After DM installed - opening later with SD in a reader - if Download Manager upgrade is available - or update to Adobe Air available - and you download install ea as required again - and reboot after completing download/install.

Much easier than it sounds...

Upgrading V5.2 to V8.1 today - with current Download Manager and current Adobe Air - total time to copy-download-new-update SD card - 20 minutes total - bam bam bam
BlueRidge (07-27-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 AM

GLC 300
fabbrisd1

Was the 20 minutes just for the time for updating the software or does that include the time needed for updating the maps as well?

Also, when you update, do you update the software first, install the card back into the GLC to reactivate the software, and then put the SD card back into the computer and use Download Manager to download the updated maps?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC Coupe (on order)
All, I have a 2018 GLC Coupe coming in a week or two. I did not order the Garmin Map Pilot but I believe the car is pre-wired for it. If I'm so inclined, will I be able to order the SD card either from MB or directly from Garmin after delivery and plug it into the SD card slot if I want the option of trying both COMAND nav and Garmin to see which one I prefer? Figure I can always sell the SD card at a discount if I don't like it.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by doug.martin
All, I have a 2018 GLC Coupe coming in a week or two. I did not order the Garmin Map Pilot but I believe the car is pre-wired for it. If I'm so inclined, will I be able to order the SD card either from MB or directly from Garmin after delivery and plug it into the SD card slot if I want the option of trying both COMAND nav and Garmin to see which one I prefer? Figure I can always sell the SD card at a discount if I don't like it.
You will not be able to have command if you did not order the multimedia package. Your car should come with Garmin prewired with an SD slot. You can buy the card online or from your dealer. It will be cheaper online.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:59 PM

GLC 300
My understanding is that once the Garmin SD card is inserted into your vehicle, the card will only work in your car. It cannot be used in another car. So selling after use is not an option.

There are a few YouTube videos that show what the Garmin system can do. Might be worth looking at after you get your car for a comparison.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:31 PM

2017 GLC300
SD card update info from M-B site

"Use the Mercedes-Benz Download Manger to check whether you are eligible for free software and map updates. Click on the "Start Download Manager" button above.
Information about free software updates:
The Garmin® MAP PILOT navigation software is regularly updated and improved. Installing a software update will bring your navigation system up to date and ensure that you continue to enjoy optimum performance. This service is available free of charge. Make sure to check regularly that your navigation software is still up to date.
Information about free map updates:
Congratulations on choosing the Garmin® MAP PILOT! You may, however, have found that the pre-installed map material on your genuine Garmin® MAP PILOT SD card is not the latest version. If so, it's not a problem – if new map material becomes available within 60 days of your first using the system, you will be entitled to install it free of charge!
Information about paid updates:
If there is no free map material available, you can purchase it at your local dealer in the form of a Garmin® MAP PILOT Update SD card. Contact your local dealer for further details.
Here's how it works:
Insert your genuine Garmin® MAP PILOT SD card into your PC, start the Mercedes-Benz Download Manager and download the free offers".

Does this means that you have to buy a new update SD card from dealer after the free update that expires in 60 days of initial use?
Has anyone has tried to update the map after 60 days with success?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by dieseldoc
You will not be able to have command if you did not order the multimedia package. Your car should come with Garmin prewired with an SD slot. You can buy the card online or from your dealer. It will be cheaper online.
Thanks for the reply. Let me restate the question: I do have the multimedia package so will have the default COMAND nav. What I'm asking is, after taking delivery, if I buy the Garmin SD card online, will it work without any configuration required if I pop it into the SD slot and then revert back to COMAND Nav when I take it out?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
No..
Old 08-01-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
No..
Hey fabbrisd1, were you saying no to my question or the previous post? I'm still trying to determine if I can easily switch back and forth between Garmin and COMAND nav by inserting/removing the Garmin SD card or is it more complicated than that?
Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Cannot use Garmin card on command/multimedia system
Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 PM

GLC 300
I have a few days left before my 60-day free Garmin map update window closes.

I know there have been some problems reported updating the software and maps. Others have been successful.

My question is whether those who have been successful find the new software (v8) and the new maps (v8 2017) all that much of an improvement over the v5 software and maps that come in the package available from Mercedes dealers.

I ask this because I am having trouble finding a reliable, fast enough connection to complete the process.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
At this moment - I have yet to find a SD card too "old" to update - frankly as far as I know the web portal is not setup for that supposed "60 day rule- yet.

Frankly I don't see/fund any restriction on the portal yet - like "any user" and "any password" - eventually it might be tightened up.

1) If you have downloaded and installed Adobe Air to your PC

2) If you have downloaded most recent version of Download Manager - I "think" that is 3.03 - if older version Download Manage - or in doubt - uninstall existing Download Manager - and reinstall fresh version from the portal

3) The "best" SD update/install to 8/1 Maps + 8.1 system has been 20 minutes from 5.2 - the "worst" has been 5hrs for a "old" 5.0 - after running Malware bites to scrub a virus off the SD card (which reportedly was unmolested since gotten from the dealer - and frankly it was "old" ) - and that 5hr run was done for me on my PC remote from Germany/MB IT in the evening because I was way-pissed off - after my daytime attempts were constant stall/stop/stop.. the good news - if update is incomplete - for me it started a fresh/full update every time and didn't "brick" the SD

On my next "oldie" - I would run Malware Bytes - to check/scrub the SD for virus - deactivate PC firewall - and run late evening expecting a 5hr turn - and check in the morning if completed or not.

Keep the beat !
gusman1 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 PM

GLC 300
fabbrisd1

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Have people been happy with the updates? That is, do the updated versions of the software and maps provide that much more functionality and detail than the 2015/16 stock software and maps?

I ask because the connection I am able to use is very slow.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
On "oldie cards" - remember install Adobe Air then reboot - insert SD card in card reader - open Download manager - generally in less than 15 seconds it will recognize the card and show if Map or/and System update is available.

YES - it can take up to 5hrs to complete the full 15gb update - RECOMMENDED doing overnight and NOT during the day where you get stopped/paused/all-that-**** .

This slow thing really has to be limitation on the web portal end - or maybe SD rewrites are just that slow - on my last "oldie" for a member here - MB G-IT took remote control over my PC and i am a gig-fiber and shiite yes - it was frigging 5hrs - but I was sleeping so I didn't care.

My MB G-IT guys - and they have zero to do with the portal - which is 3rd party paid by Garmin/MB (Poles I think - really) MB G-IT was pissed since I told them the make sure it got down while I snoozed - 5hrs 20 min - it is what it is
BlueRidge (08-07-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
Originally Posted by gusman1
Does this means that you have to buy a new update SD card from dealer after the free update that expires in 60 days of initial use?
Has anyone has tried to update the map after 60 days with success?
i bought my garmin sd in 2016 so it wont let me update to map v8.1, i still on map 5.0.

i wonder if i buy a new garmin sd on ebay for 115$, will it let me update to new map 8.1 ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garmin Map Pilot most recent version?