GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Clunk noise while upshifting from lower gears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Clunk noise while upshifting from lower gears

I bought my 2017 GLC 300 about 6.5 months ago, and I've been hearing a clunk behind the steering column near the engine for months now - I'm assuming thats where the transmission sits.

This usually happens between gears 2 to 4 or 5, when I'm speeding up onto the freeway ramp. Happens right after the car is warming up after being cold (morning on the way to work, and after work).

I don't think this is normal, and I reported it to the dealer in time for my Service A, but they said they could not reproduce the sound. Any advice moving forward?
Old 07-22-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
This has been discussed on another thread and there IS a fix for it as I recall. I'm glad you asked as I just picked up my car Wed. and noticed some funny things going on as you described. But I had forgotten it being discussed.

If I can find the thread, I'll try to post it here. Seems like several members reported getting this problem fixed. Hopefully some others will share their experience.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Here's one thread similar to what you're experiencing. I haven't posted a link on this forum so I hope it works. I'm pretty sure there was another similar complaint thread that seemed to have more successful fixes performed.

You mention HEARING a clunk. The complaints on the thread below were more about FEELING a clunk. I'm thinking that may be what you're describing.

Anyone?

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...g-problem.html