Mercedes GLC vs. BMW X5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC300
Mercedes GLC vs. BMW X5

Hi everyone!
Coming from a 2013 C250 I'm choosing between two brand new SUV options, which are an almost maxed out GLC 300 (except for the ILS, leather, airmatic and distronic) and a pretty much standard X5 sDrive35i (F15). Both are RWD, although for a similar price BMW has more HP and torque, however, not that important in SoCal. I'm planning to own the vehicle for at least 3 years, mostly driving alone with 1-2 longer trips each year. Also I need a decent cargo space because life is unpredictable.
Which SUV would make more sense to own in terms of the price, quality (both ride and interior), overall cost and reliability? The reliability part is a concern for both vehicles.
I understand that they are in different classes yet I value every opinion. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by alxndr
Hi everyone!
Coming from a 2013 C250 I'm choosing between two brand new SUV options, which are an almost maxed out GLC 300 (except for the ILS, leather, airmatic and distronic) and a pretty much standard X5 sDrive35i (F15). Both are RWD, although for a similar price BMW has more HP and torque, however, not that important in SoCal. I'm planning to own the vehicle for at least 3 years, mostly driving alone with 1-2 longer trips each year. Also I need a decent cargo space because life is unpredictable.
Which SUV would make more sense to own in terms of the price, quality (both ride and interior), overall cost and reliability? The reliability part is a concern for both vehicles.
I understand that they are in different classes yet I value every opinion. Thanks!
I have not driven teh BMW

One thing about the GLC is that the cargo space is pretty small with the rear seats up. its not bad size when the rear seats are down. if cargo is a a major concern, the x5 will definitely be much better but coming from a sedan even the GLC is a big size jump. 4 people with luggage for a long weekend
would be very tight in the benz. Two people - not a problem and room to spare, even with the rear seats up.

although on paper the hP and torque figures on the GLC aren't extremely high, the pickup is good i never feel like it is lacking power.
The following users liked this post:
alxndr (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
I'm no expert on BMWs either, but I thought the X3 was the direct competitor to the GLC. Normally you'd compare a GLE to an X5. If the prices are similar, then I assume that's because the GLC is maxed out and the X5 is not.

As the X5 is in a bigger category, I'd expect it would have more boot space. I don't have any trouble with boot space in my GLC, although it would get a bit tight to go on a longer trip with a lot of luggage for four people. At least with two you can put one or both back seats down to carry large amounts, and that does give you a lot of space.

You don't say which country you're in, but if you're looking at a RHD model then you should read the thread(s) about crabbing. In short the way in which the conversion from LHD to RHD was done seems to have resulted in setting geometry that can cause crabbing of the front tyres on sharp turns in cold and wet conditions. MB seems to be successfully dealing with this by changing tyres, although in some countries slowly and reluctantly. There's a lot of car-to-car variation in how bad the phenomenon is, and not everyone has it. It's not clear to me whether there really is car-to-car variation, or just variation in local conditions, or variation in something else.

I really like driving my GLC, and there isn't another comparable vehicle that I'd prefer, but were I ordering one (RHD) again today, I'm not sure what I'd do.
alxndr (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Hi everyone!
Coming from a 2013 C250 I'm choosing between two brand new SUV options, which are an almost maxed out GLC 300 (except for the ILS, leather, airmatic and distronic)
Kind of hard to call it "maxed out" when you're missing all the best options.

Get distronic dude. You would be very foolish to get a SoCal daily driver without it.

X5 is a much bigger vehicle than the GLC. The cargo space is larger and it is larger in all dimensions. For me this would depend on the amount of cargo space I needed. If I actually need the space that the X5 offers, I would go with the X5. Otherwise, GLC wins with better interior and style. The difference in HP and torque if a wash due to the increased weight of the X5.
alxndr (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC300
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Kind of hard to call it "maxed out" when you're missing all the best options.

Get distronic dude. You would be very foolish to get a SoCal daily driver without it.

X5 is a much bigger vehicle than the GLC. The cargo space is larger and it is larger in all dimensions. For me this would depend on the amount of cargo space I needed. If I actually need the space that the X5 offers, I would go with the X5. Otherwise, GLC wins with better interior and style. The difference in HP and torque if a wash due to the increased weight of the X5.
Thanks for your opinion! I never had distronic before so there is nothing for me to miss. Driving in LA I wouldn't rely on the radars, just myself lol. I was also getting tight on budget when I ordered my GLC back in May. With the BMW the idea just suddenly hit me. The interior of X5 is not as stylish but way more usable + has the iDrive. My highest concern is the reliability, I heard BMWs are bad with electronics.
Also I'm seeking comfort and smooth ride. My GLC is AMG Line, but the X5 I'm checking out is standard suspension. I'm so lost haha
GLC has all the looks and fancy stuff like keyless-go with easy access and surround view. X5 has ambient light and bigger infotainment screen and pano.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 AM

GLC 250D
Whooooops. In haste I read "RWD" as "RHD". Forget the crabbing comments. My main gripe about my GLC has been the ride and handling quality of the 20" RFT, and I've swapped them for 19" non-RFT. But to be fair, you will be find the contrary point of view on this forum as well as my view. The X5 will have RFT, so that's not a point of differentiation.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220d
as everyone said you can't compare X5 to GLC full stop. As a previous owner of BMW 328i Convertible moving to GLC and having comparing X3 before, i would probably buy an X3 right now you simply get more technology out of the money you paying. However, that's only and only if you like the dynamic and more firm drive which BMW is known for.

I went with Mercedes cause i wanted a comfortable relaxing drive with my family. Jut my 2p.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Thanks for your opinion! I never had distronic before so there is nothing for me to miss. Driving in LA I wouldn't rely on the radars, just myself lol. I was also getting tight on budget when I ordered my GLC back in May. With the BMW the idea just suddenly hit me. The interior of X5 is not as stylish but way more usable + has the iDrive. My highest concern is the reliability, I heard BMWs are bad with electronics.
Also I'm seeking comfort and smooth ride. My GLC is AMG Line, but the X5 I'm checking out is standard suspension. I'm so lost haha
GLC has all the looks and fancy stuff like keyless-go with easy access and surround view. X5 has ambient light and bigger infotainment screen and pano.
The thing about distronic which I love is when you are in stop and go traffic travelling under 20mph, the car friggin' drives itself! Above 20mph it requires you to keep your hands on the wheel, but 20mph and under it's autonomous. If it comes to a full stop for more than 3 seconds you will need to tap the throttle to proceed. Beyond that, fully autonomous. It's a very cool feature.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 AM

GLC 250D
+1 for the distronic.

If you're under its control, so to speak, when stopped, it's a bit slow to take off. It seems to wait for a decent gap before taking off rather that letting the gap grow as you accelerate. That's probably why you need to tap the throttle.

There are a few creature comforts from our GLC that I really miss in our well-spec'ed B200, and this would be top of the list. Once you're used to it, regular cruise control is a pain.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by bips
+1 for the distronic.

If you're under its control, so to speak, when stopped, it's a bit slow to take off. It seems to wait for a decent gap before taking off rather that letting the gap grow as you accelerate. That's probably why you need to tap the throttle.

There are a few creature comforts from our GLC that I really miss in our well-spec'ed B200, and this would be top of the list. Once you're used to it, regular cruise control is a pain.
Full stop for > 3sec requires you to tap the throttle to proceed. Full stop < 3sec and car proceeds on it's own.

Funny thing is I use distronic exclusively for stop and go traffic. I rarely use it or any cruise control for highway cruising. Kicking back and letting the car drive itself while in gridlock is well worth every penny.