GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

In case you were wondering about the Burmester....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
In case you were wondering about the Burmester....

Get it!

I'm loading some CD's (yep, I still have some favorite CD's) to the Media Register in prep for a road trip this weekend and this thing is amazing!

I guess I turned the radio on during some test drives and of course it wasn't playing CD's, but it was nothing remarkable. Like others have said before.....the Burmester is worth it. I've NEVER heard my cd's sound so amazing. Can't wait to get out on the open road!

Just thought I'd share, for what it's worth. .
The following 3 users liked this post by Vaboy:
CasemLuke (08-03-2017), potuss (08-02-2017), SawyerB (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300, 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLC300
It's even more amazing after you adjust the equalizer. You have to set it for each media individually (radio, USB, CD, Bluetooth).
Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by blizzard12
It's even more amazing after you adjust the equalizer. You have to set it for each media individually (radio, USB, CD, Bluetooth).
+1

I meant to mention I was impressed even on the defaults. I plan on tweaking the equalizer some now that I have something to work with!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
I agree that given the choice between having the Burmester system and not, then definitely get it. That being said, my feeling is that compared to other audio systems, it's only average and a bit disappointing. I had an HK system in an 11 year old BMW, and it had better bass, a full built in equalizer and options for different (and noticeable) sound stages.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Roowah
I agree that given the choice between having the Burmester system and not, then definitely get it. That being said, my feeling is that compared to other audio systems, it's only average and a bit disappointing. I had an HK system in an 11 year old BMW, and it had better bass, a full built in equalizer and options for different (and noticeable) sound stages.
Point well taken on how the Burmester stacks up against other luxury audio upgrades. I've read the same comments from others.

I can't let my wife see your comment about the HK upgrade for BMW's. My wife bought a 2017 X3 off the dealers lot in March because it had everything she wanted......EXCEPT the upgrade to the HK system. She thought she'd be happy with it, but I think she wishes she had waited and found or ordered one with the upgraded audio. I checked and there doesn't seem to be any upgrade available for her Bimmer.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC300 4MATIC
Burmester Sound

The Burmester sound system in my GLC is the best automobile audio system available. The sound is very natural without the artificial distorted bass so prevalent in other systems. I have tested a lot of different manufacturers sound systems. I'm in sales at a Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Porsche dealership and listen to other systems on trade in vehicles.

It is almost impossible to drive the Burmester systems to distortion at any volume level. It's easy to distort Bose, Harman Kardon, Mark Levinson and others because they use cheaper amplifier/speaker components. Listen to the Burmester with any good quality source (CD's, MP3's or digital FM) and it's easy to hear the difference. Sirius/XM sounds terrible on any system!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by wlwoods
The Burmester sound system in my GLC is the best automobile audio system available. The sound is very natural without the artificial distorted bass so prevalent in other systems. I have tested a lot of different manufacturers sound systems. I'm in sales at a Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Porsche dealership and listen to other systems on trade in vehicles.

It is almost impossible to drive the Burmester systems to distortion at any volume level. It's easy to distort Bose, Harman Kardon, Mark Levinson and others because they use cheaper amplifier/speaker components. Listen to the Burmester with any good quality source (CD's, MP3's or digital FM) and it's easy to hear the difference. Sirius/XM sounds terrible on any system!
+1 on the Sirius comment. Local radio stations sound better on my wife's X3 than Sirius does.

Nice to hear comments base on first hand experience with the different systems. Most of us don't have that opportunity. Pretty strong endorsement that you feel compared to other Premium systems it's the best one available. I'm sure others would strongly disagree, but I'll take it as a "FWIW" comment and appreciate it.

While I haven't really pushed the volume levels I was amazed at how clear the sound was at the highest level I would reasonably listen to.

I even heard talking in the background on a song that I hadn't realized was there in a CD I had played dozens of times over the years. Kind of caught me off guard!

Bottom line is, if you're spending $50+K on a car, why wouldn't you spring for the $850 for the Burmester?

I just started this thread for anyone on the fence about it.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Originally Posted by wlwoods

I think you'll get a lot of differing opinions on which system is better. You did make an interesting comment, and one that I have thought about. The Burmester system wants to be a very natural, neutral sounding system, and will almost fight you if you want to change that. I enjoy being able to adjust different sound frequencies to my personal taste, so the fact you have only a bass, treble, and mid range is a little limiting. As I mentioned earlier, I wish there was better choices for sound stages besides front seats, rear seats, and all seats.

From what I've read in other threads, Burmester only did the tuning of the system, but the system does not actually contain any Burmester components.

Originally Posted by Vaboy
+1 on the Sirius comment. Local radio stations sound better on my wife's X3 than Sirius does.

Nice to hear comments base on first hand experience with the different systems. Most of us don't have that opportunity. Pretty strong endorsement that you feel compared to other Premium systems it's the best one available. I'm sure others would strongly disagree, but I'll take it as a "FWIW" comment and appreciate it.

While I haven't really pushed the volume levels I was amazed at how clear the sound was at the highest level I would reasonably listen to.

I even heard talking in the background on a song that I hadn't realized was there in a CD I had played dozens of times over the years. Kind of caught me off guard!

Bottom line is, if you're spending $50+K on a car, why wouldn't you spring for the $850 for the Burmester?

I just started this thread for anyone on the fence about it.
Agreed, if you're going to spend that kind of money for a vehicle, it might as well have the best system available for it. $850 is a small price to pay for something you'll be using/enjoying every time you're driving. Fortunately, it was built into the Premium Package 2 that I wanted, so no reason to add it separately.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:50 PM
ACN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLC 4Matic
I would have to completely disagree with the above comments. The burnmester is probably one of the worst "upgrades" in terms of audio in a premium vehicle. It not actually any authentic hardware from BURMESTER, but rather some "tuning" that they do to the system.

For $2k aftermarket you can get a system that is 1000x better. Try listening to anything louder and the system sounds horrible. Open your window and watch it struggle to play music cleanly.

Needless to say, we opted to not upgrade our radio and go aftermarket installation. The Burmester was the worst sounding system in all the car companies we test drove. The Ford edge had a better sound system....
Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
Burmester home systems can run around $30k.

Burmester automotive systems, like on a Panamera, run $7,500.

I would hope people have realistic expectations of what $850 is buying.
The following users liked this post:
ACN (08-06-2017)