GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Why GLC? And what else did you looked at?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)
Originally Posted by decorily
Yes the 350d would probably be a fairer comparison..... but in my opinion the Touareg would still come out on top if only for comfort and build quality.

Edit. Touareg is also substantially cheaper here.
Same here in Australia, but I'd say that the GLC with air suspension feels much better. Build quality, not too sure about that.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC43 AMG
I've held off on my first post to this forum until I've had something useful to contribute and now I think that I may have some relevant experience to be able to comment.

I came out of a 2015 262bhp R Line Touareg to purchase a new GLC43 a little over two months ago.

I can tell you that I had no intention of selling the Touareg for another couple of years but one drive in the GLC 43 was enough for me to do everything I could to get one. The noise was addictive and the performance compared to the Touareg was mind bending.

Having now spent two months in the GLC I can now give a more considered response as to the differences. I can confirm that the Touareg does feel far more solid, the doors are heavy and close with a re-assuring clunk, and of course it's bigger but not so much, everything else about the GLC however is far superior from the Infotainment/Sat Nav to the controls everything feels much more modern.
I do know that a new Touareg is due early next year so it's probably not a fair comparison but for my money I know which one I'd rather have.

Did I mention the noise
Old 08-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Like some others have said, I bought a GLC after going to a car show and comparing cars back-to-back.

Lexus RX: Godzilla looks on a Camry-based lifestyle vehicle don't work for me. I need something I can put my mountain bike in/on and I want something luxurious and also fun to drive. This was clearly not it. Great car for someone who doesn't know a lot about cars and doesn't need to. Pass.

Infiniti QX50: Like the Toyota/Lexus: Too much lifestyle and not enough utility and luxury. Pass.

Jaguar F-Pace: Silly price and I'm averse to the brand based on Jaguar's legendary poor reliability. Interior was notably cheap and plastic-y compared to the 2018 Mazda CX-5 we'd just looked at. Hard pass.

2018 Audi Q5: The car I really wanted. Turns out it's about $5000 more expensive than a few years ago and now has less capability. Also, the car show unit had several obvious production flaws, which did not help allay my concern about buying a new car produced at a new factory. The brand is still under the Diesel-gate cloud and the interior is nice but not up to Audi standards IMO. Also their staff made it clear that discounts weren't happening. Reluctant pass.

My backup plan was a BMW X3. It's also expensive now versus a few years ago, which makes no sense to me for such an outdated design. The 2018 model was (and still is) not coming soon, so I had to pass.

This left me feeling open-minded. We'd seen the GLC at the Mercedes display nearby, and my spouse kept wanting to drag me over there, but I find MB products a bit ostentatious and I have never really given their cars & SUVs a thought. My preconception was that they are "not for people like me."

I reluctantly walked over and hopped in. Next thing I heard myself say was "I would buy this car based on the interior alone." Did research on pricing, specs, etc. and ordered the car a couple of weeks later.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by decorily
Yes the 350d would probably be a fairer comparison..... but in my opinion the Touareg would still come out on top if only for comfort and build quality.

Edit. Touareg is also substantially cheaper here.
I came from a 2015 Touareg R Line 262 to a GLC43 and they are night and day in comparison.
The Touareg certainly felt more substantial, the doors were heavy and closed with a solid "clunk" but apart from that it felt what it is, a nearly 10 year old design with outdated technology (satnav/audio etc). I know that there is a new version due out in 2018 but one drive of the 43 was enough for me to want one and after two months I'm more than happy with it.

The power and sound are like nothing else in this price bracket, oh and did I mention the sound
Old 08-29-2017, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by gibbo37
I came from a 2015 Touareg R Line 262 to a GLC43 and they are night and day in comparison.
The Touareg certainly felt more substantial, the doors were heavy and closed with a solid "clunk" but apart from that it felt what it is, a nearly 10 year old design with outdated technology (satnav/audio etc). I know that there is a new version due out in 2018 but one drive of the 43 was enough for me to want one and after two months I'm more than happy with it.

The power and sound are like nothing else in this price bracket, oh and did I mention the sound
What about the sound gibbo
Old 08-29-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220d
Didn't drive Touareg since it's simply too big. But drove R-Line Tiguan and the car was simply boring. I just felt nothing.
The following users liked this post:
Philamg (09-09-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
[QUOTE=ChinaBob;7249621]

Favorite option: hand's down it's the Head Up Display, followed by the surround view cameras. Don't know why but it seems very few in-stock GLC's have HUD but for my money it's the best option on the car.
----------------

ChinaBob, have you put all your polarized glasses away? I like polarized for most activities but the HUD vanishes so I've had to dedicate a pair of non-P glasses to the GLC. But, yes, I waited an extra 9 months for delivery just to get the HUD and it was worth the wait.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
[QUOTE=EdZ1;7253280]
Originally Posted by ChinaBob

Favorite option: hand's down it's the Head Up Display, followed by the surround view cameras. Don't know why but it seems very few in-stock GLC's have HUD but for my money it's the best option on the car.
----------------

ChinaBob, have you put all your polarized glasses away? I like polarized for most activities but the HUD vanishes so I've had to dedicate a pair of non-P glasses to the GLC. But, yes, I waited an extra 9 months for delivery just to get the HUD and it was worth the wait.
Never used polarized glasses so don't have that problem. The only time I have trouble seeing the HUD is when I am pulled up behind a white car, truck, etc. White lettering on white background not good.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mtberman

This left me feeling open-minded. We'd seen the GLC at the Mercedes display nearby, and my spouse kept wanting to drag me over there, but I find MB products a bit ostentatious and I have never really given their cars & SUVs a thought. My preconception was that they are "not for people like me."

I reluctantly walked over and hopped in. Next thing I heard myself say was "I would buy this car based on the interior alone." Did research on pricing, specs, etc. and ordered the car a couple of weeks later.
similar story here. wife brought me into the MB dealer and i said to her "why bother'" figuring there was nothing for me there. after seeing the GLC everything i looked at subsequent was compared to that and nothing could beat it.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Talked to a local dealer today, been told
Package
851 Heat and Noise-Insulating Front Side Glass
available on the hybrid models only.
Is this a true?
Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by DanD.
Talked to a local dealer today, been told
Package
851 Heat and Noise-Insulating Front Side Glass
available on the hybrid models only.
Is this a true?
Yep, according to the last DOG (Dealer Order Guide - 6/20/17) I saw. It was added as a Standalone Option for the 350e 4Matic ONLY.

Several GLC owners have reported getting their front glass REPLACED with the Acoustic glass under a TSB that addresses excessive noise, but you can't order it as far as I know.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Its crazy, it can be replaced on dealer dime, instead of just simply install it at the factory.

Keep forgetting to ask: is there a way to disable Start/Stop function? Permanently.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Heat and insulating glass all around is standard on GLC43 in UK, not sure if it is fitted to other models.

No way to disable stop/start button permanently.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Vaboy
Several GLC owners have reported getting their front glass REPLACED with the Acoustic glass under a TSB that addresses excessive noise, but you can't order it as far as I know.
Yes, I was one of those who got my front side window glass replaced with acoustic under warranty. The result was a subtle change but it completely transformed the feeling of the car, if that makes any sense. I was not all that impressed with the feeling of my GLC at first. It just didn't seem to feel like what I thought a Mercedes should, but the acoustic glass muffled the overall noise enough that it feels not only quieter but more substantial. You know, like a Mercedes!

I find it bizarre that MB is offering the acoustic glass as an extra cost option now.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Keep forgetting to ask: is there a way to disable Start/Stop function? Permanently.
Well, there is this item. I'm not sure if it requires cutting the harness or simply plugs in in-line, the way some of the GM CAGS defeat devices do.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
First Mercedes I've owned. Looked at the Porsche Macan but my son was too tall for the back seat so that was out, otherwise it would have been a strong contender. The SQ5 my wife wouldn't even look at, she thinks they look boring compared to the Mercedes. lol. Originally we wanted an X5 but felt they were a bit big and to get the same performance as the GLC43 would have to spend considerably more money.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Why the GLC, well its really nice.

Hello all GLC owners,
Looking at GLC as my wife next car. Drove one, and liked it. Very hard hard to find one with options we / she wants but we are looking.

would would like to ask a few question who actually got GLC.
1. Why did you pick GLC and what other options you were looked at? Picked the GLS because it s quiet, has a great interior and mostly because of Distronic features. Considered Q5 (getting dated when I was shopping). Considered Macan, felt a little small and no Distronic. Nice car though.
2. Are you leasing or financing? Leasing, as usual.
3. How reliable is GLC ? So far so good. Planning to keep it, for how long? 36 months, it is a lease.
4. Did you notice a light vibration when car idling? No, only when the auto start/stop starts and the car is stopped on a slight uphill or steeper. On the level or down I don't really notice it. My wife has a Buick with start stop and their implementation is much better, hardly notice the restarts.

Thank you all in advance.