GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Replace stock tires with NOn-RFT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MB GLC
Replace stock tires with NOn-RFT?

Pirelli is having promotions --- 4 Pirelli Scorpion AS+ for $470. Would it be worth it to replace the stock RFTs with them? ( I am a quiet /comfirt ride guy)

Is it easy or difficult to sell the stock tires if I only have 3K miles on them?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by gainful
Pirelli is having promotions --- 4 Pirelli Scorpion AS+ for $470. Would it be worth it to replace the stock RFTs with them? ( I am a quiet /comfirt ride guy)

Is it easy or difficult to sell the stock tires if I only have 3K miles on them?
Is that installed for 18"? Seems like a really good price.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MB GLC
Installation is not included. Just the tires and shipping.

Is there a huge difference in ride comfort between Pirelli Scoprio Verde AS+ and Pirelli Scorpio Verde AS Run-flat?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
There is an issue with the Pirelli's.

Wife's C300 and my GLC both have same tire. Mercedes offered last week to share half of the cost of replacing wife's since they are showing abnormal wear at 8K miles (along with picking up cost for alignment). Then today I visited dealer this morning for my GLC ranny recall and starter recall campaigns and at wrapup they mentioned same to me re: my tires (10K miles). They said these tires are just too soft and wear too fast (service advisor changed hers on her new C300 to Continentals recently for same reason).

So I'm getting out of anything Pirelli and never coming back. Either Continental or Michelin. And will they will be non-RFT.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Sorry for steering to a different direction, but I have a question. We looked at GLC as wife next car and biggest concern was RFT, if you replace them with regular tires and there is no spare what are you planning to do in case of flat?
Is there a way to get a spare?
There is a room for it MB didn’t change a thing under the cover.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by DanD.
Sorry for steering to a different direction, but I have a question. We looked at GLC as wife next car and biggest concern was RFT, if you replace them with regular tires and there is no spare what are you planning to do in case of flat?
There is a room for it MB didn €™t change a thing under the cover.
Mercedes has there service for distress and there’s AAA and also a can of that goofy tire stuff to take you to the nearest tire shop. When my 19 inch Continentals RFT are up Im going for the Michelin LTX. Been reading great reviews for them and seem strong too.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
These questions have been discussed at some length before. I switched to non-RFT about six months ago and haven't regretted the decision. In doing so I also switched from 20" to 19". Here is my experience:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...es-wheels.html

My decision was partly based on various reports on this forum by people from people who had switched to non-RFT on various vehicles, and particularly by this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...xperience.html

The issue of what to do about a spare has been discussed in this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...e-options.html
Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
There is an issue with the Pirelli's.

Wife's C300 and my GLC both have same tire. Mercedes offered last week to share half of the cost of replacing wife's since they are showing abnormal wear at 8K miles (along with picking up cost for alignment). Then today I visited dealer this morning for my GLC ranny recall and starter recall campaigns and at wrapup they mentioned same to me re: my tires (10K miles). They said these tires are just too soft and wear too fast (service advisor changed hers on her new C300 to Continentals recently for same reason).

So I'm getting out of anything Pirelli and never coming back. Either Continental or Michelin. And will they will be non-RFT.

My 2 cents.
Don't blame the tires, blame MB for selecting the crappy tires with zero wear warranty. We went to Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT's for 140 out the door each with a 60,000 mile wear warranty and road hazard warranty. This also includes free balance and rotation very 5,000 miles. They also are quieter and handle better. Ours came with the Continentals so it isn't just Pirelli, it's MB for picking quiet over reliable and service life. There was probably a profit margin involved also for MB picking them.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 PM

2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by mikbar2
Don't blame the tires, blame MB for selecting the crappy tires with zero wear warranty. We went to Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT's for 140 out the door each with a 60,000 mile wear warranty and road hazard warranty. This also includes free balance and rotation very 5,000 miles. They also are quieter and handle better. Ours came with the Continentals so it isn't just Pirelli, it's MB for picking quiet over reliable and service life. There was probably a profit margin involved also for MB picking them.
Total agreement on a poor choice of tires on MBs part. Tires are crap, for multiple reasons. Car is however, not crap. Everything else (almost) I enjoy. But life goes on. Not sure what model of Continentals you had, do you recall? Were they TrueContacts? Am looking at the TrueContacts and the Michelin Premiers. Thanks in advance for any feedback on next tire choice...I will also start my research on the tire you selected.
One thing to keep in mind, tho, is that I plan on moving away from RFTs , and not looking back.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
the choice of RFT is puzzling from a ride standpoint - non RFT probably could have provided much better ride. but makes sense from a profit standpoint for sure. if tire has a problem, you bring it to the dealer, they they say it cant be fixed so you buy new tires (probably at least 2) and they make money. and every 20k they get you to buy a new set of tires and they make money.

i wish they had the driveguards in the 18" size i have heard a lot of good about them.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
Almost all high- end cars now come with run flats. That is the direction of the future.
I really wish that in a couple years the better tire makers like Michelin, will have run flats in the size for the GLC. That will be awesome.
For now we're stuck with the Pirellis and the Continentals, and Bridgestone's.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
I just drove our new '18 GLC300 4Matic (with Air Suspension) home from the dealer. Could not be happier with the Conti RFT. Very quiet, until I hit a patch of course asphalt, then it got a little loud. I checked the tire pressure and it was 45 psi all around, so I'm hoping once I take it down to the recommended 32 psi, it will be even better. The trip from the dealer was about 40 miles and it soaked up the road imperfections.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I just drove our new '18 GLC300 4Matic (with Air Suspension) home from the dealer. Could not be happier with the Conti RFT. Very quiet, until I hit a patch of course asphalt, then it got a little loud. I checked the tire pressure and it was 45 psi all around, so I'm hoping once I take it down to the recommended 32 psi, it will be even better. The trip from the dealer was about 40 miles and it soaked up the road imperfections.
Hope you don't have to replace them at 19,000 miles like we did. Worn out evenly all the way around so it wasn't the car it was crappy tires.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:01 PM

2016 GLC 300
Hope you don't have to replace them at 19,000 miles like we did. Worn out evenly all the way around so it wasn't the car it was crappy tires.
Yeah, thats the issue here. Not comfort or anything else...pure wear (or lack thereof).
Old 10-19-2017, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Note - my personal recommendation for tire pressure on GLC is 36-38 PSI ..
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Fabbrisd do you have any feedback on RFT continentals 19inch? Have read plenty on the perelli but can’t find anything on the Contis.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
That's where I inflated the tires; we'll see how they sound on the freeway. I notice my pressure gauge (I used two) are slightly lower than what the on board computer shows.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hope this following info helps.
We had Pirelli run flats (summer type) and not happy with juddering on turns. Long story, but short answer was fitting new All Season Goodyears - very happy with outcome, performance and handling.

· Mercedes and Dealer have come to the Party and are helping. Melbourne.
Fitted today 255/45/R20
Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season ROF tyres x 4.
Made in Germany, MO Extended, Run Flat technology !!!!, rim protector, extra load 105V
Treadwear 560, Traction A, Temp A, side facing out, Wet B, Fuel C and noise 70db.

Drove home in pouring wet and cold, no crabbing, quieter and sooo much better over speed humps, would not know RFT !!
Too wet to stop and check tyre presures. So will run them in for next 500km, that will be weekend. Very optimistic this will be ok. Very surprised RFT !. Just hope M&S rating will give me 40-45000km like Pirelli, but there may be a trade off, time will tell. In US they have a 50000km g'tee, looks like Oz might miss out on this feature.
Cannot source these tyres commercially yet in Oz, hopefully the supply chain will start to stock for replacements.
Thanks for everyone's help and info, really appreciate all contributions – I have learnt a lot. .

Update on Goodyear 20" M&S All Season RFT. Diesel 250d.
Around 500km now, just ran around 220km , highway driving on cruise control, mix 80, 100 and 110kph, ave around 94kph.
Fuel usage sat on 6.0l/100 and at around 180km dropped to 5.7l/100.
Car boot fully loaded and doz bottles red on back seat.
Ride was good, no crabbing at night, temps around 9.c
==============================================
My gut feel is that Goodyears are less fuel efficient, due to M&S, All Weather design. Maybe around 1l/100 less efficient, over 40,000km that coulfd be a few dollars and cents !!
Did do some cross country work on 4x4 track, very stable, on steep decent and across mud flats.
I still apperciate the Goodyears and their improved performance.
Same highway run tonight in the Coupe, with non RFT, Michelin Latitude 3 type, 250d. No TPMS on that yet.
Results are in !!!!!!!!!!
My gut feeling was wrong.....
Just ran around 220km , highway driving on cruise control, mix 80, 100 and 110kph, ave around 89kph.
Fuel usage sat on 6.0l/100 and at around 180km dropped to 5.8l/100. We stopped for 5 min en-route which most probably accounts for slight variation.
Car boot partly loaded and NO bottles red on back seat, sad face.....
Night temps around 13.c.
So the results of the two test runs, one with RFT, Goodyear and the other with normal Michelin Latitude 3 are that they have same economy returns.
Ride around same, road noise from asphalt about same. Very wet in morning with Michelin and some slight spin/aquaplane on ruts in highway, quickly corrected by 4Matic, have not tested Goodyears in same heavy rain, but were ok in lighter downpours.....
So time will tell, but it looks like Goodyears are winning and may give greater Km life, based on Treadwear 560 figure (US standard I think) (Pirelli Scorpion treadwear was 400 from memory – higher better), Our asphalt might vary wear results.
Cheers

Re new Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season ROF, MO tyres for 20" rims.
Link to USA site with tyre info..
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...all-season-rof
Product code for Oz dealer to search should be 109 101 395.
$299 USA with extra discounts, also 80,000km tyre warranty.

Ebay sale of new Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season ROF 255/45 R20 105V XL M+S MO run-flat with MFS

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122548589134?ul_noapp=true

Despription – Price reduced to approx $448 AU, no offer at this stage of delivery to Oz or of cost.

Mytyres
Miniscule prices with Europe’s Number 1 Online Tyre Shop! !!!
Our Buy it now offer:
TYRE Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season ROF 255/45 R20 105V XL M+S MO run-flat with MFS

Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season

A powerful sport performance tire with enhanced responsive handling and strong grip in all weather conditions.

Features:

Steering Responsiveness: The proven asymmetric tread offers both responsive handling and exceptional all-season grip.

All-Season Performance: An innovative tread compound that delivers outstanding wet and dry performance, with enhanced grip in ice and snow.

Long Lasting Tread: Full-depth sipes help create biting edges for confident grip — even as the tire wears.

Rim Protection: The rim protector helps defend against accidental curb damage.

RunOnFlat Technology

Goodyear’s revolutionary RunOnFlat technology allows you to drive for up to 80km on a flat tire, so you can reach a suitable place to have it changed. Reinforced sidewalls in the tire mean it can support your car’s weight even with zero air pressure, making dangerous roadside tire changes a thing of the past.

The Auction:

This is a brand new, first quality tyre. It has been properly warehoused and was never mounted. Our quoted auction price is per 1 tyre. When purchasing by auction, please enter the quantity you want (for example: 2, or 4). Rims and hubcaps are not included – they are shown for display purposes only.

Tyre Codes / Designations:
Speed Index: V: max 149 mph
Additional Code: none
Date of Manufacture: The offered tires are from the current production, i.e. they not older than 24 months. In general, these tires are not older than 12 months.
RunFlat: Run-flat tire

Label: C-B-70
EU Tyre Label and Efficiency Classes

The European Union, under CE 1222/2009, has mandated that all tyres manufactured after the date of July 1 2012 for cars and commercial vehicles include standard EU Tyre Labels classifying them by three performance characteristics:fuel efficiency classified from A to G, wet grip classified from A to G, and noise emission in decibels.

Categories of tyres unaffected by this regulation include: retreaded tyres, professional off-road tyres, racing/sports car tyres, as well as certain types of tyres designed to improve traction such as studded tyres, T-type temporary spare tyres, tyres for cars built before 1990, tyres with a maximum allowed speed of 80km/h, tyres for rims with a diameter less or equal to 254 mm or greater or equal to 635 mm.
This label is intended on one hand to promote economic and ecological efficiency in traffic, as well as increase road safety, and on the other hand to help consumers select appropriate tyres by ensuring a certain degree of product transparency.

Nevertheless, the label has been criticized for only showing a very limited number of characteristics. Professionals argue that tyres have many more features that are important and relevant to road safety, including but not limited to aquaplaning properties, driving stability, service life, product properties on wet and dry roads other than wet grip, properties on snow.
Tyre manufacturers suggest that the test results from various institutions and industry magazines should remain a very important source of information for the end consumer, because they focus on and rate a wide variety of tyre properties and features.

Tyre Parameters:

MFS o. FR – Special rim protector (Rim ribs)
FSL – Tyres with special rim protector (Flange shield)
FR – Tyres with special rim protector (Rim ribs)
M+S – Tyres with M+S marking
GRNX – Manufacturer's own title for energy-saving tyres (Michelin Green X)
AO – Original Equipment for Audi Models
MO – Original equipment for Mercedes models

· – For BMW models
VO – For Volkswagen (VW) models
BSW – Special design of the side wall. Tyres with black sidewalls. (Black sidewall)

Bit long winded on my part, but thought all info was important to enable further investigation if you wanted to change brands, but keep RFT.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by DanD.
There is a room for it MB didn €™t change a thing under the cover.
This week I'm replacing my totally worn out RF Pirellis (less than 20K miles) with NRT Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. Mercedes owner's manual says if using NRTs, a Mercedes "Tirefit Kit" is required -- pressured tire sealant. I bought an OEM one on eBay. This is about the only feasible solution to handle a roadside flat. I think I'll also pack an air pump in the event that a slow leak develops and I just need to limp to the closest tire shop. I'm done with Pirellis; the GLC is the second new Mercedes I've owned equipped with OEM Pirellis that failed to last beyond 20K. As for RFTs, I'm done with those for now, too. When or if Michelin develops an all-season RFT with a good track record, I may reconsider.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:31 PM

2016 GLC 300
I am replacing the dog Pirelli RFT tires next week with Continental CrossContact LX's. Car has 11K miles. Dealer to buy two, myself to buy two. Dealer to pay for alignment, myself to pay for mounting /balancing. Standard $75 off for purchase of two tires from dealer. The Pirelli's are wearing both abnormally, and at an advanced rate. I wanted to replace with non-RFTs, but Mercedes HQ would only OK if they had an RFT component. I would advise other owners to examine their tire wear, and chat with their dealer to see what can be done.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:37 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by guido3
Mercedes owner's manual says if using NRTs, a Mercedes "Tirefit Kit" is required -- pressured tire sealant. I bought an OEM one on eBay.
Did you buy the compressor as well as the bottle of latex sealant? My understanding is that you need both. The sealant is expensive enough, given that it's single use, but the compressor that you also that need is very expensive. In theory a flat that could be plugged is still repairable if you use the tyrefit kit, but not if you use one of the cheaper slime kits that auto shops sell. I came to the view that it wasn't economic to buy a tyrefit kit in order to save a much cheaper tyre. It would be much cheaper to use a slime kit and buy a new tyre.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:44 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
I wanted to replace with non-RFTs, but Mercedes HQ would only OK if they had an RFT component.
Remind me - which country? Was this simply a condition of the dealer contributing part of the cost? When I bought the car I discussed with swapping to non-RFT at some point and there was no indication of any impediment. I wonder if HQ just didn't want to be seen to be invalidating the choice of OEM tyre.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:49 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by bips
Did you buy the compressor as well as the bottle of latex sealant? My understanding is that you need both. The sealant is expensive enough, given that it's single use, but the compressor that you also that need is very expensive. In theory a flat that could be plugged is still repairable if you use the tyrefit kit, but not if you use one of the cheaper slime kits that auto shops sell. I came to the view that it wasn't economic to buy a tyrefit kit in order to save a much cheaper tyre. It would be much cheaper to use a slime kit and buy a new tyre.
Bought only the container of pressurized sealant. First, the sealant is injected into the tire. Then, in a separate operation, any air pump/compressor can be used to inflate the tire. I decided to go with the Mercedes' sealant since it's mentioned in the owner's manual as an approved procedure -- presumably, not a warranty problem. Also, with the Mercedes' sealant the tire pressure sensors can be cleaned by rinsing with water.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:05 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by guido3
Bought only the container of pressurized sealant. First, the sealant is injected into the tire. Then, in a separate operation, any air pump/compressor can be used to inflate the tire.
Are you certain about that? I researched this and I thought that the bottle had a fitting that only connected to the compressor, and not to the tyre. There's also the question of how easy it would be to squeeze the bottle and inject its contents into the tyre, rather than having a compressor pump it in. Both of these things deterred me from going that route, as the compressor cost was three times the price of the bottle!

MB is not the only car maker that provides this style of kit, and so there may be cheaper options around, but you have to ensure that anything you buy has enough capacity for GLC tyres. Continental make a better-priced latex-based kit, but its capacity is just to small for GLC tyres. Of course it may work, if you're relying on it to deal with a flat you want to be sure that it will work.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:30 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Haven't used it, but here is how it is described online:

The pressurized can allows the sealant to be introduced inside the tire, using the tire valve as a mean of delivery. The sealant will then act as a band aid, covering the interior of the tire, as well as the puncture "wound." The second step is to use the air compressor to pump the air back into the tire.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replace stock tires with NOn-RFT?