GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Music playback annoyances

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
Music playback annoyances

I have a fully loaded GLC300 and there are a few things about how it handles media that appear limiting - unless I am missing some tricks or settings.

1) I use Itunes for music playback via bluetooth - the display does no show album covers when using bluetooth. Recently drove a BMW and that car IS able to display album covers using bluetooth.

2) Once a playlist is selected and playing there is no easy way to scroll songs up/down - turning the center console knob skips back and forth. Likewise, using the wheel mounted buttons skips back and forth. On the BMW there is a handy wheel switch that can be used to scroll and select by pushing it. What would make sense on the Benz is if the wheel mounted arrows scrolled up and down through the playlist and then one could hit the OK button to select a particular track. Not sure if there is some hidden setting to enable this behavior?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
...you can do what you wish if you play your itunes thru a usb connected ipod...i bought one off of ebay just to have itunes music library permanently installed in
GLC....music sounds better as well, but one is going backwards in technology a bit as Apple no longer sells ipods.
The following users liked this post:
Cntrypckr (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
BlueTooth limits maneuverability..... use wired USB connection.... or what a good # of my customers have been doing is they export their iTunes library to a shortie USB stick - and use that as their main music in their Mercedes - works slick !
The following 3 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
Cntrypckr (11-17-2017), dieseldoc (11-18-2017), GSOTXL (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
Apple no longer sells ipods.
Hmm. Have you contacted Apple to let them know that this page is obsolete?

(Granted, the iPod Classic is no longer available, and most people just use their phones these days, but the iPod Touch is still sold, and I'd guess that there are lots of older iPhones out there that are now functioning as iPod Touches.)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
BlueTooth limits maneuverability..... use wired USB connection.... or what a good # of my customers have been doing is they export their iTunes library to a shortie USB stick - and use that as their main music in their Mercedes - works slick !
I have not thought of that----what an interesting suggestion to try out! I've noticed the same issue when pairing my iPhone 6Plus to my GLC with BlueTooth, so I always connect it using USB cable. But what has been annoying is that when I use the control knob to skip forward if a song comes up on random shuffle (that I set using the Media settings, not on the phone) there is often a delay or when I skip across songs until I find the one I want to listen to, there can really be lags, or a previous song is queued up. I don't think I am explaining it too well, but it's just overall very klunky and I don't know if it's due to the GLC's infotainment system software or my iPhone 6 Plus (Apple is more than capable of introducing, and keeping, buggy behaviour).

I'll try the USB stick idea and see what that does...cool suggestion. :-)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by midesaka
Hmm. Have you contacted Apple to let them know that this page is obsolete?

(Granted, the iPod Classic is no longer available, and most people just use their phones these days, but the iPod Touch is still sold, and I'd guess that there are lots of older iPhones out there that are now functioning as iPod Touches.)
sorry, should have been more precise and said ipod nano...which is the true ipod. The touch is just an iphone without the phone, too big and clunky to stick in the center compartment IMO. But great if one has an old one to use i suppose, as the cost is free.
The nano in my center compartment also serves as a workout partner at the gym as its size is perfect.
But the USB stick idea is the one to use going forward I would say...makes sense.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
I'm sure there are several opinions on what is the "true iPod," depending on one's use case. Mine was that I wanted a device to carry my entire music collection, and pretty much the only device with widespread support that fit that bill was the 160GB iPod Classic. Unfortunately, the GLC doesn't seem to keep it from sleeping, so it's not too useful in that respect. Luckily, the USB drive option is quite usable. Even better, my SD slot was free. Using that instead leaves both USB jacks free for phone charging, if needed.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC 300
Been using a 32GB short USB stick for a while now in my former X3 and now in my GLC - works great - have about 3500 songs on it and set it to play random - ^^ using the SD slot also sounds good to keep the USB's free. I don't have a 32 SD around but I may try a smaller one to see how it works
Old 11-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Takehold
Been using a 32GB short USB stick for a while now in my former X3 and now in my GLC - works great - have about 3500 songs on it and set it to play random - ^^ using the SD slot also sounds good to keep the USB's free. I don't have a 32 SD around but I may try a smaller one to see how it works
any thoughts on sound quality compared to sirius?
Old 11-18-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
any thoughts on sound quality compared to sirius?
Since both are digital doesn't sound quality depend on the compression rate used? MP3's on a USB stick often use a bit rate of 128k bits per second. If Sirius radio uses the same bit rate then there should be no difference in sound quality, or am I missing something?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - depending on which SIRIUS channel - all SIRIUS channels are not same fidelity - some SIRIUS channels are "OK" and a good # are fidelity sh*t.

If you're asking if USB is better than SIRIUS - if the source material burned to the USB is primo - you will have a IMPROVEMENT !
The following users liked this post:
ted_jane (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 PM

GLC 300
^agree! I never thought sat radio sounded very good, plus I rip all my music at 256 which makes a difference as well. I am very happy with the sound of the USB in my GLC with Burmester
Old 11-19-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by GSOTXL
I have not thought of that----what an interesting suggestion to try out! I've noticed the same issue when pairing my iPhone 6Plus to my GLC with BlueTooth, so I always connect it using USB cable. But what has been annoying is that when I use the control knob to skip forward if a song comes up on random shuffle (that I set using the Media settings, not on the phone) there is often a delay or when I skip across songs until I find the one I want to listen to, there can really be lags, or a previous song is queued up. I don't think I am explaining it too well, but it's just overall very klunky and I don't know if it's due to the GLC's infotainment system software or my iPhone 6 Plus (Apple is more than capable of introducing, and keeping, buggy behaviour).

I'll try the USB stick idea and see what that does...cool suggestion. :-)

You can also put the music on an SD card and insert it into the slot in the console between the front seats. That way there's no USB stick hanging out to snag on things (and break)!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 PM

GLC 300
Tried that today and it works great! Shows artwork and you can set to random.