GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

What have been common problems in the GLC300 series?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by sgmstr
18 wheel . MY2016. Very very harsh.
Pirelli or Continental?
What pressure are you running? from factory i was close to 40 and went down to 32-34 and significant improvement
Old 05-10-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
Pirelli or Continental?
What pressure are you running? from factory i was close to 40 and went down to 32-34 and significant improvement
Pirelli RFT. When it was delivered, I noticed the ride was harsh so adjusted to 32 PSI. They have always been anywhere between 32 - 35 and they're still harsh.

I even lowered to 28 a few times - not any different.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 300
Spring release noise

I have a 2018 GLC 300. Whenever I start up the vehicle and accelerate initially, I hear a noticeable spring release noise from the driver's side front area. The sound emits at about 25 mph and then I don't hear it again for the entire ride. I took it to the dealer and reproduced the noise with the shop foreman in the passenger seat. He also reproduced the noise. After being at the dealer for the day, they said that the noise comes from a normal cycle within the transmission. I have never heard anything like this with other vehicles. Has anyone else experienced this noise or know what causes this? Thank you
Old 09-05-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300
This is your ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes) system energizing. Nothing to worry about. All GLC's make this noise when they pass approximately 28mph. Shame on the dealer for not knowing this.

My GLC makes this noise. Every loaner I've borrowed makes this noise.

Normal
The following users liked this post:
VAMBFAN22 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:57 PM

2018 GLC 300
Thank you Jetfuture for you expertise. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
[QUOTE=Jetfuture;7547289......All GLC's make this noise when they pass approximately 28mph.

Normal[/QUOTE]

Really?
Mine doesn't (at least not that is noticeable even when listening for it!)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes GLC 300
Worst Vehicle I have ever owned

Originally Posted by Eddie Schwartz
Bought our new GLC six months ago. Seems we got ourselves a lemon.
After six months of worry-free luxury driving, the engine light came on. Quickly followed by a warning that the traction control system and tire pressure monitoring system warnings.
Then the car would not go more than 5km/h. Shortly thereafter, the car then wouldn't start.
Mercedes towed it to the dealer where they determined that the gas pedal ... yes ... the gas pedal .. was faulty. They replaced the pedal with a 2018 model off their lot (since it would take over a week to get one from Germany) and the car drove well.
Three weeks later, the same exact thing happened. This time we were two hours away from home.
They towed the car to the nearest dealer and we had to rent a car to get home.
I sincerely hope this is not a problem that anyone else has to endure.

Fyi... they also replaced all the brake pads at the first service visit.
I just had this happen to me yesterday, only I wasn't driving. I started the car with the mbrace app, went to get into car about 12 min later, and it wouldn't start. I had engine light on, then the center screen said srs inoperable, sos inoperable, abs inoperable, etc... I call to get MB roadside and they were dispatching me out a tow. I waited 10 min and it started. I want out of this car so bad, its a 2017, I went to Europe to take delivery and it has been a disappointment ever since. I have had brake issue, 3 times at dealer with 2 fixes, still not fixed. Half of electronics failed last year and they said it was the headlight switch, had some sort of pressure relief valve go bad, rain sensing wipers are going off with no rain and at erratic speed. Also, my GLC has had 9 count them 9 recall notices and all of the still not fixed as parts are not available for some. I almost forgot I too put new tires on at 20K, dealer told me to switch brands and not put on the Pirelli's so we put on Goodyears they had in stock. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MODEL!!!!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Chris7445
I just had this happen to me yesterday, only I wasn't driving. I started the car with the mbrace app, went to get into car about 12 min later, and it wouldn't start. I had engine light on, then the center screen said srs inoperable, sos inoperable, abs inoperable, etc... I call to get MB roadside and they were dispatching me out a tow. I waited 10 min and it started. I want out of this car so bad, its a 2017, I went to Europe to take delivery and it has been a disappointment ever since. I have had brake issue, 3 times at dealer with 2 fixes, still not fixed. Half of electronics failed last year and they said it was the headlight switch, had some sort of pressure relief valve go bad, rain sensing wipers are going off with no rain and at erratic speed. Also, my GLC has had 9 count them 9 recall notices and all of the still not fixed as parts are not available for some. I almost forgot I too put new tires on at 20K, dealer told me to switch brands and not put on the Pirelli's so we put on Goodyears they had in stock. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MODEL!!!!
Not all GLCs are bad cars. I have a 2016 that I ordered from the factory and received in 2/16. Other than the recalls, I have only had one issue with the car and that was the auxiliary capacitor failed. I have had no other issues. It does not matter what brand or model you buy. You can always get a dud. It does mean all of them are bad. My 14 c class has been a dream. My 2008 GL320 over 8 years of ownership had several flaws. Thank goodness for the extended warranty.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
I had hoped my problems with my 2016 were because it was the first model year and mine was one of the first GLCs made. This is disappointing to hear.

My cars from Vance AL (4 total) have been quite well made. I'm sticking with GLEs from now on, I think.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM

GLC300
2018 GLC
- Brake squeal at low temps - resolved with new brake pads.
- Chittering sound from passenger side vent that sounded like a dying motor bearing - resolved with new blower motor
- Tires replaced at 30k - service tech said 'it's a heavy vehicle that you can drive hard, it's to be expected' - no real issue with that.
- Passenger side rear window switch broke off - replaced no issue at dealer
- Steering juttering/vibrating after hitting a minor bump - resolved with a software fix found on this board, thank you MBWorld posters!

More issues than I thought I would have from a Benz in the first 30k miles... but... it's a complicated machine and stuff happens. The software bug in the steering is concerning but I'm glad it was resolved.

gh
Old 12-17-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 ML350 and 2018 GLC
Our 2018 GLC is currently 11 months old with 9500 miles. Absolutely no issues or problems what so ever. I have the Pirelli run flat tires on the standard 18 inch rims and based on current tire wear they will last more than 30,000 miles. No brake squeal, tire slipping, etc. ride is comfortable also. Remember, you bought a SUV not a luxury sedan. I did purchase the factory “tool kit” with jack, lug wrench, etc from the dealer for $70 just In case I need to remove a tire. Mileage has been 24.5 MPG overall with 29 MPG on the highway. So, totally trouble free. We love the car and it is loving us back!
Old 12-17-2018, 04:59 PM

2019 GLC43 amg
After 3 years My GLC300 with all the options had ZERO issue except a faulty sunroof shade alignment on delivery.
Was in for for 3 services ( 2 A , 1B ) and winter tires on/off.
My 3y lease is now over and taking possession of a 2019 GLC 43AMG in two days. Have been waiting 4 months for this one!
Hope this one will be as reliable as my returnee.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by gholland
2018 GLC
- Chittering sound from passenger side vent that sounded like a dying motor bearing - resolved with new blower motor
- Tires replaced at 30k - service tech said 'it's a heavy vehicle that you can drive hard, it's to be expected' - no real issue with that.
- Steering juttering/vibrating after hitting a minor bump - resolved with a software fix found on this board, thank you MBWorld posters!

More issues than I thought I would have from a Benz in the first 30k miles... but... it's a complicated machine and stuff happens. The software bug in the steering is concerning but I'm glad it was resolved.

gh
Im interested in the software/jitter when hitting bumps. Do you have any info on that? I've noticed when going over some bumps, ie speedbumps, driveway to road it does a weird jitter but not every time.

charming (05-28-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 AM

2016 GLC300
Originally Posted by decorily
Really?
Mine doesn't (at least not that is noticeable even when listening for it!)
Yes, I'm going to call it normal as each of 4 cars all did it as the car accelerated past about 28 mph. I have a 2016. Perhaps they modified later editions and the noise is not present. I would compare a dealer loaner next time if you are concerned your car does not make a noise it should.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:13 AM

2016 GLC300
Sorry to hear your particular car is a disappointment. There is not many Tesla owners who have not had a lot of problems (and some even stranded). Yet they have one of the highest "owner satisfaction" scores. When you are talking about cars with all of the technology that ours have, there will usually be issues. My 2006 Honda has 122,000 miles and had a couple of years (2012 and 2013) where I spent almost $8,000 on the SUV (brakes, tires, exhaust system, alternator, radiator, and an expensive replacement of inboard dust covers on rear wheels which required replacing wheel bearings). But guess what? During all of 2018 I've done nothing but regular scheduled maintenance. Hondas of that period were incredibly simple and straight-forward in comparison to today's Mercedes-Benz. My GLC probably has double the amount of microswitches, electric motors, and all sorts of little sensors versus the Honda. If anyone feels like just because they spent $50,000 on a Mercedes that it should be more reliable than a $30,000 Honda, then I want some of what you are smoking. Simply put, you will likely require more maintenance with many different models of Mercedes. With that said, having 5 or 6 major issues with a GLC in 1 year of ownership is troubling, albeit certainly not normal.

From a design standpoint, they obviously have had 4 or 5 issues with the GLC, and I can assure you that Mercedes is well aware of them (brake squeal, poor tire performance from Pirelli extended-mobility tires, shifting issue while coming out of a turn which was corrected with a software update, recalls, etc.). The Tesla Model 3 came out a year or so after these GLC's and have had MANY more issues than the GLC, and it rolled out as a $60,000 car. But nearly every owner enjoys the car. We just know that we are going to have 2-3 issues a year (like most high-technology cars).
Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 AM

GLC300
Siren001 it's in this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ml#post7487414

LI46.35-P-062791

gh
Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM

2005 mercedes ml 500
Run flat tires?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:39 PM

2005 mercedes ml 500
2018 GLC300 problems

1. I get a whistling noise during the first mile or so on cold starts. Dealer has brushed me off.

2. I get a loud metal cracking sound from the rear of the car on cold starts. Dealer has brushed me off.

3. The windshield is covered in little star shaped dots all over which can't be wiped clean outside or inside. Yet to discuss with dealer.

4. Bad wind noise at highway speeds. Brushed off by dealer.

5. Harsh ride, especially over manholes, probably due to run flat tires.

Last edited by charming; 03-22-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by charming
1. I get a whistling noise during the first mile or so on cold starts. Dealer has brushed me off.

2. I get a loud metal cracking sound from the rear of the car on cold starts. Dealer has brushed me off.

3. The windshield is covered in little star shaped dots all over which can't be wiped clean outside or inside. Yet to discuss with dealer.

4. Bad wind noise at highway speeds. Brushed off by dealer.

5. Harsh ride, especially over manholes, probably due to run flat tires.
1..... can’t help
2......muffler-exhaust saying good morning it’s chilly to wake up.😂👋😂
3......all my cars have that on windshields from sand and other stuff on frwy can’t do anything glass shop can probably help if not deep if you call and ask
4..... check if you have acoustic glass should be stamped on bottom?
5..... change to regular tires (Michelin Defender LTX for me) and get AAA big difference
6..... great car have mine 2 years ain’t perfect but neither is life. Enjoy it.

Last edited by Sigp232; 03-22-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by gholland
2018 GLC

gh
Had a 2016. Despite two attempts, brakes would still squeal in cold weather on first starting off. Had a similar chattering but behind the driver's vent. Again, just in cold weather when starting off. The tires were wearing at around 14,000 miles. My take: don't buy the first year. I now have a 2019 GLE400, last year for this one. The new GLE will have been out almost 3 years when my lease on this one is up and hopefully will have most problems ironed out.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:40 PM

Volvo xc70
I have a fully loaded 2018 glc with air suspension with 16k miles on it. Have had no issues except the replacement of one faulty rear sensor early on. No squeaks, smooth ride even with run flats. Extremely satisfied. All my passengers remark about what a beautiful car.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:05 AM

2019 GLC 300 4-Matic
Anyone experiencing issues with their front sensors? Mine goes off randomly when I driver at low speeds when no one is in front of me. Sometimes the right side goes off and the lights in the cluster turn all the way to red, and sometimes the left side does the exact same thing. And also the front collision warning also goes off randomly when I'm driving at highway speed with no one near me. Potential issue or is it normal?
Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 PM

GLC 300
Not a good experience

I think ive suffered through all the problems listed here... owned for 3 years today. brakes were replaced 3 or 4 times, tires were completely bald at 27k miles. Battery replaced at 30k (2.75 years). Now my engine light is on again after I’ve needed to push the start button twice to start vehicle as well as having one weird incident in which the car accelerated 2 seconds after I took my foot off the accelerator... Great Car!! Never buying a Mercedes again. I’ve been in the shop like every month since I bought my car. Total pain in the ***. Not to mention my contacts don’t sync using Mb Bluetooth, but I have bigger fish to fry

Originally Posted by Eddie Schwartz
Bought our new GLC six months ago. Seems we got ourselves a lemon.
After six months of worry-free luxury driving, the engine light came on. Quickly followed by a warning that the traction control system and tire pressure monitoring system warnings.
Then the car would not go more than 5km/h. Shortly thereafter, the car then wouldn't start.
Mercedes towed it to the dealer where they determined that the gas pedal ... yes ... the gas pedal .. was faulty. They replaced the pedal with a 2018 model off their lot (since it would take over a week to get one from Germany) and the car drove well.
Three weeks later, the same exact thing happened. This time we were two hours away from home.
They towed the car to the nearest dealer and we had to rent a car to get home.
I sincerely hope this is not a problem that anyone else has to endure.

Fyi... they also replaced all the brake pads at the first service visit.
charming (05-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:08 PM

2019 GLC 300 4-Matic
Originally Posted by nikkikrames
I think ive suffered through all the problems listed here... owned for 3 years today. brakes were replaced 3 or 4 times, tires were completely bald at 27k miles. Battery replaced at 30k (2.75 years). Now my engine light is on again after I’ve needed to push the start button twice to start vehicle as well as having one weird incident in which the car accelerated 2 seconds after I took my foot off the accelerator... Great Car!! Never buying a Mercedes again. I’ve been in the shop like every month since I bought my car. Total pain in the ***. Not to mention my contacts don’t sync using Mb Bluetooth, but I have bigger fish to fry
To me most of these problems don't consider major issues and for sure your cars aren't lemons! It happens to every brand and model. Tires is mostly due to the brand/model of the tire and yes the crab-leg issue with the GLC, but many other cars have that issue as well (VW Atlas). As for the brakes, to me it's a good thing that the dealer is replacing them for free because they make noises, you are not paying for brakes! Contacts don't sync for sure either you are not doing something right or your phone is not compatible with the system.

I've owned various brands over the past years and I had small/big problems with all of them to the point which I realized it's not tied down to a specific brand/model. My 2016 Audi S3 needed a complete transmission replacement due to debris exist in the transmission oil. It cost the dealer around $20,000 and all covered under warranty, They had my car for almost 1 month and gave me a loaner.
nikkikrames (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:35 PM

GLC 300
Well, they may be nuissances but I have better things to do with my time than to be at the dealer and it’s not a low end vehicle. My husband drives a 2004 Camry (and he’s proud of it) and he finds it funny that his car has only been in the shop for oil changes in the past 3 years. Further, it’s going to feel more than just a nuisance once my 4 year warranty is up and I’ll be paying for my monthly visits. Plus not sure if the accelerator issue should worry me more

Last edited by nikkikrames; 03-28-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Additional detail

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What have been common problems in the GLC300 series?