Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > GLC Class (X253 )
What have been common problems in the GLC300 series? >

What have been common problems in the GLC300 series?

Notices
GLC Class (X253 )
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have been common problems in the GLC300 series?

 
Old 11-19-2017, 12:20 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
What have been common problems in the GLC300 series?

What have been common problems in the GLC300 series? So far I've only come across tire scrubbing but that was limited to RHD cars. Then there is a class action lawsuit about HVAC mold but it appears to skip the GLC line.
I'm coming from a VW background where I've dealt with frequently failing water pumps, rear main seals, and timing chain tensioners so now I would like to spend less time under the car and more on the road without resorting to something boring like a Honda
NRW2018 is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 04:40 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,941
Likes: 0
Received 576 Likes on 449 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly there was a "rear brake squeal problem" common to early gen - that has since been addressed.

Although not specific to the GLC - there have been three "recalls" depending on GLC year/production-date - the latest being the "clock-spring-airbag" - the 1st two have been handled effectively - roll-out is pending on the resolution for the 3rd .

Please understand that the feedback you will get to your thread will be those that have had "problems" who feel "obligated" to repost/re-comment - however have "not" have had problems - or problems they might have had were effectively/smoothly addresses - that vast/vast majority - do not necessarily feel the same obligation to post.

My personal opinion - and my perspective is based on about 80 on the street - GLC's have been solid.
fabbrisd1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:04 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
mikbar2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: S. Ca.
Posts: 389
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Poor wearing tires. Usually worn out in 20,000 miles or less. Personal experience and repeated by others on the forum.
mikbar2 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:02 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 248
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Impact harshness and vibrations after driving over rough pavement such as potholes and manhole covers has been a problem.
mtberman is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by mtberman:
charming (05-28-2019), NRW2018 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:41 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ireland
Posts: 435
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
GLC 250d 4matic
Originally Posted by mtberman View Post
Impact harshness and vibrations after driving over rough pavement such as potholes and manhole covers has been a problem.
+ 1 on the occasional WTF suspension moment!
Wind noise is also a common issue.
decorily is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 01:04 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: King George County, VA USA
Posts: 125
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2014 BMW R1200GS
Zero problems after one year and 17,000 miles of ownership. Super happy with this car.

Issue with brake pad squeal was fixed under warranty with a single visit to dealer.
George in KG is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:06 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Trumbull, CT USA
Posts: 518
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by George in KG View Post
Zero problems after one year and 17,000 miles of ownership. Super happy with this car.

Issue with brake pad squeal was fixed under warranty with a single visit to dealer.
that's good to hear about the brakes. i have heard a lot of posts about how they have not been able to resolve them. next visit i am going to report it for the first time hopefully it gets fixed first time as well. now that its getting cold its getting LOUD
ajmtbm is online now  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 PM
  #8  
DBV
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 246
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Our brakes have been replaced three times now and I don't have any confidence that they are fixed yet. They were quiet all summer, but some squeeking just started with the cold weather. We shall see how bad it gets when winter arrives. Our last brake fix was around Mar/April, so not sure if there is a newer fix since then. It definitely has been annoying issue and makes you want to get rid of the car when it happens. Other than that it has been a very good SUV.

When I had our car in for service last week, the dealer still said it is an issue that is still hit or miss.


Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
Frankly there was a "rear brake squeal problem" common to early gen - that has since been addressed.

Although not specific to the GLC - there have been three "recalls" depending on GLC year/production-date - the latest being the "clock-spring-airbag" - the 1st two have been handled effectively - roll-out is pending on the resolution for the 3rd .

Please understand that the feedback you will get to your thread will be those that have had "problems" who feel "obligated" to repost/re-comment - however have "not" have had problems - or problems they might have had were effectively/smoothly addresses - that vast/vast majority - do not necessarily feel the same obligation to post.

My personal opinion - and my perspective is based on about 80 on the street - GLC's have been solid.

Last edited by DBV; 11-19-2017 at 07:03 PM.
DBV is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:39 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 58
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by NRW2018 View Post
So far I've only come across tire scrubbing but that was limited to RHD cars.
Definitely NOT limited to RHD cars. Problem has disappeared when I installed the winter tires/wheels....until spring, anyhow.

Cheers,
Dave
DPelletier is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: King George County, VA USA
Posts: 125
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2014 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by ajmtbm View Post
that's good to hear about the brakes. i have heard a lot of posts about how they have not been able to resolve them. next visit i am going to report it for the first time hopefully it gets fixed first time as well. now that its getting cold its getting LOUD
I should clarify that it has been only a few weeks with the new brakes. The problem could return. The squeal with the original brakes didn't start until about 6 months of ownership. It was loud but only happened when backing out of the garage first thing in the morning. Annoying, yes but not something serious enough to slam MB as others have done.
George in KG is offline  
Old 11-20-2017, 02:03 AM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
Our brakes have been replaced three times now and I don't have any confidence that they are fixed yet. They were quiet all summer, but some squeeking just started with the cold weather. We shall see how bad it gets when winter arrives. Our last brake fix was around Mar/April, so not sure if there is a newer fix since then. It definitely has been annoying issue and makes you want to get rid of the car when it happens. Other than that it has been a very good SUV.

When I had our car in for service last week, the dealer still said it is an issue that is still hit or miss.
I do my own brakes. Hopefully this is an OEM pad/rotor issue that will disappear when I replace them with Brembo slotted discs and EBC "red" pads. After the embedding process, that combination has worked flawlessly on my VW Tiguan, keeping fade to a minimum as I'm coming down the curvy mountain roads here.
NRW2018 is offline  
Old 11-20-2017, 08:04 AM
  #12  
DBV
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 246
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
It most definitely is annyoying when buying a luxury SUV and Mercedes most definitely should be slammed for not fixing it correctly. When you buy a Mercedes you expect a quiet car, which every other Mercedes we have purchased has been. You don't expect your neighbors, family and public to be looking at your SUV making a loud screaching noise that hurts your ears! Embarassing and not what you expect from our $50k plus car. So, yes Mercedes should be slammed and the GLC braking thread on here is one of the biggest threads on the GLC forum.

Originally Posted by George in KG View Post
I should clarify that it has been only a few weeks with the new brakes. The problem could return. The squeal with the original brakes didn't start until about 6 months of ownership. It was loud but only happened when backing out of the garage first thing in the morning. Annoying, yes but not something serious enough to slam MB as others have done.
DBV is offline  
The following users liked this post:
waylo (03-18-2018)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 17
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300
7k miles, no issues here other than I couldn't justify the cash for the GLC43

gh
gholland is offline  
Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,941
Likes: 0
Received 576 Likes on 449 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... DPV... "Our last brake fix was around Mar/April, so not sure if there is a newer fix since then"

For those rear brakes that have been replaced this past spring - that do come up with this new "lesser cold weather squeal" now - the approved dealer fix is they remove the rear pads - sand/lvel them - and reinstall rear pads with Mercedes Brake "Goo" on back plate and sides of the pads.
fabbrisd1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 11:02 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 25
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 350e
My gripe is with the windscreen wipers. Especially with light and moderate rain, the action is far from smooth. Not what I'd expect from a car of this quality. I also find the variability of speed and intermittent action to be far inferior to that which I had on my Audi Q5. Bit worried to hear about the rapid tyre wear that some are reporting. I don't have enough mileage yet to judge whether I'm experiencing the same. Other than that, so far I'm pretty satisfied with my 350e. Very comfortable ride with the air suspension and the safety features I have (intelligent lighting, blind-spot warning, distronic) are all very useful. Have yet to use the automatic parking feature though - and the hybrid autonomy could be a bit more substantial..
kenny1406 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 12:00 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 81
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC300
The most common issues on this car having owned ours for 18 months and reading all of the comments:

1. Brake squeal when reversing (applying brakes at very low speed). We will be taking it in for the 20,000 mile B Service likely in January. We will be requesting the brake squeal issue be fixed yet again. As others have stated, it started at 5,000 miles or so and the revised fix from Mercedes seems to keep them squeal-free until the next cold season.

2. Wiperblades do not run smoothly over glass from light mist to light rain at lower vehicle speeds (high speed/heavy rain they work quite well). The dealer has done everything they can think of and they still don't run as smooth as either of my older Hondas.

3. Tire wear (replaced tires on my Honda Pilot at the same time we took delivery of our GLC300...the tires on the Pilot, not RFTs, look to be headed for 40,000 to 50,000 - plenty of tread...the GLC tires are coming up on the wear indicators, nearly no tread remaining)

Consumer Reports agrees with number 1 above and mentioned it in their recent ratings on the GLC300.
Jetfuture is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NRW2018 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
carnutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 32
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
QUESTION: when, either in time or miles, did the brake squeal start? (In other words, when might I expect the same?)

Last edited by carnutt; 11-23-2017 at 02:00 PM.
carnutt is offline  
Old 11-23-2017, 02:13 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 81
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC300
Originally Posted by carnutt View Post
QUESTION: when, either in time or miles, did the brake squeak start? (In other words, when might I expect the same?)
First of all, I wouldn't refer to it as a "squeak". A squeak would be like springs, suspension, door hinges. This is a SQUEAL - like some sort of artificial noise you can hear for 2 blocks. In fact, I've never heard it on a car in 46 years of living. There are youTube videos demonstrating the squeal.

With that said, most seem to buy their GLC300 new in the Spring or Summer of a given year, and will experience the squeal that first winter. Most seem to appear from around 4,000 miles to 10,000 miles or so. Ours showed up at about 5000 miles and 6 months of ownership. We have a 2016. In our case, it started in October of 2016, and the dealers finally got parts in late January and complied with the service bulletin (the initial service bulletin wasn't put out until December 2016). The squeal returned on our first drive after the service bulletin was done. MB then put out a 2nd service bulletin (revision) some time around February or March of 2017. We got ours in about March. It fixed the squeal about 99% of the time. With the dropping temperatures our squeal has returned in the past month. The difference this time is that they will also squeal when going forwards - usually in parking lots at 1-2 mph.

This case has likely impacted 1000's of their cars. The dealer was sort of smug in telling me "our 2 service loaners don't squeal". 3 months later he told me that both started squealing and they fixed those.

Last edited by Jetfuture; 11-23-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Jetfuture is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Jetfuture:
carnutt (11-23-2017), NRW2018 (11-23-2017), waylo (03-18-2018)
Old 11-25-2017, 10:43 AM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Trumbull, CT USA
Posts: 518
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Jetfuture View Post
First of all, I wouldn't refer to it as a "squeak". A squeak would be like springs, suspension, door hinges. This is a SQUEAL - like some sort of artificial noise you can hear for 2 blocks. In fact, I've never heard it on a car in 46 years of living. There are youTube videos demonstrating the squeal.

With that said, most seem to buy their GLC300 new in the Spring or Summer of a given year, and will experience the squeal that first winter. Most seem to appear from around 4,000 miles to 10,000 miles or so. Ours showed up at about 5000 miles and 6 months of ownership. We have a 2016. In our case, it started in October of 2016, and the dealers finally got parts in late January and complied with the service bulletin (the initial service bulletin wasn't put out until December 2016). The squeal returned on our first drive after the service bulletin was done. MB then put out a 2nd service bulletin (revision) some time around February or March of 2017. We got ours in about March. It fixed the squeal about 99% of the time. With the dropping temperatures our squeal has returned in the past month. The difference this time is that they will also squeal when going forwards - usually in parking lots at 1-2 mph.

This case has likely impacted 1000's of their cars. The dealer was sort of smug in telling me "our 2 service loaners don't squeal". 3 months later he told me that both started squealing and they fixed those.
this was similar to my experience. through the summer once in a while i would get a little noise when backing up out of the garage. when it got cold (20-35 degrees), turned loud. VERY LOUD.
In cold weather when parked outside for the day would it would squeal very loud for 2 or 3 brake applications. going to make an appointment to get this checked out fore the first time
ajmtbm is online now  
Old 02-20-2018, 03:29 PM
  #20  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
Not impressed

Bought our new GLC six months ago. Seems we got ourselves a lemon.
After six months of worry-free luxury driving, the engine light came on. Quickly followed by a warning that the traction control system and tire pressure monitoring system warnings.
Then the car would not go more than 5km/h. Shortly thereafter, the car then wouldn't start.
Mercedes towed it to the dealer where they determined that the gas pedal ... yes ... the gas pedal .. was faulty. They replaced the pedal with a 2018 model off their lot (since it would take over a week to get one from Germany) and the car drove well.
Three weeks later, the same exact thing happened. This time we were two hours away from home.
They towed the car to the nearest dealer and we had to rent a car to get home.
I sincerely hope this is not a problem that anyone else has to endure.

Fyi... they also replaced all the brake pads at the first service visit.
Eddie Schwartz is offline  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 57
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
So far for mine (took delivery July 2017) only the brakes squeaking when in reverse has been an (minor) issue. Good news: The dealer replaced pads at no charge. Bad news: I realized there isn't some sort of data base of reported problems (or maybe there is and my dealer just didn't check it)... point being he said there wasn't any alerts / bulletins on this ... yet on this forum there are TONS of folks with the same problem.

The media interface: Nothing has gone "wrong", but the more I drive it, the more I absolutely hate it. My next car absolutely MUST have Apple CarPlay or at least a more intuitive system. Coming from Lexus and Acura, this MB interface is bonkers. Simple things like accessing pre-sets, accessing phone speed dials. Overall the tech part has been a little glitchy -- sometimes the volume will get "stuck" -- not letting me turn it up/down. I have to unplug/restart everything for it to reset. When entering, the "don't forget your key" message all of a sudden replaced the "welcome with the cute little GLC car.
CasemLuke is offline  
Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 PM
  #22  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Trumbull, CT USA
Posts: 518
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by CasemLuke View Post
So far for mine (took delivery July 2017) only the brakes squeaking when in reverse has been an (minor) issue. Good news: The dealer replaced pads at no charge. Bad news: I realized there isn't some sort of data base of reported problems (or maybe there is and my dealer just didn't check it)... point being he said there wasn't any alerts / bulletins on this ... yet on this forum there are TONS of folks with the same problem.

The media interface: Nothing has gone "wrong", but the more I drive it, the more I absolutely hate it. My next car absolutely MUST have Apple CarPlay or at least a more intuitive system. Coming from Lexus and Acura, this MB interface is bonkers. Simple things like accessing pre-sets, accessing phone speed dials. Overall the tech part has been a little glitchy -- sometimes the volume will get "stuck" -- not letting me turn it up/down. I have to unplug/restart everything for it to reset. When entering, the "don't forget your key" message all of a sudden replaced the "welcome with the cute little GLC car.
agreed the interface a little wonky but after you get used to it, it is OK. definitely not very intuitive. when i do something i haven't done for a while sometimes take me time to look
i always had Dont forget your key when entering the car. never had a graphic. at the dealer sat in a c class did the same thing. welcome graphic would make mroe sense
...so would a door open warning when a door is open and car is not moving
definitely some odd design decisions and ways of operating
ajmtbm is online now  
Old 02-21-2018, 10:15 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 65
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
My only issue with the GLC300 is the wiper blade noise at high speed. It is fine at low wiper speeds. I know this is the opposite of what others described. But this issue is not a big deal for me.
Other than that all is fine so far with my GLC.
stath is offline  
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
 
jamespaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 65
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
While I love my car, here are some issues I have.

- Rattling centre media screen, certain bumps will cause it to vibrate
- Vibrating steering wheel when going over cobble stone roads
jamespaul is offline  
Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 PM
  #25  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Trumbull, CT USA
Posts: 518
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jamespaul View Post
While I love my car, here are some issues I have.

- Rattling centre media screen, certain bumps will cause it to vibrate
- Vibrating steering wheel when going over cobble stone roads
had a couple rattles, one very bad, fixed by dealer
check your tire pressure for steering wheel problem. if your tires are 40+ like mine were you will see a huge difference at 32 or 34. there is a long thread here on it. i think there also may be a software fix that some say helped a bit
ajmtbm is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What have been common problems in the GLC300 series?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: