GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Mercedes Benz GLC vs. BMW X3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by bips
Most of the GLC issues we're now discussing have been well covered on MBWorld. I'm more interested in hearing more about people's experience with BMW, even though this is an MB forum. Are BMW really less reliable than MB, or are the cases mentioned here isolated? How were BMW to deal with? Are they more or less trustworthy than MB? What's the long-term cost of ownership like? Perhaps this is the wrong place to raise these issues, since people posting here are likely to have made the switch to MB and so it's not a sampling of all views. I may be better going to that X3 forum, although the experiences of those who've owned both brands is really helpful. (I do really like the GLC, despite minor niggles.)

You'll get biased responses here and on the BMW forums.....that said we had no real issues with our previous X3 and our decision to get the GLC instead was solely based on our perception of the two after driving both.

Dave
Old 01-31-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
Very hard to generalize about reliability etc. Both brands are tech heavy cars and if things go wrong then both will be expensive if out of warranty. As some one has said already, go in with your eyes open re operating costs and then just pick the one you like and just enjoy it!

Goes without saying that the BMW drives like a BMW and the MB drives like an MB - I switch between the two and notice how the two ride and how the handling feels different. I enjoy driving both - but the BMW puts me in the BMW frame of mind (razor sharp handling) and the MB puts me the MB frame of mind (smooth ride).
Old 01-31-2018, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Had a few BMW'S and not had any issues, first Merc and apart from crabbing it is brilliant, much better than an X3 but new model will have improved it.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
I always BMW's and my wife Mercedes. I have had no problems with BMW's (knock on wood). I would only compare the GLC with the new X3, as the old X3 would not be a fair comparison. I will say BMW is light years ahead of Mercedes with technology, ie the command system is much better and so is HUD.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:53 AM

GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by DBV
I always BMW's and my wife Mercedes. I have had no problems with BMW's (knock on wood). I would only compare the GLC with the new X3, as the old X3 would not be a fair comparison. I will say BMW is light years ahead of Mercedes with technology, ie the command system is much better and so is HUD.
I agree with the HUD etc.....but the X3 interior just looked cheap compared to the GLC as did the small wheels....they really need to try to make it look like a scaled down X5 instead of a cheaper version.

JMHO

Dave
Old 02-02-2018, 07:28 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Agree with that too. So, the new X3 still looks the same inside? If so, that is too bad.

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I agree with the HUD etc.....but the X3 interior just looked cheap compared to the GLC as did the small wheels....they really need to try to make it look like a scaled down X5 instead of a cheaper version.

JMHO

Dave
Old 02-02-2018, 11:30 AM

GLC43AMG
No, the 2018 has an upgraded interior......but it still doesn't match the look and feel of the GLC's interior IMO.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 02-02-2018, 01:30 PM

GLC
The X3’s interior, when I cross shopped the X3 with the GLC, was a major reason I got the GLC.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:14 AM

GLC250
I was in the same boat when I bought my GLC. I was down to Q5 and XC60 because X3 wasn't released back then. I think it's still too early to decide whether X3 is any good. As for GLC, I am experiencing for the tire crapping issue and wiper screeching. I would probably sell it after 2 years of ownership and get something else.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Red face

Originally Posted by g_ngan
I, I am experiencing for the tire crapping issue and wiper screeching. .
That's bad !!!!
Old 02-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Originally Posted by g_ngan
I was in the same boat when I bought my GLC. I was down to Q5 and XC60 because X3 wasn't released back then. I think it's still too early to decide whether X3 is any good. As for GLC, I am experiencing for the tire crapping issue and wiper screeching. I would probably sell it after 2 years of ownership and get something else.
I know what you're saying. It's so embarrassing to drive a premium vehicle, only to have to clean up the mess the tires make. All the other cars just point the the MB and start laughing at it. I just keep telling myself it's not the car's fault, it just needs some more encouragement and time to learn to take care of itself.

As for the wiper screeching. I had more of a skipping situation when new, but over time it seems to have gone away. No replacement wipers or window treatments.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I confess that I was taking the figures in this post at face value:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ml#post7359733
I haven't checked them myself. I've just had my two year service at 35,000kms and the report said that I had 60% left on the front and 50% on the rear (which is odd that it's that way around - more wear on the rear). On that basis I'd be replacing pads at 70,000kms (44,000 miles) / four years. That's better than the other chap, but I've never had to replace brake pads in non-MB cars before that I can recall, and they've all done more kms than that. Wasn't something that I'd factored into my thinking.

The cost he was quoted was also a bit of a shock, and he found that an independent wasn't any cheaper on balance. I don't have a problem with non-OEM parts when it comes to oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, but when I started to research brake pads I found people who had tried OEM had experienced problems.

I don't want to divert this thread into a discussion of brake pad costs. I was only trying to point out that when comparing a GLC and an X3, to my mind there are two broad issues - how much we do or don't like each car as a package and to drive, and the issues of longer term ownership once the first flushes of infatuation and enjoyment have worn off.

As an ex-X3 F25 owner and current GLE driver, I'd say that brakes pad change depends a lot on the driving habits. Without too much throttle, I changed both pairs od brake pads on my previous X3 around 40 000 kms. /First the rear ones, becauase the stability systems are engaging the rear brakes from time to time/ I say that because 70 000 km before brakes change sounds really great result for me, although you are a bit disappointed with this.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes GLC, 2021 BMW X3
GLC and X3

Most of the GLC issues we're now discussing have been well covered on MBWorld. I'm more interested in hearing more about people's experience with BMW, even though this is an MB forum. Are BMW really less reliable than MB, or are the cases mentioned here isolated? How were BMW to deal with? Are they more or less trustworthy than MB? What's the long-term cost of ownership like? Perhaps this is the wrong place to raise these issues, since people posting here are likely to have made the switch to MB and so it's not a sampling of all views. I may be better going to that X3 forum, although the experiences of those who've owned both brands is really helpful. (I do really like the GLC, despite minor niggles.)
I had a 2013 BMW X3 which I loved but traded it in for a 2017 Mercedes GLC about 18 months ago. Comparing those 2 I would give advantage to GLC for its ride, comfort, luxury interior, quietness and outside styling. Advantage to BMW is a little better handling and of course free maintenance (now only for 3 years, 36k) as mercedes maintenance is very expensive... I think with the new 2018 X3 it may narrow the gap some, but not sure how much.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes Benz E200 Avantgarde 2016 + MercedesBenz GLC250 4Matic 2016
For sure, the X3 is in advantage because it came as a new model, however the current GLC came out in 2015 which is a quite long time for BMW to make a good market research and study the GLC to make the perfect X3 in order to eliminate competition. As usual, BMW were not brave enough to change the design of the X3 that much just as they do with any other car like the 5 series and 7 series. I call them facelifts and not new models. For sure you all saw the newest mercedes comand system on the A-Class and on the facelifted C-Class it is MINDBLOWING! It is a step ahead from the I-Drive. I think that GLC’s facelift will have this system. I didn’t like the BMW’s X3 exterior design nor it’s interior design at all. The GLC got that sharp, luxurious, and stylish sporty look! It is so comfortable from inside and the design is fantastic. I agree that there were some mechanical issues in the GLC, however these issues are not that big and irritating. On the other hand, the X3 is still a new car and for sure it will have mechanical problems just as any other car but because it’s still new, owners didn’t drive it enough for these issues to show up. This may put you in a neutral position, buying the GLC now is not a good decision because a new facelift is coming the upcoming year, and the X3 is still young for its issues to show up and its design is not a competitor of a GLC at any extent. If I were in your shoes I will wait for the new GLC because for sure they will tackle the issues of the current GLC in it.Good luck
Old 03-02-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
My research told me I prefer the current GLC over the facelift GLC. I don't like the new headlight, and there isn't enough change for the interior. Just look at the 2019 C class and you get a good idea of the 2019 GLC. There is a horse power bump, but honestly who cares? Mercedes doesn't do dramatic facelift. 2018 GLC options are very reasonable. We were able to get all we want, and nothing we don't want. $37K is a steal for this Merc.

We also cross chopped the X3. Keep in mind I have been with BMW for 11 years straight. The X3 looks good in pictures but ultimately I think GLC still looks better and will age better. I already think the X3 is over styled and looks a.bit odd. GLC IS THE BEST LOOKING Mercedes SUV, but X3 is not even the top two in BMW lineup even though it is new. Just my 0.02.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
The only drastic change is the infotainment, a lot better than current version.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:07 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by Philamg
The only drastic change is the infotainment, a lot better than current version.
That is still up in the air in my humble opinion. The base screen is the same 7 incher. The upgraded is now 10 incher wider screen. We don't know if the 10 inch screen is compatible with car play and Android auto which I'm is must have. I have never had a car intotainment that does not get outdated quickly. Carplay and Android Auto mitigates that problem. I personally like the base dial, and hate the hovering touch pad. The new touch pad is a step in right direction but loses the dial.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Wish they had removed the touchpad and left the dial, new screen is 10.25 and would imagine is compatible with carplay and auto.

Taken from review of new C class;

"The Comand infotainment system has been updated to the same Generation 5.5 standard as that used by the facelifted S-Class.

The C-Class also gets an optional smartphone integration supporting Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink, as well as a wireless charging pad. Further changes to the interior include revised wood trim elements and a new range of optional seats, including ones with a massaging function."

Last edited by Philamg; 03-02-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 4matic
We had (3) X3 M Sports ('08, '11 & '15) before changing over to a GLC300 last summer. My biggest complaint about the X3 was road noise at highway speeds. I actually pulled off I95 after traveling 1 exit when we first picked the car up to check to see if one of the rear doors were open; it was not open, the cars apparently are simply poorly sound proofed. A couple of months ago, I was given an X3 loaner when I took my M3 in for service, this car had about 600miles on it and was as noisy at highway speeds as our old '15. The acoustic glass & better sound proofing in the GLC eliminate virtually all road noise, thus it is a more pleasurable car to travel in.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes GLC, 2021 BMW X3
X3 vs GLC

Originally Posted by petercory
We had (3) X3 M Sports ('08, '11 & '15) before changing over to a GLC300 last summer. My biggest complaint about the X3 was road noise at highway speeds. I actually pulled off I95 after traveling 1 exit when we first picked the car up to check to see if one of the rear doors were open; it was not open, the cars apparently are simply poorly sound proofed. A couple of months ago, I was given an X3 loaner when I took my M3 in for service, this car had about 600miles on it and was as noisy at highway speeds as our old '15. The acoustic glass & better sound proofing in the GLC eliminate virtually all road noise, thus it is a more pleasurable car to travel in.
I agree. I had a 2013 X3 and loved it except for highway noise especially in back seat. That is why I bought a GLC... Much smoother and quieter..
Old 06-18-2018, 11:17 PM

2021 GLB 250
After two BMWs, I will pick up my 2018 GLC in just a few days. I love the look of the exterior and interior of the GLC. However, a big factor was price. I could not get a decent lease deal on a 2018 BMW X3. MB, on the other hand, was dealing on the GLC.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by GSOTXL
Now, THIS is a thread that I will follow for the next several months.
I currently drive a 2016 GLC 300 4Matic - 3-year lease that ends this December. There is A LOT about the car that I really like and love, but there are some things that irritate me.
What I love:
1) The look and style. Visually, it is beautiful and I feel that it fits me.
2) The performance. I love how peppy it is, and even at highway speed I can accelerate surprisingly more to pass.
3) The comfort. It IS comfortable on long drives and through heavy traffic. I LOVE roadtrips with it!

What I do not love:
1) The squeeks and rattles. This REALLY annoys me. I have not had any car that does this. My 1983 Volvo 240 GL (which I got in 1993) was solid. My 1989 Volkwsagen Jetta Carat was solid. My 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL was solid. My 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg was solid. My 2001 Audi A6 was solid. My 1999 Saab 93 was solid. My 2010 MB C300 4Matic was solid. My 2013 MB C300 4Matic was solid. My 2016 MB GLC300 4Matic rattles and squeeks. New tires (Continental run-flats, to replace the Pirelli runflats originally installed but wore very early, at just 15K miles) helped a lot but not 100%.
2) The Comand system...it's so clunky to use, but this will be true of all MBs with Comand.
3) There IS a history of recalls and warranty items, but I excuse that, for the most part, on the fact I got a first-year model and I assume that's just expected.
4) The turn radius...the ability to turn sharply at low speeds, such as in/out of parking spaces is pretty crappy. I thought at first it was just because it was a larger car than I have been driving before, but I had a 2018 MB GLE as a loaner recently and it turned as sharply as a sedan.
5) The MB internet connection and access to apps such as Spotify is ridiculously bad---I pre-paid 3 years of that, but cancelled it before the first year was up because it was terribly unreliable and low quality.
6) Why do we have to go to the dealer for map updates, or software updates? I thought I was on another planet when the BMW dealer told me that the BMW drivers can do this themselves 'over the air' without going to the dealer. Uhhh, Stuttgart---how about a fieldtrip to Muenchen to see how it 's done?!

So I've been also deciding what to do this fall....there are hints that there are some new features and a mild refresh for the 2019 GLC, most of what's been spied seems good, and I'd hope that with a more mature product, some of the quality issues have been remediated, but I am not sure I want to take that chance. But still, I am considering a 2019 GLC, or also strongly considering an X3 (will be 2019 MY). I test drove a 2018 X3 and quite liked it. I can't say I love the look AS MUCH as the GLC but I like the features more (except that I cannot get a tan synthetic leather with the options I want). Of course, I know that the 2018 X3 is a new model that may have quality issues of its own (I keep Googling for it). One day I am sure I will get a 2019 GLC and the next day I'm alll about the X3.

Anyway....tucked away in my blitherings above, I've given my perspective on the questions you've asked. The GLC is oustanding for comfort on long trips, and it has a history of concerns that have been, to now, covered under warranty. If you know of any BMW blogs that have the kind of driver engagement that MBWorld does, please let me know. I've found a couple but they don't have near the detail and engagement found here. But I have found, in some cases, that the BMW enthusiasts that post on those blogs can be even more snarky than some of the ones found on this site, but for the most part I think that most of the posts and posters are very constructive here and I appreciate it a lot.
I have a 2016 GLC300 (lease up in Jan.). I only have a a squeak when I go over a speed bump (and not all speed bumps). I have had several problems -- the infamous brake squeal, a parking light coming on by itself at night in my garage, sat radio not working sometimes. All have finally been fixed. The xlunking noise in the dash at startup when it's cold wasn't fixed because I had it in for service on warm couple of days, but I can live with that.

I love the interior -- the best part. The design and materials look like a class or two above. The lumbar support is the best I've ever found for my bad back. I haven't noticed a large turning circle, but if there is one compared to the GLE, it may be the narrower track doesn't let the wheels turn as much.

My design complaints? Run-flat tires. Small outside mirrors. No secondary sun visor. Small gas tank.

I'm probably going to get a 2019 GLC43 when my lease is up (unless Trump puts a tariff on imported cars), so I will be a repeat buyer.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by DPelletier
You'll get biased responses here and on the BMW forums.....that said we had no real issues with our previous X3 and our decision to get the GLC instead was solely based on our perception of the two after driving both.

Dave
Not true, you get the truth here. I have owned. 2017 glc 300 for a little over a year and have had nothing but troubles. If you don't believe me, consumers report rated the GLC as the most unreliable car (at #9). I have had 5 brake pads replacement and the car still squeal. Trust me, no matter how much you like the car the squeal will slowly get to you. For me it has now been a safety hazards because it distract me from the road. Almost got into 2 car accident because of the squeal. I now believe MB does not stand behind their products.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:22 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by Rockyrainier
Not true, you get the truth here. I have owned. 2017 glc 300 for a little over a year and have had nothing but troubles. If you don't believe me, consumers report rated the GLC as the most unreliable car (at #9). I have had 5 brake pads replacement and the car still squeal. Trust me, no matter how much you like the car the squeal will slowly get to you. For me it has now been a safety hazards because it distract me from the road. Almost got into 2 car accident because of the squeal. I now believe MB does not stand behind their products.
The way the internet works: Less than 1% of customers who are pleased with their cars come on the internet to rave about them. These are the true enthusiasts--many of whom frequent a place like this. On the other hand, 40% of customers who have a problem with their cars come on the internet to complain about them.* So internet forums are always biased toward problems with products, and often the most serious problems.

* = these statistics are completely made up by me, but probably pretty accurate.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:16 PM

GLC
Brake squeal does not equate to unreliable though. We forget that People buy Mercedes with higher expectations and standard, as well they should. However the GLC is actually very well priced compared to the typical “reliable” brands like Toyota, Honda, Mazda...etc.

i can complain about excessive wind noise and MB will take care of it. If I take my Subaru in for excessive wind noise I would just get a blank stare.

so far I don’t see any major reliability issues with GLC and air have read through all GLC forums. Yes all of them, every thread. I did so before making the purchase. I am more concerned about electronics like power steering column, power seat, lift gate and any other electronic gizmo you guys overpaid over brake squeal. The brakes are fanstastic imo fingers crossed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz GLC vs. BMW X3