GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Mercedes Benz GLC vs. BMW X3

Old 07-28-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by DDGator
The way the internet works: Less than 1% of customers who are pleased with their cars come on the internet to rave about them. These are the true enthusiasts--many of whom frequent a place like this. On the other hand, 40% of customers who have a problem with their cars come on the internet to complain about them.* So internet forums are always biased toward problems with products, and often the most serious problems.

* = these statistics are completely made up by me, but probably pretty accurate.
You are probably right statically, if that means anything😀. Anyways, I found this forum a few years back not to complain but to keep my sanity when I place an order for my GLC. Every car have problems but how a company deals with it is what matters. I truly hope they treat their customers fairly and stand behind their products. I will report back.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
Take A look at the spy shots of the new GLE. It has taken a lot of design features from GLC. A testament of how well GLC will age over time.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:34 PM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Brake squeal does not equate to unreliable though. We forget that People buy Mercedes with higher expectations and standard, as well they should. However the GLC is actually very well priced compared to the typical “reliable” brands like Toyota, Honda, Mazda...etc.

i can complain about excessive wind noise and MB will take care of it. If I take my Subaru in for excessive wind noise I would just get a blank stare.

so far I don’t see any major reliability issues with GLC and air have read through all GLC forums. Yes all of them, every thread. I did so before making the purchase. I am more concerned about electronics like power steering column, power seat, lift gate and any other electronic gizmo you guys overpaid over brake squeal. The brakes are fanstastic imo fingers crossed.
I am happy for you because you are the lucky ones with no break squeal. Mercedes-Benz have not figured out what the heck is going on with those breaks, it may be a bigger issues until they fix it. This is a safety concern now that I had 5 new sets of break pads and the problem is still their. Something else is not right.

And yes we buy a Mercedes-Benz for quality and luxury and everything else that's comes with it. Therefore I can not accept the nasty sound of break squeal and squeak while I drive. That is why I paid that kind of money for a Mercedes-Benz.

When my neighbor hear me coming in to my driveway and told me that I should have bought a Chrysler....well I will let you readers decide what that means.

Last edited by Rockyrainier; 07-28-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:45 PM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Take A look at the spy shots of the new GLE. It has taken a lot of design features from GLC. A testament of how well GLC will age over time.
You are right, the GLC is a beautiful car but if you have the nasty sound of break squeal and squeak, it's only a matter of time before the car get real old and ugly. Our sights, sound and touch needs to be balanced.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
With 54,000+ miles on my 2017 GLC 300 I can't find much to complain about. Sure, I've got the brake squeal, first thing in the morning when I back out of my parking space, then it goes away. Nothing to get my knickers in a knot over.

The only genuine warranty claim I have had, as opposed to recalls, involves a speaker mount that had come loose and was rattling. The front suspension liked to do a dance on rough roads when I first got the car, but the dealer took care of it mostly and the rest of the cure was a set of Michelin non-run-flat tires. The dealer also cured excessive wind noise by installing acoustic side windows, but neither that nor the suspension were reliability issues in the sense that something broke.

I've griped about the Command system a lot, being harder to use and more limited in capabilities than on either my Audi or BMW. On the other hand, I've never had it fail, unlike both my Audi and BMW, and I've learned to work around its limitations. I use the Mercedes ME app almost exclusively for entering destinations via voice-to-text.

The poor Consumer Reports reliability rating seems to be based on the recalls, of which I grant there have been too many. But it doesn't seem fair to lump recalls in with reliability issues. After all, the car runs fine.

I chose the GLC over the X3 in large part because the seats were more comfortable. I've had seat problems with other cars that were bad enough that I had to trade them, incurring some pretty stiff losses, and didn't ever want to have to do it again. It turns out that the GLC's seats are so good for my lousy back that they are downright therapeutic. That's right, my back feels better after a 2-3 hour drive than before.

Now if I could just get a doctor to write a prescription ("One Mercedes-Benz 300 GLC, drive 2-3 hours a day or more as needed for back pain") and get my insurance company to cover it.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:11 PM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by ChinaBob
With 54,000+ miles on my 2017 GLC 300 I can't find much to complain about. Sure, I've got the brake squeal, first thing in the morning when I back out of my parking space, then it goes away. Nothing to get my knickers in a knot over.

The only genuine warranty claim I have had, as opposed to recalls, involves a speaker mount that had come loose and was rattling. The front suspension liked to do a dance on rough roads when I first got the car, but the dealer took care of it mostly and the rest of the cure was a set of Michelin non-run-flat tires. The dealer also cured excessive wind noise by installing acoustic side windows, but neither that nor the suspension were reliability issues in the sense that something broke.

I've griped about the Command system a lot, being harder to use and more limited in capabilities than on either my Audi or BMW. On the other hand, I've never had it fail, unlike both my Audi and BMW, and I've learned to work around its limitations. I use the Mercedes ME app almost exclusively for entering destinations via voice-to-text.

The poor Consumer Reports reliability rating seems to be based on the recalls, of which I grant there have been too many. But it doesn't seem fair to lump recalls in with reliability issues. After all, the car runs fine.

I chose the GLC over the X3 in large part because the seats were more comfortable. I've had seat problems with other cars that were bad enough that I had to trade them, incurring some pretty stiff losses, and didn't ever want to have to do it again. It turns out that the GLC's seats are so good for my lousy back that they are downright therapeutic. That's right, my back feels better after a 2-3 hour drive than before.

Now if I could just get a doctor to write a prescription ("One Mercedes-Benz 300 GLC, drive 2-3 hours a day or more as needed for back pain") and get my insurance company to cover it.
My break squeal and squeak constantly. By the way, consumers report said "the breaks and suspension was the biggest issue of the car".
The following users liked this post:
Philamg (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Cannot understand why mb cannot sort the brake squeal on the 300, as far as I am aware there is no squealing on the UK models of the GLC.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:18 AM

2017 GLC 300

Last edited by Rockyrainier; 07-29-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLC300W
Hard to say exactly. Drove the X3, just didnt like it.
My GLC300 rides on airbags, which no test drive of anything had. My GLC300 drives nice and I use the hatchback often. I do however like Lexus more than MB, but the GLC300 fit my needs.

An AR Giulia Coupe is on my list, still saving some $$ for that.